The FAL Files

The FAL Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   Curios & Relics (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Picked up a Martini Enfield .303... (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423846)

K. Funk February 06, 2018 17:29

Picked up a Martini Enfield .303...

What a cool gun. Martini action .303 caliber marked BSA and Enfield Mle 303 1899. The bore is good, so I figure I will load up some lower power 180 RN and 220 RN loads even though I read that they are quite capable of digesting Mk VII loads. I'll get some pics up as soon as I can.

krf

easttex February 06, 2018 22:38

I'm jealous. This thread needs pics!

vmtz February 07, 2018 09:04

I have one, they are fun.

Vince

Riversidesports February 07, 2018 15:08

They are fun guns

A few points:

Most of these in the USA were brought in by SARCO when they bought out the Citadel military academy in Cairo Egypt
Some were damn decent but other were toasted up badly. It was common for the Egyptians to manufacture replacement block pins out of rather soft steel

Usually those guns are marked on the barrel knox with Farsi.
Generally most had been reblued at least once.

The other two sources were Canada and New Zealand
The Kiwis had .303 carbines and quite a number of .303 rifles were sold in Canada to militia. The Canuck guns are generally commercial rifles and usually in rather fine condition.

A few came in from India as well.
More recently from Afganistan as well

Pull the block and make sure it's the smaller smokeless FP tip.

As long as the block is right and you have a proper block pivot pin they are perfectly fine to run any .303 ammo through

MasterChief February 07, 2018 19:18

"More recently from Afghanistan as well..."

A few Khyber Pass specials sold a few years ago and considered by some to be unsafe to shoot. Be careful to properly ID your rifle. Best wishes. Dave

raubvogel February 08, 2018 06:21

More than 4 replies and hansellhd has not posted a picture of his, say, 32 pristine variations of the Martini rifles and carbines? He must be getting old. :D

justashooter February 08, 2018 09:23

sounds like fun. look forward to seeing it at a shoot. i am reminded that i need to forestock the first model parts gun that i have.

Riversidesports February 08, 2018 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterChief (Post 4537919)
"More recently from Afghanistan as well..."

A few Khyber Pass specials sold a few years ago and considered by some to be unsafe to shoot. Be careful to properly ID your rifle. Best wishes. Dave

Well different deal

Some are original English Martinis, others are maybe a third English and some are Paki fabrications from Darra in the Northern Territories.
The Pashtan & Pushtun are incredible gun makers.

Nepal and India made clones too

SWOHFAL February 08, 2018 23:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riversidesports (Post 4537805)
They are fun guns

A few points:

Most of these in the USA were brought in by SARCO when they bought out the Citadel military academy in Cairo Egypt
Some were damn decent but other were toasted up badly. It was common for the Egyptians to manufacture replacement block pins out of rather soft steel

Usually those guns are marked on the barrel knox with Farsi.
Generally most had been reblued at least once.

The other two sources were Canada and New Zealand
The Kiwis had .303 carbines and quite a number of .303 rifles were sold in Canada to militia. The Canuck guns are generally commercial rifles and usually in rather fine condition.

A few came in from India as well.
More recently from Afganistan as well

Pull the block and make sure it's the smaller smokeless FP tip.

As long as the block is right and you have a proper block pivot pin they are perfectly fine to run any .303 ammo through

Since when did Arabs write in Persian?

raubvogel February 09, 2018 06:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWOHFAL (Post 4538459)
Since when did Arabs write in Persian?

About the same time Brazilians wore sombreros and drove old Caprice classics.

justashooter February 09, 2018 13:54

egyptians are not arabs, and neither write in farsi. citadel is about as shitty a place ot get a gun from as khartoum, but i have guns from khartoum.

raubvogel February 09, 2018 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by easttex (Post 4537515)
I'm jealous. This thread needs pics!

If you go to wikipedia, the pict of the inside bits is mine. But then wikipedia decided it wasn't. So, I stopped contributing.