The FAL Files

The FAL Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   The FN Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Century G1 Sporter (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290213)

hollowpoint67 June 07, 2010 11:05

Century G1 Sporter

Hey guys, Ive been creeping these forums for some time now. during my stint as a forum creep Ive been deciding if:

-I wanted to build a FAL from a parts kit

-Buy a complete one from Atlanticfirearms.com or Enterprise Arms

-Or buy this: Henderson Defense - Century G1 Sporter

Could we discuss this new Century FAL thats on the market? Ive heard good and bad things about the Century arms weapons but due to the price on this G1 sporter im seriously considering it?

Any one know anything about these new barrels?

Bigger_Is_Better June 07, 2010 11:19

Definitely stay away from the Atlantic Arms Entreprise rifles. I just dealt with one that a buddy here in town bought. It was the absolute worst FAL I've ever looked at. He eventually sent it back for a full refund.

I've heard some of the new Century rifles aren't that bad. BUT it definitely depends on the receiver they are on. I wouldn't buy a Century without being able to hold it first. The G1 you're looking at is not G1, except for the hand guards and bi-pod.

If you have any questions let me know.

Welcome To The Addiction!

Aaron

bronco_buster June 07, 2010 11:37

FAL G1 Sporter Semi-Auto Battle Rifle

Century Arms has reproduced these main battle rifles from Genuine parts sets from the former West Germany G1 main battle rifle. These were assembled with US-made parts to keep them compliant for sales.

- Caliber: .308 Winchester
- Dark grey parkerized finish
- New US-made barrel
- New US-made black polymer stock, handguard and pistol grip
- Factory bipod assembly that folds into the handguards
- New US-made trigger, hammer and disconnector
- New redesigned receiver marked G1 Sporter Rifle (not the same as previous R1A1 receivers)
- Two factory 20-round steel magazines (all of our FAL magazines are pre-1994)

$725 doesn't seem unreasonable for an FAL if the rifle is built on a decent kit, like an Imbel. The "New US-made barrel" part is what would cause me to shy away from this deal. I'm curious as to what kind of barrel they have put on it...with their reputation of putting craptastic barrels on Tantals, don't know if I'd trust a "Century Barrel"...ever. I wasn't aware of Green Mountain making metric pattern barrels, but I'm not that in the know so whatever...I'd like to see a review of this rifle...because I have huge doubts. The price is decent, especially with compliance parts, but their stock sets are cheesy at best, and their h/t/s sets leave much to be desired in the stock form...to me they feel like your fire control parts are sitting in a pile of gravel. I think you'd probably be better served scooping up a used Imbel kit build on a decent receiver off the MP...$725 should be about ballpark for one. Its your dough, if you get one be sure to give us a review.

xtremerange June 07, 2010 11:47

No much G1 on that once they get done with with US HTS, receiver, barrel and furniture.

Bigger_Is_Better June 07, 2010 11:55

Even the lower in the one pictured isn't G1. It's SRA marked. Green Mountain used to make metric barrels for Century all the time. They were decent if I remember correctly.

Aaron

hollowpoint67 June 07, 2010 12:01

Thanks for the replies guys, Heres it is on Centurys website:

Century G1 Sporter

Roger3 June 07, 2010 14:15

I just picked up a Century R1A1 sporter a few weeks ago. It looks just like the one in your link except mine does not have the bipod.

So far I have taken it out to the range twice and it has run perfectly with Winchester WB, American Eagle, and FN Beligum surplus. (300 rounds so far)

The only problem that I have found with mine, is Century used a regualar pin instead of a roll pin for the cocking handle stop pin. I called them and they mailed me the correct one (no charge).

I am very happy with mine.

:D

Bigger_Is_Better June 07, 2010 18:09

Are you talking about the pin that retains the lug in the charging handle? That's supposed to be a solid pin. Roll pin is not factory.

Aaron

Roger3 June 07, 2010 21:47

Quote:

Originally posted by Bigger_Is_Better
Are you talking about the pin that retains the lug in the charging handle? That's supposed to be a solid pin. Roll pin is not factory.
Aaron

yes, thats the one. I guess the solid pin in mine was too thin or the hole was a bit too large, and the pin kept falling out. Roll pin fixed it though.

Bigger_Is_Better June 07, 2010 22:26

That could be the problem. Century may have punched it out with an over sized punch.

Aaron

Bigger_Is_Better June 07, 2010 23:02

Guys, what does he need to be legal in California? I know the G1 he linked to says no sales to CA.

Aaron

hollowpoint67 June 07, 2010 23:07

Quote:

Originally posted by Bigger_Is_Better
Guys, what does he need to be legal in California? I know the G1 he linked to says no sales to CA.

Aaron

Im almost positive that all FALs are legal in CA as long as they comply with all the local/national laws.

Enterprise arms is based in Irwindale, CA.

Century just says no sales to CA all the time, Henderson Defense is a god send because they know the laws etc and sell to CA residents all the time.

FUUN063 June 07, 2010 23:55

For California, you are (I think) gonna need a thingy that elimnates the mag from being removed. I cannot remember who makes these, but I think this is right. Others will be along shortly to tell me I'm wrong, though.:biggrin:

Good luck.

Leland :shades:

hollowpoint67 June 08, 2010 00:08

Quote:

Originally posted by FUUN063
For California, you are (I think) gonna need a thingy that elimnates the mag from being removed. I cannot remember who makes these, but I think this is right. Others will be along shortly to tell me I'm wrong, though.:biggrin:

Good luck.

Leland :shades:

yep Leland, you are correct, I either need a bullet button or to make the FAL featureless, most people put a grip wrap on it...please dont make me tell you guys this stuff in detail, its horrific for rifles...it really is.

hollowpoint67 June 16, 2010 21:47

Alright Gents,

Im heading out to Vegas this weekend and can check out the Century "G1 Sporter" in person.

QUESTION:

Bigger_is_better has been extremely generous and offered me a complete rifle through a PM.

Pros:

It has a Chrome lined Imbel barrel.

Cons:

No bipod cut in the barrel (I wanted a FAL with a factory bipod)

It has finish wear

All Metric except for Bolt/Carrier is Inch.

Wanted some advice on what you guys thought the importance of Chrome vs Non chromed barrels was.

bronco_buster June 16, 2010 22:33

Most members here agree that the non-chrome lined STG barrels are some of the best barrels ever. You'll also hear advice of many to drop the bipod as they do nothing but get in the way and adversely affect accuracy. I wouldn't sweat it...you'll get one with a bipod soon after this one anyway. Its a disease.

Quote:

Originally posted by hollowpoint67
Alright Gents,

Im heading out to Vegas this weekend and can check out the Century "G1 Sporter" in person.

QUESTION:

Bigger_is_better has been extremely generous and offered me a complete rifle through a PM.

Pros:

It has a Chrome lined Imbel barrel.

Cons:

No bipod cut in the barrel (I wanted a FAL with a factory bipod)

It has finish wear

All Metric except for Bolt/Carrier is Inch.

Wanted some advice on what you guys thought the importance of Chrome vs Non chromed barrels was.

Bigger_Is_Better June 16, 2010 22:53

I hate to say it man, but last I heard from you was 9 days ago and you acted like the non-bipod cut barrel was a deal breaker. Anyway, I sold the receiver to Kev for my asking price over the weekend. Sorry if there was a misunderstanding.

Aaron

hollowpoint67 June 16, 2010 23:07

Ahh, no worries Aaron, you are right, my timing was bad with finals and graduation this past week it was a bit hard for me to focus on a definite answer. Thanks anyway.

kubura June 20, 2010 22:34

Any more info on these Century "G1" FAL's? :?

Thanks.

kubura June 22, 2010 10:40

Is there a review of this rifle that you know of?

I searched all over the internet, and except for few paragraphs
(mostly negative) on different gun forums, could not find anything more elaborate.

Are the receivers and barrels any good?

I would really like to get one from Henderson Defense, but
I heavily depend on the info I can get here on this forum.

Thank you.

def90 June 22, 2010 10:55

Quote:

Originally posted by kubura
Is there a review of this rifle that you know of?

I searched all over the internet, and except for few paragraphs
(mostly negative) on different gun forums, could not find anything more elaborate.

Are the receivers and barrels any good?

I would really like to get one from Henderson Defense, but
I heavily depend on the info I can get here on this forum.

Thank you.

It's not a bad deal overall.. Most Century reviews tend to show that there is great variability in their builds.. Some perform flawlessly and some are turds.. I would verify what the dealers return/exchange policy is first, just in case.

I think that for the price, if you are patient enough you can find a much better build with the correct receiver here for sale for about the same amount or maybe slightly more.

BUFF June 22, 2010 11:04

For $1,000, you could buy a real DSA-refinished G-1 kit assembled on a DSA Type II. I know where there is one...

Just sayin'...

kubura June 22, 2010 11:54

BUFF,

Please let me know from where to get one.
You can PM me, or send a message at:

orthosrb@juno.com

Thanks,

Mike