The FAL Files

The FAL Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Firearms Discussion (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   How many want a US made FAL mag? (Pics & videos added) (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285655)

Kyrottimus April 08, 2010 22:02

Quote:

Originally posted by moses
Curious what the consensous is on how you guys would like these to look?

More like a traditional FAL mag with a few added gripping enhancements or with more ribs/designs on the entire surface.

Keep traditional FAL mag geometry (but longer for 25round capacity) and maybe add some minor stippling or "texture" to them (at least on the lower half of the mag) for better grip?

MistWolf April 09, 2010 00:51

Quote:

Originally posted by W.E.G.
I dig double-stack banana clips.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d.../bannanas1.jpg

I think your double banana clips are very apeeling and if you decide to produce them it would be fruitful. I bet you'd sell a bunch of them

50 cal April 09, 2010 09:07

Keep them as close as possible to original. Maybe stipling on the bottom 1/4 of the mag for handling.

richbug April 09, 2010 09:59

I'd only consider them covered in reinforcing. They either need to be ribbed heavily, or be chunky like a Thermold. A plastic mag that looks like an OEM steel one won't keep its shape.

crcksht April 09, 2010 10:42

Quote:

Probably just offer Black to start and maybe do other colors later.
I'll know more after I talk with the injection moulders about color options.

I would love to make 25 rd and 30 rd mags too but the molds are really expensive and therefore I am only doing 20 rd mags to start. If all goes well and there is enough demand I would definitely like to do the 25 and 30 rd mags later.

A few things to consider:

Starting with a 25 or 30 round mag would set you apart from the crowd.

Choosing a company with the capability to both make the mold and run it can potentially save you lots of headaches. If you go the other route and have problems with the product, you risk either the mold maker or the injection molder trying to blame the other for the issues.

Some companies use a proprietary mold base and while that can save you money up front (no base to buy), it might cost you later if you choose to take your molds to another injection molder.

You would be wise to machine prototypes from the desired material(s) and test the mags extensively before you get too excited about molding.

If you decide to go for it, and are going with a two-cavity or larger mold, I can recommend a major company who could help get your piece price down.

Keep in mind two cavity and larger molds for something the size of a FAL mag will be very expensive. Even a single cavity mold for the mag body alone will cost thousands.

Good luck with the project.

moses April 09, 2010 17:03

I have a few thermolds and they really aren't that chunky compared to the original mags IMHO. I will be beefing up the mag where ever needed to make it strong enough. I would be adding ribs basically just for the reinforcing of the mag body, trust me I am looking into all the small details involved.

The injection molder I am dealing with right now does both the mold making and running the actual molds. I plan on owning the mold base too.
I am planning on having at least a 2 cavity mold.
I am well aware of how expensive the molds are! I think most people don't understand just the molds can be over $10,000 for a project like this.
The company I am dealing with has a super tough material already worked up that they use on a current customers product that has to take a beating all day long usually being hit with a hammer hundreds of time a day that should be perfect for the magazine body.

Thanks for the input!

Hebrew Battle Rifle April 10, 2010 21:40

I would be in for at least 10 if the price is in the $20 each range. I would prefer them to look as much like the surplus mags as possible.

moses April 11, 2010 00:08

I am getting about 65% of people wanting them to look like the original mags and 25% wanting some ribs and 10% wanting some space age looking mags.

I am really wanting to keep it close to the original style in appearance but add some ribs on the front and back for gripping.

I might have to add some ribs on the sides of the body to make the mags strong enough but it will be only what is necessary for structural strength.

I'll have to see what the molder says about what I need to make them strong enough.

glockfan April 11, 2010 03:47

I own thirty something PMAGs for my ARs and they are the absolute best. I own a decent number of Austrian and Israeli surplus mags, but I would definitely buy at least ten of these, and probably more like twenty or thirty since I am such a mag whore! This would definitely cut down on the overall weight because my steel mags are not light at all!

Something like this could really catch on because it seems as if more and more people I know in real life or see posting on other gun forums are starting to get into the FAL world after being familiar with the AR world (myself included about a year or so ago), and most of them know that PMAGs are top of the line for reliability, or they at least know how reliable Glock mags are when it comes to pistols. I think something like this could really blow up in a good way!

As far as round count, I agree with Kyrottimus. A 25 rounder would be my first pick, especially since I already have so many 20 rounders. Five more rounds of 308 would be awesome!

I just hope this new magazine process doesn't take away from your gunsmithing time too much, since I plan on sending you a FAL upper to cut and crown the barrel on within the next month or so! A PMAG type mag for the FAL sounds pretty awesome though.

NZ L1A1 Collector April 11, 2010 06:03

I would be interested in getting one of whatever is produced as an example to add to the collection :biggrin:

Kyrottimus April 12, 2010 01:02

here is our standard 20rd steel FAL mag:

http://www.entreprise.com/product_im...sed%2020rd.jpg

With a little improvisation using photoshop, here is what a 25rd polymer, ribbed and "water drop" - stippled FAL mag *MIGHT* look like:

http://i41.tinypic.com/2ltrcbc.jpg

moses April 12, 2010 15:50

I have been working on the final design for the 20 and 25 rd mags and think I have something I am happy with finally!

Just a little info for you guys, with my calculations I come up with the 25 rd mag being 1.375 (one and 3/8 inch) longer than a 20 rd mag.
Which is long but much better than the 30 rd mag as far as being gangly.

molotov April 12, 2010 17:50

Quote:

Which is long but much better than the 30 rd mag as far as being gangly.
Sounds good to me.

Will you be offering more than just black colored? Tan maybe? OD?

Hoot G April 12, 2010 18:12

Quote:

Just a little info for you guys, with my calculations I come up with the 25 rd mag being 1.375 (one and 3/8 inch) longer than a 20 rd mag.

That works for me!

J-Man April 12, 2010 18:40

A word of advice- make it curved not straight. Also, pay attention to the mag retention areas (front snout and rear catch) as I foresee those being problematic... along with the thinness of the walls.
Remember, while higher capacities sound nice in theory mags do tend to get rather long and heavy in 7.62x51.
With that being said, good luck and I'd buy a few to try regardless of capacity/design.

Kyrottimus April 12, 2010 20:18

Quote:

Originally posted by J-Man
A word of advice- make it curved not straight. Also, pay attention to the mag retention areas (front snout and rear catch) as I foresee those being problematic... along with the thinness of the walls.
Remember, while higher capacities sound nice in theory mags do tend to get rather long and heavy in 7.62x51.
With that being said, good luck and I'd buy a few to try regardless of capacity/design.

Well the straight 30rd mags from South Africa and Canada seem to work perfectly fine for me. I've tried both (as rare as they are) with zero problems. Just going off of them as an example.

FWIW.

John Culver April 12, 2010 21:31

25 rounders for me :)

ER April 12, 2010 21:34

Quote:

I am planning on having at least a 2 cavity mold. I am well aware of how expensive the molds are! I think most people don't understand just the molds can be over $10,000 for a project like this.
Having been in the plastics equipment biz for 21yrs, I`d say if you can get into a 2-cavity body mold, and follower mold for under $10-15k, you`ve found a hungry injector! What tonnage press is he going to use?

I`d take a couple 20rd mags.....

MistWolf April 13, 2010 00:28

Maybe if you make them from a neutral color, we could dye them what ever hue we want

Cozmacozmy April 13, 2010 01:03

Tag for updates...

preston1026 April 13, 2010 09:47

I would be in for 5 right off the bat and at least another 5 within 2-3 months.

I would really like a ribbed 25 round translucent polymer body mag like the Lancer L5 ar mags personally.

Thanks again for taking the initiative.

moses April 13, 2010 17:21

I hope to be able to have some OD green and maybe some Tan mags too on the first run but I have to see the cost difference in adding the color and if they can do is cost efficiently on just a short run as I am sure Black will be the biggest seller.
The mags are gonna be the straight design, they work fine straight in the original 30 rounders so 25 rders should work fine too.

I am well aware of the beak, rear locking tab and thickness of the wall issues and will do what is necessary to make a working durable mag, and like I wrote earlier I plan on having a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser.

ER, I am also aware of the mold costs and I have a ballpark quote in that range so hopefully when the final design is approved it will still be in that price range. I am not a wealthy man by any means and $15,000 is a lot of money for me!
I think if I do it right and make a high quality polymer mag it will pay off in the long run. The company I will probably be using has machines from 75 tons all the way up to 263 tons.

The design of the mag will have some ribs and also retain some of the classic FAL mag looks incorporated in it. I think most people will like the looks of it.

This is a very long, time consuming and detailed process, but I expected it to be.

moses April 16, 2010 13:52

Probably won't be any translucent body mags because of durability issues.

English Mike April 16, 2010 15:53

I wonder if Kel-Tec might be interested in supplying them as OEM for the RFB.

molotov April 17, 2010 09:34

Quote:

I hope to be able to have some OD green and maybe some Tan mags too on the first run but I have to see the cost difference in adding the color and if they can do is cost efficiently on just a short run as I am sure Black will be the biggest seller.
I'm in for a couple of tan and OD green if it works out.

moses April 17, 2010 14:54

What is the Kel-tec RFB?

Hoot G April 17, 2010 15:04

Rifle, Forward-ejecting Bullpup

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/images/rfb/pic1.jpg

ThePitbullofLove April 18, 2010 12:21

I'd take at least 5.

Good to see ya last night, Johnny!

moses April 18, 2010 19:49

Good job on singing Kiss!
And your girlfriend has an awesome voice!

I am meeting with the injection molding company again one day this week!

ThePitbullofLove April 19, 2010 15:06

Quote:

Good job on singing Kiss!
And your girlfriend has an awesome voice!

I am meeting with the injection molding company again one day this week!

She's pretty good :bow:

We're anxiously awaiting news on these mags!

parallaxbill April 20, 2010 14:19

Johnny, put me down as favoring the 25 round versions. I don't care about the color but OD would look good on my Izzy HB. ;)

CeeKay April 20, 2010 16:52

I'd take a pair of 25's... One in black, one in OD, if available.

But I'd have to see the design first...

[Edit] Actually, if the price is gonna be around 25 bucks a unit, I'd take two pair, black/od...

My thoughts on the design aspect:

I'd love to see them more steel mag-looking, but a grippy surface isn't bad either, if it's done right... That waffle crap that Kel-Tec does is gross. But, the mock-up with water stipple on Pg 2 looks great!

My 2 cents... Does that mean I get a development discount and only have to pay $24.98? ;)

- CK

jimmo April 20, 2010 20:12

I'm In!!!!

I'd like to submit my offer for five of the 25rd mags in Black.
I hope your efforts are a sucess... :bow:

moses April 23, 2010 16:18

Thanks I hope they are a success too! LOL!

one hand clapping April 24, 2010 10:44

Greetings and many thanks Mosses,
I'm in for ten 20 rnders in basic black /strapless
and five 25 rnders in od green with the v-neck

Good Luck and bless ya for goin thru the effort to fill a need in the FAL/L1A1 world

I believe you will be rewarded for your toil and treasure investment.
One Hand Clapping

neonnoodle April 25, 2010 00:29

I'm in for a few, maybe more, if your finished product works as well as P-Mags.

I got a couple of questions about production? In my former life I worked in an industry that was using carbon fiber in a thermoset format, which was basically the two halves molded together to make the product versus a thermomold process, which was poured in the mold to create the final product. I know there was "Zytel"(old school) and then a few other "mixes" which were developed to give the strength where it was needed and keep the overall weight down.

I'm guessing todays technology has new materials and processes that are improvements to what I saw in the mid 90's.

My hats off to you on this endeavor and hope we can get a great finished product.

Clint50 April 25, 2010 01:54

I'm definitely interested in the 20 or 25 rounders,black or green.

Czechsix April 25, 2010 02:34

Hey Moses - one thought came to mind while I was on a long drive: what's the weight on these going to be? Similiar to the hiduminium's?

rcnpthfndr April 25, 2010 14:48

i said 5 initially, round count doesnt really matter to me nor the color. If they are like the pmags i have i would get more.

molotov April 25, 2010 15:38

Guess these would count as three US parts then.

Correct?