The FAL Files

The FAL Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   Gear & Accessories (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   "running boots"? (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428092)

Incognito May 28, 2018 21:23

"running boots"?
 
What are some good options for "running boots"? Something that is easier to run in than combat boots but that will support your ankles and hold up better than running shoes?

madmax_fal May 29, 2018 19:11

Something like these? Garmont NFS boots https://uspatriottactical.com/garmon...te-t8-nfs-498/

Texgunner May 29, 2018 20:23

I bet these might work. I've had two pair and they are very light weight and comfortable. They do feel more like a shoe than a boot when laced up.

https://www.amazon.com/BLACKHAWK-Bla.../dp/B00Z5IIACC

yellowhand May 29, 2018 20:46

"Doc" here says don't do it, but with 7 combined knee operations, I might be a little jaded in one direction over the other.:biggrin::facepalm:;)

We ran five or six miles every morning at Bragg in jump boots, looked great, :biggrin: still in pain 45 years later.:facepalm:

Old fashioned "jungle boots" with those Dr. Scholl inserts maybe??

Incognito May 30, 2018 15:28

Both of those look about like what I am thinking of. I just wanted to hear from anyone with first hand experience running in this kind of boot which ones are good. There are so many options out there to choose from I am just looking to narrow the field. Thanks!

medicmike May 30, 2018 15:49

511 has some pretty decent looking options

https://www.511tactical.com/halcyon-...alth-boot.html

I have had a pair of their Recon Trainers for about 18 months and seem to be holding up well.

W.E.G. May 30, 2018 16:50

1 Attachment(s)
I've been wearing the Under Armour "Wall Hanger" boot for a few years now.

LINK: https://tinyurl.com/ycub4a3t

Very lightweight.

Sole is a bit slippery on flat wet surfaces is my biggest complaint.

100% waterproof.

Uppers are real leather, so they don't melt-through if it catches a few welding sparks.

Think of it as a glorified waterproof high-top court shoe.

I don't care for the tennis-ball-yellow border on the Under Armour logo, so I blacked it out with a sharpie.

Doesn't look like army-boot, cop-boot, or skinhead-boot.

Longevity is consistent with any high-top athletic shoe.

Offered in mid-height size shown and also a slightly taller size in case you are crossing deeper waters.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/attac...1&d=1527716996

Invictus77 May 30, 2018 16:55

Nothing I do would be considered running. More like slogging at best (slow jog), but I have put many a mile on these from Wolverine and like them a lot.

https://www.wolverine.com/US/en/claw...upw92gh5lm3h5r

W.E.G. May 30, 2018 17:09

1 Attachment(s)
Just checked the Under Armour site.

Looks like the "Wall Hanger" model is discontinued.

Current offerings look to be of the queerfoot design.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/attac...1&d=1527718140

genethepoolcleaner June 01, 2018 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by W.E.G. (Post 4588819)
Just checked the Under Armour site.

Looks like the "Wall Hanger" model is discontinued.

Current offerings look to be of the queerfoot design.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/attac...1&d=1527718140

+1

imacoonass01 June 01, 2018 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by W.E.G. (Post 4588819)
Current offerings look to be of the queerfoot design.

:spew::cheers:

AFeod June 02, 2018 08:40

Rocky s2v.

Great light weight boot, made in USA with a vibram sole. I’m in boots 90% of the time, these are my light pt boots.

imacoonass01 June 02, 2018 09:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFeod (Post 4589873)
Rocky s2v.

Great light weight boot, made in USA with a vibram sole. Iím in boots 90% of the time, these are my light pt boots.

Looks like nice boots. They don't come in a Zip up style.:sad: These are the ones I use daily. I took out the insole(horrible) and put some Amp insoles. Great comfortable boots. Like Invictus77, I am a slogger at best.:tongue:

https://www.amazon.com/Reebok-Work-R...5ES&th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Georgia-Mens-...BDC&th=1&psc=1

hueyville June 05, 2018 12:58

Under Armor Post Canyon Mid-height might be a good option. Know two people using them with good reports. Both are long distance trail runners and climbers and use them for approach shoes or light runs with light packs on rough terrain.

MACV June 06, 2018 21:49

Why would you think about running, unless someone is chasing you?

yellowhand June 06, 2018 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by MACV (Post 4591799)
Why would you think about running, unless someone is chasing you?

Finally, a voice of reason!!!!!:bow:

If its running away from you, just leave it be.

If its chasing you, you should have taken out more ammo on basic load.:D

Texgunner June 06, 2018 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowhand (Post 4591814)
Finally, a voice of reason!!!!!:bow:

If its running away from you, just leave it be.

If its chasing you, you should have taken out more ammo on basic load.:D

I like the way you think. Uh huh. :biggrin:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MFAg-O_ulKg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

slavicshooter June 07, 2018 19:27

I've had very, very poor luck with these. Don't fall for the safety sole/toe sales pitch like I did.~ss
https://s33.postimg.cc/rry0oywcf/Scr...607-192333.jpg

Texgunner June 07, 2018 19:52

Nice dancing pumps ss! :rofl:

Been thinking 'bout OP's question a bit; I seldom ever run anymore, but I do walk at a brisk pace sometimes. :)

Growler Gator June 08, 2018 10:39

I wear Salomon boots for almost evey activity: work, shooting, camping, hiking, yard work etc. They are very comfortable and last me a long time. Most models are available in Gore-tex or no Gore-Tex. Most models are availble in subdued colors like black, tan, and OD and are called Salomon Forces boots, but the same boots are also available in brighter colors for sports and civilian use. They are expensive, but US Elite Gear has military and LE discounts and has routine sales of about 25% off.

For work I prefer Salomon Forces XA Pro 3D Mid GTX, Black:
https://www.us-elitegear.com/collect...nt=34614781518


For shooting, camping, hiking I prefer Salomon Forces Quest GTX, Black:
https://www.us-elitegear.com/collect...t=528275669006


Other models:
https://www.us-elitegear.com/collections/footwear

Atla June 21, 2018 08:30

I use USMC cold-weather boots still. I have a couple pairs left over and after running so many miserable miles in them - I stick to them out of experience.

I use the cold-weather boots because they are waterproof. :)

In hot temps, I don't notice any difference between them and the jungles... except I don't get water inside.

Tak April 25, 2019 17:20

Sorry to necro this thread but Did you ever find a good pair of running boots?

I am looking for some now to use for Run & Gun events this year.

My steel toe wolverines won't cut it. Great for around the yard but running 5K's in them, I'll feel like Herman Munster.

Im trying to find something decent for under $100 bucks since I'm on a tight budget trying to gear up for competition for the first time.

7.92 Dreamin April 25, 2019 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tak (Post 4729735)
Sorry to necro this thread but Did you ever find a good pair of running boots?

Any of the new lightweight tactical boots that have popped up in the last 6 years or so would probably work well for you-- most of the major companies have a light boot offering with high mobility in mind.. Nike SFBs (dunno bout the latest ones) feel very similar to shoes when running. I've ran with Danner Tachyons and they work well too. Rocky C4Ts are another option i've seen plenty of people run in.
These are all 100-150 dollar boots, but if you get lucky with the sizing and availability you can nab a pair within your price range.
Just understand you'll be trading a certain amount of ankle support and long term durability in exchange for a pair of boots that weighs less than some chuck taylors

Tak April 26, 2019 16:22

I took a chance and went with some Sketchers! Hiking boots, they were on sale at Kohl's and with 'Kohl's cash' (which I swear is like crack for women) my wifey picked them up for like 10 bucks.

https://image.skechers.com/img/produ...65754_CHAR.jpg

guess they are being discontinued so were on sale for $65 bucks. Basically a running shoe with a little more ankle support and slightly beefier sole and upper.

I guess at this price if they last only a few years not a big deal.

Abominog April 26, 2019 20:02

Any newer style lightweight boot from Danker, rocky, 511, etc. ergonomics advanced greatly in the past five years. The GTX get rave reviews though Iíve not tried them. But then again my boots are for walking not running. Much.

Get what fits. My favorites are Danner Pronghorn. I finally called Danner and asked why my Pronghorn fit like a young lover while my Acadia are tight. Itís called the last which determines the shape and size of the boot. Oddly enough the arenít the same even within Danner. The Pronghorn and Tachyon use the same last, the Acadia a different last, so despite same mfg and same size they donít fit the same. Effing really.

So find what feels best.

Incognito April 29, 2019 09:52

I bought a pair of Salomon boots. Now I don't think I will ever wear anything else. I wear these things every day at work, on the weekends, hiking, shooting, to church. By far the most comfortable shoes/boots I have ever owned. When my Brooks running shoes wear out I am going to buy Salomon running shoes. I took these Salomons hiking in the Alps in Europe last year and they were fantastic.

I have two issues with my right foot; neuroma and a heel spur. I do not suffer from either when I am wearing these boots. I cannot even describe how well they fit and support my foot and ankle.

Texgunner April 29, 2019 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Growler Gator (Post 4592491)
I wear Salomon boots for almost evey activity: work, shooting, camping, hiking, yard work etc. They are very comfortable and last me a long time. Most models are available in Gore-tex or no Gore-Tex. Most models are availble in subdued colors like black, tan, and OD and are called Salomon Forces boots, but the same boots are also available in brighter colors for sports and civilian use. They are expensive, but US Elite Gear has military and LE discounts and has routine sales of about 25% off.

For work I prefer Salomon Forces XA Pro 3D Mid GTX, Black:
https://www.us-elitegear.com/collect...nt=34614781518


For shooting, camping, hiking I prefer Salomon Forces Quest GTX, Black:
https://www.us-elitegear.com/collect...t=528275669006


Other models:
https://www.us-elitegear.com/collections/footwear

Quote:

Originally Posted by Incognito (Post 4731021)
I bought a pair of Salomon boots. Now I don't think I will ever wear anything else. I wear these things every day at work, on the weekends, hiking, shooting, to church. By far the most comfortable shoes/boots I have ever owned. When my Brooks running shoes wear out I am going to buy Salomon running shoes. I took these Salomons hiking in the Alps in Europe last year and they were fantastic.

I have two issues with my right foot; neuroma and a heel spur. I do not suffer from either when I am wearing these boots. I cannot even describe how well they fit and support my foot and ankle.

After reading these two suggestions, I took a look at the Salomon boots. They do seem pretty impressive and worth a try for sure. I liked this model:

https://www.us-elitegear.com/collect...nt=34614772622

Abominog April 29, 2019 16:08

Thanks to this thread I ordered Danner Tachyon which supposedly have an exta wide box and are on sale for $75! We will see. For every day warm weather hiking they have to be better than my POS Merrillís.

Talking to the reps at Rocky about jungle boots they suggested theirs, and I informed them that their ďjungleĒ boots wouldnít be worth a damn in the jungle.

Tex, waiting for a report on your Solomons. From the photos looks like the sides of the sole are too soft and round for jungle use. The Danner Acadia hot weather boots are crap in the jungle, too much lining to stay wet. Thus far the only boots Iíd wear in the jungle are Altamas, with studs screwed into the Panama sole.

Course I took this off topic. So we can compare notes about ďrunningĒ boots as we break them in. I suppose the benchmark is the GTX which gets rave reviews from hikers...who donít use them in the swamp or jungle. So many environments, so few great boots.

Texgunner April 30, 2019 06:43

I haven't bought them yet 'Nog. I'm still using the Blackhawks I mentioned in post #3, and very happy with them. But, when they wear out, the Salomons look like a serious contender. Comparing the two boots, it looks like the Blackhawk boot may have more aggressive soles.

1769 May 07, 2019 21:20

I've got a pair of Merrill Tactical. Very comfortable.

Tak May 07, 2019 21:52

I found my new hikers comfortable enough for quick walking but the first time I tried to jog in them, the next day my knees really hurt.

Could just be because I haven't run in many, many, many years. Or they're just not suited for running on concrete surfaces and may be just fine for off-road running. I switched to my New Balance running shoes the next run and was fine the next day. No good place to run on dirt or grass trails right around here, everything is concrete or paved asphalt paths. :facepalm:

Guess I'll see.

Texgunner May 08, 2019 07:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tak (Post 4734358)
I found my new hikers comfortable enough for quick walking but the first time I tried to jog in them, the next day my knees really hurt.

Could just be because I haven't run in many, many, many years. Or they're just not suited for running on concrete surfaces and may be just fine for off-road running. I switched to my New Balance running shoes the next run and was fine the next day. No good place to run on dirt or grass trails right around here, everything is concrete or paved asphalt paths. :facepalm:

Guess I'll see.

I hear ya. We have a paved walking path not far from our house. A few years back, I had a two-mile regimen on that path, or around the all-weather running track. One morning as I walked briskly along the concrete path, I thought "Hell, I haven't jogged in years, gonna try a little now." I broke into a trot and felt like every bone in my old body was clanging together. After about 10-15 yards of that I said "f*ck this" and went back to walking! :wink:

Bawana jim May 08, 2019 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texgunner (Post 4734431)
I hear ya. We have a paved walking path not far from our house. A few years back, I had a two-mile regimen on that path, or around the all-weather running track. One morning as I walked briskly along the concrete path, I thought "Hell, I haven't jogged in years, gonna try a little now." I broke into a trot and felt like every bone in my old body was clanging together. After about 10-15 yards of that I said "f*ck this" and went back to walking! :wink:

I believe as you get older there is a point you don't want to push yourself into a run. Running is for young men to build up their cardiovascular. Old men it beats their joints so bad that running hurts more than it helps. Some of the old guys that are thin and agile will run until they die but old guys like me are just going to keep walking two miles a day, every day.

I like the Danner boots in rough areas to walk, it's a plus to have dry feet. Yesterday I bought two pair of Danner shoes, some indoor slip ons and a good walking shoe. I have a new dog comming and just as excited as hell. Chocolate Lab, a puppy of 7 weeks.:biggrin:

Incognito May 08, 2019 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texgunner (Post 4731037)
After reading these two suggestions, I took a look at the Salomon boots. They do seem pretty impressive and worth a try for sure. I liked this model:

https://www.us-elitegear.com/collect...nt=34614772622

Those look good. These are the ones I got and I wear them all the time. I found mine on Ebay new for $75. I am now looking for a good deal on some Salomon running shoes.

kotengu May 16, 2019 05:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tak (Post 4734358)
I found my new hikers comfortable enough for quick walking but the first time I tried to jog in them, the next day my knees really hurt.

Could just be because I haven't run in many, many, many years. Or they're just not suited for running on concrete surfaces and may be just fine for off-road running. I switched to my New Balance running shoes the next run and was fine the next day. No good place to run on dirt or grass trails right around here, everything is concrete or paved asphalt paths. :facepalm:

Guess I'll see.

I did my first 10k RNG in combat boots (Danners) and couldn't walk right for a week. I switched to trail running shoes and never looked back -

Abominog May 16, 2019 09:13

The Danner Tachyon I just got: first thought was OMG these are light! Second thought was they are made from Japanese rice paper.

They are effectively Converse sneakers with a light boot top. Not a running boot, and certainly not up to serious hiking. However, they are light and collapse nicely, so are ideal for packing in a suitcase.

brunop May 16, 2019 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotengu (Post 4737589)
I did my first 10k RNG in combat boots (Danners) and couldn't walk right for a week. I switched to trail running shoes and never looked back -

As Matt ^ knows, a bunch of guys running in these Run 'n' Guns (10K with ~40lbs. of gear and various shooting stages along the way...) are wearing trail running shoes or boots by Salomon (sp?) and the other trail running specific offerings.

Lots of people are spending money, sweat, and blood on this question. I'd find some reviews - which are everywhere people are talking Run 'n' Gun.

As the Doc said up above - don't run in hiking boots. Carry heavy loads in stiff (hard) and supportive boots. Run in running shoes or trail runners.

Tak May 19, 2019 12:20

I've pretty much determined the problem wasn't my hiking boots, its just being (sorta) old.

Even with the running shoes, and adjusting the way I run down to more of a jog/run without the big strides to try and reduce impact, damn knees still very sore the night/next day after running.

I found an area I can run on dirt/soft dirt/grass (though some areas are covered with fist to walnut sized rocks) in the wooded margins between the subdivisions and along what looks like a rough service road for the power lines (and a plowed but not yet developed spot for a future subdivision road). I don't know how many miles I covered yesterday, felt like maybe 2 compared to my normal street route, took just under 40 minutes. Some steep hills and a long steady shallow uphill stretch too. The boots were comfy enough, I'll see how my damn knees feel later today. The terrain is too rough for running type shoes.

Last night I was hobbling around like I was about 80 instead of about 50. I don't know if my body will adapt or not. I only started at the beginning of May. :zombie:

The body is willing, the muscles are willing, even the lungs are willing. Just the damn knees have to cooperate !

Bawana jim May 21, 2019 17:17

My running days are over, at 67 I can't take a chance at injury because old guys don't heal quickly. My friend worked on his feet all his life and ended up having both knees replaced. He can't bend his legs good enough to get in a vehicle by himself. At 83 he still gets around ok.

Incognito May 30, 2019 10:06

I finally have a pair of Salomon running shoes. I used them for the first time on my 4 mile run this morning and I love them as much as I love the Salomon boots that I have been wearing every day for the past year. I went for a 6 mile run last week in my Salomon boots and it felt not much different than running in my previous Brooks running shoes. My feet were not sore afterwards at all.

I have not yet started running with a load but I will as soon as my two broken ribs are completely healed. But I am now Salomon's biggest fan. I don't think I will ever buy any other running shoes, hiking boots, and everyday shoes other than Salomon. I will still use Danners and similar leather boots for heavy working because as well as the Salomons are made I don't think they are designed to hold up to the abrasions and abuse that I give boots when doing work like cutting wood etc. My Danner leather work boots have deep cuts and gouges in them from hedge thorns and who knows what all else and the Salomon lightweight material would probably get shredded if used in that environment.

juliemack169 June 03, 2019 01:43

Dear I saw many on Amazon, Reecoupons and Ebay if you still want must once check there.

Incognito June 03, 2019 08:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by juliemack169 (Post 4744573)
Dear I saw many on Amazon, Reecoupons and Ebay if you still want must once check there.

Yes, I got mine on Ebay. There were many listings but I am also cheap so I wanted them at a good price. I finally was able to get a new pair for $50.

0302 June 24, 2019 22:06

I found a pair o under armor lightweight boots at the lake. Cleaned the black widows out and they are great. Found an iPhone 7 too. I saw the same boots at the mall in Lawton, $90.
Gear adrift is a gift.

thomaspanton July 16, 2019 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by slavicshooter (Post 4592232)
I've had very, very poor luck with these. Don't fall for the safety sole/toe sales pitch like I did.~ss
https://s33.postimg.cc/rry0oywcf/Scr...607-192333.jpg

Wow!! Really, beautiful shoes.

thomaspanton July 18, 2019 06:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by W.E.G. (Post 4588819)
Just checked the Under Armour site.

Looks like the "Wall Hanger" model is discontinued.

Current offerings look to be of the queerfoot design.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/attac...1&d=1527718140

+1


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:09.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2018 The FAL Files