The FAL Files

The FAL Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Firearms Discussion (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   WTK: Value of GI RIA 1911 WWI Holster... (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281631)

beerme February 03, 2010 21:59

WTK: Value of GI RIA 1911 WWI Holster...

Hello all.

I inherited a Rock Island Arsenal 1911 holster from my Dad and was just wondering what the value of such an item might be..

It is stamped: Rock Island Arsenal
T.C.C.
It appears to be in excellent shape. No bad gouges, no repairs, but the brass rivets got some green slime around them.

I do know that my Dad got it from his uncle Harry, who served in WWII.

It also has a canvas type web belt with a brass latch type buckle and brass adjustment hooks, rivets etc.
Also the belt has the name NEWMAN written on it in black.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...holster002.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...holster001.jpg

Thanks for y'all's input!

Cheers!
:beer: me

ps. I have the right half of a WW1 BAR mag belt dated 1918 in like new condition..any idea as to value? Thx...:biggrin:

yovinny February 03, 2010 22:21

Looks like a nice 1916 Dismounted.
Is it still brown, or has it been died black ?

beerme February 04, 2010 08:02

Thanks yovinny.

It is dark brown in color and does not appear to have ever
Been dyed.
Probly been oiled a lot though.

mojo_matic February 04, 2010 11:07

$75-$100.

Lockbar February 04, 2010 14:13

That holster is in great shape. MojoMatic is completely correct. $75 - $100.

Brian in MN February 05, 2010 18:45

Do not oil it. Neutral shoe polish. You should be able to shine it like a pair of shoes.

yovinny February 11, 2010 18:36

Forgot about this post, sorry I havent gotten back sooner.

What you have there seems to be an original WWI RIA model 1916 dismounted.
TCC would be the inspectors stamp, though it's more likely TDC.
Lots of them were died black and lots of sub-contractors made them later for WWII.
Yours appears to be original and very nice.

Forget the $75-100 the later ones bring, I'd expect more like $275.

Cheers, YV

S. Fisher February 12, 2010 03:48

Nice piece of history you got there. :whiskey:

beerme February 12, 2010 21:23

Yovinny:
Thank you for the info! I sure appreciate the input. This holster is in awesome shape compared to the ones I have located on the net.

I inspected the markings again and the 'T.C.C.' Stamp is indeed 'T.C.C.'. What are your thoughts on that?
TIA

It also has what appears to be 'E H' stamped on the flap below the brass 'button'. Owners initials?

p.s.... the pistol in the holster is a 1943 Remington Rand. (also given to me from my Pop)...

Cheers!
:beer: me

yovinny February 12, 2010 21:54

Checked Meadows book and it was my bad, inspector mark TCC is good to go.

Any other stampings, like 'EH' on the cover flap, would have been added later and detract from the condition and value.

They made almost a million model 1916's holsters for WWI, so many that they (rock island) did'nt have a need to begin limited production again untill 1935.

Some of the WWI production was also by sub-contractors, but nothing like the quanity of contractors and the 3 plus million 1916 pattern holsters made for WWII.

WWII or later examples will have blackened non-ferrius fittings, like rivets and hangers, instead of the brass used on originals.

Cheers, YV

mojo_matic February 13, 2010 04:48

Quote:

Originally posted by yovinny

Forget the $75-100 the later ones bring, I'd expect more like $275.

In my recent experience, within the past two years, a similar example holster, same make and date, will fetch $75-100... even taking into account a couple ebay bidding wars. As you have noted, the RIA holsters from this period are relatively common (for WWI examples). Later dates and manufacturers from WWI are less common. I spent a lot of time and research to find the proper holsters to outfit my collection.

Agreed, that WWII 1916 pattern holsters are VERY common, even unissued.

If you know someone will to pay $275 for a nice 1916 RIA holster, let me know!

yovinny February 13, 2010 22:20

Quote:

Originally posted by mojo_matic

In my recent experience, within the past two years, a similar example holster, same make and date, will fetch $75-100... even taking into account a couple ebay bidding wars. As you have noted, the RIA holsters from this period are relatively common (for WWI examples). Later dates and manufacturers from WWI are less common. I spent a lot of time and research to find the proper holsters to outfit my collection.

Agreed, that WWII 1916 pattern holsters are VERY common, even unissued.

If you know someone will to pay $275 for a nice 1916 RIA holster, let me know!

I'm surprised and dissapointed to hear that, I would have thought these would be holding their value better.
Even in a "recession", as their not getting any younger or easier to find.
To tell you the truth, I'm quoting price from memory, as I havent been very active on the military collectables scene for about 10 years or so.
That holster would have brought $275. 10-15 years ago.

Cheers, YV

mojo_matic February 14, 2010 15:07

Quote:

Originally posted by yovinny

I'm surprised and dissapointed to hear that, I would have thought these would be holding their value better.
Even in a "recession", as their not getting any younger or easier to find.
To tell you the truth, I'm quoting price from memory, as I havent been very active on the military collectables scene for about 10 years or so.
That holster would have brought $275. 10-15 years ago.

Cheers, YV

I agree. I would not take $150 for any of the holsters that I picked up. I did go through a couple duds (dried out and/or oversaturated with oil to hide the damage) before landing examples worth keeping... photos look nice, but it is difficult to judge leather condition unless the item is in your hands. If I stumbled upon a nice vintage holster, and had the opportunity to inspect before purchase, I would surely have paid a premium.

Possible reason for lack of popularity is the suggestion that it is absolutely taboo to house a vintage 1911 in the holster? None of my examples are prestine, but they are original and do take an occassional trip to the range... in their correct WWI holster. One 1911 is stored in the respective holster, a 1914 Springfield, for it has little finish left and that is how my G-father presented it to my.... it hung for decades in the garage, and each my my uncles and father put it through it's paces. She'll be alright, hanging in a climate controlled safe. :) Anyway, I guess that if any of my examples were 95% and never shot, let alone fondled, a nice matching holster would be less of a priority.