The FAL Files

The FAL Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   The FN Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Who knows the history of the Dutch FAL??? (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288267)

HHollow May 14, 2010 16:13

Question for the Dutch

Please excuse the temporary hijack of this thread. [I had waited until the activity subsided.] I wish to take advantage of the large number of Dutch members reading.

Do any of you Netherlands resident falfile members know of a source of AR10 handguards for the Portuguese variant? Specifically, I am looking for nice plastic handguards in good condition. I have many AR10 parts to trade that I believe are scarce.

Link to handguards photo

Please IM me if you have a lead or contact.

Thank you and please excuse the off-topic interruption.

Tim Dreas May 14, 2010 16:34

Re: Question for the Dutch

Quote:

Originally posted by HHollow
Please excuse the temporary hijack of this thread. [I had waited until the activity subsided.] I wish to take advantage of the large number of Dutch members reading.

Do any of you Netherlands resident falfile members know of a source of AR10 handguards for the Portuguese variant? Specifically, I am looking for nice plastic handguards in good condition. I have many AR10 parts to trade that I believe are scarce.

Link to handguards photo

There are quite a few deactivated AR10's available for sale in Europe without paperwork. Exporting and Importing firearm parts is where it gets tricky.

Tim Dreas May 14, 2010 16:42

When did the Netherlands start using the grenade launcher flash hider on the FAL? I believe NATO mandated the shorter American-type 22mm rifle grenade in late 1961. Before that time the longer European-type 22mm rifle grenade was popular in Europe such the Austrian Stg-58 which was never in NATO. I believe it was late 1961 or 1962 that NATO mandated an integrated rifle grenade launcher, a last round bolt hold open and a few other features. The L1A1 and the M14 were already designed and weren't changed. The G3 had it's flash hider shortened for the shorter rifle grenades around 1961-1962 but the stamped receiver design didn't allow for easy conversion to a last round bolt hold open device. I believe FN came out with the Belgian-type short flash hider in 1964.

Luik May 15, 2010 06:27

Re: Question for the Dutch

Quote:

Originally posted by HHollow

Link to handguards photo

Hello! It's a pitty that we don't live in the 70's and 80's. Here's a short history about the civilian owned AI/ Hembrug AR10's;

When it became clear that the Dutch army adopted the FAL instead of the AR10, AI (Artillerie Inrichtingen) tried to sell the AR10 to the world. Without any luck btw. Portugal bought a few K for it''s troops fighting in Africa.
A former worker from the AI, Mr. Nico Gouka, had a licence to sell guns to civilians. He was allowed to sell the leftover AR10's in the AI armoury. AI wanted the hugh amound of Fl100,- (Dutch Guilders, in those days approx. $30,-!) for every rifle he sold.
When all the rifles where sold, hey started to assamble rifles from parts. That's the reason that there are so many different versions of the AR10.
The AR10 became very popular around targetshooters here in Holland. Infact, it was so common, that nobody realy realized that they where shooting with collecteble rifles. Keep in mind that there where only 6000 AR10 produced!
Till 10 years ago, you could buy a good condition AR10 for under the Euro 1000,-. Unfortunatly, times did changed. Parts from the AR10 became very expensive, and hard to find. I think it's almost impossible to find a pair of good handguards here in Holland. I'll keep my eyes open for you, but to be honnest, I don't think you get lucky.

Greets,

Roger

Luik May 15, 2010 06:33

Quote:

Originally posted by Tim Dreas
When did the Netherlands start using the grenade launcher flash hider on the FAL? I believe NATO mandated the shorter American-type 22mm rifle grenade in late 1961. Before that time the longer European-type 22mm rifle grenade was popular in Europe such the Austrian Stg-58 which was never in NATO. I believe it was late 1961 or 1962 that NATO mandated an integrated rifle grenade launcher, a last round bolt hold open and a few other features. The L1A1 and the M14 were already designed and weren't changed. The G3 had it's flash hider shortened for the shorter rifle grenades around 1961-1962 but the stamped receiver design didn't allow for easy conversion to a last round bolt hold open device. I believe FN came out with the Belgian-type short flash hider in 1964.
Holland adopted the grenadelauncher/ flashhider from the start of it's adoption in the Dutch Army. That was in 1961. Only differance with the Belgium flashhider are the 9 grooves in the flashhider, that act's in the same way as the grooves in a car engine piston. Send me a PM. I can send you some pic's from the Dutch FAL with it's riflegrenade in use taken from a FAL manual from 1961.

Greets,

Roger

DakTo May 15, 2010 08:11

Military parts kits of the Portuguese AR10's were imported here in the US about the mid 80's and sold by Paragon for about $900. Parts kits were built up on Telco and H&H receivers and a few others.
The Portuguese contract model had the Telco receivers and the Sudanese and Guatemalan contract models had the H&H receivers. There were also later limited runs of other AR10's receivers which were used to build up assorted parts into rifles.
Parts and magazines were plentiful in the US between 1986 and 1991 which was the AR10 hayday and are now being horded by collectors. My Portuguese and Guatemalan AR10's had the heavy wood stocks and besides the red-brown plastic stocks, there were also aluminum stocks on the market. It is not uncommon to see stocks for AR10's painted in various colors to perhaps hide blemishes.