The FAL Files

The FAL Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Revolver Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   629-1 S&W 44 magnum question (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424574)

JAVIER February 24, 2018 12:31

629-1 S&W 44 magnum question

I got this 629-1 44 magnum from a friend of mine. he had a gunsmith in florida to install a jack weigand scope rail. I understand that the newer 629's they come already predrilled from the factory. the older ones you have to drill and tap.. but this is the question: I want to put back the original rear sight. now there is 3 3-56 threaded holes from the scope mount on the frame. by having those holes (not being used) can cause that frame to be less stronger than before or they are made strong enough keeping in mind that in the event if the frame is drilled for a scope mount is not going to be problem like in my case that decided not to use the scope mount but the holes are there. my friend told me that if you do this, that the gunsmith told him that you have to put screws to cover the holes to make the frame strong again if you decide to put the original rear sight. that you should not shoot that revolver with the holes open.. but I just don't believe that. are the newer 6-29's that come from smith and wesson already predrilled have a stronger frame than the ones that are not predrilled or both are the same? thanks

MAINER February 24, 2018 19:28

I believe the newer S&W 629's do have a stronger, or more durable frame, wither they are of a different alloy or slightly beefier I don't know, just something I read or heard somewhere . This was around 1990 with the -4 and -5 variations.

I don't think three tiny 3-56 holes will weaken a 629 frame to any extant making it dangerous. I definitely would purchase the "Plug" screws" to cover the holes. I am very particular about my 29 and 629. :love:

Edgartwib February 24, 2018 21:05

If it is strictly a target/range gun you might consider a bomar sight rail. It might go right onto your scope mount screw holes...I have an old 29-2 race gun with 8" barrel and Bomar a sight rail. I love that gun it feels like you have to try to miss when shooting single action.

Right Side Up February 25, 2018 01:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAVIER (Post 4546501)
my friend told me that if you do this, that the gunsmith told him that you have to put screws to cover the holes to make the frame strong again if you decide to put the original rear sight. that you should not shoot that revolver with the holes open.. but I just don't believe that.

LOL. Once the holes are drilled that's it. Putting screws back in won't take it back to original strength. :rofl:

K. Funk February 25, 2018 08:55

The cylinder has holes too, and walls much thinner.

krf

yovinny February 25, 2018 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by K. Funk (Post 4546916)
The cylinder has holes too, and walls much thinner.

krf

:uhoh:...if youve got holes in the cylinder too,,you drilled WAY too deep..:tongue:

Reminds me of the the $100. deal I got on a 'locked up' savage 99 many moons ago...
Where bubba drilled & tapped for a mount,,,, and then ran the screws into the top of the bolt....:rofl:

jhend170 March 01, 2018 11:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by yovinny (Post 4547052)
:uhoh:...if youve got holes in the cylinder too,,you drilled WAY too deep..:tongue:

Reminds me of the the $100. deal I got on a 'locked up' savage 99 many moons ago...
Where bubba drilled & tapped for a mount,,,, and then ran the screws into the top of the bolt....:rofl:

Few years back I answered an ad for a REALLY cheap little .380 mini-1911. Guy said it was his mom's that his dad bought for her early 80s. They both passed, he takes it, cleans it up, goes to the range... nothing. Decides it's non-functional and to sell. When I meet him the thing really looks unfired. I was rolling the dice myself but had another just like it I loved so figured if nothing else I'd have some nice replacement parts if they were ever needed. Paid him a c-note and left happy. I pull it down, immediately realize they had missed passing the slide stop through the barrel link ring. Repairs cost me $0.00. Now I have 2. :woo:

As to the OP... heard more than 1 story about 629s stretching the frames with continued use of full-power .44mag. Have no idea at what point that might occur in a round count, but I think no matter what I'd research that a bit more and shoot reduced power (read ".44Sp") if you plan to put some miles on it. As much as I love my 686+ and the trigger it has, I went with the Redhawk for my .44mag needs for this reason alone. Nothing stronger.

Cava3r4 March 02, 2018 22:50

I was looking at buying the S&W 460 XVR
reason:
I could shoot full house 460's, 454 Casulls, 45 "long colt" and it should be able to handle anything as it is built like a tank!
I just dont' want to pay 1200 for it.

Tuhlmann March 05, 2018 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Right Side Up (Post 4546848)
LOL. Once the holes are drilled that's it. Putting screws back in won't take it back to original strength. :rofl:

^^^This. Shoot it. Donít worry about it. Filler screws are only to keep your blind holes free from debris and other sheiss, and add no structural integrity to your drilled frame at all.

WESOMATIC March 19, 2018 18:14

A little off topic, what is a 629-1 in good shape worth?

Cava3r4 March 19, 2018 18:37

friend of mine bought a MINT 29-1 with a 10-3/8 barrel on it (I think I got the length correct)
he bought it about 4 years ago from a dealer and it cost him about $800.

sniperdoc March 19, 2018 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by yovinny (Post 4547052)

Fixed many rifles with that problem!

sniperdoc March 19, 2018 20:04

If it were mine, I would shoot it all I wanted with factory loads.
I won't tell you what to do with your gun.