The FAL Files

The FAL Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   Competitive Shooting (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   3G4V Run N Gun, Presented by Rockcastle: Park City, KY March 18, 2017 (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402542)

kotengu July 01, 2016 16:48

3G4V Run N Gun, Presented by Rockcastle: Park City, KY March 18, 2017

Mark your calendars - this is finally happening!!!

The course will be 3.4 miles long and there will be 5 shooting stages. It will be hard, you will get muddy, wet, dirty, sore, and tired - and you will be talking about how awesome it was for years! This will be limited to 50 shooters the first year, so mark your calendar and watch for an online registration notice (I will post here, among other places), as it will sell out quickly. It will be held at https://sites.google.com/site/rockcastlelive/. Many more details to come -

If you wished you could have gone with us to the Oklahoma Run N Gun but it was just too far - now is your chance. Get off the couch and test your self and your gear in "less than ideal" conditions - don't be content shooting from a bench or sitting in your mom's basement being an "internet commando". GET OUT AND LIVE IT!!!

If you commit to this match and put in some training before-hand you will be ahead of 95% of the population out there. If you finish this match, even if you have to walk/crawl/drag yourself through the entire course - you have WON! Do not wait until you are "ready" - use this as motivation to get up and start now.

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/54464900.jpg

Nuttz July 01, 2016 16:58

Already replied to the RO email! Count me and my Nuttz in for this most defiantly!

Story July 02, 2016 16:53

For those of us stuck on the couch that particular weekend, can you post some sample Task Condition Standards without revealing any surprises?

http://i.imgur.com/nouE87q.png

kotengu July 02, 2016 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Story (Post 4258574)
For those of us stuck on the couch that particular weekend, can you post some sample Task Condition Standards without revealing any surprises?

We are not nearly that formal! The only "standard" we have is that you need to show up and not quit. You'll need to be able to walk, crawl, or run (or some combination of the three) for 3.4 miles over semi-rough terrain, while carrying your rifle, pistol, all your ammo, and anything else you might need along the course. There will be some obstacles along the way. Walking the entire route is perfectly acceptable if that is your current level of fitness - you will not be alone walking.

You'll need to be able to shoot a rifle from both shoulders from both standing and kneeling. You'll need to engage multiple targets from multiple positions with both a rifle and a pistol. You'll need to know how to operate an AK-pattern rifle (provided for you, along with ammo). You'll need to be able to shoot a rifle from standing, sitting, kneeling, and prone, and know your drops from 0-300 yards. You'll need to be able to use a pistol and a flashlight at the same time, and find and engage targets in an unfamiliar place in total darkness. You'll need to be able to make a fairly easy pistol shot under tremendous pressure. It would probably be a good idea to practice shooting a rifle from awkward positions (like a VTAC board).

And of course you'll need to be able to reload and clear malfunctions on both rifle and pistol.

The equipment rules are simple: if you want to carry it 3.4 miles, you can use it.

kotengu July 02, 2016 18:09

I should also make clear, this match is much more about FINISHING than it is about "winning". Yes, it is a race, and we'll have awards for the top three shooters. 50% of the overall score will be based off your run time, and 50% will be based off the time it takes you to complete the shooting tasks.

We will also have a "Mule" award for the person who carries the most weight (as a percentage of their bodyweight) and FINISHES the course - no matter how long it takes them. In Oklahoma there have been several folks who informally did this for bragging rights, so I decided to formalize it a little bit.

But just FINISHING this course will be a huge badge of honor and source of pride. There will be NO "participation trophies", and there will be some folks who do not finish. There will be no doubt when this is complete that you have accomplished something special.

rowjimmy July 03, 2016 18:41

I'm on the fence but I'll let you know. If you chose the week prior, I would be on Spring Break and time would not be an issue. :wink:

kotengu July 03, 2016 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by rowjimmy (Post 4259005)
I'm on the fence but I'll let you know. If you chose the week prior, I would be on Spring Break and time would not be an issue. :wink:

Sorry mang - I just take the dates available. You should make it a "field trip" for your students and show them both Mammoth Cave (the longest cave system in the known world) and the Corvette Museum (where a sinkhole swallowed up a bunch of priceless Corvettes) - all within 20 minutes or so of the range and lodge. I'm sure physics students can get something out of those!

jcornss July 04, 2016 14:54

Lol, you're killing me Matt.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/u...pse8pp78kk.png

6 and a half hour drive for me. Closer that OK though.

Bryan 45 July 04, 2016 18:18

Who shared the route map with jcornss?

Ha ha

kotengu July 04, 2016 22:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan 45 (Post 4259347)
Who shared the route map with jcornss?

Ha ha

:rofl:

Come on jcornss - I cut 10 hours off your drive time, and that's STILL not good enough?!? 6 1/2 hours is barely enough time for your legs to lock up on the drive home, and a small price to pay for the awesomeness of this match!

Drtrumpet July 06, 2016 14:09

Damn this sounds like tons of fun.

kotengu July 06, 2016 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drtrumpet (Post 4260204)
Damn this sounds like tons of fun.

https://media.licdn.com/mpr/mpr/shri...88/3444b71.jpg

You know you want to... :D

JerrySexton July 06, 2016 20:17

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread and try to get in before it sells out.

kotengu July 07, 2016 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySexton (Post 4260364)
I'm going to keep an eye on this thread and try to get in before it sells out.

Good man - it's almost in your back yard!

Ted Kennedy July 08, 2016 12:05

There's gonna be three or four fellows from Oklahoma and Texas headed up there....I don't suppose y'all will have any BBQ or Mexican food?

kotengu July 08, 2016 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted Kennedy (Post 4261220)
There's gonna be three or four fellows from Oklahoma and Texas headed up there....I don't suppose y'all will have any BBQ or Mexican food?

Outstanding! So far we have Oklahoma, Texas, Virginia, Georgia, Tennessee, and Kentucky covered, with "maybe"s from Pennsylvania and North Carolina. And all from one vague post on a fairly obscure 50-year old rifle forum. :wink:

There's no TX BBQ or Mexican food from Kentucky, but they do have great bourbon and their own pretty good BBQ. I would not recommend eating the jelly.

I could use some help thinking up obstacles we could add to the course. So far we have a mud pit that I'm sorely tempted to string barbed wire over and make everyone crawl through (assuming no sub-freezing temps), tubes to crawl up, ammo cans to carry, and an 8' high contraption to climb over. What other "military-type" obstacles can we add that will be difficult but eventually do-able for everyone and fairly cheap to build?

RJCapt July 08, 2016 20:57

Will there be an official sign up/registration form? I'm in and trying to talk one of my buddies into it

Pete

kotengu July 08, 2016 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJCapt (Post 4261499)
Will there be an official sign up/registration form? I'm in and trying to talk one of my buddies into it

Pete

And we just added Ohio!

A link to registration will be posted in this thread, among other places. I'm going to wait until we're a little closer to match time to open registration and give all the details. I just wanted to get the date and location out here because several folks have asked about it and calendars fill up quickly.

kotengu July 09, 2016 09:17

Hmm - I was thinking "no monkey bars - that's not "military" at all and more of a mud run thing, and it'd be too hard to traverse with a rifle and gear on anyway"

http://dmn.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/w...ourse-WWII.jpg

Silly me. Always look to the Greatest Generation to show you how it should be done. I'm not sure that we have the resources to build monkey bars though. Maybe a rope swing over a pit of alligators?

Nuttz July 09, 2016 09:41

Naw... do something more realistic...

http://popularmilitary.com/wp-conten...06/broom-5.jpg

Nuttz July 09, 2016 09:46

...or

http://www.stripes.com/polopoly_fs/1.../171140513.jpg

kotengu July 09, 2016 10:47

Genius! And maybe pick up cigarette butts too - ;)

Nuttz July 09, 2016 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotengu (Post 4261727)
Genius! And maybe pick up cigarette butts too - ;)

:biggrin:

jcornss July 10, 2016 01:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotengu (Post 4259497)
:rofl:

Come on jcornss - I cut 10 hours off your drive time, and that's STILL not good enough?!? 6 1/2 hours is barely enough time for your legs to lock up on the drive home, and a small price to pay for the awesomeness of this match!

I'm in unless something drastic happens between now and then. Gotta get my ass back in shape.

jcornss July 10, 2016 01:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuttz (Post 4261696)

Shouldn't the tool for this task be a toothbrush?

kotengu July 10, 2016 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcornss (Post 4262106)
I'm in unless something drastic happens between now and then. Gotta get my ass back in shape.

Forget your ass - your ass will take care of itself. Work on your legs, heart and lungs. :D

Glad you're coming!

jcornss July 10, 2016 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotengu (Post 4262643)
Forget your ass - your ass will take care of itself. Work on your legs, heart and lungs. :D

Glad you're coming!

Lmao, noted!

Bryan 45 July 11, 2016 07:09

Anyone got a line on a cargo net?

kotengu July 11, 2016 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan 45 (Post 4262836)
Anyone got a line on a cargo net?

I don't - but Nuttz is a Marine. They issue cargo nets in boot camp, right Nuttz???

Nuttz July 11, 2016 22:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotengu (Post 4263227)
I don't - but Nuttz is a Marine. They issue cargo nets in boot camp, right Nuttz???

:facepalm:

On serious note, they are not cheap!

http://www.morleyathletic.com/cargo-...mbing.nets.htm

http://jammarnets.com/category-obsta...limbing-nets-9

RJCapt July 13, 2016 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotengu (Post 4261686)
Hmm - I was thinking "no monkey bars - that's not "military" at all and more of a mud run thing, and it'd be too hard to traverse with a rifle and gear on anyway"

Silly me. Always look to the Greatest Generation to show you how it should be done. I'm not sure that we have the resources to build monkey bars though. Maybe a rope swing over a pit of alligators?

Not sure if this helps, but years ago I hung an old bent up aluminum ladder I got for cheap from the rafters of my garage and used that. As I got more proficient I would increase the angle.

Pete.

kotengu July 13, 2016 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJCapt (Post 4264180)
Not sure if this helps, but years ago I hung an old bent up aluminum ladder I got for cheap from the rafters of my garage and used that. As I got more proficient I would increase the angle.

Pete.

Good tip, thanks - I love the "monkey bars on an angle" thing.

I'm not so much worried about ME getting across, but more about EVERYONE eventually getting across. And building the dang thing strong enough to hold a 400lb freak of nature, and tall enough to keep brunop's feet off the ground. On a budget of $0.

I could get by with the kiddie monkey bars, myself. :D

But fear not - Bryan 45 just found another obstacle we can use, which will add 0.1 miles to the course to reach it. :devil:

kotengu July 27, 2016 21:13

Facebook Event page is now open: https://www.facebook.com/events/1776...69671183092142

Sorry to you non-Facebookers, but it's free and super simple to use.

JerrySexton July 27, 2016 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotengu (Post 4270832)
Facebook Event page is now open: https://www.facebook.com/events/1776...69671183092142

Sorry to you non-Facebookers, but it's free and super simple to use.

So Facebook is the only way to sign up or this just a Facebook page with course info? I'm one of the non-Facebookers.

kotengu July 27, 2016 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySexton (Post 4270839)
So Facebook is the only way to sign up or this just a Facebook page with course info? I'm one of the non-Facebookers.

Sorry mang - Facebook is just the easiest way for me to reach the most people at the lowest (zero) cost. I know there are several folks that don't Facebook, and I hope to have a better answer for that next year if this goes well.

Registration will be through Practiscore, and will not open until we're a little closer to the match date. Facebook is just for gathering attention, spreading details, and getting interested folks on a notification list so they'll see all the details as soon as they are released.

I'll also post here, but the FB guys might get the info sooner than you unless you just watch this thread all the time from now until March.

Louis July 28, 2016 07:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuttz (Post 4261693)
Naw... do something more realistic...

http://popularmilitary.com/wp-conten...06/broom-5.jpg

Ha! Burn detail got photo bombed by one of those damn penis mosques.

Louis July 28, 2016 07:44

I am nursing up a broken bone in my foot but I'm already walking so I feel pretty good about March.

Count me in!

Ted Kennedy July 28, 2016 11:42

This is sounding better all the time......

Invictus77 August 07, 2016 11:59

I will probably regret this but it is too close to home to pas up....I'm in :fal:

kotengu August 07, 2016 17:00

Outstanding, Louis and Invictus!

We may have to do the "burn detail" stage as a sidematch or something. We could probably arrange to have another side match mopping the floors of the lodge too -

Louis August 07, 2016 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotengu (Post 4276139)
Outstanding, Louis and Invictus!

We may have to do the "burn detail" stage as a sidematch or something. We could probably arrange to have another side match mopping the floors of the lodge too -

I burned a few barrels of shit but I never mopped many floors. This could get interesting. I do however have mad skills with the old buffer!

stimpsonjcat August 07, 2016 22:02

It is nice to see that other match threads go into the sh_tter as easily as mine do.

brunop August 08, 2016 01:10

Yeah - you're special, but just not in that way.

:]

kotengu August 10, 2016 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat (Post 4276333)
It is nice to see that other match threads go into the sh_tter as easily as mine do.

Would you expect any different here???

We just got our first sponsor today: 300 Below (http://www.300below.com/). I'm sending them another FAL to process, and happened to think to ask "do you ever sponsor competitions?"

Next thing I know, they have committed to sending multiple certificates for a free cryo rifle treatment, and some other stuff. If anyone talks to them, be sure to thank them for their generosity and support!

Invictus77 August 10, 2016 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louis (Post 4276155)
I do however have mad skills with the old buffer!

For a few months in the winter time of both my junior & senior years of high school (between farming seasons), I worked for a neighbor who had a janitor business cleaning offices at night. I might need a little warm-up time but I was pretty badazz myself on the old buffer amigo. :wink:

kotengu August 18, 2016 06:53

Cross-posted everywhere just to keep everyone in the loop:

I will need 17 total Range Officers to run this match well, and I only have 6 picked out so far. So I'm putting out an open call for volunteers. The biggest benefit to being an RO is you can guarantee you get a slot in the match. The ONLY WAY I can promise you'll get to shoot this match, is if you agree to work for me. Please look at all the requirements and put some thought into this before you volunteer - this will be a hard match to work and a lot will be asked of you.

First, the bad:

RO's will shoot on Friday, so you need to be there early enough on Friday to shoot as well as run a stage or two for your fellow RO's.

You will be stuck on a single stage ALL DAY LONG on Saturday. Lunch will be provided and delivered to you, but bring anything else you might need to last the day in the field (chairs, extra food, binoculars to spot rifle hits, LOTS OF WATER, sunscreen, hat, jacket, etc.). There will be three RO's on each stage, so one of you can rotate off for a short period if you need a bathroom break or something - but keep it a SHORT break as the others will be depending on you.

You will have to tell people "NO" and/or "Sorry, I can't help you" frequently.

You will need to keep competitors doing NOTHING during their wait time but standing there waiting, exactly as they ran up - they cannot take off or rearrange gear, sit in the shade, drink water or eat, meditate, etc.

You will have to keep a close eye on tired people, and may have to physically put hands on them if their muzzle is moving toward an unsafe direction.

Verifying everyone's rifle is unloaded as they arrive and leave your stage is YOUR responsibility, and is of the utmost importance. You may have to DQ a competitor if they show up to your stage with a round in their chamber. If a competitor shows up to the stage AFTER yours with a round in their chamber - I'm going to DQ that competitor, and then immediately call YOU to find out how you let a shooter leave your stage with a loaded rifle.

You'll need to read a short "script" to each competitor right before they shoot that gives a brief stage description, and point out the targets. If they have questions you can stand there and talk as long as they want, but since the stage description will be part of their run time we need to keep it as short and CONSISTENT from shooter to shooter as much as possible.

Now, the good:

You will be guaranteed a slot at the match, and will not have to fight in the bloodbath that will occur the minute registration opens!

Your registration fee is $0.00.

Lunch on Saturday will be provided and delivered to your stage.

You will receive a 50% discount on a room at the lodge. Rooms are double-occupancy, so if you want to share a room with another RO you can both stay for free. Or you can have your own room at half-price.

You don't need a special "RO Certification" to work this match, but since it will be a tough match to work I'll need folks who are extra squared-away. Preference will be given in the following order:

1. If I know you personally and know I can count on you
2. If you've RO'd a Run N Gun before
3. If you've RO'd at Rockcastle before (or have completed their RO course)
4. If you've RO'd any 3-gun or action pistol/rifle match before

If you're interested, please send me an email at mstennett@twlakes.net and tell me a little about yourself and your experience. I will talk it over with some locals if I don't know you personally, make a decision on who will be best suited to work this first match, and then notify both those who are accepted and those who will be put on a waiting list if some of the "first string" have to cancel. If this first match goes as well as I hope it will, we will need even MORE RO's next year when we come back and do this again (but even bigger and better!). Please have patience with me as I figure this out, and PLEASE EMAIL ME IF YOU'RE INTERESTED IN ROing. Responses here on Facebook are hard to organize and keep track of, and make for difficult direct contacts.

Thank you in advance for your help and understanding in pulling off what is sure to be a herculean task of putting on a match like this!

stimpsonjcat August 18, 2016 13:43

I love yelling at people all day.

How much comedy/abuse can we inject in the speeches?

kotengu August 18, 2016 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat (Post 4281881)
I love yelling at people all day.

How much comedy/abuse can we inject in the speeches?

In the "speeches" that are the pre-written stage descriptions, none. I need you to read it verbatim and exactly the same for everyone to keep the run time part of this fair.

After that - if the competitor wants to stand there and ask you a million silly questions, or while he's shooting - no limits! Harrassment is most appreciated, as long as you harrass everyone the same (as I know you do - I'm just adding this last part for the benefit of anyone who doesn't know you.

And just for the record - Stimp and Nuttz are two of the six mentioned above.

This is gonna be EPIC!!! :biggrin:

Nuttz August 18, 2016 15:14

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ikI1CMori0w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:biggrin:

kotengu August 18, 2016 17:36

We're going to need some taller obstacles...