The FAL Files

The FAL Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Firearms Discussion (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   How many want a US made FAL mag? (Pics & videos added) (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285655)

VXTip January 21, 2011 01:19

its great to see this project coming along, i'd definitely like to jump on a few to start out, a good US made mag would do wonders for 922r :D

Spectre001 January 21, 2011 08:16

I'm in for five. Great looking product.

Dopavash January 21, 2011 12:50

That's pretty spiff there mosey. Getting exciting now, eh!

1gewehr January 21, 2011 15:24

I'll spring for five as well. Would REALLY like to see some 25's or 30's, too!!!:D

BAS January 21, 2011 18:05

I would definitely be in for a bunch, if they could be had on this side of the pond that is.........

Bjørn

Spectre001 January 22, 2011 00:12

Any chance you are still planning to make blocks(etc) to limit capacity for those us in "mag capacity restricted areas"?

CeeKay January 23, 2011 16:33

Quote:

Originally posted by moses
Function is the number 1 concern though!!!!!!!
As long as it's not tacky, functionality is aesthetic. :)

- CK

Powerslave January 23, 2011 20:57

Moses,

Since you have come up with this idea, and have brought it into being........

I'm wondering what other ideas do you have in your head for the FAL world?:biggrin:

I've been wanting to ask you this ever since I received the hurricane. Your definitely going to be on the map when these mags get out!!

Here's to you!!:whiskey:

TEMPLARKNIGHT January 23, 2011 21:00

How about a replacement side folding buttstock for the para that's solid with an adjustable cheek-riser?:)

karambay January 24, 2011 02:36

Sweet pics on the molds, this is awesome stuff, exciting to see it moving forward, unlike some other folks well touted, but fruitless adventures!! Great stuff moses, keep up the great work, wallet's ready for ya :-)

fastprofessor January 26, 2011 23:44

Excellent job, Johnny. I am looking forward to buying a few of these when they hit the market.

Clark January 29, 2011 04:14

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/x...neThermold.jpg
http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/x...eThermoldb.jpg

I have had one US made FAL 20 round magazine for 15 years.

I have been looking for more for 15 years.

glockfan January 30, 2011 03:29

They look really cool! I can't wait to buy a handful! I bet they are MUCH lighter than the old steel mags, too. I have gotten to where I don't even use non-Pmags for my ARs because they are just so much lighter!

This will definitely be the way to go!

John Culver January 31, 2011 04:15

Quote:

Originally posted by glockfan
They look really cool! I can't wait to buy a handful! I bet they are MUCH lighter than the old steel mags, too. I have gotten to where I don't even use non-Pmags for my ARs because they are just so much lighter!

This will definitely be the way to go!

Maybe you need to workout more LOL :D

reapur February 02, 2011 23:49

Clark, not sure if you're kidding or not, but I bought those very same mags from cheaper than dirt, with the Made in USA on them.
I filed them down to use with my RFB but they are the metric FAL version.

We're all waiting for moses to get us our RFB mags :aug: :beer:

Shinerguy February 03, 2011 00:37

I am down for getting at least 4-6 of these beautiful mags. Really would like 2 30 rounders. Great looking product. First run being about 2000, how many do you think are "pre-sold"? Gotta make sure I don't miss the boat with these.

moses February 03, 2011 02:46

Talked to the molding company today and they said we should be shooting the parts sometime next week!!!
Said they were finishing up on some final fitting and installing the hydraulics of the molds.

According to the poll I have 1793 pre sold.
Take that for what it's worth?

30 rounders would be cool and after I get the 20 rd mags going I plan on doing a 25 rd mag. After that I may do some 30's
I'll just have to see how things go before I cross that bridge.

glockfan February 04, 2011 00:45

John Culver,

Working out is fun, but I am 6ft2 and 260 and by accounts from those who know me I am pretty strong even for that size, so lack of strength isn't a problem :) In all seriousness, if a rifle, pistol, mag, etc can do just as good of a job but is lighter, it is better in my opinion. In addition to being US made, I think the best selling point for the moses mag is how lightweight it will be. I know the Pmags have become very popular in iraq/afghanistan, and that the british just bought up a large batch of them for their troops.

As rugged and reliable as steel is, polymer is better if done right.

John Culver February 04, 2011 02:16

Quote:

Originally posted by glockfan
John Culver,

Working out is fun, but I am 6ft2 and 260 and by accounts from those who know me I am pretty strong even for that size, so lack of strength isn't a problem :) In all seriousness, if a rifle, pistol, mag, etc can do just as good of a job but is lighter, it is better in my opinion. In addition to being US made, I think the best selling point for the moses mag is how lightweight it will be. I know the Pmags have become very popular in iraq/afghanistan, and that the british just bought up a large batch of them for their troops.

As rugged and reliable as steel is, polymer is better if done right.

My comment was purely sarcastic, which apparently didnt make it across the interwebs.

Besides, lighter mags means MORE AMMO! :D

glockfan February 04, 2011 02:51

Sorry for spoiling the fun! I should have known you were pulling my leg :) Next time someone questions my strength I will immediately do several sets of bench press and curls until my arms can no longer move.

You are right, how is more ammo EVER a bad thing?

moses February 04, 2011 16:37

John I knew you were being sarcastic if that makes you feel better!! :D

And to answer powerslaves question I have a few cool ideas I am thinking about, one is for a polymer drum for the FAL that I am gonna be working on with my cad guy!! Probably be a 75 rd drum!!!

The 25 rd mag is next though!!!!

glockfan February 04, 2011 19:12

Will it be possible to order these online when they are ready to go? I bet these will sell well from word of mouth. On other gun forums I read people are asking where to buy FAL mags and complaining about how expensive they have become, so a new polymer one sure could work.

moses February 04, 2011 20:14

I am planning on having a website in the near future that will allow people to order online.

Cozmacozmy February 05, 2011 03:03

A 75rd drum!!!! I'm gonna have to work on those arm curls:eek:

moses February 05, 2011 16:41

Yes you are or get a bipod!!!!!:D

glockfan February 05, 2011 17:50

Sounds great! Not just 20 round mags, but the other options like 25, 30, and even the 75 round drum!

I will help spread the word on other forums when they are released. That is, if someone doesn't beat me to it! There are surprisingly more fal people than you would think on other gun sites.

starbuck February 05, 2011 21:20

I already have more mags than I need but I still want one. very cool.

richbug February 06, 2011 17:23

Quote:

According to the poll I have 1793 pre sold.
Take that for what it's worth?

I think that includes a fair number of folks who said they only wanted a 25 round mag.

Patiently waiting on 25s...

woggie February 07, 2011 13:05

Moses,

It sounds like things are really starting to move and you will hopefully have some product in the near future. What are your plans on ordering/paying and such? If we "pre ordered" by responding to this thread are we set or will you just have everyone hit your website once it is active and it is first come first serve? I know I am really excited to get my hands on your mags. I just hope I get my rifle back BEFORE your mags are ready!

Thanks!

moses February 10, 2011 14:22

Not sure yet on the credit card thing, when it'll be up and operational.

Just got a call from the molders and they have some real samples made from the molds, I am going now to check them out!!!!

DYNOMIKE February 10, 2011 14:38

SWEET!!
That's great news.. Will check back later for the update..

W.E.G. February 10, 2011 15:09

Quote:

Just got a call from the molders and they have some real samples made from the molds, I am going now to check them out!!!!
Johnny, what are you using for springs?

G1user February 10, 2011 16:42

Quote:

Originally posted by W.E.G.

Johnny, what are you using for springs?

And can you describe the bolt hold open interface (nub on the follower that "lifts" the little pin)?

Are we talking a steel follower here? Or polymer?

DJ60 February 10, 2011 17:47

Very cool! If these are as good as Pmags, you're going to sell a lot of these. Looking forward to the larger versions, too.

moses February 11, 2011 01:51

Mags looks great!!! The mold maker did an excellent job!!!!

There are a few minor adjustments that will need to be made to the mold but overall I am extremely pleased with how they came out.

I am using brand new old stock original FAL mag springs.
When I run out of those I have a major national spring maker lined up to make the springs, they will be made just like the original spring.
They will also be making the spring for the 25 rd mag.

The bolt hold open tab is made from the same tough as nails polymer the mag body is made out of, I did change the design on the back of the follower so that there is the utmost of engagement surface for the bolt hold open pin to engage. There should not be any problems like with some of the original mags or the thermold mags where the bolt hold open pin would ride over the follower and jam the mag in the gun.

From my initial testing of inserting, taking out and reinserting the mag hundreds of times and thus engaging the bolt hold open tab there is no significant wear.
Also the front beak and rear locking tab appear to have no significant wear.
(The original Russian Saiga 12 mags have polymer locking tabs on the front and rear also and they hold up fine that is what influenced my decision to go with the same on the moses mag) The new SCAR heavy mags also have a polymer follower.

G1user February 11, 2011 04:06

Quote:

...There should not be any problems like with some of the original mags or the thermold mags where the bolt hold open pin would ride over the follower and jam the mag in the gun.

All good.
I was gonna say may as well just leave out the bolt hold open interface on the mag altogether. One less thing to mess with / keep clean.

glockfan February 11, 2011 05:54

This is getting exciting! We all should have known Moses would deliver where DSA let us all down!

one hand clapping February 11, 2011 08:43

Very good news, I'm very happy for you and the project

OHC

LaConservationist February 11, 2011 09:18

Quote:

Originally posted by starbuck
I already have more mags than I need but I still want one. very cool.
Well damn......I never knew this situation could exsist! ;)

Still hoping for mine real soon moses! Great job thus far!! Congrats on the progress! These will make EXCELLENT para mags!!

LC

Dopavash February 11, 2011 12:51

Is he trying to kill us with suspense by not taking pictures of the mags he just tried out? :tongue: