The FAL Files

The FAL Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   The AR Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   RRA 308 AR vs DPMS 308 (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282036)

captk February 08, 2010 15:52

RRA 308 AR vs DPMS 308

I was all set to order my DPMS LR308 (24" bull barrel) when I was speaking with a friend about RRA vs DPMS. Due to the cost of the rifles I was going DPMS. RRA has a very similar rifle with a 26" barrel that uses FAL mags, the LAR 308 Varmint. Bottom line is for me to buy the DPMS and replace the trigger and buy a few mags ( I can only use 10 rnds mags) I am at the same cost as the RRA rifle. I have a lot of FAL mags which are legal here and the RRA comes with the NM 2 stage trigger already installed + it is chambered for 7.62X51 not 308 like the DPMS rifle. So all thing being equal, assuming the same cost for both rifles which would you go with, the RRA or the DPMS? I hate to beat this to death but before I plunk down $1,300 I want to be sure. I am assuming that accuracy for both rifles will be similar?

Thanks for all of the feedback, Ken

ftierson February 08, 2010 16:33

I have a bunch of FAL mags...

I also have two of the RRA Standard (20inch) LAR-8A4 rifles, so I guess that demonstrates where I'd put my money.

To date, I've only fired about a hundred rounds each through the rifles. Good accuracy and flawless functioning so far.

I've been using an Armalite AR-10T detachable carry handle and AR-10T detachable front sight on these rifles with pretty good results, but am also waiting on an order for the correct LAR-8A4 detachable carry handle from RRA. More when I get the RRA DCH.

To my eye, the RRA LAR-8 rifle is considerably prettier than the DPMS rifle. I especially don't like the angular bolt assist 'housing' on the DPMS rifle, which kind of looks like a mistaken afterthought to my eye.

Forrest

Scott S February 08, 2010 17:21

My guess is that the 7.62 chamber will be a little looser than the .308 chamber, and that'll probably affect accuracy, all things being equal. However, rarely are things equal, so who the heck knows about accuracy. Forrest, what kind of groups you getting with yours?

Only thing that really gives me pause about the RRA version is that it doesn't follow the DPMS or Armalite design camps, so it's a one off version. Although some parts from the DPMS or Armalite guns might work on the RRA, you might be stuck with only one source for some of the parts. On the positive side, RRA seems stable. I'd be really worried if my only source of parts was a company with a less-than-stellar reputation, such as Hesse.

captk February 10, 2010 17:21

I ordered the DPMS LR308 with forward assist and dust cover. Now the wait.

Ken

cabinetman February 20, 2010 15:48

Are you still waiting?

I was lucky enough to find an LR308b last november online through a dealer and gifted it to myself for Christmas. I'm in love.

This thing is sweet and stupid accurate. I've got an Aimpoint Comp ML2 red dot on it with a BUIS setup as well. I also mounted a 3 point tactical sling on it and it makes handling the thing a breeze. Off hand, at 100 yards, I'm whacking a 10" gong 18 out of 20 times with a relatively rapid fire.

The one 'drawback" of the rifle when new was the trigger. The one that came with my rifle was a standard AR15 trigger with a 7 pound, creepy and gritty pull. I have since switched it out and mounted a Gisselle trigger in its place. I've died and gone to heaven. Shooting that rifle with the new trigger is almost automatic. You don't have to think about pulling the trigger because as your eye sees the red dot cover the target, my finger automatically pulls. So, followup shots are precision.

Finally, I'm shooting pretty much all surplus through mine with not one hiccup or any other issue. It's a tackdriver with that. A heavier ball ammo will only make it that much better.

Good luck with your rifle! You'll be very happy with it.

Rome

captk February 20, 2010 16:19

I am still waiting for the rifle. I was told 2 weeks before they come in, that was last week. I ordered it from Rguns.net, they are a large volume dealer. Once I get the rifle I'll order some match ammo and a bipod. There is a place I can send the trigger to and they will work it and send it back with 3 1/2 lbs pull. If I don't go that route I'll get a RRA NM trigger for it. Still lot's of snow on the ground so I would have to wait to use it outdoors.

Ken

flight 556 February 20, 2010 22:22

Bought my 20" RRA a few weeks ago from a local FFL friend at $1020 plus tax. I have not received my Eotech that I bought for it yet so no tests as of yet. I'm still trying to decide which sights to put on it, the troy ind. buis with tritium inserts (HK style) or ?.

captk February 20, 2010 22:44

Quote:

Bought my 20" RRA a few weeks ago from a local FFL friend at $1020 plus tax.
Good deal on the RRA. I spoke to a local FFL and he said the RRA 308's were not legal for NY. I spoke to an out of state dealer(Legal Transfers) and he was willing to place my order but the 3 month wait time was too much so I went with the DPMS. I may end up with both.

Ken

Barry February 21, 2010 12:35

I'd get the Armalite or, if you want it cheaper, the Eagle Arms.

captk February 21, 2010 13:09

Quote:

I'd get the Armalite or, if you want it cheaper, the Eagle Arms.
There are a lot of mixed reviews about Armalite. Armalite was my original choice when I decided to get another AR type 308 rifle. I am not taking sides but it seems you either like them or don't. Lot's of complaints about the rifles not functioning properly. I don't have first hand experience with them but like most people, I researched to see what would meet my needs. The Armalites were not available when I started to look and are a considerably higher. Based on what I am looking to do, the DPMS and RRA were the logical choices.
I looked into getting an RRA but they are backlogged several months at best and there were questions about the rifle being legal in NY. I spoke to my local FFL and he said the model I wanted, the Varmint model with 26" barrel would be illegal in NY. I don't know why since there is no muzzle device. I could get it without the 20 rnd mag, I have plenty of FAL mags. Bottom line is the DPMS is available, has a great reputation for accuracy and they will ship with 10 rnd mags so no NY legal issues.

Ken

ftierson February 21, 2010 15:12

I have no idea why a Varmint LAR-8 would be illegal in New York, since, as you mention, it does not have any muzzle device.

It does take standard FAL mags, and there are certainly 10rd FAL mags available...

Sounds to me like someone made something up to sell something.

Then again, stupid laws are everywhere so something not making sense to me is probably irrelevant...:)

Forrest

captk February 21, 2010 15:55

Quote:

I have no idea why a Varmint LAR-8 would be illegal in New York, since, as you mention, it does not have any muzzle device. It does take standard FAL mags, and there are certainly 10rd FAL mags available... Sounds to me like someone made something up to sell something. Then again, stupid laws are everywhere so something not making sense to me is probably irrelevant... Forrest
That did not make any sense to me. I had contacted Legal transfers in NH and he was willing ot place the order for me with RRA and have it shipped to a local FFL. The NY FFL I spoke to is dong the DPMS transfer for me. He has always been a good guy to deal with. I will speak to him again about the RRA when I pick up the DPMS.
Ken

ftierson February 21, 2010 16:58

Quote:

Originally posted by Scott S
Forrest, what kind of groups you getting with yours?

Sorry, Scott, I missed this until now...

I don't yet have a really good answer to this question.

RRA advertises 1 MOA for the standard LAR-8 rifles.

So far I have fired about a hundred rounds each through the two standard 20inch LAR-8A4 rifles that I have, most using Armalite AR-10T detachable carry handles (since I haven't yet received any RRA DCHs from RRA). I did put about 50 rounds through one of the rifles using a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40mm SF scope. Since I was just playing with sight adjustment on a day not optimal for shooting accuracy using old military ball ammo (CBC 75), I was quite happy with the four bullets within 1.5 inches (with the 5th a little farther out) and three usually cutting the same hole (all at 100 yards). I also put five rounds of reloads using the Speer 170gr RN .30-30 bullet in front of H335 (a load that I'd worked up in the 1970s for bear hunting in New York using an HK-91), and all five rounds functioned perfectly and grouped under two inches too (windy and cold to boot).

I guess that my point is that I'm not yet quite sure how accurate these rifles (RRA LAR-8A4 standard) are, but I'm very happy to this point...

Forrest

Scott S February 22, 2010 12:21

Thanks for the reply, Forrest. Sounds to me like your RRA shoots pretty well. I'd certainly be happy with those numbers.