The FAL Files

The FAL Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Firearms Discussion (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   WTK: Century VZ2008 (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264446)

nightschneider June 10, 2009 16:33

WTK: Century VZ2008

I am looking for any first hand accounts of the new Century build VZ58's. I am well aware of Century's reputation, but I can't find any information on these - who makes the receiver, what barrel is used - anything.

does anybody have any first hand experience with them?

any insiders know the scoop on how well they are built?

nalioth June 10, 2009 16:53

Got a link to these beasts?

Century has been importing single stack Vz58 sporters for years now.

nightschneider June 10, 2009 17:57

this is the only link i can find - not even on century's website - just an auction with lots of pictures.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=127362809

nalioth June 10, 2009 18:10

Stay far away.

Something wicked this way comes.

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/6536/pix253528156.jpg

nightschneider June 10, 2009 18:45

i saw that, but there are imbels with century stamps...so i was still curious on the origin of the receiver and components used.

nalioth June 10, 2009 19:10

Quote:

Originally posted by nightschneider
i saw that, but there are imbels with century stamps...so i was still curious on the origin of the receiver and components used.
This is most likely an ORF with a century stamp.

Caveat emptor

Rapid Fire June 10, 2009 19:36

Quote:

Originally posted by nalioth

This is most likely an ORF with a century stamp.

Caveat emptor

Nope.

Todd@ORF

indy_Muaddib June 10, 2009 20:23

cant be an ORF receiver, it looks too good.

its most likely an imported single stack hogged out by the angry beavers to fit double stacks.

Wes Janson June 10, 2009 22:13

I just recently got a low-serial-number VZ2008, so I guess this can be a mini-review.

First off, Century currently has a recall going on the VZ2008s due to issues with the safety hole being drilled incorrectly/oversized on the receivers. They claim that some of them were drilled wrong, such that the safety may slide out and/or fail to keep the sear from disengaging the striker. Mine hasn't been sent back in (yet) although I've thoroughly messed with the safety, and it shows no signs of acting in any ways it shouldn't. I am disappointed that the safety functions in the reverse of the standard VZs: vertical is on-safe, but to switch to fire one has to push the safety backwards to the rear position (standard rifles flip to the front). The safety can be flipped to the forward position, but it remains on safe when you do so. Century stated that the receivers were supposed to have a block preventing them from going to the third non-functioning setting, but that production examples did not include this feature.

Rifle was shipped in a plain cardboard box sans manual. Included was an original sling, two original Czech gray magazines, and the original cleaning kit. One of the magazines had a screwed-up baseplate which seems to be permanently stuck onto the mag body..I snapped off one of the retaining tabs trying to get it off, and finally gave up (the magazine works, so who cares).

Based on my conversation with one of the gunsmiths at Century, supposedly they outsourced the receivers to some local machine shop. The barrels are non-chrome lined US-made, stated as 1 in 9.5 twist. Mine seemed rather dirty and appears to maybe be pitted in the bore, although it's hard to say for certain (need to *REALLY* scrub the hell out of it and find out for sure). As per Century, the barrel, receiver, muzzle attachment, and IIRC either/or the trigger and sear are US made components. The bolt carrier has a welded-on protrusion for NFA compliance. As far as I can tell, the foreign parts count consists of (at least): handguards, pistol grip, gas piston, stock, bolt carrier, bolt, magazine body/follower/baseplate, striker, and possibly more. The front sight post is original as is the gas block. Judging by the gas piston, it would appear that this rifle was test fired a moderate amount before being shipped out. Everything except for the magazines has been painted with some sort of black (epoxy?) finish, while the receiver is some sort of craptastic excuse of a blued finish. Fifteen minutes in an ultrasonic tank and patches of the receiver finish wore right off. Not a huge deal for me, as I plan on Duracoating the whole thing anyways, so the easier it comes off, the better.

Fit appears to be so-so...the rifle functioned perfectly through the ~50 rounds or so I've put through it, without any sign of a problem. On the other hand, the rear dust cover retaining pin hole appears to have been drilled a millimeter or so higher on the receiver than it should have been, and as a result the dust cover is canted forward/sits high in the rear. The magazines lock up securely, although the mag well needs to have one of the rear corners Dremel'd out ever so slightly in order to properly clear the edge of the mags (as it is now, the first time you insert a brand-new magazine it won't fit right. If you try to rock it in a couple of times, the aluminum will scratch ever so slightly on the side of the magazine until it clears the edge, and then it'll lock in and drop free without any issue). Disassembly is very easy, and the disassembly pins are noticeably easier to pop in and out compared to the CZ/Czechpoint rifles (I have to give the nod to Century on this one; the CZ's can be a bit annoyingly stiff to pull apart, while the VZ2008's pins have just the right amount of tension). No signs yet of peening on the receiver locking lugs. The folding stock has a bit of play in it in both positions, but it does lock and unlock smoothly.

As far as accuracy goes, at 100 yards both PMC ball ammo and Wolf 124gr HP shot to the same point, and both grouped right around 4 MOA (benched, single shots loaded by hand). From the factory the sights were set 14 MOA high and 14 MOA right of zero. The trigger isn't anything special, and about on par with other VZs and AKs I've handled...fairly long pull, moderately heavy, with a bit of creep.

Summary? It seems to work alright, albeit with various minor bugs. I'd like to figure out a way to modify the safety to work in the opposite direction, and I'd like to place a washer on the trigger pin next to the trigger to help improve the trigger pull (by preventing lateral drift on the trigger pin when firing). It definitely needs Duracoating, the sights need to be set, and the bore looks rather unappealing, but on the other hand it shoots about as well as I can expect it to shoot. Unlike the Czechpoint rifles, the receiver hasn't been milled from a singlestack format, and it IS capable of accepting both bayonets and surplus magazines, which I view as a significant bonus. Opinions may vary.

Gopher June 10, 2009 22:55

The latest "Small Arms Review" has a good writeup on the VZ58 and it's American semi-auto cousins.

Wes Janson June 13, 2009 23:19

Ran a carbine match with the VZ2008, and did pretty well. Hits out to 150 yards weren't too difficult, and the Century rifle ran perfectly, with absolutely zero malfunctions of any form...it fed, fired, ejected, and locked open just like it should. I did learn the hard way (several times) that the handguard and gas block heats up fast in sustained fire, and becomes dangerously hot around 40 rounds. Other than that, it was quite fun.

newfalguy101 June 14, 2009 00:08

Wes, your previous post looks like an awful lot of "minor" issues for a "new" near $900 gun...........

just sayin...

Wes Janson June 14, 2009 10:52

Well, it was actually a $700 rifle, and that's $100 more than J&G Sales was selling them for originally. Compared to $860 for the Czechpoint, or $1015 for the CZ (without the stock).

Overall, I'd say that the finish is poor, the bore isn't that great looking, and the safety turns the "wrong" way. None of those are deal-breakers in my book, considering the intended purpose of the rifle makes each irrelevent.

I was pretty happy that I was scoring hits at 100-150 yards almost as fast as guys using 20" free floated, scoped ARs. It fulfills its role quite well, all things considered.

nalioth June 14, 2009 12:43

Quote:

Originally posted by Wes Janson
Compared to $860 for the Czechpoint, or $1015 for the CZ (without the stock)
Ya know what's funny? They're selling the same exact rifle, imported by the same exact importer. It does pay to do your homework.
Quote:

Overall, I'd say that the finish is poor, the bore isn't that great looking, and the safety turns the "wrong" way. None of those are deal-breakers in my book, considering the intended purpose of the rifle makes each irrelevent.

Personally, I think the Czechs designed the safety very ergonomically.

When on 'safe' it is in a downward position, which keeps you from getting a "good grip" on the gun.

When you need to shoot, you just flick it with your index finger and voilą - you're in business.

Wes Janson June 14, 2009 19:28

Quote:

Ya know what's funny? They're selling the same exact rifle, imported by the same exact importer. It does pay to do your homework.
I know..but some people prefer the side of their rifle to have the big-name brand on the side.

Quote:

Personally, I think the Czechs designed the safety very ergonomically.

When on 'safe' it is in a downward position, which keeps you from getting a "good grip" on the gun.

When you need to shoot, you just flick it with your index finger and voilą - you're in business.
I agree, but Century apparently changed it somehow (still not quite sure how). It's on safe in the vertical position, as it should be, but rather than flicking it forward to fire, you have to flip the safety backwards. I'm guessing this may have been done to make it easier for right-handed shooters, but as a lefty the normal VZ-58 setup is absolutely perfect. I just need to figure out how to modify or replace the safety so that it works like a traditional VZ-58.

nalioth June 14, 2009 19:34

Quote:

I agree, but Century apparently changed it somehow (still not quite sure how). It's on safe in the vertical position, as it should be, but rather than flicking it forward to fire, you have to flip the safety backwards. I'm guessing this may have been done to make it easier for right-handed shooters, but as a lefty the normal VZ-58 setup is absolutely perfect. I just need to figure out how to modify or replace the safety so that it works like a traditional VZ-58.
It sounds like the monkeys installed it upside down.

Here's pix of the Czech safety:

Safety on (where it is in the way of a right-hander's good grip):
http://www.novarata.net/abrams/vz58/vz58_1046.JPG

Safety off (easily done with a flick of the index finger):
http://www.novarata.net/abrams/vz58/vz58_1045.JPG

Leave it to the drunk monkeys to f**k up a good thing . . .

Wes Janson June 15, 2009 02:02

What's got me puzzled is that I can't figure out what Century changed. The CZ/Czechpoint rifles I already know flip forward for fire, and have an extra pin drilled to block the safety movement. However, typical kit builds don't have that pin. My question is, do kit builds like the Project Guns tutorial flip forward to fire, or flip to the rear? Looking at Czechpoint's online parts store, I can't see any difference between the safety lever they're offering for sale, and the safety that's installed in my rifle (although I haven't pulled it out to compare precisely). The only thing I can figure is that Century replaced the safeties with a US-made part, but when they sourced the part they told the machine shop to cut the indentions 90 degrees off from the original, to make it more righty-friendly or something.

Any suggestions on how to change it to the original setup?