The FAL Files

The FAL Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ammunition (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   mk 211 raufoss (50 cal ) (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210527)

kycrawler August 21, 2007 00:04

mk 211 raufoss (50 cal )

pretty interesting ammo, found some 50 cal mk 211 mod 0 forsale and wondered about the legality of owning it ? it is pretty expensive but would be interesting to have a few rounds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raufoss_Mk_211

AlaskanMBR August 21, 2007 10:09

I have been wondering about this too, as I have seen some for sale. The guy has it in 30-06, .308, .50BMG, and .223 (it that even possible? would it even be worth it in .223?).

If it really mk 211 mod 0 then it has PETN or RDX in it, then in theory it should be regulated by the BATFE. This would basically make it inaccessible to the ordinary person. I have a powder license, but just a powder license isn't good enough (only allows you to posses, transport, and use), you need paperwork from BATFE to sell or buy it and then they want to come inspect where you store it... Huge hassle getting those guys involved.

I'm not sure it is regulated by the BATFE however, so I don't know for sure.

Anyone here know any better?

maddawg308 August 21, 2007 10:35

The rules and regs of BATFE state that only quantities of explosive larger than 1/4 oz. are prohibited from owning. That is 1/4 oz PER ROUND. The Mk211 round has much less than that, so it is okay.

An example of a round of ammo you cannot own would be a 20x102mm Vulcan HE round, because THAT round contains more than 1/4 oz. of explosive.

Have seen dealers sell cans of Raufoss Mk211 rounds day in and out at Knob Creek MG shoot in KY, with BATFE all over the place and not batting an eye.

kycrawler August 21, 2007 12:03

good to know , i found a sealed 120 round can if anyone is interested in going in on part of it

M62/M76 August 21, 2007 22:31

It is legal to buy and own. It is bought and sold on several sites - periodically.

jefferyc22 August 22, 2007 00:33

Quote:

Originally posted by AlaskanMBR
I have been wondering about this too, as I have seen some for sale. The guy has it in 30-06, .308, .50BMG, and .223 (it that even possible? would it even be worth it in .223?).

Just so you know true raufoss is ONLY made in 50BMG and is a shape charge of sorts.
I bought some off gunbroker in .308 before i knew better.
The knockoff stuff has a yellow tip and is mildly incindiery(will light off a probane tank but nothing like a military AP/API round)

armed1 August 22, 2007 21:18

I believe it has around 13 grains of HE in the tip.

Who has some and how much?

ammolab August 22, 2007 22:05

Quote:

Originally posted by M62/M76
It is legal to buy and own. It is bought and sold on several sites - periodically.
I really question the "legal" Issue. If imported, it CAN NOT be sold to any end user other than Police or Military.

If US mfg., then the source is the US military which DOES NOT sell this item in any legitmate sale to civilians. So then you know you are are buying Stolen US military property.

How can any sale of this be a legal sale? (speaking of .50BMG Real stuff, not the home made smaller calibers sold as raufoss rip offs)

M62/M76 August 22, 2007 23:15

If it was illegal, I doubt people would be selling it on several sites. Go to biggerhammer.net - search raufoss - check the post from mark spencer. He had it for sale and explains why it is legal to have and sell - if acquired legally.

ammolab August 23, 2007 06:49

Search of that site for "raufoss" and Posts by "mark spencer" produce 0 results....

Am I looking in the right place?

Mouse August 23, 2007 07:09

Quote:

Originally posted by ammolab

I really question the "legal" Issue. If imported, it CAN NOT be sold to any end user other than Police or Military.

If US mfg., then the source is the US military which DOES NOT sell this item in any legitmate sale to civilians. So then you know you are are buying Stolen US military property.

How can any sale of this be a legal sale? (speaking of .50BMG Real stuff, not the home made smaller calibers sold as raufoss rip offs)

The US military might not sell it but they give it by the ton to nearly any law enforcement agency who asks for it. After it sets and sets and it isn't used by them it's frequently sold off to fund other equipment, so it's not stolen.

jefferyc22 August 23, 2007 10:49

99% of cops I have talked to should never ever handle anything more than a handgun much less a .50BMG with HE rounds !

ammolab August 23, 2007 11:00

Quote:

Originally posted by Mouse

The US military might not sell it but they give it by the ton to nearly any law enforcement agency who asks for it. After it sets and sets and it isn't used by them it's frequently sold off to fund other equipment, so it's not stolen.

Good way to explain the item in the market place. But I bet US Govt. equipment that is 'granted' to the Police is limited to "USE" by the PD and not for sale to generate funds for the department. I bet you never see LA PDs 600 M16 rifles for sale anytime soon.... but ammo.....who knows what is shot up for training or sold for CASH. Don't make it 'legal'. If so, every PD in the US would ask for 200,000rds of Raufoss 50BMG per month and hit the gun show trail for cash!

I say this as one (me) who was featured on 20/20 (CBS) for selling stolen US govt 5.56mm M196 Tracer ammo at a Gun Show. This was back before Talon, etc and there were no "legitimate" US sales of this item to civilians. Yes, Law enforcement misapropriations and Army thefts, but no legal sales.

My 15 minutes of infamy!

M62/M76 August 23, 2007 18:46

Ammolab, go to biggerhammer.net, then 50 cal, 50 cal discussion board, search, raufoss - make sure you click search for farther back (date) - post by mark spencer (2-13-06) It is there.

ammolab August 23, 2007 20:05

Quote:

Ammolab, go to biggerhammer.net, then 50 cal, 50 cal discussion board, search, raufoss - make sure you click search for farther back (date) - post by mark spencer (2-13-06) It is there.
Marks explination certainly seems logical. He must get that "stollen" thing quite often. He must realize the very small legitimate pipeline for this round.

His price per round was also double what the stuff sells for at gun shows in Texas...which I question the source in most cases, is as documented as Marks.

It ain't comming straight from the US Govt or Police depts in any "legal" way.

M62/M76 August 29, 2007 23:14

Ammolab, guy on gunroker has several ads for raufoss right now.

ammolab August 30, 2007 07:53

Quote:

Ammolab, guy on gunroker has several ads for raufoss right now.
OK, $50/rd or 20rds for $1000.00 I see those auctions. I see Raufoss at many of the Texas Gun shows for sale @ $20.00/rd. Most of this is full liked cans..... and "most" is fresh from Ft Hood Supply!

M62/M76 August 30, 2007 20:39

I wouldn't buy it either at that price, just showing you - it is usually up for sale somewhere. I think I would buy some though - if it was $20.00/round.