The FAL Files

The FAL Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   Survival & Preparedness (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=131)
-   -   Affordable Vehicles That Can Survive an EMP (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422546)

Black Blade January 01, 2018 02:43

Affordable Vehicles That Can Survive an EMP

Affordable Vehicles That Can Survive an EMP

Option 1: 1979 Jeep CJ5 4×4

http://www.askaprepper.com/wp-conten...ep-CJ5-4x4.jpg

Continued: http://www.askaprepper.com/affordabl...n-survive-emp/

Black Blade: Some interesting choices ... I like the Jeep but some others seem quite practical as well.

My old 1976 CJ-7 works for me:

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpg/b57...8314d2e1_r.jpg

grumpy1 January 01, 2018 03:43

Well, both of those should work. I would take the CJ7 over the CJ5 just because it have more room to care gears and in snow the CJ5 are notorious for the back end trying to outrun the front end.

I think an old truck would be better, especially if you get one that has 4 wheel drive. Something like a Jeep J20, Ford High boy, Dodge power wagon, Chevy K20, or a Kaiser M715. I like the 3/4 ton over the 1/2 ton for two reasons: first the carrying capacity is better, second the 3/4 tons have better ground clearance than 1/2 tons. I would also look at anything older than 1975, just to make sure that nothing would be compromised during an EMP event.

I know my 1965 Chevy wasn’t to hard to rewire when I swapped motors from a straight 6 to a V-8. It only took about three hours to figure it out, and that was without the aid of the internet. I do love the fact that there are only about a dozen wires in the whole truck.

the gman January 01, 2018 04:36

So the truck survives the EMP; the gas pumps aren't going to and unless you've got a huge stash of gasoline at your place, its nothing more than scrap metal once its empty. Horses on the other hand, while more maintenance intensive, run on renewable fuel... :wink:

RG Coburn January 01, 2018 07:51

The red Jeep CJ-5 is actually a pre-1972. Shorter length front fenders,top mounted wipers.Gas tank under driver seat,narrower leaf springs.Actually,more likely to survive than a 1979,though do love late ones with the 258 I-6 because they were so reliable and easy to fix. The late ignitions were weird,some motorcraft sorta thing,with a brain box on the inside of the driver side fender. Those you wanted to keep a spare,as they always seemed to die on a weekend.
I had a 78 CJ-7. My first Jeep. 258 with a tremac t-150 trans.It was okay. I did the read diff swap to a Dana 44 flanged axle set up. Problem with 76-on up CJ was the box-style frames. Crap got into them,then rotted them from inside out. You almost never see a 76-up CJ around here,but there are older ones still going. Somebody ended up producing a galvanized replacement frame.

I curious how well ATV ignitions would fair after an EMP. Or how well a vehicle in a metal barn would hold up,vs. one sitting outside.Would clamping your jumper cables from the bumpers to a ground rod help?

raubvogel January 01, 2018 08:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by the gman (Post 4520675)
So the truck survives the EMP; the gas pumps aren't going to and unless you've got a huge stash of gasoline at your place, its nothing more than scrap metal once its empty. Horses on the other hand, while more maintenance intensive, run on renewable fuel... :wink:

So, time for an old Mercedes or other mechanical pump diesels?

J. Armstrong January 01, 2018 08:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by RG Coburn (Post 4520700)
The red Jeep CJ-5 is actually a pre-1972. Shorter length front fenders,top mounted wipers.Gas tank under driver seat,narrower leaf springs.Actually,more likely to survive than a 1979,though do love late ones with the 258 I-6 because they were so reliable and easy to fix. The late ignitions were weird,some motorcraft sorta thing,with a brain box on the inside of the driver side fender. Those you wanted to keep a spare,as they always seemed to die on a weekend.
I had a 78 CJ-7. My first Jeep. 258 with a tremac t-150 trans.It was okay. I did the read diff swap to a Dana 44 flanged axle set up. Problem with 76-on up CJ was the box-style frames. Crap got into them,then rotted them from inside out. You almost never see a 76-up CJ around here,but there are older ones still going. Somebody ended up producing a galvanized replacement frame.

I curious how well ATV ignitions would fair after an EMP. Or how well a vehicle in a metal barn would hold up,vs. one sitting outside.Would clamping your jumper cables from the bumpers to a ground rod help?

To be effective, a true Faraday cage has NO openings
Electrical charge stays on the outside of metal, if there is any opening, the inside is nothing more than another "outside". IIRC, the critical "size" of the opening is determined by the wavelength of the pulse ? Help me out here, experts :)

Wil-C January 02, 2018 01:26

affordable?

any of the `70's GM trucks. Mostly the 1/2 ton for least costly. 2wd being the cheapest, 4wd is of course more but still low cost compared to anything else.

Breaker points will take EMP shot and keep going. HEI ignition you might need a spare module and rotor. Both are dirt cheap & easily stored.

conversion from HEI back to points is easy to do.

GM 30 amp alt, you'll want a spare set of diodes & regulator module. Both modules (HEI module & voltage regulator) are solid state (transistor?) not computerized so I don't know how susceptible they are.

Nice thing about those, side saddle tanks. Pull the tank off one side & there's plenty of room for a propane conversion & there's still a 20 gallon gas tank for use on the other side.

`70's models have the advantage of 1rst gen small block, dirt cheap to build, easy to maintain. Turbo 350 trans is anvil reliable.

these trucks are the most common, easiest to get parts for, share commonality of components with a lot of GM from earlier and later years.

I have a `75 3/4 ton 4wd, would not part with it for anything....

NFADLR January 02, 2018 01:32

1984 thru 1987 CHEVY CUCV.

Has 6.2L Diesel engine with a non electronic Turbo 400 transmission, a np208 and or the M2028A2 and M1031 come with a NP205 transfer case.

The two above come with a D60 front with a locker and a FF 14 bolt with Detroit locker.

I put a pair of alternators in a Faraday box just in case.

C2A1 January 03, 2018 13:44

Old station wagons. Saw a 1970 dodge coronet Station wagon in the junk yard. 318 V8. Old AMCs use Ford/GM parts and the 258s were used in jeeps forever. Thing about station wagons is that they are cheap, you can carry a lot, they are invisible and they are heavy. Find an old one and fix it up mechanically. Put a small pump in the back for gas stations. Also once the EMP hits, you driving around will draw LOTS of attention.

Bug Tussell January 04, 2018 09:31

Quote:

plus, you can eat 'em...

Sig220 January 04, 2018 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bug Tussell (Post 4522003)
plus, you can eat 'em...

Thought only the French did that! :wink: :facepalm:

NFADLR January 04, 2018 19:13

I'll bet at least some here have this availability.

If you can make shine you can make fuel.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiesel

Quote:

hueyville January 04, 2018 20:36

Why my post EMP vehicles get 80+ mpg if drive them easy. Try to go much over 55 mph for long and drops to 60 to 65 mpg range. My little original 125 cc 1948 model will get 100 mpg if poke along in the 35 to 45 mph speed range. That's on crappy fuel too. Not much for payload and mpg but beats walking or especially running if need to get a few miles and back before the zombies smell a meal in the open.

Have two diesels that will survive but they are not fuel efficient and require a lot of room to manuver. Within hours of EMP unless your able to push box trucks, tractor trailers, lines of dead cars out of your way a truck is only travelling off road. Why have the one diesel 6×6 built for maintaining power lines. Can take to power line cuts and the huge tires and ground clearance will likely travel the power line cuts around here if not already a bunch of lifted pickup trucks broke and stuck bottlenecking even those routes.

Small and nimble may be only way. My little Harley Hummers weigh 200 pounds and are magneto ignition so don't even need a battery. Kick it and go. Magneto even makes enough extra power to run the light if need.

hueyville January 15, 2018 19:50

Always remember whatever vehicle you choose better have a large stockpile of spare parts and tools. Was reminded today as rolling down interstate and suddenly began hearing noise whenever came of the accelerator pedal and coasting from rear of my favorite work truck.

http://i68.tinypic.com/oub13l.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/s3n0pu.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/nn2np1.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/v30h91.jpg

Pinion bearings puked their guts out and pinion tried to crawl into gears and grenade rear end. Luckily was able to push in clutch, cost to upcoming ramp, call wrecker and before parts house closed had a parts needed ordered to fix. How many have every part in-house for your end of world vehicle? If had to 1990's though late 2000's Dakotas share lots of driveline parts and could scavenge if wanted to keep that truck running. Have a spare set of rotors and pads for all four corners on all trucks, enough filters and fluids for at least two or three services in my parts room at work. I do have a new computer in a Faraday box for the 93 Dakota and the 2001 3/4 ton diesel. Will eventually need them even without EMP as I drive trucks till the axles and entire drive train gives up.

Have enough parts to service all the bikes from the Harley Hummers through the Shovelheads, Evos and Twincam at least three or four times each in garage at house. Like to service bikes regularly and hate having to drive to Harley dealership or independent shop to buy when in the mood to service bikes. Every bike has a spare starter relay, brake pads, spark plugs, plug wires and more in left rear saddle bag. Have swapped more brakes or made minor tweaks on road trips than when home. When rode all the time never knew when an afternoon ride might turn into a vacation. Wife and I left to go on a one night week eked ride and didn't get home for over three weeks. We're on the old bikes and rode Blue Ridge Parkway to end, then Skyline Drive to end, then reversed it to turn toward Daniel Boone National Forest in Kentucky and had to wrench on a bike almost every evening to keep them 100% happy.

We actually have enough parts to build tjree more each of our end of world vehicles so could fix if break or just assemble another one if need. Have all bearings, seals, rings, etc for engines, wheels, spare brake components, carburetor kits, etc. Cannot think of a single part on my 1948 Harley Hummers or the 1956 Magneto Harley Hummers that do not have two to four of every part including oversize pistons and rings in case need to bore another 0.020, put new rings plus piston and bearings if motor gets tired from lots of use. So whatever vehicle you choose have spare parts.

NFADLR January 15, 2018 20:13

Well I know the first GM incarnation of the CUCV the M series IE M1008, M1009 etc are EMP proof but here is a more modern CUCV not really called out as a CUCV but is along the same lines.

ETA: This one is called a LSSV aka Light Service Support Vehicle.

http://olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_lssv.php

This one is a 2006 or 2007 Chevrolet It was found in Guam sold for auction a few months ago for around $5500.00
Auction site that it sold on, another just like it a few months later.
http://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/s/item/933382?h=6-1

https://i.imgur.com/LGxzML5.jpg

kotengu January 15, 2018 22:02

I thought to survive an EMP, a vehicle still had to use points? My '79 CJ is awesome, but even it has electronic ignition.

NFADLR January 15, 2018 22:11

The CUCV with 6.2L diesel uses mechanical injection and uses no distributor or other ignition like gasoline engines.

The later Light Service Support Vehicle does have a buttload of features to deal with as it has a computer and the 5 or 6 speed Allison automatic transmission is electonic as well in my understanding.

I have two trucks of the 2007 vintage and haven't figured out how to emp proof them but also have 2 square body Chevrolet truck that are employed proof.

One with a magneto and a manual transmission and another with a non electronic turbo 400 transmission and a magneto for a distributor.

Keep in mind still gonna need a good stock of tires on wheels and or a tire machine to keep the trucks running.

https://i.imgur.com/8DBtThl.jpg

hueyville January 18, 2018 13:45

We have two 1948 single cylinder Harleys with standard ignition. Points are about all that can go bad. Have two 1957 single cylinder magneto Harleys that are identical and do not even have a battery. If we were to have to leave, would go on identical vehicles and if had to could rob parts from one to service the other once arrive wherever.

pistolero1911 January 19, 2018 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by hueyville (Post 4526562)
Was rolling down interstate and suddenly began hearing noise whenever came off the accelerator pedal and coasting from rear of my favorite work truck.

http://i68.tinypic.com/oub13l.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/s3n0pu.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/nn2np1.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/v30h91.jpg

Pinion bearings puked their guts out and pinion tried to crawl into gears and grenade rear end.

Try adding a little bit of oatmeal to the differential, it should quiet it down, then trade it in on a newer truck.;)

My EMP event survival vehicle is an MGA. Nothing that can't be fixed with bubblegum and bailing wire. Has a generator, two fuses and an ignition with points.

FALonious January 19, 2018 17:20

A Volvo C303 would be good, not bad cost wise, parts availability and unlike the Pinzy it's liquid cooled. Very reliable from what I've read about them and spoken to 2 owners. Neat lil units. Even come in 4 or 6 wheel, milspec or civy versions also.

idsubgun January 19, 2018 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by hueyville (Post 4527838)
We have two 1948 single cylinder Harleys with standard ignition. Points are about all that can go bad. Have two 1957 single cylinder magneto Harleys that are identical and do not even have a battery. If we were to have to leave, would go on identical vehicles and if had to could rob parts from one to service the other once arrive wherever.

Don't know which points Hummer's use but all big twins with points use the same set of points that an early 60's Chevy six-cylinder used. Pretty easy points to find, very common.

hueyville January 20, 2018 06:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by pistolero1911 (Post 4528225)
Try adding a little bit of oatmeal to the differential, it should quiet it down, then trade it in on a newer truck.;)

My EMP event survival vehicle is an MGA. Nothing that can't be fixed with bubblegum and bailing wire. Has a generator, two fuses and an ignition with points.

Picking up new ring and pinion plus spider gears, complete rebuild kit with all bearings, bushings and shims for rear end. Also new axle bearings/seals, rear brake shoes and drums this morning. All American made parts and Monday morning it will be on the road with effectively a new rear end. New clutch and throw out bearing six momths ago. Rebuilt front end last year along with A/C. It would take me two weeks to move the radios and guns to a new truck and would be just as likely to break the way I treat the little Dakota.

New truck means big pile of crap that only the dealer can service and no fixing on side of road or in floor of my shop. Why I won't buy a new diesel, our 2001 most people think is new that ride in it but I can fix the thing. Do not want anti-stop brakes (anti lock) more than one computer (friend has car with 25 computer modules), and what's the big deal with rebuilding an axle, or dropping in a crate motor? Would have to worry about scratching a new truck and most people I know using new trucks in high duty cycle environments spend a lot of time at the dealer. Have three trucks with over 300,000 miles and yes I fix one occasionally but do not have a truck payment, actually have no payments. Life is much easier that way.

medicmike January 20, 2018 09:42

Quote:

And you will be rolling in style! Always wanted an MGA

hueyville January 20, 2018 10:01

Quote:

Try adding a little bit of oatmeal to the differential, it should quiet it down, then trade it in on a newer truck.;) My EMP event survival vehicle is an MGA. Nothing that can't be fixed with bubblegum and bailing wire.

I caught the wink but even the a joke about fillimg my differential with oatmeal or sawdust conjures bad memories. During the worst financial time of my life, had to buy a truck so went to "reputible" used car dealer and bought a 4×4 GMC with 350 and automatic tramsmission. While salesman told me there was NO Warranty, he did swear their mechanic went through the truck and it was good. Said any that failed their inspection went to the local auto auction, not on the lot. It was a fine truck mechanically and to not worry about it.

Truck overheated and radiator busted on way to work from lot. Called them from payphone (pre cells) and was told tough luck, they can't catch everything. Put radiator in it and less than three days transmission went out and it was full of "mechanic in a can" stop leak just as radiator had been. WhIle replacing transmission decided to have driveshaft serviced and was going to replace gaskets on differentials. Pulled covers to find them packed with sawdust and filled above fill point with axle grease, not differential oil. Of course motor blew in less than a week after replaced transmission and gears. Dropped a junkyard motor in it and it lasted about a year before had to give up in it. Never will I buy used again unless I know it's original owner and truck.

Now as to buying a new truck. How many here leave home in daily driver that has RFID chip in the key? Not one of our vehicles except a late model Harley-Davidson has RFID key. If driving a vehicle made during Obama administration more than 30 minutes from house regularly, how are you getting home if fat boy in N Korea actually does pop a EMP nuclear device over U.S.? The ugly 1993 truck I leave house in most days has always got me home or at least back to work. This time, soon as heard first odd noise got off interstate. Noticed loose pinion nut and bet money if had quickly dropped rear of driveshaft (four bolts) and tightened the pinion nut as hard as a 3/4" drive socket with cheater bar could and put driveshaft back in could have driven home.

Did exactly that in my 2007 Ram 4×4 at about the same mileage. Some reason 1/2 ton Dodge trucks seem to loose a differential soon after turns 325,000 miles. Had three Dodge trucks and one Jeep Commanche thus far require new differentials between 300,000 and 350,000 miles. 3/4 ton trucks need them soon after a half million miles. Friend has fleet with three 3/4 ton Dodge trucks and four 1 ton Dodges and five of the seven have over a million miles on them. Each one hot shots a load every week from Georgia to Quebec pulling a gooseneck trailer. He says they limp home on occasion but seldom has one come home on trailer. Since always trucks going both ways if one does totally die first one coming home picks it up on the empty trailer and second grabs the trailer. He says will not buy any truck made after 2002 which is last year of Gen 2 Dodge diesel and will fix what he has till retires and new owner can buy trucks if wants.

My 3/4 ton Dodge 4×4 is a 2001 and 90% who ride in it think its new or near new. Only people that realize there is a definate difference in old and new "quiet diesels" know its an older truck. Everyone talks about their post EMP SHTF vehicle. What percentage of time are you actually in it? Or are you in a nice new vehicle 99% of the time. One of four trucks have no computer, two icludimg daily driver are OBD 1 and newest truck early OBD 2. Have the basic and latest scan tools including a new scanner that I bought when my shop unit lost factory update support on 2017 models. Keep it in a Faraday cage room in a Faraday box in case it's needed post EMP. It has 2018 support and guaranteed updates for a decade.

The little 1993 Dakota has three batteries under the hood but only two hooked to alternator. Once a month turn a big switch that isolates one of the batteries from truck. The third is always charged and cyled a month then disconnected a month. If 200 miles from home when EMP hits if shorts plates in connected batteries hopefully disconnected battery survives. Then it's do some direct wiring and bypassing some systems to see if able to make it run and get home. Have an electric fuel pump in an ammo can in tool box that fits in exact place on rail the fuel filter resides. If EMP smokes fuel pump (will on most late models) can pull spare out of Faraday box of spare ignition parts, fuses, relays, single comtrol computer, etc and put it where fuel filter sits in five minutes. Also have a mid level CAN/OBD 1/OBD 2 scanner in the "box".

If have a hot battery, able to get fuel in top of engine, replace it's simple brain and can "ugly wire" a few systems then there is a good chance the Dakota will get me home. Next week won't have to worry about rear axle in my lifetime. When motor goes plan to drop a crate engine in and keep on driving. While waiting on parts have spent the week cleaning underside, servicing everything that looks suspect and spraying some undercoat in some places that bare metal was showing. Replaced coax going to big HF antenna that sits just off the rear fender behind passenger side rear wheel along with control wires to antenna tuner. Would take me a month to move stereo, C.B., ham radios, amps and digital communications boxes that tether radios to my laptop.

Truck doesn't look like much but has custom wound alternator to give all the amps truck needs plus radios transmitting at 100 watts into 500 watt mobile amplifier. It has a now obsolete suspension Dodge offered that was 1.5" lower than a stock 4×4 with sway bars double the diameter of stock. Finding replacement bushings were a b!tch. After 300,000+ miles it handles better than most 2WD trucks due to low center of gravity, upgraded sway bars and shocks. Special ordered the truck to be most road friendly and easiest to fix possible. Has a manual five speed gear box, no anti-stop brakes, no airbags (last year without) and has maximum drivability with minumum complicated systems.

If a truck has air bags, anti lock-brakes, front, rear and side airbags, multiple computers for each system all trying to work with main computer I do not want it. Friend drives a new Corvette. He discovered doing some mods it has 25 on-board computers. One for traction comtrol, another for brakes, etc. Know 2017/18 Dodge trucks have a PCM computer, ECM computer, ECU computer, TCM computer and TCU computer. Add in Bluetooth, Sirius, WiFI and all kinds of stuff your toast.

Know a guy who's late model Ford diesel left him stranded and had to go to dealer due to glitch in system that told computer if someone was in a seat and not buckled. It was passenger seat and nobody with him. If have to change the head or rear injectors on a Powerstroke Ford entire cab has to be removed. Know three people who had cab removed to fix an injector problem in Fords and said trucks had all kinds of gremlins afterwards till finally traded. I am waiting for engine to crap out and after replace plan to finally paint the Dakota again. Do people expect a call the day of an EMP so will be sure to drive their post SHTF vehicle? I don't, drive something can fix with parts and tools on board or worst case use guns and armor to take first running vehicle I see.

Dazed and Confused January 20, 2018 23:45

My 1979 XR250. Paid $1000 for it three years ago. It had only 706 miles on it. Now has 780 miles.
About as EMP proof as you can get.

https://i.imgur.com/CZcYjaC.png
https://i.imgur.com/4X2MWQ2.jpg

Not much to the electrical system either... No batteries required! ;)
https://i.imgur.com/s3IQrLI.png

idsubgun January 21, 2018 08:53

I have some Harley's I could use but you can't carry much so I'd use either my '69 Chevy C10 or my '70 Chevy El Camino.

https://i.imgur.com/8eSSMuq.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/FTG1VJr.jpg

hueyville January 21, 2018 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dazed and Confused (Post 4528961)
My 1979 XR250. Paid $1000 for it three years ago. It had only 706 miles on it. Now has 780 miles.
(Trim)
About as EMP proof as you can get.
Not much to the electrical system either... No batteries required! ;)

Now someone is on right track. Complete wiring kit and diagram that covers most Harley Hummers 1948 through 1959. Certain models do not use all the wires in this kit. Why I like them so much.

http://i68.tinypic.com/300gpht.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by idsubgun (Post 4529038)
I have some Harley's I could use but you can't carry much so I'd use either my '69 Chevy C10 or my '70 Chevy El Camino.
(Trim)

Both vehicles are nice but if roads are blocked by mix of wrecks, abandoned vehicles, trees, debris, etc even a 4×4 truck may not be able to get around many obsticles. I have small 4×4 with parts to resurrect if dies, 1/2 ton 4×4 with Mopar 360 simpIe V8 motor as made in modern history other than 318 which both are same except bore/stroke. Have the 3/4 ton 4×4 with all parts believe will need to resurrect it as well plus the all manual no computer, no electronic controls 6×6 diesel only need a battery to crank it. It might push it's way or take off road options due to tremendous ground clearance designed for maintaining power line cuts.

Odds are it will be the folks on small lightweight bikes that are most nimble and able to get from A to B. If driving my trucks, half or more of my cargo space is going to be taken up with extra fuel. Won't be rolling into Quick Trip and topping off when need. A 2.5 gallon jug on rear fender luggage rack and full tank of fuel gives me a 500 mile range on my 1948 hummers and 400 on my 1956 magneto models. Draining a half gallon or so out of abandoned vehicle would be huge for the little bikes but nothing for the trucks.

Make sure if your Harley's are post Evo have spare computer and lots of relays. If Evo's (Shovels as well) a few spare starter relays will be nice as they crap out on me regularly in nice conditions as well as a starter due inability to kick start. Unless you have older bike with kick start or big enough hill to roll off a V Twin need to look at your systems closely. I believe our late model bikes won't survive an EMP, too much crap on them to go wrong. Discovered if headlight goes out on our new bike the computer shuts it down till replaced unless know how to bypass which takes some circuitry to build a board to spoof the computer. Finding a headlight is easier... Too many safety devices on anything made after 1999.

Exit308 January 21, 2018 10:15

I plan to be reduced to 'walking'.:wink:

edit to add:

Nature designed the foot for walking and running, the hands for grasping, manipulating, and working.
Man designed the accelerator, brake and clutch peddles to fit the foot, not the foot to fit the peddles.

If all the conveniences go away, be prepared to do what needs to be done with less convenience.

kotengu January 21, 2018 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exit308 (Post 4529071)
I plan to be reduced to 'walking'.:wink:

edit to add:

Nature designed the foot for walking and running, the hands for grasping, manipulating, and working.
Man designed the accelerator, brake and clutch peddles to fit the foot, not the foot to fit the peddles.

If all the conveniences go away, be prepared to do what needs to be done with less convenience.

Yep. Owning horses is a plus too. Although mine are fat, lazy, and spoiled.

idsubgun January 21, 2018 12:12

I honestly don't plan to bug out to anywhere. We bought property in the woods of the Ozarks, so we live in what most people consider a bug out location.

frankxtc January 21, 2018 13:30

We have a couple of 1980's Mercedes Diesels. Very simple cars, fuel system is completely mechanical. Pretty durable too, if given proper maintenance. One has about 350k miles, the other has about 200k miles. Still clacking!

hueyville January 21, 2018 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankxtc (Post 4529156)
We have a couple of 1980's Mercedes Diesels. Very simple cars, fuel system is completely mechanical. Pretty durable too, if given proper maintenance. One has about 350k miles, the other has about 200k miles. Still clacking!

And except for odd part here and there will clack and clunk near about forever. Just finished with new ring and pinion, all bearimgs, seals, etc in differemtial. New bearings and seals in rear axles plus new brake shoes. While truck was up and waiting on ALL U.S. made parts scraped bottom of truck with scraper and wire brush plus then hosed down good with case of brake cleaner. Greased every fitting from front to back, topped off fluids in transmission and transfer case. (Each took a good table spoon or two)

Tomorrow going to pull some more fresh wiring for radios, tidy up some wiring been redoing under the hood. Swapped all wiring for ham radio equipment to Power Poles and put a few more ferrite beads here and there. Changed my bond from body to frame using plated flat copper braided straps instead of round cables. Also grounded my exhaust system to frame as realized nowhere did it actually have a proper bond. Hung using rubber gizwillies to keep rattles down and some form of gasket where connects to motor and other points so except for manifold bolts and knowing there is another seal where pipes connect to exhaust manifolds grounded exhaust at two different points to frame.

Replaced the cable as backup grounding for engine with a new plated copper braided flat strap as well. Connected bed to cab at two points, pulled a strap from the hood to front fender and both fenders to frame. Since its been over 25 years since did all the original common bonding work figured it was time to redo and upgrade using straps with lower inductance than round battery cables of which some the crimps were highly corroded. Pulled a strap from frame up to the tool box where most antennas are mounted and HF antenna is mounted on steel bracket bolted to frame. Tomorrow going to work on door hinges, driver side locking mechanism as beginning to show wear along with replace ground wires with straps.

Till you have run a myriad of radios and high end stereo without proper bonding then with it it's hard for some to understand the reason for the effort. It all works better when get it all at same ground potential. Past year done new CV axles front, clutch/pressure plate/throw out bearing, transfer case chain and seals plus had drive shafts serviced with new universals and rebalanced. Plan to do shocks front and back along with new ball joints, tie rod ends and some other front end/steering components by spring. Then just wait for motor to say it's too tired or drops a valve and put in crate motor so have a reason to paint it.

Have no desire for any of the new trucks have looked at. Only trucks have seen that would buy are basically same models already have but with less miles and not driven as fleet trucks but who knows what the service record is on most. Have no house payment, no vehicle payments and no business payments on building or equipment. That's fiscal survival to me. Figure a crate motor and paint job along with regular service and the Dakota will last rest of my life. Need to go through my 97 Ram as have done transmission , differentials and suspension but the 360 is tired. A/C still blows cold and didn't want to crack the system till needed but looks like the radiator, condesor, transmission cooler and engine are acting like they all want to give up at any minute. Truck pulled trailers and campers most m of its life as drive the Dakotas when don't need to haul something big or a trailer.

The diesel just needs a lift pump every 100,000 miles, regular service and brakes every 35,000 miles. It's almost touching 300,000 miles which all others are well past and drives/rides like new. Clearcoat is starting to give up so may paint it over the summer and be done with it for life except service and tires. Best thing about having four trucks in a two driver family and doing good service can drive them a long time. No one vehicles sees all of either of our driving plus motorcycles carried wife more than any truck until the bone disease got a good hold on her. We still have plenty of bikes from 1940's to recent models.

Friend who is full time mechanic came by after church and helped with the rear end and drives a square body 1 ton Dodge 4×4 with all mechanical Cummins. Had to make him decals for each end that say "this truck is not for sale". He uses it to pull two tractors to an antique tractor pull every other weekend and while unloaded enters the truck into the truck division and wins against dedicated trucks tat arrived on trailers most times. He has a Ford F600 with all mechanical Cummins and it's like new. Has to fight people off it like his old Dodge who want to buy. Have about decided that if someone gave me a new truck don't know if I would trust it any farther from house than willing to walk. Can tell every time something is odd before any of my trucks break after driving them all 20 to 30 years now.

raubvogel February 10, 2018 09:07

You now made me miss my old Mercedes diesel

Whydah February 10, 2018 10:34

I think Obama's "Cash for clunkers" really put a dent in the availability of older vehicles. I've been looking for late 70's and earlier trucks for some time. They can be had, but the prices for what they are are just outrageous in my area. Many would require a significant investment in parts and labor to bring them back to what you might consider reliable. Jeeps? My first new vehicle was a '73 Jeep CJ5. Cost new, $3200. Passenger seat, top, lock-out hubs all extra. Can't believe what the things are selling for these days... even the older ones.

Never really considered a duel-purpose older motorcycle. Better than peddling a bike and a damn sight better than walking!

longhair51 February 10, 2018 15:59

I just traded a FAL and an AR for this. A 1994, 7.3 IDI diesel, that is the last of the Ford all mechanical diesels. No computer, no electronics to control the fuel injectors, just a 12 volt line from the battery to run the whole thing.

http://i66.tinypic.com/mto5sl.jpg
http://i65.tinypic.com/zlrdxs.jpg

hueyville February 10, 2018 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whydah (Post 4539053)
I think Obama's "Cash for clunkers" really put a dent in the availability of older vehicles. I've been looking for late 70's and earlier trucks for some time. They can be had, but the prices for what they are are just outrageous in my area. Many would require a significant investment in parts and labor to bring them back to what you might consider reliable. Jeeps? My first new vehicle was a '73 Jeep CJ5. Cost new, $3200. Passenger seat, top, lock-out hubs all extra. Can't believe what the things are selling for these days... even the older ones.

Never really considered a duel-purpose older motorcycle. Better than peddling a bike and a damn sight better than walking!

Cash for clunkers was a long term strategical move. Not economic stimulus or anything to help Americans. A good mechanical diesel and a old dual sport bike or two plus a good set of boots then your pretty well set for about any conditions. Unless tried riding a bicycle with pack and gear suggest try it before consider it an alternative.

Wil-C February 11, 2018 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whydah (Post 4539053)

all of the older cars & bikes are going up fast as people are starting to realize the advantage they offer, ease of repair & maint at a fraction of what modern cars cost to repair. Also they can be upgraded easily & at very low cost for better gas mileage given in a lot of areas those cars & trucks are now smog exempt. That means all the smog parts which hamper their efficiency can be removed and the engine upgraded for better fuel economy.
The other factor is reproduction parts & the internet. 20+ years ago you couldn't find parts for a lot of the older cars & bikes, a guy two streets over might have a garage full of what you need but you had no way of knowing it.
Now a person can get on the internet and find just about anything they need and those cars & bikes biggest drawback has been removed.
Consequently people want them again and there's only a finite amount of them left out there anymore.
You are correct in that they do need a lot of work to bring them back to reliable condition & that's why older cars & bikes that've been refurbished command high prices.

That `79 XL 250 for $1000 in that condition? I would have jumped on that sale in a heartbeat.
As it is if I find a CT110 in the same condition for about the same price I'm grabbing it on the spot.

The lowly VW beetle in good condition, have you priced those cars nowadays? A turn-key `65 beetle will cost you $5000+ closer to $8000
Even before I painted it & did the mechanical & electrical people were offering me good money for my `70.
I get the same comments over & over again "I had one of these & sold it and I wish now I never did, they don't make them like these anymore"
The strangest thing is the women's reaction, they ask me " it's so cute, did you fix this up yourself?" when I tell them I did all of it, I get 'that look'
Nobody cares it doesn't have A/C, GPS, whatever damned modern widgets.
They know how durable that little car is and how easy it is to keep running.

The point of having something which can survive EMP is at some point post-event, people will have the need to travel. Haul something, move something, get to whatever marketplace might exist, etc. Travel for a while would be too dangerous but at some point a workable level of stability will return in terms of safety, availability of fuel, etc. The older iron will be what comes back first given it wasn't wiped out by an EMP and likely the only thing that'll come back from an event such as that in term of running vehicles.

W.E.G. February 11, 2018 15:37

If you are so close to an EMP that the severity of the pulse is great enough to permanently disable your car's electronics, the fact that your car won't start is going to be the least of your worries.

W.E.G. February 11, 2018 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by longhair51 (Post 4539186)
I just traded a FAL and an AR for this. A 1994, 7.3 IDI diesel, that is the last of the Ford all mechanical diesels. No computer, no electronics to control the fuel injectors, just a 12 volt line from the battery to run the whole thing.

Man, you'll never be able to park that in the Whole Foods parking lot!

bill3542 February 11, 2018 16:46

http://www.mopartruckparts.com/gallery/g351.html

this is my 1976 ex-military M880 3/4 ton 4x4 Dodge Power Wagon a few years back, we have added LED driving driving lights and changed the paint scheme a bit since then but i've had this truck since 1991 and carry plenty of spare electrical parts for the old girl.
cab has been rebuilt since then and both doors replaced and it just keeps going up in value.:D

longhair51 February 11, 2018 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by W.E.G. (Post 4539556)
Man, you'll never be able to park that in the Whole Foods parking lot!

Yeah, but it would be fun watching all of the snowflakes have various bodily malfunctions if I did park it there.

jhend170 February 12, 2018 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by W.E.G. (Post 4539555)
If you are so close to an EMP that the severity of the pulse is great enough to permanently disable your car's electronics, the fact that your car won't start is going to be the least of your worries.

This^^^^

The biggest problem with the EMP will not be your vehicle, it will be the power grid after the fact. Here in Houston we are a MAJOR target for all kinds of things, most notably ICBMs to our oil refining and chemical production facilities to the east of town. What I haven't seen is the effective range of an actual EMP or the side effect of a nuke, but as I'm 40 miles from the epicenter of our petro/chem production I don't think it's likely I'll get reached here, even within the city limits. Vehicular function is low on my worries list.

With that though diesels only make sense. While mine is new (2016) dad's is an '02 SD FX4 with the 7.3. You can damn near fill up at McDs with it. Mine will run on 20% bio, but will also run on any farm or equipment grade. Essentially every farm and construction site around has their own tank, so scavenging it would be far easier than gas, were it necessary. If you do come into veg oil it can be made to equate to production diesel as well, with just a little chemistry (lye and ethanol) and knowledge. Handy byproduct is glycerin, with a few uses that might be necessary in an apocalyptic scenario (BOOM!).

Nomad, 2nd February 12, 2018 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by W.E.G. (Post 4539555)

A few years back we (the earth) missed being in the path of a Coronal Mass Ejection (nature's EMP) By less than a week.
We would of been back in the 1800's overnight. ... but without infastructure that's existed for ~400 years (seriously, look into the ice industry alone)

I don't look at it as a high probably, but the possibility is real.

I don't put it as a HIGH