The FAL Files

The FAL Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ammunition (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   What is DAG 7.62 x 51? (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152450)

Brian in MN October 17, 2005 12:08

What is DAG 7.62 x 51?

Just bought a couple hundred rounds of DAG 76 7.62 x 51 headstamp. No NATO cross. What is this stuff?

thanks,

Brian in MN

ammolab October 17, 2005 12:32

DAG 7.62x51mm

DAG is German mfg. Very good ammo! They do contract runs for foreign Military buyers and the "NATO" mark on the headstamp is not required in many cases.

Derby FALs October 17, 2005 12:36

I bought a box of DAG .380 and it was weak, weak, weak...

ce October 17, 2005 14:33

Deusche Actien Gesellshaft, or something like that.

ftierson October 17, 2005 15:36

By the way, I've shot (and still have some squirreled away) DAG 7.62x51mm NATO with the NATO cross on the headstamp (DM41) and it was normal, normal, normal, not weak, weak, weak... (And I'm not trying to say that Derby is wrong about what he shot (and I'm assuming that is was really .308 and not .380 (but I could be wrong)) :) )...

)Let's see, did I close all the parentheses?)

Much of the NATO marked DAG was packed in the heavy duty 200rd plastic battle packs. The stuff that I have, and that I have shot, is/was DAG 66.

If you have a source for the DAG ammo, I'm sure that many here would be interested...

Forrest

Wadman October 17, 2005 16:04

DAG? I could use some more of that. The lots I chrono'd seemed fine. DAG is also reported to have thin jackets on the bullets.

Brian in MN October 18, 2005 08:52

Thanks, guys. I was hoping that it was German. I found 200 rounds on USGI clips in the bandoleer cardboards in a .30 cal can for 15 cents/round. Wish there had been more.

Am I correct that these bullets will behave like M193 ball when they hit tissue? That is to say, they turn sideways and fragment.

Bwana John October 18, 2005 10:23

Is DAG and MEN the same stuff? I have been getting 1200 rnd cases of MEN for $240, The boxes are marked New Zealand DoD. It is suspossed to be made in Germany, and has a projectile that has a thin jacket, and yaws after impact.

Wadman October 18, 2005 10:59

I heard that DAG and MEN headstamped ammo used the same thin jacketed bullets. Here's a link to a picture of what it looks like:

7.62 Frag Posting

ammolab October 18, 2005 17:35

German 7.62x51mm bullet jacket is not only thin with cannelure, but it is plated steel, not guilding metal. The steel is brittle and tends to fracture rather than bend when tumbling through flesh and bone. Bullet then breaks up as shown.

J. Armstrong October 18, 2005 20:55

I have some DAG 68-37. I have had a few weak rounds ( failure to fully extract, bolt smooshes empty case back into chamber :redface: ) - just often enough that I can't trust this batch if TSHTF. Probably a batch that wasn't stored properly. A shame, as most of it seems very good and better than average accuracy.

Wadman October 19, 2005 16:41

Quote:

Originally posted by J. Armstrong
I have some DAG 68-37. I have had a few weak rounds ( failure to fully extract, bolt smooshes empty case back into chamber :redface: ) - just often enough that I can't trust this batch if TSHTF. Probably a batch that wasn't stored properly. A shame, as most of it seems very good and better than average accuracy.

Pull down the ammo and re-use the projectiles.

J. Armstrong October 19, 2005 18:17

Nah, it's blaster stuff - gotta use something to get on the paper anyway. Got plenty of Hirt, SA, and Radway, so it doesn't make sense to pull it down.

KIT October 19, 2005 23:05

Brian

I looked the DAG headstamp up for you in Janes Infantry Weapons.
Detail follows:

7.62 x 51mm - "DAG" Headstamp
Manufacturer: Dynamit AG, Nuremberg - Federal Republic of Germany

I purchased several cases of DAG headstamped 7.62 x 51mm dated '68 in the early 80's from Paragon/IL when they were still in business. It was packaged in 200rd banded bricks comprised of 10 boxes in 2 rows of 5 boxes per ea w/ 20rds per box. Both the primer and neck were sealed with a green laquer. It ran fine in all of my rifles, never had a single misfire and was extremely accurate.
Good stuff......I wish I could find more.

-KIT-

NZ L1A1 Collector October 20, 2005 18:20

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Brian in MN
Thanks, guys. I was hoping that it was German. I found 200 rounds on USGI clips in the bandoleer cardboards in a .30 cal can for 15 cents/round. Wish there had been more.

Hey Brian, are the stripper clips marked 'H' on the back and is the bandoleer just a plain dark green, 5 pocket type LIKE THIS?

I've been talking with a couple of guys in the Netherlands and they recon the ammo is a quazi German/Belgium/Dutch combination as neither the Dutch or the Germans used bandoleers. It's most likely this ammo was made for a foreign contract order, maybe in the Netherlands.... maybe in Germany?

At the moment the most likely place the bandoleer comes from is Belgium (FN).

This ammo has a real international flavour.

Ammunition = Germany
Bandoleer = Belgium
Stripper Clips = The Netherlands
Ammo Can = Germany.

The ammo can that this ammo comes in. (different markings)

Brian in MN October 21, 2005 09:28

Sadly, no. It looks like the clips are USGI. They are mostly SEY with a few UFKIN. The UFKIN markings are all very light so I may have misread a letter or two. No bandoleers. It will be going into some of those excellent Aussie bandoleers that Sportsman's Guide used to have.

The can is a standard US M60/M73 can. Dull, dull, dull. Wish it was in the one in your pic.

ftierson October 21, 2005 11:05

Hey, Kevin, I just noticed the cubic DM marking on the top of the DAG can in the photo instead of a cubic M graduation...

I've never seen that before...

Have you seen other ammo cans with the volume marked like that?

Forrest

ftierson October 21, 2005 11:07

Whoops, I meant MEN instead of DAG, of course.

Forrest

Gunny71 October 21, 2005 19:53

I have some DAG stamped '65. Shoots very well.