The FAL Files

The FAL Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Imbel handguard refinish (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47563)

WJ-Polish Guy August 18, 2002 21:48

Imbel handguard refinish

I got some Imbel handguards to refinish. What is the best method.
I do not like persolaly paint on plastic, but after light sanding i can see all those glass fibers on the surface. Would bead blasting hurt those? Can I get A2 type matte finish on those or better to coat them?

Mosin Guy August 18, 2002 21:56

Hey WJ ,what ever you do dont blast them as it just raises more of the Fiberglass fibers that you noticed when you sanded them down,I think maybe coating them might be the best way to go.HTH

W.E.G. August 18, 2002 22:13

Truck bed liner to the rescue.

Hebrew Battle Rifle August 18, 2002 23:28

BONDO

Black Teflon Moly spray on oven cured finish. Bake at 250 degrees for one hour on aluminum foil covered cookie sheet.

Arby August 18, 2002 23:31

Is there no way to restore the original look without painting them? I've got a couple of sets of Imbel hanguards, and really hate to use paint.

I've searched the archives for ideas, but none I've found work for me. Like WJ, I hate to paint over plastic.

Surely there must be a cure for the "swirlies" on the handguards, without having to use paint.

Any ideas?

Hebrew Battle Rifle August 19, 2002 02:42

Quote:

. Like WJ, I hate to paint over plastic.
Ever seen a Chevy Corvette? Fiberglass bodies....and paint all over them.....

Arby August 19, 2002 21:16

Mosin Guy,

You suggest coating them. What with? TIA.

gunsmith_tony August 19, 2002 21:50

Either coat or replace. Definately do not blast them.

MM in NM August 19, 2002 22:24

Quote:

Originally posted by gunsmith_tony
Either coat or replace. Definately do not blast them.
Excuse me guys but this thread has confused me. First we get a guy that's retentive about painting on handguards, though it's done regularly, and wants some majic elixer to make used, already sanded handguards look like new and then we get well respected Tony saying "Definately do not blast them." but you could coat em.
I've found that a light blast, you rough up the gel coat so the coating will stick very well but don't round off the edges, followed by a coat or two of bedliner make the HG's look GREAT and it's extremely durable. True, not exactly the way they came from the factory (swirls and flaws and all) but look great anyway. I think paint wouldn't look all that great as the reinforcing fibers are raised and it would look hairy, but that also only makes the bedliner stick very well. I do it regularly and then often paint on top of the bedliner or leave em the rather pleasing black texture..
If you want like new looking factory stock handguards you'll, I'm afraid, have to buy new handguards,, or coat em. (just like Tony said...)

Arby August 19, 2002 23:19

Quote:

Originally posted by MM in NM

If you want like new looking factory stock handguards you'll, I'm afraid, have to buy new handguards,, or coat em. (just like Tony said...)

Meaning no disrespect to Tony or anyone else, but there has been no operational definition of "coat" in this thread. By "coat", is everyone referring to bedliner? HBR referred to oven curing black Teflon Moly. Is that the definition?

I have followed threads concerning rejuvenating Imbel handguards for months, and have searched the archives looking for answers. I have seen some posts that claim success, without painting. I have had no such success. I have queried others off-line on the subject, and some are as perplexed as I am about purported success without paint.

MN: yours is the closest contribution to the discussion that seems to be a definitive: "No, you can't have the results without paint, bedliner, etc." If "No" is the answer, I can accept that. Thanks!

WJ-Polish Guy August 20, 2002 15:52

Quote:

Originally posted by MM in NM

Excuse me guys but this thread has confused me. First we get a guy that's retentive about painting on handguards, though it's done regularly, and wants some majic elixer to make used, already sanded handguards look like new and then we get well respected Tony saying "Definately do not blast them." but you could coat em...

Excuse me, but where that wecsog enthusiast come from?

Ok pop, just for your information. You get plastic handguards, stock ot PG (except for imbel HG, thanx for advice guys) you sand down gauges and bead blast plastic for factory new look. It is type of finish Pingueen use on their premium stock sets. Other option is to go thru sanding proces all the way down to wet 600 grit for shiney factory look.

Beadliner that is "excuse mua", Bubba`s mark and it look like, you know... s..t.
So realy there is no majic just some basic knowledge involved, reaching beyond beadliner, rust oleum, or grill spray paint no matter how regulary it is done in land of Bubbas. Hope this help.:rofl:

1006587 August 20, 2002 16:15

Re: Imbel handguard refinish

Quote:

Originally posted by WJ-Polish Guy
I got some Imbel handguards to refinish. What is the best method.
I do not like persolaly paint on plastic, but after light sanding i can see all those glass fibers on the surface. Would bead blasting hurt those? Can I get A2 type matte finish on those or better to coat them?

WJ,
I've worked with fiberglass a lot. Sanding and blasting will just raise more strands of fiberglass. If you want to keep the original look, the best bet would be to coat with West System epoxy. You can paint this on in a thin coat with a cheap foam brush. If you use the long cure stuff, it will level itself out pretty well. You will need to do about three coats and recoat after the last has gelled. First coat will seal the fibers, second and third will fill all the imperfections. It will be very glossy and you will have to sand with 600 grit to get rid of the shine.

'TUDE August 20, 2002 16:47

Quote:

Beadliner that is "excuse mua", Bubba`s mark and it look like, you know... s..t.
So realy there is no majic just some basic knowledge involved, reaching beyond beadliner, rust oleum, or grill spray paint no matter how regulary it is done in land of Bubbas. Hope this help.:rofl:

WJ, I understand your thoughts about "bubba" looking jobs. There are some that you can see from a mile away. I'm not bragging but there is a right way and a wrong way to bedliner furniture. I've had many people ask me to do theirs as they thought mine looked original (on Imbel handguards). Many jobs I have seen have the bedliner globbed on giving it a splattered look. If done right, it comes out very smooth.
I don't have a pic of the origial black bedlinered handguards I last did, but i think the contrast of the green in the below pic will give you an idea of how even and smooth it can turn out using spray bedliner.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...f/fdf25188.jpg

gunsmith_tony August 20, 2002 17:22

Look guys...he said he had already sanded them and could see the glass fibers sticking out. Blasting them will only worsen the situation. I'm not sure why he has a problem with coating them, but in the end...it's a rather narrow field of choices. Either keep them as-is, replace them with new ones, or coat them with something. Just my advise. ;)

gunsmith_tony August 20, 2002 17:32

Defination of "Coating" for the purpose of this Forum is this: Whatever YOU like. Some are happy with paints, some like bedliner, hell...I don't care if you use pink shelf paper. (wouldn't recomend it though) :D

WJ-Polish Guy August 20, 2002 17:45

Quote:

Originally posted by gunsmith_tony
. I'm not sure why he has a problem with coating them, but in the end...it's a rather narrow field of choices ....
Yup not much choices now. Its not like fibers are sticking thru yet, but I do not like swirly fiber look ider. I guess i will send stock set to Mac`s lets see what he can do with them...

Why I do not like coating in general? it look good when freshly done but after short time with nicks and scratches look bad. Nothing wears like solids

Yes, some beadliner jobs are nice. I just got set of L1 forniture from firefly and I`m rather impressed.

gunsmith_tony August 20, 2002 21:18

Just sent you an email WJ.

Arby August 20, 2002 22:13

Despite the obvious signs of exasperation among some of the participants in this thread (me included), it is shaping up nicely.

Some good information is coming to light. I hope the thread continues to develop. Many of us have well made but heavily used Imbel hanguards. It is a shame to see these components not refurbished and restored to their fullest potential. That's what this forum is all about: restoration of fine MBRs and their component parts.

Thanks to all who have contributed. Please keep the ideas coming!

W.E.G. August 20, 2002 22:39

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

....I guess i will send stock set to Mac`s lets see what he can do with them...

Mac's "BUGS N' STUFF" camo

187 August 21, 2002 06:23

I have used Brownell's alumahyde II and their Baking Lacquer with great results. It doesn't come off unless you are really trying, i.e chiseling it of with a screwdriver. Both are impervious to cleaning chemicals. It looks very close to original as long as it is sprayed properly.

dougjones31 August 21, 2002 22:44

refinishing plastic stock and handguard

I have used Brownells Alumahyde II also. It works great and looks great. The fibers that show in the handguards will cover and the finish will look very smooth. If I could figure out how to post pics you could see them!

hunterwarrior August 22, 2002 07:34

What is the brand name of bedliner that is used?

Derby FALs August 22, 2002 21:56

Try "Black Epoxy Appliance Paint" from Home Depot. Krylon I believe.