The FAL Files

The FAL Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   The HK Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   WTK: Value of a FA91 Aluminum G3 receiver? (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248160)

dandor November 28, 2008 07:57

WTK: Value of a FA91 Aluminum G3 receiver?

I have a used FA91 aluminum G3 receiver listed for trade in the WTT/WTB forum. I had my G3 clone disassembled and reassembled with a PTR-91 stamped receiver. I saw a new one at the last local gun show for sale for $189.00. What would be a reasonable value for this used receiver in good condition?

gunplumber November 28, 2008 12:38

It is worthless, unless you can find some idiot who knows nothing you can screw over by dumping this piece of shit on him.

And that's the nicest way I can put it.

wwIIBuff November 28, 2008 17:14

Ouch, thats harsh....but true. Some things you just don't sell, bad karma and all.

gunfanx3 November 28, 2008 17:21

Aluminum Receiver

Do a search here and you will find out all you need to know about aluminum receivers. When I started out looking for a HK, I learned very early to stay away from any auction with that type of receiver. Basically, they fail due to the way that they are attached. Anyone that knows anything about them would stay away and anyone that sells one to a uniformed person is not doing the right thing. (That was the nicest way that it could be phrased)

dandor November 28, 2008 18:26

I'm certainly not trying to pass this off on some unknowing soul. Just trying to determine it's value, if any. I only had this mounted on my rifle for a short time... maybe fired 100 rounds. Had no issues, however, I did not like the looks. (bulky) The PTR has been great. I guess it will make a good paperweight

wwIIBuff November 28, 2008 19:53

If I were to sell it, I would look for $50 TO 75 bucks and let the guy know it may work great or they may have problems down the road

FLOWERMAN December 12, 2008 15:52

FA91 ALUMINUM RECEIVERS

IS THERE EVIDENCE LOCATED ON THE NET THAT THESE RECEIVERS FAIL DUE TO WHERE THEY ARE ATTACHED ? THE ATTACHMENT AT THE BARREL ? HOW DO THEY FAIL ? DOES THE ALUMINUM RECEIVER SPLIT AT THE BARREL ATTACHMENT ?

StoneyCreekMrMauser December 12, 2008 20:17

No yelling please. You'll scare Ratas' friend Despereaux.:tongue:

Tuscan Raider December 12, 2008 20:36

I believe aluminum is going for about.30 cent/pound at my recycling center.

gunplumber December 13, 2008 12:11

Hmm. Evidence. Lets see if I can give you a visual. The cut off trunion is held to the aluminum by 2 roll pins, correct?

Weight the bolt carrier assembly. multiply the mass by the spring velocity to determine impact force. Select a ball-peen hammer of similar weight and beat a piece of steel supported by similar roll pins. Observe roll pins. Note any deformation.

Note this exercise does not take into account actually firing the gun, only the bolt carrier impact.

W.E.G. December 13, 2008 12:29

I have a rifle built on one of these.

About 500 rounds through it.

So far, it aint beat itself to death.
Seems to function pretty darn well to tell the truth.

I think Mark has a good point though.
If it does start to self-destruct, I would expect the time line from signs-of-a-problem to complete-failure to be fairly rapid.

Smokehouse69 December 19, 2008 15:33

I've seen one that had more than 2000 rounds through it, ugly as sin but it still was holding together. I fired about 20 rounds through it and it was as accurate as any other G3/Cetme I've seen, I was getting 5-6 inch groups at 100 yards with iron sites. Best my 58 year old eyes can do.

gw11 December 21, 2008 08:30

Actually
The good thing about your receiver is that when it does fall apart, at least the bolt gap doesn't change so maybe? it will hold together and not blow up till you notice the shift as everything goes the the rear at the same time and your standing there holding that new Carbine Length Gun you failed to notice before that is now a real bitch to cock by hand!

In reality the barrel/trunion assembly can only move to the point where the rails are cast. should already be there.

As all have said- Garbage will only be Garbage.

gw11

chauncey January 16, 2009 18:18

I sold mine to an informed soul for $100.00, last year.