The FAL Files

The FAL Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   The 22 Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   rimfire rifle collection (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420551)

Texgunner November 02, 2017 09:40

rimfire rifle collection

Yesterday, it occurred to me that I had never taken a photo of my .22 rimfire rifles all together. I gathered them up and putzed around a bit on the deck with the camera. From left to right, the rifles are a Winchester Model 67 (1936 I believe), a CZ ZKM 468 (1950), Marlin Model 39A (1952), Mossberg 250CA (circa mid-60s?), Ruger 10/22 (1988) and a Marlin Model 60 (1992).

The Mossberg rifle is just like the first rifle I owned. My parents gave me one of those at Christmas, around my 11th birthday. Sometime in the early 80s, it was stolen from my pickup. I found this one on Gunbroker a few years ago and bought it then.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...ide%20good.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...20side%203.jpg

I'm just experimenting with Imgur and trying to get the hang of their system. It looks like choosing "huge thumbnail" gets the size I need:
http://i.imgur.com/tKcXXreh.jpg

Invictus77 November 02, 2017 10:12

Cool. Thanks for sharing!

TenTea November 02, 2017 12:03

Beautiful and arguably, all classics in their own right. :)

yellowhand November 02, 2017 12:10

Nice!
22 LR, gets tha job done daily, that's for darn sure.
Highly underrated.
:bow:

Texgunner November 02, 2017 12:47

Thank you gents! :whiskey:

skinnydash November 02, 2017 17:36

Nice! Had to show that to my dad who just loves .22s. Go get yourself a nice Winchester 75 too.

Sig220 November 02, 2017 20:05

A nice bag of 22 rifles there, Texgunner!

Gotta love a Winnie 67! I have one I bought and one I inherited from my dad.

He said as a kid in the depression, he was given 2 rounds of .22, the model 67 and the assignment to kill rabbits. Growing up with 6 siblings, he said that if he missed once the group ate "light". :uhoh:

I need to document my .22 collection....which also includes his trusted Remington 552.......wow.....what a rifle!!

Texgunner November 02, 2017 20:33

Thanks skinny and Sig! Yeah, I don't plan on stopping, also need a .22 pump-action rifle. Sig, get some pics up brother! I'd love to see your collection too. Thanks for the comments guys. :whiskey:

I was just thinking about that Mossberg 250. When I got mine at age 11, we would stop at the 7-Eleven store on the way out to our farm and my dad would let me buy a box of .22 ammo. It seems like .22 Shorts were about .49 a box and Longs were .69 with Long Rifles about .89 per box of 50. Man, there wasn't a turtle, frog or bird safe from this fat kid back then! Yes sir, good times indeed!! :biggrin:

VALMET November 02, 2017 20:38

Nice looking group! My 1st rifle was a Winchester 67A Youth my father gave me for my 6th bday back in 1987- it was his when he was young as well. That rifle has seen a lot of ammo but is well cared for. Love that Marlin 39 as well

Texgunner November 02, 2017 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by VALMET (Post 4497140)
Nice looking group! My 1st rifle was a Winchester 67A Youth my father gave me for my 6th bday back in 1987- it was his when he was young as well. That rifle has seen a lot of ammo but is well cared for. Love that Marlin 39 as well

Thank you sir! I bought that 67 from a guy I used to paint with years ago. I like that it has some "home-made" checkering and carving in the wood. You just can't buy them with folk art like that out of a store!

That 39 was just acquired a couple weeks ago, I had wanted one for a long time but they always went for more than I wanted to pay. I bid on that one on GB, just knew someone would outbid me and promptly forgot about that auction. A few hours later, I remembered and checked; I'll be damned if hadn't won it. A 1952 model just like me. Scratched, dented and worn just like me too! :wink:

pistolero1911 November 02, 2017 21:16

Very nice collection you have there. I can practically guarantee that you will come to love that Marlin 39. Of all the .22s I have owned, shot or coveted, my 39A is the clear favorite. They are awesome little rifles. Enjoy it!

Texgunner November 02, 2017 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by pistolero1911 (Post 4497150)
Very nice collection you have there. I can practically guarantee that you will come to love that Marlin 39. Of all the .22s I have owned, shot or coveted, my 39A is the clear favorite. They are awesome little rifles. Enjoy it!

Thanks a lot, I suspect you're right about that 39. :smile:

ftierson November 02, 2017 21:45

Very nice collection... :)

While I shot some Mossberg and Marlin bolt guns when very young, my first was a Ruger 10/22R (about 1974). About that time, I also inherited a Remington 514 (that my brother originally got for about 2 1/2 books of S&H Green stamps from the supermarket). I've added many more .22LRs over the years (one of the most fun being a Ranger Model 34)...

I still have the 10/22 and my daughter has the Remington 514 (which has one of the most beautiful bores that I've even seen in a gun).

Thanks for sharing yours...

Forrest

Texgunner November 02, 2017 21:58

Thanks Forrest, and you're quite welcome too! Imagine that, buying a rifle with S&H Green stamps! I can well remember going to the stamp redemption "store" when I was a kid. I got several pretty cool toys with mom's stamps back then.

I had to look up that Ranger Model 34. Cool old bolt gun!! :cool:

I specifically bought that ZKM 468 as a "grandkid" gun. Short, light weight and easy to use, I figure it will be ideal to break in the young 'uns before too long. My oldest grandson was 3 in August and I can't wait to sit him on a shooting bench!

Thanks again Forrest! :smile:

Arby November 04, 2017 21:18

Nice collection! I've got about half of that, and no Winnie.:cry:

Looking at your collection brings to mind that .22s are a lot of fun and are a great tool for keeping up marksmanship skills. I seem to forget that every time I go to the range, and bring only the heavy hitters. Perhaps next time I'll bring one of the old .22s, which haven't been fired in many years.

Thanks for the post, and the reminder!

Texgunner November 05, 2017 14:00

Thanks Arby, glad you liked them. You are right too in that I don't shoot them enough either. Hell, I don't shoot anything enough these days! I have to do something about that before long. Might just have a .22 rifle "shoot-off" to see which shoots straightest...:)

jwv3 November 24, 2017 20:42

Nice collection! I really like the Marlins. Especially if they are the New Haven or North Haven builds. (pre remington)

mack1611 November 24, 2017 20:51

Plus 1 for the Marlins, I just got a 1964 Marlin 57M "Levermatic" and it is a tack driver.:biggrin:

Texgunner November 25, 2017 08:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwv3 (Post 4505406)
Nice collection! I really like the Marlins. Especially if they are the New Haven or North Haven builds. (pre remington)

Thanks a lot!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mack1611 (Post 4505409)
Plus 1 for the Marlins, I just got a 1964 Marlin 57M "Levermatic" and it is a tack driver.:biggrin:

I think that's the next lever gun I'd like to have. I've never shot one but what I've read has intrigued me into wanting one. Who wouldn't want another Marlin rifle? :smile:

Invictus77 November 25, 2017 09:53

I don't have a nice rimfire collection like many of you, but I will share this photo from my office.

The bolt action is a Remington 510 that was my maternal Grandpa's. I lived next door to him until I was 8 and this is the first real gun I ever shot (other than a BB gun).

The falling block is a Hopkins & Allen that was my paternal Grandpa's.

The wooden "stand" they are sitting on is actually a Winchester cleaning kit that was a gift from my two oldest Grandsons a few Christmases ago.

https://i.imgur.com/tQ5ccgw.jpg

Texgunner November 25, 2017 10:06

Mike, that's very cool! What a great way to honor both of those gentlemen. That Remington looks quite a bit like the Winchester in my group. I love keeping the family history connections alive and well. Thank you for that sir! :smile:

Invictus77 November 25, 2017 10:12

Thanks. The "bridge" from my Grandpas to my Grandsons makes me happy :biggrin:

Texgunner November 25, 2017 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invictus77 (Post 4505546)
Thanks. The "bridge" from my Grandpas to my Grandsons makes me happy :biggrin:

:biggrin: That's what it's all about isn't it? And, you're part of the bridge too. Gotta love it! :wink: