The FAL Files

The FAL Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   The 22 Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   Remington Nylon 66 (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252776)

Regal Beagal January 24, 2009 21:47

Remington Nylon 66

OK,
Since it was raining here today I decided it would be a good day to prowl my local pawn shops to see if they had anything new and if they might have something I need: Aimpoint Red Dot, scopes, Onkyo CD player, Onkyo or Pioneer Elite home 7.1 surround sound system, etc..... Of course, I also look at what is up on the gun racks. Well, as I am prowling one shop I happen to spy a Remington Nylon 66. At first glance it looks to be OK. Stock is in good shape and the bluing looks worn but not bad. I ask the girl behind the counter if I can take a look at it and she hands it too me. Crud, someone has removed the bluing on the receiver and portions of the barrel. Pitting is quite evident.... I saw that they wanted $149.00 for it ao I asked the girl what they would take for it. She punches the stock # into the computer and she replies, " I'll take $100.00." I ask for a bore light not expecting them to have one but she produces one. Dang......the barrel is shiny and tight. I pulled the action back and right at the gate there is a little rust but not bad. As I let the bolt go back a young man, who seems to be there new manager looks up from doing a transaction at the cash register and says," Ya...the guy that brought this in had it in a leather gun case and when he pulled it out it had rust on it so I took some steel wool to it to remove the rust. :eek: He must have saw the expression on my face :eek: He immediately asked me how much I would offer for it? I just looked at him and told him I would have to think about it.... I know that generally I have seen these going for around $250-$500 dependig on the condition they are in, if they have the diamond stock, the black diamond stock ad chrome finish..... Even though she is a little rough on the edges and needs some TLC should I go back and offer him $75.00 or should I leave it alone? I know that with the bluing gone on a majority of the receiver and the pitting she is what she is but with a true reblue not a cold reblue it should increase it's value. I guess my next question is were these good shooters? Oh also, was wondering if the receiver shroud on these are steel or aluminum alloy? It looked like steel to me but not having a magnet I really couldn't tell. For me it is just an odity and I had a buddy that had one when I was a boy and I always thought it was pretty cool looking..... So is it worth it or should I leave it alone? RB

W.E.G. January 24, 2009 22:26

Whatever you do, DO NOT attempt to disassemble that rifle.

Almost nobody ever gets one back together after they take it apart.

This site
http://www.nylonrifles.com/NylonRifles/Home/Home.html
is very informative.

The 66's do have a certain nostalgic charm.

$100 is a good price for one that is functional/intact, even if it is a little crusty.

KEMOSABE January 24, 2009 23:16

Be sure and check the safety, it's a weak point. The receiver covers are metal, and they are just covers, the reciever is plastic. And, as WEG says, they are a bastard to put back together.

kev January 24, 2009 23:28

The cover is steel. They shoot pretty well with irons, but are actually less accurate scoped since the scope just clamps to the cover and it isn't attached to much of anything else. Grew up with a shooting buddy who had one for a primary rifle and we commonly put a brick a day through it every summer day for many years running, so I imagine I've helped put 100,000rds through that one. It always worked and had no problems, but I've never considered them more than a $100 gun in good condition. And that was 30yrs ago when the plastic was relatively young. I wouldn't expect them to age well. Frankly, I don't think I would want one unless it was a really nice one(and cheap). The prices you've quoted may be accurate, but they make no sense to me. Guess I'll never have one.

All I can say is $75 and a zero effort/$ coldblue would probably be fine for a trunk gun. They are nice and light.

W.E.G. January 24, 2009 23:37

Truly, just as a shooter, $75 is about all one should be worth.

But, look at what people are paying for them these days.

Decent ones are selling for way more than $100.
Look at the prices on Gunbroker.

Regal Beagal January 25, 2009 04:41

Ya....that is what I thought. Back in the days all we cared about was shootin' tin cans and targets with it. Accuracy was part of the game but dead point accuracy wasn't. I did take a look at GB and AA and there was a wide range of prices. If I just wanted a plinker or as someone put it a "trunk Gun" then I would have probably picked it up. Now, if it had been in good shape and I could have gotten it for $100.00 then I would have snapped it up mearly as an investment. As my wife always says in that cop tone of voice, " Tom step away from the counter" :bow:

I did however pick up a JC Higgins 29 off of AA last week that is in a little rough shape and needs some TLC but with shipping and price I'll have $63.00 in it and at least the stock is wood, the barrel is steel and the receiver is aluminum. I am thinking that my next .22 is going to be a Mossy bolt repeater......:biggrin:

OH THE IRONY OF IT ALL, WHEN WILL IT END!!!!!!

Charles Lipscomb January 26, 2009 02:21

i wanna thank you guys. i spent half an hour looking for disassembley instructions via google . i was gonna ask here, but therre was this post... i had already pulled the barrel and receiver cover and futiliy tried to remove the bolt...
i had flushed out alotta gunk with brake cleaner. i'll just oil her up and reasemble it...
again, i am glad i ran into you guys...

kev_alaska January 27, 2009 03:05

Nylon 66

I have a couple of these old guns. Thousands of rounds through them. Not too difficult to keep clean, but WEG is right. Dissasembly and cleaning down to the trigger group is pretty straightforward, but leave the trigger group alone.....Don't ask how I know....

Kevin

Charles Lipscomb January 27, 2009 04:19

i can take apart and reasemble anything... BUT this rifle is not mine, so i didn't want to break it.
i would have liked to get the bolt out of the receiver cover for a thourgh cleaning. but the brake cleaner did the trick. i then oiled it, and swnt my brother out to test fire it. itworked fine, but jammed on the last round out of the magazine every time.
any advice, other than just not shooting the mag till it's empty?

doubletap January 27, 2009 15:29

Since the receiver cover is just that on a 66, wither polish the one you have and give it a shake and bake finish along with the barrel or keep your eyes open and look for a better condition dust cover, ditto the barrel and the few exposed screws if they are rusty. Really I'd just give it a shake and bake and call it good.
They CAN be little rascals if you take the trigger group down, but all in all they aren't too hard above that really.
I've owned several of these and they typically shoot about 3/8"at 25 yards for 5 rounds, about 3/4" at 50 yards so they aren't really tackdrivers, but they will easily keep on a squirrels head out to 75 yards and just about always keep ticking. Good little guns for what they are.
Heck screw the guy down to $75 and let him know you're doing him a favor, how often can you really win in an over the counter gun deal?

A square 10 January 27, 2009 23:07

these are one of my chilhood favorites - i finaly got one , and also appreciate the info ,

this is what i found - a 1959

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...ifles002-2.jpg

kev February 03, 2009 17:44

Somebody go get this one,.............

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=122208704

tfillen February 06, 2009 11:32

I have a Mohawk brown Nylon 66 I bought new in 1983 at Woolworth's for $89. I have always loved my Nylon 66, even though I have been ridiculed over the years by the guys who think all rifles should be wood-stocked. I found out the hard way that the rifle should always be cocked before disassembly and watch out for that thing that falls out of the left side of the receiver when the receiver cover is removed.

I'm planning to give my Nylon 66 to my grandson, who is currently 9. Maybe when he's 12 ...;)

DJ February 06, 2009 14:26

I can attest to the fact that you never never tear a Nylon 66 down. My brother had an Apache Black 66. He decided to tear it down and give it a good srcubbing. Well, he tore it completely down and spent weeks trying to get it back together. He gave it to me to try.....after a coupla months of cussing him and swearing at the rifle I took it to a gunsmith to put back together. 85 bucks and a month later, I picked it up from the 'smith.
Little brother balked at the 85 bucks, so now that 66 resides in my safe.
Needless to say, it will never be torn down for cleaning again.
One of these days, it will belong to my grandsons.:biggrin:

bill3542 February 06, 2009 22:21

as a owner of 4 Nylon 66s

1. the beater- bought new in 1976, over 40,000 rds through it with little cleaning and still works great.
2. my boys shooter - picked 2 years ago excellent shape, he has put over 3000 rds through it with no problems.
3. NIB standard model with brown plastic, paid 140 for it.
4. the prize. NIB Apache Black with satin chrome finish. picked up at a estate sale for 125 bucks, guy had collected rifles but didn't shoot them. there where over 30 rifles sold that day that where NIB.

ER February 06, 2009 22:34

Quote:

guy had collected rifles but didn't shoot them.
I guess somebody will say that about me someday :rofl: I collect Remy .22s, and have 5 Nylons(Nylon, Apache, and Mohawk models), 3 of them NIB and the boxes are even in decent shape. One day I`ll post a pic of the collection, Remy .22s from 1873 to a couple of months ago.....several never fired and never will be as long as they`re in my vault:D

PS...at the rate Remy .22s are rising in value, I may just reach a point to cash in........

Oh yeah, this thread..........for $75-100 BUY IT. Give it a park job and let er rip..........you WILL NOT be dissapointed ;)

newfalguy101 February 06, 2009 22:46

Quote:

Originally posted by Regal Beagal

I did however pick up a JC Higgins 29 off of AA last week that is in a little rough shape and needs some TLC but with shipping and price I'll have $63.00 in it and at least the stock is wood, the barrel is steel and the receiver is aluminum. I am thinking that my next .22 is going to be a Mossy bolt repeater......:biggrin:

hmmmmm perhaps I should spend more time lurking over at AA............. :]

panzer March 02, 2009 22:36

WEG is right. NEVER TAKE IT APART. EVER. My cousin did once and it took me and my dad a full day to get it back together again.

big dee March 02, 2009 23:55

[QUOTE]Originally posted by doubletap
Since the receiver cover is just that on a 66, wither polish the one you have and give it a shake and bake finish along with the barrel or keep your eyes open and look for a better condition dust cover,

The cover is the serial numbered part....might be technicalities there.

Bentley8 March 03, 2009 10:13

[QUOTE]Originally posted by big dee
Quote:

Originally posted by doubletap
Since the receiver cover is just that on a 66, wither polish the one you have and give it a shake and bake finish along with the barrel or keep your eyes open and look for a better condition dust cover,

The cover is the serial numbered part....might be technicalities there.
On my Nylon 66, the serial number is on the barrel. The top cover has no serial numbers on it, inside or out. The rifle is from 1959.

A square 10 March 09, 2009 20:46

mine too - dittos to both -

the date code is on the barrel , just forward of the receiver , first letter code is the month of mfgr , followed by the letter codes for the year ,

month codes are B-L-A-C-K-P-O-W-D-E-R
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12

year codes are letter , 2-3 letters but this is irrevalent since they relate to 1943 - 1953 , and since these were first made in 1959 =F
60=G , 61=H , 62=J , 63=K , 64=L , 65=M , 66=N , 67=P , 68=R , 69=S , 70=T , 71=U , 72=W , 73= X , 74=Y , 75=Z , 76=I , 77=O , 78=Q , 79=V , 80=A , etc to 87 which should be the end of the 66 series , it ended with the BD black diamond series [the last versions of the mowhawk brown and black diamond series's had scopes ,

the 1966 version was available in the 150th anniversary logo in mowhawk brown ,
and the 1976 version was available in the US bicentenial version in mowhawk brown ,
and there was a gallery special version in 22short only

firebass4 March 20, 2009 23:04

I have a Seneca Green Nylon 66. No serial Number that I can find. I have a couple of later Mohawk browns. There is no better .22 ever made. It will out shoot you and will work no matter how badly it's abused. It is as accurate as any gun you would need to put food on the table, with or without a scope. I would strongly say that they are giving that gun to you if they will take 75.00.
Are you in Southeast Texas? I will buy it if you don't. They quit making them, you know.
Arthur

firebass4 March 20, 2009 23:11

P.S. You don't oil them. It will mess 'em up.
Arthur