The FAL Files

The FAL Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ammunition (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Reloading Press Question..... (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422375)

K. Funk December 26, 2017 11:30

Reloading Press Question.....

I am looking to upgrade my reloading equipment. I have been using a Rock Chucker for many years. I buddy of mine has been doing my high volume 9mm , .45 ACP and .38 special on a Square Deal B. If money was no object, well mebbe a small object, what would be the ultimate practical set-up? I am thinking that 2 Dillon 550's, one for large primer and one for small primer, would be the cats meow. The 650 seems a bit much in terms of complication. My high volume rounds would be 9mm, .38/.357 .40 S&W/10mm, .45 ACP, .223. .308 and .30-06. Medium volume would be .44 Mag, .44 Sp. .45 Colt. Low volume would be lots of oddball military rounds and various hunting rounds. They would stay on the Rock Chucker. Any opinions appreciated.

krf

meltblown December 26, 2017 11:41

A 550 with the quick change plates already set up would be a good choice. For large rifle brass like 308, I size on the chucker because the force needed sometimes to full length size. You know how sometimes the ball wants to hang on the sizer die? It can wad the system up and if your not careful you will stroke it again and dump powder all over the place on a double charge. Then it's a mess to clean up because it will gum up the the shell holder plate and block the rotation For a pistol case the 550 is great.

As far as moving between large and small primers, the change isn't that much problem. Maybe 10 minutes to change out the tube magazine and the anvil.

Timber Wolf December 26, 2017 14:32

I love my 550 and often dream of having a second one set up for the "other" primer size. To be honest though it would be a waste of space and as noted it is not that bad to change over. Gives a fellow a chance to clean stuff up while swapping out. One thing I have learned, my 550 prefers to run cleaner rather than dirtier. I did trade into a 9mm SDB and like having a press set up just for 9mm as it is currently my high volume caliber. But if you really want my advice, buy a 1050 (for each caliber) and be done with it.:bow:

Sagerider December 26, 2017 15:26

I have a Dillon 650 with the rotary case feeder set up for 9mm. and I have not changed to anything else for quite some time. The thing is fast and trouble free once dialed in correctly. They were not cheap when I bought mine and they certainly are not cheap now. I really do like mine a lot. :)

kotengu December 26, 2017 15:27

"If money is no object" - buy premium ammo by the truckload and forget about this reloading nonsense. :facepalm:

Money is ALWAYS an object, even for a multi-millionaire. I have a 550b and love it. It's easily quadrupled my shooting for about the same cost. I primarily load .308 and .45 on it, but also do some 9mm and .223 (don't tell anyone!).

If you're wanting to crank out more than a thousand rounds a month and will very rarely change calibers, go with the 1050. Otherwise, I'd say start with one 550 and if you really see a need for a second order one later.

Falfan2017 December 26, 2017 15:48

I have the hornady lock n load automatic progressive. Loaded only small primer stuff on it.

Pros: cost it's really cheap especially if you buy from cabelas with discount gift cards bought from raise.com plus they have a promo for 500 free bullets.
I had a lee progressive before which was terrible so the hornady is a lot better in every way than that.
Super fast caliber changes. They have quick trim bushings to instantly change dies. Much faster and cheaper to change calibers on this than most other presses unless you spend a ton of money on Dillion quick change kits. The Dillion quick change costs about as much as the entire hornady press.
Powder measure is very accurate and consistent with most powders. Much better than the lee products in my experience. I have not done much with dillion so I can't compare to that.

Cons
If you're talking really high volume like thousands a week and want to have a really fast and consistent bullet feed and case feed the Dillon is better. Maybe even a 1050 but it's going to cost significantly more especially with the amount of Calibers you're talking about.
I've had some trouble with the primer tube slipping and the primers getting jammed. Not a frequent problem but when it happens it's annoying and you have to dump all primers and pick em up again.

Overall I'd say the hormady ap is worth a look especially for as many calibers as you talk about as long as you aren't talking massive production numbers.

4x401 December 26, 2017 16:12

Been loading on a 550B for 26 years. Thousands of rounds. Have never seen a need to buy anything else for volume work.

When I do high volume rifle loading, I prep all my brass first in a Redding Ultramag single stage set up with my Dillon RT-1200 sizer/trimmer. Then I hand prime.
From that point, I can load as many as I like. The only things that slow me down are adding more primers and powder to the press, and occasionally checking the powder charges. With extra primer tubes loaded, I can easily do 6-800 rounds an hour. Pistol stuff gets the whole treatment in the 550B after cleaning the brass.

I got a neighbor into shooting/reloading years ago. He's one of those "bigger is better", types. Tried to talk him into a 550B, even had him try mine out. Had to have a 650, was way overkill to his needs. He quickly learned to hate the auto-index feature...a real pita when a particular round gets buggered up in process.

Sold it and bought a 550B for rifle stuff, and a Square deal B for 9mm/.45 ACP. He lived happily ever after. :)

Imho, you need to be loading in excess of 10k + rounds a year to need anything bigger than a 550B. As always, YMMV. :)

meltblown December 26, 2017 16:24

Yanno Rich, I hand primed my last 2k of 308. I thought it went smoother than priming using the press. Also the thing about sizing off line is that you need to clean the lube after sizing anywho unless you want to clean loaded rounds

VALMET December 26, 2017 17:12

+1 for 550...hard to beat...Iíve been using mine regularly for about 15 years...rifle and LOTS of pistol ammo. Highly doubt youíd be disappointed.

meltblown December 26, 2017 17:35

Also can't beat Dillon customer service. Bought a 30 yr old used with bits and pieces missing. Never had a progressive and after figuring out what was missing called and after a list of about $90 worth of parts that were worn out on the powder measure or missing magazine tubes, guy said no charge. The know their shit. Just ask Lew he's on meds too

I would get the alarm for the low level in the powder measure. I looked up one occasion and was out. Had to weigh 4 or 5 to figure out the ones with no charge. Not good if you just dumped them in a pile of 250 Squibbs aren't good.

kotengu December 26, 2017 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by meltblown (Post 4518418)
Yanno Rich, I hand primed my last 2k of 308. I thought it went smoother than priming using the press. Also the thing about sizing off line is that you need to clean the lube after sizing anywho unless you want to clean loaded rounds

Yep. I use surplus brass for .308 and it's just funky enough to not prime smoothly on the Dillon. I size and uniform singly, clean off the lube, then hand prime. Powder throw consistency improved greatly when I stopped priming on the Dillon too.

Hangun ammo is 100% Dillon - clean brass, then keep feeding it in there until your arm gets tired. I just finished another 1,000 rds of 45ACP last week.

meltblown December 26, 2017 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotengu (Post 4518453)
Yep. I use surplus brass for .308 and it's just funky enough to not prime smoothly on the Dillon. I size and uniform singly, clean off the lube, then hand prime. Powder throw consistency improved greatly when I stopped priming on the Dillon too.

Yep me too LC brass. It gets crunchy on the anvil and snatching the lever upwards gets to making my elbow sore. Also, had some that got loaded without primers:sad:

Basically for the OP is integrate the RC and progressive on the loading bench by the flow of work. A 550 isn't going to completely replace a single stage with large rifle rounds.

Gotta case trim too after sizing 308 Forgot to mention

55bird December 26, 2017 18:09

Been loading on a 550B for 20 years, no need for anything else, .38/.357,.40,.45,.45LC,.223,.308,30.06, 6.5 Creed, 7TCU. Gotta have loaded 40K over the years.

4x401 December 26, 2017 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by meltblown (Post 4518418)

Brass prep is a time consuming pita anyway you try to attack it imo, so yea my "brass prep" description was a bit brief...:biggrin:

It actually goes like this;

1) Tumble cases clean
2) Deprime on my Rock Chucker using a universal decap die.
3) Swage primer pocket w/Dillon SS-600 (if needed)
4) Size/trim as described above (I make my own lanolin spray lube too) :biggrin:
5) Tumble to remove lube
6) Inside/outside neck debur and chamfer
7) Clean, uniform primer pocket depth
8) Debur, uniform, and chamfer flash hole
9) Re-prime

Its not practical from a quality standpoint to just run fired rifle brass through any progressive press. And I doubt many do. But I would love to hear from someone that does things different. :beer:

wanneroo December 26, 2017 18:17

I just got a Hornady AP progressive for Christmas. Seems to work well for most people and the cost is reasonable.

One big plus I found was accessories for it and all is easily accessible via Amazon or at the well stocked Cabelas I do a lot of retail shopping at. The Dillon stuff seems hard to find. There is only one retail establishment in PA I know of that sells Dillon. Hornady much, much easier to find if I need something.

For now I am content to only load pistol on it, I'll stick with rifle on the single stage for now. With the way I do rifle and the case prep involved I don't see it saving me time for the moment.

meltblown December 26, 2017 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanneroo (Post 4518472)
I just got a Hornady AP progressive for Christmas. Seems to work well for most people and the cost is reasonable.

One big plus I found was accessories for it and all is easily accessible via Amazon or at the well stocked Cabelas I do a lot of retail shopping at. The Dillon stuff seems hard to find. There is only one retail establishment in PA I know of that sells Dillon. Hornady much, much easier to find if I need something.

For now I am content to only load pistol on it, I'll stick with rifle on the single stage for now. With the way I do rifle and the case prep involved I don't see it saving me time for the moment.

Get the Blue Press or just call. It's normally in the mailbox in a couple of days.

wanneroo December 26, 2017 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x401 (Post 4518469)

Its not practical from a quality standpoint to just run fired rifle brass through any progressive press. And I doubt many do. But I would love to hear from someone that does things different. :beer:

I've seen people with vacuums hooked up to on the press case trimmers and all sorts of crap to load all at once. Really to me with brass trimmings and case lube flying around, there is "case prep" and there is "case loading" and I don't mix the two at the same time.

I'm sure those that shoot tons of 556 and are not really into case prep and fine detail, load on progressives all the time.

One thing I learned is to forget loading milsurp 7.62 brass fired out of machine guns. Never again. Not only is it a pain in the ass resizing but also tons of trimming and other nonsense. Most of the brass was stretched out to 2.035 so lots of tired fingers trimming that stuff. And often after all that prep found plenty that failed the paperclip test. Too much work to rehab that stuff.

richbug December 26, 2017 19:06

I'm running a rock chucker and a 650 with case feeder. The 650 does everything effortlessly, but I cut my progressive teeth on a Lee Loadmaster(everything required effort, But it loaded me many 10s of thousands of rounds without blowing up a gun).

Rifle brass gets run through the RC, trimmed if needed, primer pockets worked, and primed if mil. Then into the case feeder after its tumbled. Commercial brass I let the dillon prime.

Pistol ammo gets tumbled, and dumped into the hopper. 9mm I am picky about brass as there is lots of problematic 9mm brass out there. All other calibers flow like water.

Full caliber and primer size conversions take half an hour or so, no big deal.

Get lots of spare tool heads(Lots of nice color coded ones on ebay cheap), and extra powder dies so you can swap over with less adjustment.

wanneroo December 26, 2017 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by meltblown (Post 4518477)
Get the Blue Press or just call. It's normally in the mailbox in a couple of days.

True but the Hornady stuff is just more accessible and easier to find. There are some retail stores I shop at here in PA that have everything Hornady makes on their shelves. I can't find much in major complaints with the Hornady progressive press, nor with their customer service.

So we'll see, I have it now and will be getting it going over the next few weeks.

grumpy1 December 26, 2017 20:40

Iíve been running a Dillon Square deal B for about 20 years that I bought off of eBay. I swapped out all my RCBS pistol dies for the SDB dies. It runs like a champ. By myself I can load about 400 rounds an hour, with help I can get close to 600 rounds per hour.

I still run a rockchucker for rifle rounds as I prefer to have as much control over them as possible. To speed things along I use a Lyman DPS1200.

As for the 550, I wouldnít hesitate to buy one if I could afford it and if I was shooting a lot of rifle rounds that I wasnít concerned with it holding tight groups.

Would also second what Dillons warranty and how knowledgeable their customer service is. My press had a screw that backed out a little and was causing some issues. The guy I talked with knew exactly what was the problem and sent out a upgraded kit free of charge. Knowing what caused the problem allowed me to fix my press and get back to reloading until the upgrade kit came in the mail.

4x401 December 26, 2017 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by grumpy1 (Post 4518518)
As for the 550, I wouldnít hesitate to buy one if I could afford it and if I was shooting a lot of rifle rounds that I wasnít concerned with it holding tight groups.

G. David Tubb did a video years ago teaching basic reloading technics and principles using different equipment from each end of the tool spectrum...manual to more automated.

He demonstrated case trimming with a precision Wilson tool, an RCBS hand tool, and the Gracie.

Case priming again using a high end Wilson hand tool, and the RCBS stand alone APS tool.

Powder charging was demonstrated using LEE hand dippers, RCBS beam scale, Redding/Gracie benchrest powder meters, and eletronic powder scales.

If memory serves me, his press demonstrations included a single stage Rockchucker, and for sure the Dillon 550B. That was noteworthy to me because a bit unexpected.
He demonstrated how to set up dies on both to improve consistency =(Accuracy).
He said flat out in the video that all his "Accross the course" ammunition (up to 600 yards), was loaded on the Dillon. And using his setup technic I completely agreed.
Consistent technics produce consistent results, and they can be had on the Dillon, as well as many other pieces of equipent.

grumpy1 December 27, 2017 01:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x401 (Post 4518544)
G. David Tubb did a video years ago teaching basic reloading technics and principles using different equipment from each end of the tool spectrum...manual to more automated.

He demonstrated case trimming with a precision Wilson tool, an RCBS hand tool, and the Gracie.

Case priming again using a high end Wilson hand tool, and the RCBS stand alone APS tool.

Powder charging was demonstrated using LEE hand dippers, RCBS beam scale, Redding/Gracie benchrest powder meters, and eletronic powder scales.

If memory serves me, his press demonstrations included a single stage Rockchucker, and for sure the Dillon 550B. That was noteworthy to me because a bit unexpected.
He demonstrated how to set up dies on both to improve consistency =(Accuracy).
He said flat out in the video that all his "Accross the course" ammunition (up to 600 yards), was loaded on the Dillon. And using his setup technic I completely agreed.
Consistent technics produce consistent results, and they can be had on the Dillon, as well as many other pieces of equipent.

Very good information, Iíll have to dig up the video and have a look at it.

4x401 December 27, 2017 08:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by grumpy1 (Post 4518588)
Very good information, Iíll have to dig up the video and have a look at it.

I believe Sierra sponsored/produced it. The copy I had disappeared from my possession, or I'd send it your way....I know it was loaned and never returned. :(

TenTea December 27, 2017 09:46

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb1CvjA7UmA

Easy way to swap primer size on Dillon 550.

Watch it and you will save time and frustration.

Click the link as I can't cipher how to embed from my phone.

KoKodog December 27, 2017 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanneroo (Post 4518489)
I've seen people with vacuums hooked up to on the press case trimmers and all sorts of crap to load all at once. Really to me with brass trimmings and case lube flying around, there is "case prep" and there is "case loading" and I don't mix the two at the same time.

I'm sure those that shoot tons of 556 and are not really into case prep and fine detail, load on progressives all the time.

One thing I learned is to forget loading milsurp 7.62 brass fired out of machine guns. Never again. Not only is it a pain in the ass resizing but also tons of trimming and other nonsense. Most of the brass was stretched out to 2.035 so lots of tired fingers trimming that stuff. And often after all that prep found plenty that failed the paperclip test. Too much work to rehab that stuff.

roll size it, wish I had the coin for a full setup, if you do, get on the waiting list

http://www.casepro100.com

lew December 27, 2017 12:21

Get a 550 and don't look back.

Bawana jim December 27, 2017 14:37

I used a Square deal to feed my handguns and subguns for competition. I have no idea how many rounds I made up in 45acp and 9mm but I broke the machine a few times and wore it out so bad it needed rebuilding. They repaired and rebuilt it for free, only cost was shipping it back to them.

It got me through a C class in IPSC, some IDPA and some old west shooting. Plus fed my subguns for our monthly matches. It's set for 44 specials today.:biggrin:

K. Funk December 27, 2017 16:56

Thanks for all of the good discussion. I think I am going to go with a 550. I also have a Redding turret press that I bought at an auction that is just collecting dust right now. Once the new shop is built, I think they will all have a home. I have 2 5 Gal pails filled with .223, but they will need case prep before loading. Clean/Size-de-cap/swage/trim/clean and then load.

krf

meltblown December 27, 2017 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanneroo (Post 4518489)

Dunno if I'm loading MG brass or not. I do see the 2.035 probably about 5 or 10 percent. But see it in commercial brass too fired from the FALs and they are all head spaced to 308. I think the FAL is just about as hard on brass. Especially on the rim. About the 3rd firing is pretty much it for me. The necks start getting thin.

It makes no rhyme or reason as to the OAL of stuff I shoot. Hell I get cases that shrank from what they were trimmed to.

W.E.G. December 27, 2017 18:22

You never save any money reloading.

You only get to shoot more.

Before you go all-in on an expensive new reloading contraption, ask yourself this one question: "Am I really going to shoot more?

Otherwise you just end up with an expensive new mechanical sculpture in the workshop, and many cans of handloaded ammo to look at and move around.

W.E.G. December 27, 2017 18:24

Last batch of once-fired 7.62 brass I bought was a huge disappointment.

Good (barely) for one firing.

Bawana jim December 27, 2017 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by K. Funk (Post 4518768)
Thanks for all of the good discussion. I think I am going to go with a 550. I also have a Redding turret press that I bought at an auction that is just collecting dust right now. Once the new shop is built, I think they will all have a home. I have 2 5 Gal pails filled with .223, but they will need case prep before loading. Clean/Size-de-cap/swage/trim/clean and then load.

krf

Only bad thing about a 550 is its manual index, you have to turn the shell plate. The square deal is auto index so you can't double charge. Somebody walks into the reloading room and disturbs you it's possible to run the 550 twice on the same station. Not a big deal with rifle because it just makes a mess but handgun it's dangerous.

Good luck and have fun.:shades:

K. Funk December 27, 2017 19:48

Ultimately, I would like auto index. Once I get through my initial big piles of brass, 9mm, .223 and .30-06 though, I don't see myself loading 1000 at a time. Most batches will be in the 100-500 range, so I think the 550 is better suited. Everything about the XL 650 looks more complicated. I've loaded well over 10k on the Rock Chucker, which is a lot of handle pulls. Once the new shop is up and I get retired from steel making, I will be looking forward to enjoyable loading. Right now, I have to move stuff for an hour before I can even think about sitting down at the bench. All the oddballs and low volume hunting rounds will stay on the Rock Chuck, 6.5 and 7.7 Jap, 6.5 and 7.35 Carcano, 6.5 Swede, .303 Brit, 7.62x54, 8mm, 7mm, 577-.450 MH, .43 Spanish plus a few dozen others.

krf

wanneroo December 27, 2017 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by K. Funk (Post 4518768)

krf

If you have that much brass I would automate everything as much as possible or you will be there to the end of time. Once I learned what I was doing, I have tried to automate or speed up tasks as much as possible and will continue to do so. I've seen people set up a Dillon 650 to do case prep with an on the press trimmer: resize, swage the primer pocket, on the press trimmer. And then of course do their loading in a whole separate set up.

wanneroo December 27, 2017 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by W.E.G. (Post 4518800)
Last batch of once-fired 7.62 brass I bought was a huge disappointment.

Good (barely) for one firing.

I bought a bunch for a "fun" winter project. It then became my winter, spring, summer into fall project. Never again. I don't think for all the work I had to do in rehabing machine gun fired beat up brass it was worth it. I wore out a whole trimming blade on the WFT trimmer and my fingers.

One of the processes one goes through as a reloader is learning when the juice is worth the squeeze on some things.

old_spambo December 27, 2017 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by 55bird (Post 4518468)
Been loading on a 550B for 20 years, no need for anything else, .38/.357,.40,.45,.45LC,.223,.308,30.06, 6.5 Creed, 7TCU. Gotta have loaded 40K over the years.

+1 I have been loading 9mm, .40SW, .223, 30.06, .308, 7.5x55 Swiss, 300BLK.... for 25 years using a 550. Never thought about getting another
press.

Spambo

Falfan2017 December 28, 2017 00:13

Here's a quick way to deal with rifle brass. Set up a decapper die or a sizing die with a decal pin. On another station in a progressive press use the lee quick trim with drill attachment. Then you're decapping and sizing and trimming all at once. I don't bother measuring to see if they need a trim. If they are already short enough it won't cut them too deep. Then I run them through the Dillion super swags if they are crimped and then into the tumbler for a clean up and remove the lube. Then you got prepped brass.

Timber Wolf December 29, 2017 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by TenTea (Post 4518645)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb1CvjA7UmA

Easy way to swap primer size on Dillon 550.

Huh, I'm going to have to try that next time.

TenTea December 29, 2017 12:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timber Wolf (Post 4519489)
Huh, I'm going to have to try that next time.

Isn't that a great tip? I thought so.
Simplify and streamline...

K. Funk December 29, 2017 16:20

Wonder if that trick works on a 650 as well??

krf

Old Sarge January 01, 2018 17:00

I bought a 550B for my 40th birthday and wondered why I waited so long. I reload most of your common calibers 380acp to 30-06 on it. I don't feel the need to move to a larger press. I find I do about 1K or so at a time.

I thought that I would want/need a second press setup so I could have one dedicated to Large primers and one dedicated to Small primers. Turned out that its not an issue. I normally clean the machine prior to starting so I just set it up for the proper size primer when I clean it. A whole lot cheaper then a second press. Money would be better spent on extra primer pickup tubes.

I find that I still us my old Rock Chucker to do small batches, load development and prep work like depriming and trimming for rifle cases.

My goal for 2018 is to load all the brass I have laying around or get rid of it. So I am going to start with 380Acp this month and see how it goes. I have a couple of calibers that I a have 5gal buck full of. That's going to take a bit of work to do.

I think you will find the 550B is plenty of press for your needs. If not you shouldn't have any issue selling it and upgrading as they seem to hold there value pretty well.

Old Sarge

lew January 03, 2018 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by K. Funk (Post 4519568)
Wonder if that trick works on a 650 as well??

krf

How could it? The 650 primer seating punch is a module screwed in from underneath the platform.

I used to load on some Lee presses- Challenger single stage and a Loadmaster- that my grandpa gave to my brother and I. After replacing the crank, the Challenger is at least marginally useful. The Loadmaster was a piece of crap. Really thought about blasting the hell out of it at the range, but we sold it for a couple hundred and put that money toward a 550C. No looking back.

K. Funk January 03, 2018 22:38

It turns out I will be getting a 550 after all...and about 4 other presses and tons of other stuff out of an estate that came up rather un-unexpectedly. It will be interesting to find out what all comes with the 550 and all the other stuff for that matter. It will be quite a load of stuff. I should know more in a few days.

krf

762gunr January 04, 2018 12:42

I load up to and including .308 on my old 550B.
I size .308/7.62 on my Rockchucker. I trim with a Giraud and hand prime all my rifle brass while watching TV etc.
I run a Redding comp seater on the 550 for .308 and use TAC powder both for 7.62 food and .308 "Match".

You can get excellent results.
This pic was from last week at 830 yards using my Dillon loaded "low grade" match. Full sized FC brass, S&B primer, 168 Zmax, 43.5 grains for TAC seated at standard 2.800"

Edit: Anyone else feel like they get less runout on the Dillon vs a Rockchucker? I think it's because the Dillon allows the brass to move and become concentric to the seating die. A standard shell plate can force the brass to be slightly misaligned with the seating die.

https://i.imgur.com/oNNdeQ5l.jpg

762gunr January 04, 2018 13:05

Regarding the use of once fired military 7.62 brass:
I have loaded close to 5,000 pieces of LC and US contract brass(TAA,SBS,PSD...etc).

It's a non issue.
99% of this brass WAS fired in a 240B machine gun. The base of the web is bloated beyond anything you will see from a civilian chamber.

Buy an RCBS Small Base die and a Sheridan slotted case gauge.
The issue is NOT.....I repeat NOT a headspace problem.

The slotted case gauge will allow you to feel what the issue is. Bad headspaced brass will drop right into the case gauge against the shoulder but the head will protrude out of the gauge.

A bloated case will swage to a stop in the case gauge just before it contacts the shoulder. It may or may not have the shoulder bumped back far enough to be in spec but it's irrelevant if it can't fit in the chamber.

Also....use lots of lube. I wet tumble range brass for a few minutes to remove any dirt. Dry the brass in the sun. Dump 200 pieces into a gallon zip lock. Spray RCBS case lube cut with alcohol in the bag. Tumble bag. Dump the brass out and let the alcohol evaporate.
Adjust your die until ALL rounds drop into the case gauge to proper headspace.
VERY VERY easy......it's not complicated.

kotengu January 04, 2018 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by K. Funk (Post 4521888)
It turns out I will be getting a 550 after all...and about 4 other presses and tons of other stuff out of an estate that came up rather un-unexpectedly. It will be interesting to find out what all comes with the 550 and all the other stuff for that matter. It will be quite a load of stuff. I should know more in a few days.

krf

Wow. Nice score! And sad for the guy who just lost it all.

Let me know if you want to sell anything off -