The FAL Files

The FAL Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   The FN Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Best FAL grip (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315159)

Michael64 August 07, 2011 01:07

Best FAL grip
 
Opinions on what the best or most comfortable pistol grip for the FAL?

nwobhm August 07, 2011 05:45

The original plastics.

Slo cat August 07, 2011 07:18

I like this one:

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/4...oup004grip.jpg

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/1...lygroup001.jpg

This is an ERGO grip, but unfortunately they no longer make it. Rarely can be found on the Marketplace.

It is made from a rubber-like material that has a little 'give' to it.

Best Regards,
Slo cat

O'DubhGhaill August 07, 2011 08:12

I considered the SAW grip with its reduced angle, but thicker grip, and ultimately felt the original was simply the best. I considered this with plain hands, light gloves, winter gloves and for me, the original plastic is the best. I did apply some skate tape, but it did not alter the grip in any way.

Vepr762 August 07, 2011 10:14

I would say the original with the hogue slip on grip. It can be annoying to put on but the skate tape would be a good idea that I overlooked.

DakTo August 07, 2011 10:23

I like the original plastic grips and especially the Argentine plastic grips which were sold by Armscorp and were on their imports. The grips were a little slimmer in the yoke area for a smaller hand.

kysjck August 07, 2011 15:54

The SAW grip revives the grip angle of the early prototypes.The selector is designed for rifles with the early grip.The difficulty many right hand shooters face reaching the metric selector on a shouldered rifle is well known.The Rifle Steering Committee recommended the changes that gave us the inch selector.If one is a righty and is fond of the metric plastic grip the DSA inch type metric selector might be a good idea.For us south paws the metric selector works fine.We learned how on M16s and ARs. The inch selector needs to be modified (see pg.72 Skennerton's SLR) for south paws.The best grip for you may not be best for others.

O'DubhGhaill August 07, 2011 18:53

I changed out the selector on my SAR-48 immediately for the DSA extended and never looked back as it works perfectly now. I also changed the mag release for an original Israeli and that works much better as well.

Battleborn2002 August 07, 2011 21:12

I like the original grip. I changed one a little by putting a Houge slip-on grip on it. It feels good, but was a tough one to install.

jeffrey August 08, 2011 11:06

Century's grip is a hair longer and to me, is the most comfortable. Only downside is that they don't have the little groove for the cleaning kit retainer. 30 secs w/a dremel.

Fang August 08, 2011 20:41

I could never stand the original grip angle, even though I liked how it looked. Once I switched to a SAW grip it was like night and day. Seems like I'm in the minority, though.

A square 10 August 08, 2011 21:20

i like my original on the FAL - it fits well and feels right - but i did go with an aftermarket on my AR -


http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r.../FN-FAL003.jpg

AndyC August 08, 2011 21:48

I like the rakish looks of the original grip, but the angle and size of the SAW grip fits my hand better; I also added a Hogue slip-on to it.

Dave Hume August 08, 2011 22:48

Originals on mine.

Older and original is better....so my wife says.

Hoot G August 09, 2011 12:44

I have an Ergo, a SAW, and the standard grip. For me, the SAW wins, no question.

"Best" depends on your hand size and shape.

Michael64 August 09, 2011 15:36

The standard metric grip seems to have too much rake to me. So have been using a Penguin US grip as they dont have as much rake. Tried the SAW grip and didnt feel as good to me.
Found a Ergo, G3 type FAL grip and will see about that.

Bwana John August 09, 2011 15:39

Real M-249 SAW grip is best for me.
Tapco SAW grip is second.

Michael64 August 09, 2011 15:43

Quote:

Originally posted by Bwana John
Real M-249 SAW grip is best for me.
Tapco SAW grip is second.

I will have to check and see which one I have.
Will it be marked Tapco?

bykerhd August 09, 2011 15:43

The "real-deal" SAW grip DSA was, is ? selling is my favorite.

atp August 10, 2011 12:24

The standard FAL pistol grip is fatter than I like, so I went with the ERGO FAL Metric HK G3 Style Tactical Sure Grip, which is noticeably thinner. Currently $35 from DSA.

dirtyrice August 10, 2011 12:28

I use the originals. But if I were to use an aftermarket part it would be a saw grip. It seems to be the most popular because the shape is close to the originals but the material/surface is a lot more grippy. Which is nice when you have sweaty hands.

Slick plastic furniture can be the suck when its over 100 degrees outside. But of course the wood stocks on my l1a1s are just as bad when covered in sweat. Might be why the brits added texture to their plastic furniture.

Even though I have small hands I don't like the g3 style grips.

IRONWORKER August 10, 2011 19:14

Quote:

Originally posted by Hoot G
I have an Ergo, a SAW, and the standard grip. For me, the SAW wins, no question.

"Best" depends on your hand size and shape.


+1 SAW is the best

gunsmoke August 11, 2011 19:06

I've always had a special affection for the GALIL PG and wished someone would make a clone for the FAL until then I like the original Belg

JeffJ August 11, 2011 19:07

I have the hogue or saw on all of mine.

Michael64 August 11, 2011 19:16

Quote:

Originally posted by JeffJ
I have the houge or saw on all of mine.
Houge??

JeffJ August 11, 2011 19:26

Quote:

Originally posted by Michael64


Houge??

typo, i don't hunt and peck...everyone's an English major!

Michael64 August 11, 2011 19:32

Quote:

Originally posted by JeffJ


typo, i don't hunt and peck...everyone's an English major!

Ok but what grip are you talking about?

JeffJ August 11, 2011 20:46

The rubber sleeve with finger groves that goes over the stock grip. DSA sells them. they are cheap too.

http://www.dsarms.com/Rubber-FAL-Gri...ductinfo/087S/

jeffrey August 11, 2011 21:17

Quote:

Originally posted by JeffJ
The rubber sleeve with finger groves that goes over the stock grip. DSA sells them. they are cheap too.

http://www.dsarms.com/Rubber-FAL-Gri...ductinfo/087S/

What's the secret to getting those on ? Years ago, I thought they looked cool, so I ordered two from DSA. Both ripped like cheap condoms when I tried to stretch them over my standard Imbel grips.

Michael64 August 11, 2011 21:18

Quote:

Originally posted by jeffrey


What's the secret to getting those on ? Years ago, I thought they looked cool, so I ordered two from DSA. Both ripped like cheap condoms when I tried to stretch them over my standard Imbel grips.

Take the grip off of your FAL and put the sleeve on from the top.

Battleborn2002 August 12, 2011 00:43

Quote:

Originally posted by Michael64


Take the grip off of your FAL and put the sleeve on from the top.

Good luck! They have about a 50% fail rate.

lew August 12, 2011 07:09

The South African made grips fit my large-ish hands quite well. Combined with the long buttstock (for me monkey arms), it makes for a very comfortable fit. If I were to use a shorter, standard-length stock, something like a SAW grip would probably be better.

MAINER August 12, 2011 08:51

Quote:

Originally posted by Slo cat
I like this one:

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/4...oup004grip.jpg

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/1...lygroup001.jpg

This is an ERGO grip, but unfortunately they no longer make it. Rarely can be found on the Marketplace.

It is made from a rubber-like material that has a little 'give' to it.

Best Regards,
Slo cat


Hmmmm! Wonder what Moses's has planned after the mag project?

:biggrin:

Slo-cat; Is this it?
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=619052

Slo cat August 12, 2011 10:22

MAINER,

Close, but not the same. The one in my pics originally had an adjustable palm shelf and the grip itself was about two inches longer, for the palm shelf attachment. The palm shelf was taken off, then the extra two inches was cut off. I bought another one like this on the MP, made the conversion, and it is now on my FAL Para.
http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/7821/004xjs.jpg
Best Regards,
Slo cat

jugrunner August 12, 2011 12:02

WOOD ... !

O'DubhGhaill August 12, 2011 14:57

Quote:

Originally posted by atp
The standard FAL pistol grip is fatter than I like, so I went with the ERGO FAL Metric HK G3 Style Tactical Sure Grip, which is noticeably thinner. Currently $35 from DSA.
How do you like it? How is it with gloves, etc.?

Is the SAW grip thicker than the standard factory metric plastic grip?

Thanks in advance.

EBRfan August 12, 2011 18:28

Quote:

Originally posted by Fang
I could never stand the original grip angle, even though I liked how it looked. Once I switched to a SAW grip it was like night and day. Seems like I'm in the minority, though.
But not alone. Same thing here.

gunplumber August 13, 2011 11:19

My favorite is the G3 version. But since not availalbe, I took a regular grip and filled it with marine-tex boat resin, and shaped it myself.

Inkognito August 13, 2011 12:53

I prefer the SAW grip that I got from DSA. I installed it on my Para build because I was customizing all sorts of thing on that rifle and I wanted it just how I wanted it. However, I find nothing wrong with the standard FAL grip and on my unmolested rifles I have left the standard grip.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2q9yipw.jpg

gobbler August 13, 2011 13:17

Quote:

Originally posted by Slo cat

MAINER,

Close, but not the same. The one in my pics originally had an adjustable palm shelf and the grip itself was about two inches longer, for the palm shelf attachment. The palm shelf was taken off, then the extra two inches was cut off. I bought another one like this on the MP, made the conversion, and it is now on my FAL Para.
http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/7821/004xjs.jpg
Best Regards,
Slo cat

Falcon has the Ergo grips, even one on GB for sale from them.

gobbler

jeffrey August 13, 2011 13:37

Quote:

Originally posted by A square 10
i like my original on the FAL - it fits well and feels right - but i did go with an aftermarket on my AR -


http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r.../FN-FAL003.jpg

Asquare10,
I remember that from when you posted it a awhile back. Beautiful!, but sorry, that shiny,fresh from the mold grip is fugly. Send it to me and I'll put a little honest wear on it for you.

O'DubhGhaill August 13, 2011 19:14

Quote:

Originally posted by EBRfan


But not alone. Same thing here.

I just ordered a DSA SAW grip for my SAR-48 after looking at all options and considering everyone's input in this thread. I expect good things to come...

Ironhandjohn August 13, 2011 19:57

The original grip, combined with the standard Israeli safety, work perfectly for me. Being left-handed, I find the Izzy safety easiest to use. By curling my trigger finger back or forward I can flick the safety on and off much easier than any of the other ones I've tried.

Slo cat August 13, 2011 20:17

Quote:

Originally posted by gobbler
Falcon has the Ergo grips, even one on GB for sale from them.
Falcon has an Ergo grip for the FAL,
http://www.falconarms.com/image/cach...er-250x250.jpg
but not the one showing on my FAL's. The Falcon Ergo grip is quite a bit different.
BR, Slo cat

Michael64 August 13, 2011 20:31

Quote:

Originally posted by Slo cat

Falcon has an Ergo grip for the FAL,
http://www.falconarms.com/image/cach...er-250x250.jpg
but not the one showing on my FAL's. The Falcon Ergo grip is quite a bit different.
BR, Slo cat

That Falcon grip is the one I ordered.

gobbler August 13, 2011 20:43

My experince with Falcon, if you are not satisfied, they will refund. Dealt with them on numerous occasion & have been well satisfied with their service & products.

gobbler

one hand clapping August 14, 2011 10:15

Blue Monster wood on my rhodie. He made it smaller for my hand
My youngest son has a saw grip on his that fits me good also. then the inch pattern wood or marynal.

OHC

cavegeo August 14, 2011 10:47

Quote:

Originally posted by Slo cat

Falcon has an Ergo grip for the FAL,
http://www.falconarms.com/image/cach...er-250x250.jpg

I just installed one of these on my STG. It felt good as it did not distract me while I was sighting in my new scope. :biggrin:

zeke August 15, 2011 19:47

Have the Falcon ergo grip on all sevral ar's, ak's and Fal's. The little bottom trap piece can be kinda cheesy, but easily removed. The rubber texture and angle fits my preference much better than the stock grips.

Course am also using Houge rubbers on the revolvers that get shot for any duration, just ain't no accounting for no taste.

O'DubhGhaill August 18, 2011 12:00

Well, I was seriously incorrect in my discounting of the SAW grip for the original plastic above. I received my DSA SAW grip yesterday, installed it last night, and cannot believe the difference. It is not noticeably thicker, just plain better feeling all around. Not only is the angle better, but my grip feels much more solid and a bit higher, allowing greater grip control, while allowing the selector to be in easy, effortless reach. I was able to fit a small USGI grease tub made for 1903s perfectly in the circular recess inside, as well as a small container of WeaponShield oil over that, and the cleaning parts that came with the SAR-48 in the factory cleaning kit fit right behind that (the kit insert from the original kit almost fit, but not enough to get the SAW trap door shut). I put those parts in a small baggie, the trap door secures perfectly, and there is no rattle at all. GTG.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2012 The FAL Files