The FAL Files

The FAL Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   The 22 Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   STG 44 (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334332)

paulo July 28, 2012 12:07

STG 44

Anyone planning on getting one? Any thoughts? i have a hankering to pick one up.

STGThndr July 28, 2012 13:26

Care to elucidate? Tell us more!

G3isMe July 28, 2012 13:44

1 Attachment(s)
I want to get one too, but thus far haven't been able to find one yet. They are .22 copies of the German WWII STG-44. Imported by American Tactical, by GSG Sports in Germany. I have heard they are pretty good replicas, and they are only $500. I know they aren't the real deal and only .22 but I think they look good and would be cheap shooting.
http://www.americantactical.us/3108/detail.html

STGThndr July 28, 2012 14:07

Wow.. nice lookin.. Enjoy. Imagine hittin the squirrel woods with one of those! The one I want but will never see would be in 7.62X39.

G3isMe July 28, 2012 16:14

About 2 years ago they actually imported about 5000 of them in semi-auto in I think the original caliber. They were being sold by Recon Ordance in Wisconsin. He may still have some for sale. I strongly considered buying one but they were $4,999. I couldn't justify a new semi-auto for that much money.

d_s July 28, 2012 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by G3isMe (Post 3398642)
About 2 years ago they actually imported about 5000 of them in semi-auto in I think the original caliber. They were being sold by Recon Ordance in Wisconsin. He may still have some for sale. I strongly considered buying one but they were $4,999. I couldn't justify a new semi-auto for that much money.

I talked to Jerry at Recon about two months ago, he still has about 20 of these STG's that are just waiting on new bolts, but, the price is going way up. He recently sold a used one on GB and got $6500 for it so I expect that to be the new baseline for what he has left to sell.

gunner30 July 28, 2012 22:39

I'd be interested in the .22 STG but I had two of the GSG 5 mp5 clones and they were both dogs. Had tight chambers and were very ammo sensitive . Given that track record, I'll pass.

wkendwarrior2003 July 29, 2012 00:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by G3isMe (Post 3398642)

I'm assuming those are different from the ones that PTR imported a couple years ago? Did he import them from Germany? Did the Recon Ordnance ones have any reliability problems?

I had always thought one of these STG44s even in semi would be awesome, but it seems that sometimes even some very pricey things can have issues (I'm not saying that was the case with Recon Ordnance imports).

paulo July 29, 2012 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkendwarrior2003 (Post 3398946)
I'm assuming those are different from the ones that PTR imported a couple years ago? Did he import them from Germany? Did the Recon Ordnance ones have any reliability problems?

I had always thought one of these STG44s even in semi would be awesome, but it seems that sometimes even some very pricey things can have issues (I'm not saying that was the case with Recon Ordnance imports).

I believe that those are the ones that Jerry had. I had heard that PTR had issues and ReCon Ordnance took over the sale. If I'm not mistaken there were 200 left when he got them. I also believe that they sold very quickly.

2thdoc July 29, 2012 17:31

how can you put optic on new one?

d_s July 30, 2012 12:46

Recon Ordnance took the SSD STG's that PTR had remaining and took over selling them. He then had his gunsmith go over each one to ensure reliability, some still had issues. Mine had a weak extractor that caused problems until it was replaced, then it worked fine. They are ALOT of fun to shoot and they do have an optics mount welded onto the ejection port side of the gun. I think surplus optics are still available from Czechoslovakia I believe

paulo July 30, 2012 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by d_s (Post 3399730)
Recon Ordnance took the SSD STG's that PTR had remaining and took over selling them. He then had his gunsmith go over each one to ensure reliability, some still had issues. Mine had a weak extractor that caused problems until it was replaced, then it worked fine. They are ALOT of fun to shoot and they do have an optics mount welded onto the ejection port side of the gun. I think surplus optics are still available from Czechoslovakia I believe

The Czech's did make repo optics. Last I heard they were still available.

wkendwarrior2003 July 30, 2012 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by d_s (Post 3399730)

Did you get to test yours for accuracy? How is the weapon recoil wise in your opinion?

d_s July 30, 2012 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkendwarrior2003 (Post 3399908)
Did you get to test yours for accuracy? How is the weapon recoil wise in your opinion?

I haven't tested it for grouping size, but I will do it soon. Recoil is extremely light, as is the trigger pull, you can shoot these things FAST!!!

STGThndr July 31, 2012 03:27

Wow, man far out! It would be a real history-buff paradise moment to have and shoot something like that. Years ago when I was first getting into AKs, I was browsing a gun show with a bud.. some older guy motioned us to his table and handed us a rifle that looked strangely AK-ish. Not knowing much at the time I asked him if this was some proto-type AK. The guy laffed and told us "Sorta".. and explained that it was the original assault rifle, German and now rare and very expensive. It was a real treat to hold and examine it... would have liked to gotten a round to mount in my collection.

G3isMe July 31, 2012 19:27

I agree, I would love to have a "real" one. My great uncle fought in the Battle of the Buldge and I guess that is when they really were fielded in numbers by the Germans. Probably one of the reason the routed the US in the early stages of the fight. I wish I would have taken the opportunity to ask him if he saw any of them. He did bring back some neat battle field pickups that I eventually got from my dad. One is a neat light colored fur lined hat (found an image on the net of my hat as I am to lazy to dig it out and take a photo). I can imagine a soldier fielding an STG-44 wearing my hat.

http://veteransfootlocker.com/images...otos%20007.JPG

STGThndr August 02, 2012 22:21

Far out winter hat to slip under your hood (if you were lucky enuff to have one). I like the visor feature much better than the straight-up flat "visor" of the Soviet ushankas.

catmguy445 August 02, 2012 23:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by STGThndr (Post 3400136)
would have liked to gotten a round to mount in my collection.

You're about a day late and a dollar short on that. A few years ago, Hornady, of all people, made a short production run of 7.92x33mm ammo. I could never understand why they did, because as far as I know, the STG44 was the only gun ever chambered for that round. But I know that Hornady made it, because we had some at the Cabela's I was working part time in back then. It's real easy to see where Mikhail Kalashnikov got the idea for both the AK-47 and the 7.62x39 cartridge.

john17427 August 04, 2012 16:49

Prvi Partizan loads 8mm Kurz, but it's hard to find. Aim Surplus lists it, but sold out right now. Somebody's buying it.

big dee August 04, 2012 23:18

Graf's has the Hornady kurz ammo on sale now.

cpgor August 05, 2012 01:15

I spoke with the guys at ATI in March and the guns were not in the country yet and they were not expecting them till next year.

paulo August 05, 2012 06:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpgor (Post 3403050)
I spoke with the guys at ATI in March and the guns were not in the country yet and they were not expecting them till next year.

They are here. 2 have sold on GB already.

Hootsmon August 05, 2012 11:54

How do they import them?!?

They seem to be a little "non sporting".

paulo August 05, 2012 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootsmon (Post 3403194)
How do they import them?!?

They seem to be a little "non sporting".

I think it is the fact that it's a 22 cal. rimfire.

czech August 06, 2012 23:57

STG 44 -22

I will own one when they hit our town. I have already staked out a dealer that carries the ATI line close by. I bug him regularly. Can't wait. Love them 22, look a like military trainers. Also have quite the stash of real military 22 trainers.

Czech

cpgor August 07, 2012 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulo (Post 3403072)
They are here. 2 have sold on GB already.

Right you are! got a call from my dealer today that the one I had on order has arrived. I will give a review after I get to the range with it:beer:

paulo August 07, 2012 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpgor (Post 3404557)
Right you are! got a call from my dealer today that the one I had on order has arrived. I will give a review after I get to the range with it:beer:

Nice. Some pics would be good as well.

def90 August 08, 2012 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by G3isMe (Post 3400542)
I can imagine a soldier fielding an STG-44 wearing my hat.

http://veteransfootlocker.com/images...otos%20007.JPG

How about Luke Skywalker in the Empire Strikes Back?

http://www.itsvery.net/star-wars-5/t...s-back-002.jpg

G3isMe August 08, 2012 18:09

Haha, you know you are right! I new Lucas ripped off a lot of German weapons and uniforms but I never thought of my hat being one of them. He was wearing this hat when he was lost in the blizzard.

MrJudgeOC August 25, 2012 10:39

They are here

My son surprised me 2 weeks ago by getting me one. Funny thing was, I was going to get him one.

I like it and think it's worth the money for nothing else than the fun factor. I have not wrung it out extensively, but am well pleased with it. I have no experience with gsg's mp guns, but think that maybe the stg44 has tight chamber as well. I got weird malfunctions with remington/peters ammo. Would not fully chamber about 3-4%. Bulk federal, however, ran without a single malfunction. Both slow and mag dump firing. The gun is capable of fine accuracy. My old eyes, however, are not. I was getting about 2" groups off hand at 100 yards with 3 or 4 shots and then 1 or 2 would open up to 4 or 5 inches. The rear sight base has built in scope mount like original. Wouldn't be surprised if gsg makes a scope/mount for it in the future. Just hope they get spare mags here as having one just sucks!

Mike

oddcarl August 29, 2012 14:28

Too cool!:bow:

Root66 August 29, 2012 14:31

I've got one on backorder, no local dealers have one in stock. Mind me asking what you paid for it?

Scott V2 August 30, 2012 16:24

I have handled one in the shop I moonlight in on Saturdays. They are HEAVY:wink:

G3isMe August 30, 2012 19:07

That is too cool. I have been soo tempted to buy one off of Gunbroker (I can't find one in Houston) but I really don't want to pay $650 when they will probably be $500 6 months from now. My fear though is that they will stop importing them (especially if Obummer gets re-elected) and I won't be able to get one. :confused: I am glad you like it as that makes it even more tempting to me to try to buy one now. Does it handle like a "full size" rifle (whatever that means)? I am very very verrrry envious! I just showed your photos to my wife and she instantly changed the subject. :mad:

G3isMe August 31, 2012 18:14

$650 is about the best deal I personally have seen on Gunbroker so I would say you did well. The MSRP is $599, for what that is worth. Damn, here I go again, looks like I may be searching Gunbroker again. I actually have been looking at them on Gunbroker, and calling the seller if they are gunshops. I found a couple that would sell them for $600, one would sell for $540 if you could pick it up in Pittsburgh, which is to far for me to drive from Houston. :cry: And why aren't there any available in Houston? What is up with that???

moonbat60 August 31, 2012 21:20

Now all we need is a .22cal. copy of the FG 42. If the price would be reasonable, I'd buy one.

:fal:

Pete

G3isMe September 01, 2012 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by onegunshort (Post 3419273)
I got impatient and grabbed this off gunbroker for $635 shipped. If I would have waited a few days I could have got one for around $550. ...............

Please tell me where you could have got one for $550? The best deal I could find today is $625 shipped.

def90 September 01, 2012 22:46

How is the build quality? Does it feel solid or chintzy? Any plastic? How solid do the stamped metal parts feel? How is the weight and does it feel balanced?

onegunshort September 02, 2012 09:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by G3isMe (Post 3420079)
Please tell me where you could have got one for $550? The best deal I could find today is $625 shipped.

I was just browsing gunbroker a few days after I bought mine, I saw it listed and it was sold by the end of the day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by def90 (Post 3420244)
How is the build quality? Does it feel solid or chintzy? Any plastic? How solid do the stamped metal parts feel? How is the weight and does it feel balanced?

I'd say it's pretty high quality and feels solid. It weighs almost 10lbs with an empty mag. The balance point is just behind the magazine.The only stamped metal part is the front handguard, the rest is die-cast zamak. The barrel is white steel, the front part of the gun is just a shroud that the barrel fits into.

I think the only plastic part is the magazine and the bolt damper.

http://aftermathgunclub.com/wp-conte...nclub.com_.pdf

MajHenryWest September 02, 2012 15:28

That is the neatest .22 rifle one could ever find!

I now need one!

G3isMe September 05, 2012 15:05

I just found and bought one for $580 shipped. Woo hooo. I report back when she arrives.

cowbilly September 06, 2012 17:54

I bought one for $619. There is one for $570 on gunbroker now but there are seveal bidders, it will go up.

gunner30 September 11, 2012 20:00

Got to fondle one today at the local fun shop, price was $550. Pretty impressive looking piece, but I want to wait until a few others buy one first. I want to hear about any issues that may exist. Still a little burned from my GSG 5 experience.

puffrbelly September 11, 2012 21:05

I have a GSG 5 and it runs Schweeeet. :biggrin: Please tell me of your experience. It would be appreciated. I've been looking at the STG 44 as well but I'm hoping the prices will stabilize.:rolleyes: Thanks in advance.

Bob
Over and Out

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunner30 (Post 3427523)
Got to fondle one today at the local fun shop, price was $550. Pretty impressive looking piece, but I want to wait until a few others buy one first. I want to hear about any issues that may exist. Still a little burned from my GSG 5 experience.

G3isMe September 18, 2012 21:53

I talked to my FFL today and my STG arrived and will be waiting for me when I get home this weekend. I let you all know what I think of it when I have had a chance to fondle it :love: :devil:

WWM September 18, 2012 22:36

Just snagged one from one of my vendors. Now to see who wins the fight between the shops guys to get it.:biggrin:

PA Garand Boy September 19, 2012 11:12

According to the interwebs, This will fit the .22 Stg 44

cowbilly September 19, 2012 19:26

I picked mine up today. I have not fired it yet. Cool packaging but I'm disappointed in mag availablity, one mag does not cut it with me. Trigger pull is horrible, barrel does not extend all the way to the muzzle nut as seen in some pictures (I believe a previous post mentions this). Plastic internal parts (charging handle guide) seems flimsy. mainly metal and die-castings externally, bolt and guide are metal and seem well made but the springs in trigger group and charging handle don't seem built for a lot of use or longevity but I could be wong. Overall, a nice looking rifle but I overpaid ($619 shipped).

If I had it to do over I would wait for the prices to drop and hope they are readily available. $599 MSRP is way too high.

puffrbelly September 19, 2012 19:38

Greetings,

Just ordered one from GRABAGUN.com a few minutes ago. They are IN STOCK and priced at $528.87, AND, Flat Rate shipping is only $5.99 on ALL firearms. :biggrin: $534.86 O.T.D. is, I believe, the best price I've seen thus far. :bow: By the way, I have no interest in, nor am I affiliated in any way, shape or form with GRABAGUN.com, I'm just sayin'. :wink:

Bob,
Over and Out

cowbilly September 19, 2012 20:51

No tax or FFL fee? I was just a little dissappointed in mine for the price I paid, ($25 transfer/$25 shipping) especially after reading your post (though I'm glad you found a better deal). In my honest opinion it is a $400 rifle at best.

I always wanted an STG44/MP44, real ones are around 20K and I could not time the $$$$/availablity with the semi auto to get one of those. The .22 version will have to do. Hopefully it will be a fun/good shooter.