The FAL Files

The FAL Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ammunition (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Soft Point 7.62 X 51 RADWAY GREEN (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344542)

MK ULTRA January 13, 2013 18:16

Soft Point 7.62 X 51 RADWAY GREEN

Anyone ever seen any soft point 7.62 X 51 radway green on strippers in bandolers. I have some I got like that awhile back.

Anyone know the history?

I'll have to check but I think it has the NATO cross. SP would not be legal for battle would it?? Suppose to use FMJ in battle.

thanks

ammolab January 14, 2013 20:15

Hirtenburger (a Radway Green Contract supplier) loaded some Soft Points in GI Brass in the 1980s or so. These were brought into the US and other places... from European Police Stocks most likely.

This ammo was in 20rd boxes so someone could have put the rounds on strippers. Of course someone could have pulled GI bullets and replaced them with some soft point ones.

JasonB January 14, 2013 22:02

Think it is just Radway Green that someone figured out a way to crack a little of the copper tip off(it looked about the same as Norinco 7.62x39 "soft points") to expose the lead to deceive customers due to HP being a more recognizeable name than RG. The stuff I bought had a piss poor Hirtenberger knock off label on it that when peeled off carefully would expose the original marking which indicated it was L2A2. Or at least that was the berdan variant since there was also (according to adds selling the HP "hunting ammo") a boxer type they were peddling.

LAFAL January 16, 2013 13:36

All my .308 hunting ammo is RG that's had the 150gr FMJBT removed and a Hornady BTSP set on it and recrimped.

MajHenryWest January 20, 2013 16:12

As for a knock off label, was that the stuff packed in 20rd Military brown cardboard boxes with a red label with "Hirtenberger Patronen 150gr Softpoint" and the HP in circle logo on it?

I still have some of it somewhere, I think.

JasonB January 20, 2013 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajHenryWest (Post 3523627)

As for a knock off label, was that the stuff packed in 20rd Military brown cardboard boxes with a red label with "Hirtenberger Patronen 150gr Softpoint" and the HP in circle logo on it?

Can't recall the color, but the wording and logo sound right. And it was of very poor quality....kind of a copy of a copy look to it. At the time I thought it was just a Euro thing vs. slick US commercial packaging.

yovinny January 20, 2013 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajHenryWest (Post 3523627)

I had some of that, and it was HOT,,or their primers sucked.
It would produce flattened, pierced primers at the rate of about 4-6 rds per box.
When every other ammo worked fine and firing pin protrusion was spot on.