The FAL Files

The FAL Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   Survival & Preparedness (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=131)
-   -   New Pneumonia Is Drug-Resistant, Deadly And Contagious (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418718)

Story September 02, 2017 20:35

New Pneumonia Is Drug-Resistant, Deadly And Contagious

Quote:

In the past few years, there have been so many "superbugs" appearing in hospitals around the world that we here at Goats and Soda haven't had the time or resources to report on all of them.
But a new type of pneumonia emerging in China seems so important that we dropped what we were doing to write about it.
Doctors in Hangzhou in southeastern China have detected a a type of pneumonia that is both highly drug-resistant and very deadly. It also spreads easily.
The bacterium — a type of Klebsiella pneumoniae — killed five people in an intensive care unit in Hangzhou in 2016, researchers reported Tuesday in the journal Lancet Infectious Diseases.
http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsand...and-contagious

Thinking music.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GPnc_RKjd-U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe

C2A1 September 03, 2017 11:18

I just finished Bushfire plaque III. #I pretty much hits what we can have.
Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTYNwwPQH4k. The whirlwind, he talks about.

yellowhand September 03, 2017 17:50

This combination of the two is what many people have been having nightmares about for a long time.
Guess its now reality, so only a matter of time before,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Time to dust off the shelf plans for the three hundred yard killing area. :facepalm:

Somethings just can't be fixed, only avoided.

hueyville September 04, 2017 09:04

Had a flu bug locally last winter so bad doctors were telling patients not to come in. Called in scripts and if didn't get better after second round advised calling 911.

Trypcil September 04, 2017 09:33

There is of course 'Phage' technology' - where the corresponding 'virus' is found for the specific bacterium and pow, no more bacterium! The Eastern bloc, Russia and I suspect a few other nations employ 'Phage Tech' - we don't, as of yet!
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0313134956.htm

This has been known about since the 1920's, if not before but big pharma is slow to adapt, for some undogly reason!

hueyville September 05, 2017 17:32

For pneumonia we have a fair stock of azmithromycin and clarithromycin to cover the Macrolides. Have doxycycline to cover Tetracyclines and levofloxacin to cover the Fluoroquinolones. Have a healthy amount of Ceftin and Keflex for Cephalosporin family of antibiotics that cover pneumonia. Probably have about as much amoxicillin and others from the penicillin class drugs to allow a rotating treatment of different medications to give best shot at treating drug resistant strains of pneumonia. Scored a vial of Peramivir which doctor gave us and will draw six I.V. doses from an internist we know along with some vancomycin while doing the fall doctor rounds today.

After the bug we picked up last winter in which I started Tammiflu within hours of first sympoms (remember if have to go to doctor, gef a script amd go to pharmacy its too far imto the flu virus for Tammiflu to really do its job of killimg the bug before it goes Chenobyl) and wife began fakimg becore first sypmtom when obvious I had the flu. We both saw our primary care doctors today and picked up four boxes of Tammiflu, four of Relenza at pharmacy. Both our doctors said the pneumonia vaccinations will be in before end of month. I missed my flu shot last year and paid dearly with it becoming pneumonia.

Wife and I use different primary care doctors in case one is out of town, totally swamped with patients or unreachable when in absolute need. One of my last FEMA pandemic courses was on how to set up a security perimeter around hospital to keep building from being over-run by people with sick children and wives. Will be an initial lock down at doors maintained by security staff and secondary perimeter at edge of paring lots and property lines soon as police and National Guard/Army Reserve can get in place. Region B (most of N.E. GA has 60% to 75% of beds occupped and can't afford to build big enough facility and maintain it for a true pandemic) and once we top 80% all hospitals will be locked down and mobile field hospital set up to triage patiemts, give a shot or few pills and send home. Plan goes on down the line to "doc in box" locations, private medical facilities all the way to dentists offices and even veterinary clinics.

Once it gets that bad meds are gone. Strategic Reserve will treat 30% of population which is the military, emergency responders and medical community plus their families. Means if a person does not have meds to treat and was not infected near event horizon where slipped into the system before closed your on your own. Either able to treat it or not. Why sold more body armor to doctors in past four years than any other group followed by pastors. Run more do tors and their wives through my defensive firearms class in same four years as entire life. Doctors know what people are going to do when family members are dying and hospital has security perimeter, their family doctor says out of meds as is pharmacy.

People will be kidnapping doctors to try and save their kids lives. I know am about to get spanked again about saying would break the law of land but if true pandemic is gripping country and world, my wife is dying I know which communities most local doctors live if not which houses. I will go get one and his wife and tell him if mine doesn't live, his won't either. He will find some meds stashed in his nag. Like my previous comments in another thread about making an emergency refill of meds in first minutes SHTF, we have a lot but not enough to properly treat the hive unless people on list show with items on their list to bring. Today was also refill day for my endocrinology meds. Did the rotation and inventory and now at 5.75+ years on two out of three I need to survive at full dose and 5.5 years on third. On track to be six years up on those by 1/1/2018 which will push me just past age 60 by a few months. I want a decade put back by age 60 if we can keep world together till end of Trump's first term which would keep me alive till 70 which is not likely to happen for an older person to fight out a decade of post collapse of society but a decades meds would give me hope that might live till they run out.

Bottom line, flu or pneumonia pandemic do not expect the medical system to stand up long enough to help you. Either have the meds and knowledge to use or die for the rats to eat. Those are your choices. All the guns and bullets in the world are no good without medical supplies and knowledge. Glad my wife is well sorted out in pharmacology, drug interactions, prescribing and lots more. Likely be better for a North Korean bottle rocket to land west coast than a true pamdemic. Clear destruction and danger area with clear enemy. Of course ISIS would follow up his bottle rocket with as much mainland mayhem as possible. If not confident you can treat your family fairly effective for a bird flu jumping to humans, weaponized flue or pneumonia right now better be getting ready fast. Also get the flue and pneumonia inoculations. Those will give you some head start on resistance. Our governments plan is to protect itself, our military and first responders while leaving civilians to themselves and be in place to resume control of whoever survives.

yellowhand September 05, 2017 17:49

Huey, next time you and mama are at your doctors, just let them know, if anything bad ever happens, EMP, whatever, just come over to our place with them and theirs.

They may poo poo the idea, or just be polite, but if something or when something bad happens, they will remember the invite and run for your location.
I've been out of medicine for over 25 years now, but most of my friends are still medical types.
Medics are friends with other medics, cowboys with other cowboys, no telling what would show up with one of your docs, but suspect it would be other medical types.
I just put down directions on the back of my business card, with a message, shit gets ugly, come on over, for select folks.

rowjimmy September 05, 2017 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowhand (Post 4474140)
Huey, next time you and mama are at your doctors, just let them know, if anything bad ever happens, EMP, whatever, just come over to our place with them and theirs.

They may poo poo the idea, or just be polite, but if something or when something bad happens, they will remember the invite and run for your location.
I've been out of medicine for over 25 years now, but most of my friends are still medical types.
Medics are friends with other medics, cowboys with other cowboys, no telling what would show up with one of your docs, but suspect it would be other medical types.
I just put down directions on the back of my business card, with a message, shit gets ugly, come on over, for select folks.

Sounds like huey is his own doc. :D

yellowhand September 05, 2017 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by rowjimmy (Post 4474181)
Sounds like huey is his own doc. :D

Shame, shame, shame on you RJ!

If our planned whore house operation does not work out, :whistling: I'm heading over to Huey's, so you be nice!!!!:biggrin:

rowjimmy September 05, 2017 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowhand (Post 4474193)
... so you be nice!!!!:biggrin:

I know no other way...

hueyville September 06, 2017 10:00

Yellowhand, have an internist whose wife is a psychiatrist who work within four miles of the Poderosa and live seven miles away. Live in huge glass house in upscale area that is undefendable and know it. Besides we have been friends over a decade and their plan is empty vault, grab dog (won't go anywhere their dog not welcome) and come to house. If at work clean out med cabinets and cold storage items and come straight here if going by house is too high risk. Have spent more time with him and helping his shooting than any other person. My GP, optometrist and dentist are all close and coming this way if possible. My endocrinologist is invited but doubtfull would come. Why have the dilemma of burning or sweeping the three houses full of mice. If core list and some of the "maybes" show up cannot house them. Head shrinker says 12 max capacity on house without risk of us shooting each other as stress increases. Don't think most consider the psychological issues of cabin fever, low calorie allowance, pulling watch seven days a week for months to years on end and burying hive members that don't make it. My goal is to get a hive functioning and train younger more healthy people on how to operate all power systems and perimeter alert systems. Bury our medical peoples in the panic room so not exposed to danger unless overrun and live healthy as long as possible and as health declines move myself and others closer to pawn positions. Next door big field is cultivated most summers and has diesel tractor, small bulldozer plus tillers. He and I have lots of long storage seeds. New neighbors over past decade have really helped. There are five Iraq and Afganistan combat vets living in site of house.

Three of them are in the rotation that cuts our grass. After my MVA accident that totally jacked my back noticed our grass never needed cutting. Just yesterday the newset neighbor to area was in yard with a big scag mower. The few times have tried to cut myself someone comes and fusses at me to not risk hurting my back, they have a rotation on the grass. When one has a tree issue I bring my High Ranger and pole saw and do some tree trimming. (Usually with me supervising now) Why I know which neighbors are likely to be great, which already think like me, have SHTF plans and three of the combat veterans have same opinion on the houses of mice as I do. We all question if easier to burn or better to sweep if need additional bunk space. When told the brothers down the road didn't think I could shoot the minor kids they told me that kind of attitude will get the people hurt, after two tours in Afghanistan they can shoot anyone that feel is a threat. Previous ice storms been able to loan spare generators to neighbors who now have their own so we have beginning of a hive if things play right.

Posted Google Earth overhead view like an idiot in the "no topic" thread. Take a look at expanded overhead. If we lock down the bridge and close the road 1/4 mile south of the Ponderosa, gives us a pretty large group of homes where the rats can be identified quickly and a small community has possibility to make it. Needed to live close to work but in area had potential to isolate. Took me almost a decade living inside bicycle/walking distance before a house came available in this community. Every house has basements and most are brick. For years only time a house went on market here was when a resident died because we are so close to town but soon as turn off main road goes from urban to country living immediately. I did not land in this house by accident.

Only about five houses in a 1/2 mile that are significantly better locations tactically but only one has come on market in 25 years since purchased mine, doctor purchased it and did huge remodel and addition. Due to deep water dock allowed lake lots, mostly lakefront even if docks not allowed, less than ten miles from hospital lots of doctors living around here. Add in attraction of 1996 Olympic venue and current Olympic training center lots of upper class people want to buy even crap houses to remodel or push down for lots. Over 50% of homes are multgenerational owned and amazing number of houses that have Iraq & Afganistan veterans moving in as parents go into nursing homes. I never figured that but finding it's likely a good thing if our little "island" can organize. If we can't nobody will last a month. We can feed a lot of people just going to commercial fishing techniques rather than sport fishing and it's a high number of hospital employee parking permits on cars if walk the area so without going off grid with Bill Gates bank account really can't figure a better place and still live a normal life if society holds together.

House having positive pressure HVAC system that will not allow unfiltered exterior air in is big advantage. Stockpiling meds, food and ammo for decades doesn't hurt. Learning how dot gov will respond is huge as know they will all back into their holes and let the citizens sort their own lives out if event is bigger than a hurricane or west coast earthquake. No way they can control the cities, open Midwest and be prepared for foreign aggression. Major panemic hits and we are on our own. There will be no emergency room, no 911, no ambulances and military will be confined to bases. It's Snake Blisskin in New York City Prison coast to coast based oN what each community is able to cooperate and pull off. Bugging out won't work unless in good shape and well trained as if look like might have a Snickers Bar in pocket or spare ammo in pack your dead. Besides who wants to wander around exposing themselves to bodies and living during a pandemic. I think human race survives or dies, just will be a few groups that will take longer to die except that is not how my manual reads in final chapter though it's vague and figure it's better to be prepared for pre-tribulation, mid-tribulation and post tribulation rapture. It is going south and God says leaving some preachers behind but don't know of any Jewish blood in my genetic string and it's supposed to be the Jews left to call people to God. Sounds like there is going to be a miserable period during end times and if have to endure it hope to do it more comfortably than most. If never read The Bible or religious suggest all read the Book of Revelation for contemplation. When the seals are broken on the scrolls we will have pandemics, earthquakes, storms, EMP's, volcanoes and all at same time while others are trying to either rule or kill us. Makes for as good of a read as Dante.

hueyville September 06, 2017 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowhand (Post 4474193)
Shame, shame, shame on you RJ!

If our planned whore house operation does not work out, :whistling: I'm heading over to Huey's, so you be nice!!!!:biggrin:

Short term having a secure prostitution thing will be a viable plan. Lots worse plans running around.

rowjimmy September 06, 2017 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by hueyville (Post 4474474)
Short term having a secure prostitution thing will be a viable plan. Lots worse plans running around.

I'm glad you see the merit in our plan. Of course, 55 gal drums of lube and pallets of condoms are also necessary goods to stockpile.

hueyville September 06, 2017 13:03

Post pandemic condoms won't be a huge deal. In fact, the females that survive and can get pregnant will be important as have genetic code that fought off the pandemic and combined with males that survived will be our best bet for repopulating with resistant youth when it comes back around. Most will assume if alive, relatively healthy. The drums of lubricants will be useful. As your hoes get pregnant will only lose about 90 days of actual working time (the really pregnant ones cam offer a discount to the guys who cant afford top tier) and their offspring will be good trading commodities for hives that need youth they can count on putting into work force in 10 to 12 years and females will bring a premium as future breeding stock. Keep half for future business staffing of hoes and enforcement then trade half for food, meds and ammo. I see a business plan but think long term, not just a few years. Could build a Vanderbilt or Kennedy type multi-generational dynasty while I am just trying to string up power for my little peninsula.

rowjimmy September 06, 2017 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by hueyville (Post 4474543)
Post pandemic condoms won't be a huge deal. In fact, the females that survive and can get pregnant will be important as have genetic code that fought off the pandemic and combined with males that survived will be our best bet for repopulating with resistant youth when it comes back around. Most will assume if alive, relatively healthy. The drums of lubricants will be useful. As your hoes get pregnant will only lose about 90 days of actual working time (the really pregnant ones cam offer a discount to the guys who cant afford top tier) and their offspring will be good trading commodities for hives that need youth they can count on putting into work force in 10 to 12 years and females will bring a premium as future breeding stock. Keep half for future business staffing of hoes and enforcement then trade half for food, meds and ammo. I see a business plan but think long term, not just a few years. Could build a Vanderbilt or Kennedy type multi-generational dynasty while I am just trying to string up power for my little peninsula.

Are you saying you want in with me and Yellowhand? :?

We'll have to talk it over, but I think we have room for you in the organization.

yellowhand September 06, 2017 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by rowjimmy (Post 4474551)
Are you saying you want in with me and Yellowhand? :?

We'll have to talk it over, but I think we have room for you in the organization.

yepper we do!:bow::bow::bow:

hueyville September 06, 2017 16:16

Actually I would get into the bottom line by keeping the nicer stock in my pen instead of leased out. I can just work a deal where supply you with necessary materials on occasion in trade for the average looking healthy young female offspring and young strong males to work for our hive and help shape its re-population. Need them young enough to teach balance of morality and reality so they only kill indiscriminately with remorse but get the job done at the end of the day for the greater good of the group. Expect you will have more males than will need for gay clients as believe most of the Southern Cali and ATL Midtown oddballs wont last though the collateral damage part of a population reset so we can train them to be heterosexual farm hands and use the dumber ones for cannon fodder.

Remember to properly test the IQ of your offspring as don't want to waste Einsteins as manual labor pool or throw ugly girls to the side till figure out if smart enough to be taught skills like making clothing and prepping food. Just like the males, gotta have cannon fodder, farm hands, technicians and leaders for any hive to continue long term. the really cool thing is due to human nature after we rebuild and tribes are established they will start killing each other and the entire dumb show begins all over. Maybe y'all can come up with a chain brand or fast food type model and can sell franchises. Clients will know basic cost and quality based on your brand.

Just got a call from relative in Miami. Doesn't want to drive and one way flights out of Miami are over $1,000 each in coach and $2,500 first class. Wanted $500 each for her yip dogs which any good house cat could whip so thats one less refugee and two less dogs at our house for the hurricane party.

Story September 20, 2017 16:27

Different maladies, same theme music.

Quote:

Concern about growing global antibiotic resistance has come to a head: The World Health Organization is now warning that the world is running out of antibiotics.
There aren’t enough truly new antibiotics being developed, especially for the most concerning antibiotic-resistant infections, according to a WHO report released Tuesday.
The United Nations health agency has aired its concerns about antibiotic resistance, which makes it more difficult to treat infections, for some time. Some of the group’s latest moves included updating guidelines for treating sexually transmitted infections and cautioning that just three antibiotics are being developed to treat gonorrhea, a “fairly grim” situation.
But the latest WHO report takes a broad and prospective look at antibiotic development, and what it describes is not a pretty picture.
“Antimicrobial resistance is a global health emergency that will seriously jeopardize progress in modern medicine,” said Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the WHO’s director-general. Without more investment in research and development, “we will be forced back to a time when people feared common infections and risked their lives from minor surgery.”
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/who...ics-2017-09-19

Quote:

LOS ANGELES (KABC) --
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health has declared a local outbreak of hepatitis A.

The health agency said the declaration was issued after the most recent new cases of the disease appear to have been locally acquired.

So far, 10 cases of hepatitis A have been confirmed among the high-risk homeless population in Los Angeles County, according to a press release from the department.

Four of the confirmed cases were in individuals who had been in San Diego and Santa Cruz. Three other cases were identified in a health facility in Los Angeles County. Two of those cases appear to have been acquired locally, according to the health department
http://abc7.com/health/hepatitis-a-o...ounty/2433276/

hueyville September 22, 2017 13:13

Been seeing so many advertisements for flu shots have asked at doctors office and my pharmacy about getting my flu shot due to my endocrinology issues making me more prone to picking up cold and flu bugs. While CVS, Walgreen's and even Kroger have signs saying to stop on in and get your flu hot now, none of my doctors or pharmacy have even gotten their shots in yet. When asked they all say its too early and if order now have to get the variety with more thimerosal which is a preservative made with low levels of mercury. Have always tried to get vaccinations that did not have thimerosal so limit exposure to unnecessary mercury exposure. I know I played with way too much of the stuff when young and didn't realize it was not something to handle with bare hands.

Quote:

It has been said for years that the best time to get the flu shot is between Halloween and Thanksgiving. With the widespread timing of flu season and the unknown duration of antibodies, it's hard to say whether a few weeks will make a difference. But, if you are older (80% - 90% of flu-related deaths occur in people older than 65) it's probably best to stick to the standard recommendation of November and have as many of those antibodies at the ready come February. But, if it the choice is getting the flu shot now or letting it drop down on your "things to do" list until it falls below "organize closet".... go out and take care of it.
Quote:

Now that pharmacies are regularly distributing vaccines, their push to get people in for shots is not entirely in the interest of public health. Rather, they are betting on the customer picking up something else while in the store. And, with the CDC recommending, since 2010, that every person older than six months receive a flu vaccine, that is a lot of people coming through their doors. But, has their competition made the push for the flu vaccine too early?

That is a tough question to answer. There are two factors to consider that are moving targets - making it difficult to say, exactly, when is the best time to get the flu vaccine. The first is that flu "season" is not clearly defined. There is a lot of variation, from one year to another, in when cases occur - starting as early as October and lasting as late as May. However, when the data over the years are compared, the brunt of the flu season is, primarily, during February and March.

The second factor is how long the immunity from the vaccine lasts in our bodies. When a person is vaccinated, the immune system goes through many steps to produce antibodies specific to the flu, taking one to two weeks to develop full immunity. The amount of protection from the flu depends on the amount of antibodies circulating in the body. So, waiting to get the vaccine until flu season is in full swing is a bad idea. You want to have those antibodies ready and waiting before you get coughed on. However, not only does it take time to develop antibodies, but, they also don't last forever. Therefore, getting vaccinated too early runs the possible risk that there won't be enough antibodies left to protect you when you get coughed on.
Quote:

Flu season is not here yet - but flu shot season is. Pharmacies such as CVS and Walgreen's are running massive ad campaigns letting us know that they have plenty of flu shots and now is the time to come in and get one. But, it seems as though every year, the push for flu shots gets earlier. With ads starting in September, will flu shots become one of those errands lumped in with school supply shopping and other back to school errands? Next year, will we be thinking about flu shots while sitting by the pool?
https://www.acsh.org/news/2016/10/03...flu-shot-10242

So I am going to wait and get my flu shot when the people have trusted for years say its time, not when a commercial, sign or in-store display say to run on back and see the pharmacist. On a side note have been collecting mercury all my life. anytime a thermometer or HVAC control is thrown away I save them, dig out of trash or construction debris and bleed them dry. Also keep a fair number of the bulbs from HVAC controls with mercury in them intact with as long of leads as possible as never know when a "mercury switch" might be handy to have around. At least thats what I have been told so figure what the heck, may need to fix my thermostat someday. Wonder how much mercury goes in the landfill every year?

Story December 08, 2017 14:42

Quote:

This year’s flu season may be rougher than usual, as early reports show the vaccine is only about 10 percent effective.
The vaccine may have been mismatched for the strains that are spreading this year, according to a report published in the New England Journal of Medicine. This year’s vaccine is proving to be about 10 percent effective, and Australia — which uses the same type of vaccine and generally has its flu season during U.S. summer — is seeing record-high numbers of cases and higher hospitalizations than usual, according to KMOV.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifest...206-story.html

Quote:

NEWKIRK, Okla. (AP) — The U.S. Department of Homeland Security announcement that it was conducting biosecurity drills in the Oklahoma farming town of Newkirk was tucked among the local weekly newspaper's classified ads.
The notice mentioned a "low level outdoor release of inert chemical and biological simulant materials" and directed people to a science-heavy website explaining why the agency chose the community.
The Newkirk Herald Journal thought it should be front-page news, and its subsequent article sent shockwaves through the town of about 2,300 people, leaving them wondering, "Why here?" and questioning the government's assurances about the safety of the chemicals it plans to use during tests that will gauge how authorities might respond to a bioterror event.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...bioterror-test

yellowhand December 08, 2017 15:39

Saw the flu thing not being good this year, time to clear out the brush further away from the house.:rofl:

ROBBO December 08, 2017 16:10

huey, looks like you are gonna run out of doctors in your AO PDQ.

308/223shooter December 08, 2017 16:22

I used to get incredibly sick every year, after I got the flu shot. A few years ago I quit getting the shot, and haven't had the flu since. Makes one wonder doesn't it?

yellowhand December 08, 2017 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by 308/223shooter (Post 4511143)
I used to get incredibly sick every year, after I got the flu shot. A few years ago I quit getting the shot, and haven't had the flu since. Makes one wonder doesn't it?

I've been lucky, working as a principal all those years/decades actually and coming into contact with every known illness to mankind, even the 24 yrs of active duty.:wink:
But got to agree, always have taken the flu shot, but not last two years, and ain't gotten ill at all.
This shot won't do squat anyway this year.
Its nice being retired and living out on the boonies, anything bad occurs, hell,I'll just shut my front gate and let it all burn right over my head.
Got enough chow for a few years. Might just eat it all and get fat before it goes bad.:rofl:

V guy December 09, 2017 13:00

I had sinus surgery in Oct, and it has fixed me up after a year of fighting chronic flu/pneumonia symptoms.

Apparently something had settled in my sinuses; I could not kill it off.

Surgeon chopped out tonsil tissue, uvula chop job, nasal drill, scrape, break, cut, etc. I was out 2 hrs on table, not the usual half hour ream job.

Haven't felt this good in a year, but still healing.

I will get the flu shot again this year. Had both pneumonia shots in years past. Hope to live long enough to sell off guns.

SAM1965 December 09, 2017 18:15

8 years ago I stopped getting shots

And I still get a cold twice a year. Normally not bad enough to miss work but sometimes. I use over the counter stuff.

I am a fairly healthy man of 52. A bit of extra padding. I try to eat good. I do exercise and do the gym at work as often as I can. I do like my Copenhagen though and I have my drinks sometimes.

I really question the flu shot thing.

Story December 17, 2017 04:01

Quote:

Health officials say the Deep South is among the hardest-hit regions of the nation so far this flu season.
In its latest update on influenza activity, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta identifies seven states reporting widespread flu activity, and all but one are in the South: Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma and Virginia.
http://katv.com/news/local/flu-is-st...ard-12-16-2017

Story December 21, 2017 11:45

758% in AZ
http://www.azfamily.com/story/371102...from-last-year

yellowhand December 21, 2017 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Story (Post 4516285)

At my wife's and my age, more concerned over the flu related pneumonia than the actual flu.:cry:

Flu is here for real, knocked down a whole family of six right down the road from me for over a week, so staying away from crowds and keeping hands away from mouth.

Even washed me hands after speaking to them over the phone!!!!!:rofl:

Any good news with all this, the pneumonia vaccines, both of the injections out on the market, are targeting the type connected with this flu outbreak.
And we got both of those.:biggrin:

RomanLeaderII December 22, 2017 11:22

All courtesy of a relatively open door Refugee Policy and failing to enforce our Southern Border. Oh yeah Industry loves cheap taxpayer subsidized, disease ridden labor from the Third World. Now our Nation suffers from a health crises to spread like wildfire and treated at Taxpayer Expense.

A1Trigger_Happy December 23, 2017 23:52

Tonight I had to take one of the kids to the doctor. Went.by.pharmacy to pick up the prescriptions and all I was to pick up was his antibiotics. They had run out of the cough medicine and oral steroid.

I also overheard the pharmacist telling another costumer that they had run out of tamaflu earlier today. From what I heard they were the last pharmacy in the county to have it. Also the truck bringing medications won't run till after Christmas.

Trypcil December 24, 2017 00:25

Don't get a flu shot - they are bad for you!:facepalm:

yellowhand December 24, 2017 01:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by A1Trigger_Happy (Post 4517431)
Tonight I had to take one of the kids to the doctor. Went.by.pharmacy to pick up the prescriptions and all I was to pick up was his antibiotics. They had run out of the cough medicine and oral steroid.

I also overheard the pharmacist telling another costumer that they had run out of tamaflu earlier today. From what I heard they were the last pharmacy in the county to have it. Also the truck bringing medications won't run till after Christmas.

Couple of teaspoons of honey in a warm tea will help with the cough.
Vicks vapor rub on the chest of the children will also provide some relief.

Steroids and Tamaflu help a great deal, but as you said, they go away quickly when there is an outbreak of Flu or URI in the area.

Try Walmart, their trucks seem to run daily, restocking at night.

Prayers for your little one.

If flu has not hit your areas for everyone else, a call to your GP will get you a script for Tamaflu most of the time without an office visit, they prefer you stay home vs getting them sick.:whistling:
Ask for one box for each member of the family, and that relative staying with ya,:whistling: getting it before ya need it best way to go.

1769 December 24, 2017 07:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowhand (Post 4517464)

Steroids and Tamaflu help a great deal, but as you said, they go away quickly when there is an outbreak of Flu or URI in the area.

If flu has not hit your areas for everyone else, a call to your GP will get you a script for Tamaflu most of the time without an office visit, they prefer you stay home vs getting them sick.:whistling:
Ask for one box for each member of the family, and that relative staying with ya,:whistling: getting it before ya need it best way to go.

good advise YH. Worth a call this week

Black Blade December 24, 2017 08:28

Captain Trips?

:|

SWOHFAL December 24, 2017 10:59

Thank an illegal or other third-world immigrant today....

A1Trigger_Happy December 24, 2017 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowhand (Post 4517464)

Thanks for the tips yellowhand. He seems to be feeling better this morning. Found one med at one pharmacy and still trying to find the other. It's been a bad cold, sinus infection, and stomach bug season here this year. Seems like the kids keep catching something every couple of weeks. I've been lucky so far and haven't caught the stomach bug yet. Did get a sinus infection that knocked me down just a bit. Get those at least once a year. I never remember getting them while I lived in Florida. Moved to Alabama 12 years ago for work and seem to get it yearly.

Thanks for the prayers also.

Trypcil December 24, 2017 13:46

A simple daily notion/potion - juice 2 lemons, mix with Manuka honey, a splash of Gin to taste - drink slowly outside, facing the sun(vitamin D) for 1/2hour. As a chaser take 1 measure of colloidal silver and a glass of milk,(or yoghurt and meusli) - and as much fruit as you can bare. During the winter, most immune systems suffer due to a lack of vitamin D - something critical to immune system efficiency. If you are lactose intolerant - yogurt, and D supplements - plus as much daylight as you can get. If you decide to get a flu jab, prepare to get ill, especially if you are over 65. Just remember if you do get the flu after your flu jab, you have little or no recourse against the vaccine industry. Good luck.
Just remember the Healthcare industry is there to extract money from you, not make you well - that would be self defeating!

yellowhand December 24, 2017 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by A1Trigger_Happy (Post 4517618)
Thanks for the tips yellowhand. He seems to be feeling better this morning. Found one med at one pharmacy and still trying to find the other. It's been a bad cold, sinus infection, and stomach bug season here this year. Seems like the kids keep catching something every couple of weeks. I've been lucky so far and haven't caught the stomach bug yet. Did get a sinus infection that knocked me down just a bit. Get those at least once a year. I never remember getting them while I lived in Florida. Moved to Alabama 12 years ago for work and seem to get it yearly.

Thanks for the prayers also.

Raising children is fun, except when they all get sick, one at a time, wears mom and dad out.;)

Some of these bugs are darn hard to kill.
Adding a half teaspoon of unscented clorox bleach to the dish washer seems to help when folks have a bunch of kids.
As well as wiping down all the counters, sinks, fridge, bathroom surfaces with a mild solution of bleach, door knobs, anywhere little hands can reach or touch every few days.
A couple drops in a spray bottle for their toys and such as well.

We have several very large families around here and they use this method as soon as one gets sick, seems to help keep it from spreading.

Can't hurt.:D

I used to use 50/50 mix of bleach and water on war wounds, cleaning all the crap off to get down to wherever the holes were so I could plug them up or sew them up.:facepalm:
Walking around and putting several drops in every ones canteens, to the point when we sweated, it rotted the cotton under our arm pits and made our uniforms turn white in places.:sad:
Hard on uniforms, real good on keeping down vomiting and diarrhea illnesses.

Come to think on it, should have bought some stock in Clorox, sure as hell we used it by tha gallon back in the day for about everything.:D

unionguy December 25, 2017 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by C2A1 (Post 4473141)
I just finished Bushfire plaque III. #I pretty much hits what we can have.
Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTYNwwPQH4k. The whirlwind, he talks about.

Hey, thanks for reading my book and I hope you enjoyed it! I wrote the Brushfire Plague trilogy because I felt that the pandemic scenario is often overlooked in prepper type fiction, but we are definitely overdue from a historic perspective.

yellowhand December 25, 2017 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by unionguy (Post 4517950)
Hey, thanks for reading my book and I hope you enjoyed it! I wrote the Brushfire Plague trilogy because I felt that the pandemic scenario is often overlooked in prepper type fiction, but we are definitely overdue from a historic perspective.

Your'e RG???

Wow!

Will pick them up, looks interesting.

Story December 30, 2017 02:52

Flu widespread in 36 states, CDC reports
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...rly/990271001/

medicmike December 30, 2017 07:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Story (Post 4519730)
Flu widespread in 36 states, CDC reports
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...rly/990271001/

Seeing a lot of it on the Oregon Coast right now. ERs and hospitals are overrun with both influenza A and B.

I picked something up this week, don't know if it was the flu or not, wife freaked thinking I might have meningitis. Fever that spiked at 104 f, one of the worst headaches I have ever had, joint pain everywhere and loss of equilibrium. 48 hrs later and I am starting to feel a bit more human. Odd thing was no respiratory symptoms with it though.

Wife is still pissed that I refused to go to the ER with it....

yellowhand December 30, 2017 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by medicmike (Post 4519752)
Seeing a lot of it on the Oregon Coast right now. ERs and hospitals are overrun with both influenza A and B.

I picked something up this week, don't know if it was the flu or not, wife freaked thinking I might have meningitis. Fever that spiked at 104 f, one of the worst headaches I have ever had, joint pain everywhere and loss of equilibrium. 48 hrs later and I am starting to feel a bit more human. Odd thing was no respiratory symptoms with it though.

Wife is still pissed that I refused to go to the ER with it....

Your wife is correct!!!!!

As my dearly departed mother would say,,,,, you boy are a prime example of a hardhead!:rofl:

medicmike December 30, 2017 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowhand (Post 4519893)
Your wife is correct!!!!!

As my dearly departed mother would say,,,,, you boy are a prime example of a hardhead!:rofl:

I am at that....medical folks make the worst patients....:rofl:

yellowhand December 30, 2017 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by medicmike (Post 4519903)
I am at that....medical folks make the worst patients....:rofl:

yes we do!:biggrin:

Broke down this week, and while being seen for a torn ligament, took tha flu shot!:facepalm:

Seems the type in our area is one covered by the vaccine, so, I got the jab!

And while at it, they hit me with more of the pneumonia vaccine stuff, which I thought was still covered by the prior shots of it, said they had something new, bla,bla, bla, oh well, knee felt fine when I left office, but both shoulders and my ass hurt for a few days!:facepalm:;):biggrin:

2barearms December 30, 2017 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by hueyville (Post 4474474)

This could possibly be the shortest repsonse you've ever posted, yet....

C2A1 January 03, 2018 11:02

For those inclined.
https://www.ecohealthalliance.org/wp...tober-2015.pdf

medicmike January 03, 2018 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by C2A1 (Post 4521625)

That looks interesting, bookmarked for later! :cheers:

yellowhand January 03, 2018 15:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by C2A1 (Post 4521625)

Good read, end of the day, we still be on our own though.