The FAL Files

The FAL Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   The FN Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Bipod accuracy? (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314117)

neoinarien July 18, 2011 10:35

Bipod accuracy?

I've read in a few places that the bipods actually HURT accuracy (which would make sense, given that it is more weight and attachments directly to the barrel).

What has been your experience?

JohnnyV1966 July 18, 2011 10:39

At times I have noticed that the use of a bipod sometimes shifts bullet impact upward, I have yet to notice any significant changes in accuracy.

W.E.G. July 18, 2011 11:07

Consistent hold, and consistent position, and consistent pressure, and you'll probably see no LOSS of accuracy.

Screw up any of those, and you'll probably be all over the place.

4markk July 18, 2011 11:22

Re: Bipod accuracy?

Quote:

Originally posted by neoinarien
I've read in a few places that the bipods actually HURT accuracy (which would make sense, given that it is more weight and attachments directly to the barrel).
This is a YES and NO. Attached directly to the barrel .. I'd say that is a yes, as it adds stresses and disturbs the harmonics of the barrel. Attached to freefloat handguards, I'd say that is a NO it does not hurt, but rather helps accuracy.

bykerhd July 18, 2011 22:00

W.E.G. is correct about consistency.:beer:
The factory bipod will cause you to fight constantly to stay consistent.
The whole thing is heavy but yet whippy. :rolleyes:
Too much pressure, or not enough pressure, will send your shots in to previously unknown territory.:tongue:

neoinarien July 19, 2011 18:20

So basically, the best course of action (which I think I am going to go with) would be to take the bipod off, get the DSA free-float handguards with the sling swivel attached them, and use that to sling up for tension?

Bwana John July 19, 2011 18:28

The best thing is to just forget about "slinging-up" for tension with a FAL.

Rest the handguards on a sand bag (the same way every time) and live with it.

Cava3r4 July 19, 2011 18:50

Quote:

get the DSA free-float handguards with the sling swivel attached them, and use that to sling up for tension?
if you are right handed and you sling up (and the sling swivel is attached to the barrel) it WILL move your point of impact left and lower.
If you mount the sling swivel on a free floating tube (like a target rifle AR-15 or a prairie dog rifle with a floating stock) it will NOT affect the point of impact.
HTH
Bob

W.E.G. July 19, 2011 19:34

Depends on what you want to do with it.

If you plan on doing sequential summertime mag-dumps on a two-way range, where you need to move frequently, the bipod and the purse-handle will be welcome accessories.

If you want to tell lies about how your FAL shoots "sub-MOA," yeah go ahead and pull the bipod.

DakTo July 19, 2011 20:23

The use of the bipod would be more accurate on full automatic firing versus free hand full automatic firing.
Bipods are not best uitilized for target grouping.

4markk July 19, 2011 21:30

Quote:

Originally posted by neoinarien
So basically, the best course of action (which I think I am going to go with) would be to take the bipod off, get the DSA free-float handguards with the sling swivel attached them, and use that to sling up for tension?
Like what W.E.G. said .... What do you want to do with this rifle? If you want sub-MOA, this is the wrong rifle. So free-floats do not really pass the cost-to-benefit analysis for a FAL. IMHO

neoinarien July 20, 2011 06:28

I am not searching for a sub-moa... or even MOA rifle in a FAL.

I like the platform for what it offers: excellent all around performance in a battle rifle. That said, I do enjoy shooting 300-400 yards (and beyond) and I'd like to be as proficient as possible without compromising the FALs many generous upsides.

W.E.G. July 20, 2011 06:42

I don't think any rifle that utilizes a bipod that clamps directly to a skinny barrel is going to deliver satisfying accuracy at 300 and 400 yards.

Yeah, if you practice a lot, you might get a majority of your shots to land somewhere on a stationary man-sized silhouette at that distance, but I think you are going to be mostly disappointed with the bipod-equipped FAL when put to that task.

JohnnyReb July 20, 2011 06:57

For some strange reason my argi shoots well off the bi-pod, while my stg and g1 did not.

I must be getting consistently inconsistent. :p

DakTo July 20, 2011 07:08

Quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyReb
For some strange reason my argi shoots well off the bi-pod, while my stg and g1 did not.

I must be getting consistently inconsistent. :p

If each is in its original configuration it may have something to do with the age of the barrels.

neoinarien July 20, 2011 09:40

Quote:

Originally posted by W.E.G.
I don't think any rifle that utilizes a bipod that clamps directly to a skinny barrel is going to deliver satisfying accuracy at 300 and 400 yards.

Yeah, if you practice a lot, you might get a majority of your shots to land somewhere on a stationary man-sized silhouette at that distance, but I think you are going to be mostly disappointed with the bipod-equipped FAL when put to that task.

Yeah, which is why I plan on stripping the bipod and I already have on order the free float hand guard. Not because I think that the free float will somehow work miracles with the accuracy, but because the sling swivel attaches to the free float and thus POI will not be affected by sling tension.

...or so the theory goes...

ghf July 21, 2011 10:09

Agree w/ all above.

The FAL is not a target rifle. Will never shoot as well as a M21 system or National Match M-14.

The FAL is all about hitting mansize targets out to 400 meters or so.

About the best accuracy one will get is from a good prone firing position, perhaps resting your hand/ the handguards on a sandbag or two.

The bipod is very useful for automatic fire.

The carry handle is very useful to carry the weapon w/ the bipod down.

The issue two point sling is for shoulder carry of the weapon.