The FAL Files

The FAL Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Firearms Discussion (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   How many want a US made FAL mag? (Pics & videos added) (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285655)

moses March 30, 2010 17:40

How many want a US made FAL mag? (Pics & videos added)

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2879/9...f1340d11_z.jpg

ORDERS are now being taken on the website @ www.mosesmag.com

Today is June 8th 2013, production run should be happening this coming week!!!!

More details later this weekend!!!
Coloradans please email me @ gjohnnygun@yahoo.com to order!
I will be giving our Colorado brothers a few days to order before I open it up to everyone since they are facing a deadline on buying regular capacity mags.

Just got back from the molders around midnite tonite and picked up the revised mags and all the revisions I had made came out great!!!! Even better than I ever expected!!!

From initial tests the mags are functioning flawlessly by hand cycling!!!!!!!! To say I am extremely happy would be a gross understatement!!!!!!!!!

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5484/9...016b69244e.jpg

VIDEO'S of test firing the magazine are on page 12, 13, 15 and 16

PICTURES ADDED ON PAGE 9.

JUST ADDED SOME PICS OF THE MOLDS BEING MADE ON PAGE 10

Just thought I would update this first post. December, 22 2010

I am doing 20 rd mags and the molds are being made now!

If all goes as planned I will be doing 25 rd mags next.

I am not posting any pics yet until I have all patents and trademarks taken care of, but these look really cool!!!!!

Below is the original post.

I am seriously considering having some FAL mags made.
They would be synthetic not steel, I would like them to be basically the equivalent of a Pmag for FAL's.

These mags would count as 3 US parts towards 922r.

I need to see if the market is large enough to warrant the start up costs for the molds and other things involved.

How many of you would buy a quality US made polymer mag and how many would you buy?

I am guessing cost would be between $20 and $25

I am probably going to do 20 and 25rd mags to begin with if this happens.

However let me know what round capacity you would prefer.

I have been getting quite a few requests for 25 rd mags.

Curious what the consensous is on how you guys would like these to look?

More like a traditional FAL mag with a few added gripping enhancements or with more ribs/designs on the entire surface.

DYNOMIKE March 30, 2010 18:30

Sorry can't participate in the polls (never could?)..

But I would buy 5 if they were made available....

molotov March 30, 2010 18:51

I'll say three, but I would probably wind up with five so that's how I voted.

Every time I get some mags they have weak springs. That costs about 20 bucks for three wolff replacements.

I'm all for a works donut straight out the package.

jcornss March 30, 2010 19:37

I would be in for a couple to try out. Once I found that they worked well I would probably buy more.

torquemada055 March 30, 2010 19:48

If and it's a BIG IF, they are as good as Pmags I would pony up the 250 +tax and s&h to get 10.
Probably need more since I have a few FALs in the house.

aezcur March 30, 2010 21:17

Hi Moses,
Great initiative! I already have two FALs :tongue: so I will need 10 (ten) mags to start:bow:

GOVT1911 March 30, 2010 21:48

I'd buy a couple (2-3) to begin with, maybe more if I really liked them.

Now, I'd really like to see this happen, but I can't in good concience say "I'll buy 10!!!!!" just to get it there. LOL I would definately buy at least 2 at that price point, just to check'em out.

biggun March 30, 2010 22:29

I thought DSA was in the process of bringing new mags to market???????

aezcur March 30, 2010 22:41

Quote:

Originally posted by biggun
I thought DSA was in the process of bringing new mags to market???????
Yeah....I heard that EONS ago....there is no serious commitment to a timeline...no definitive date on WHEN are they going to be available.

moses March 30, 2010 23:18

Yes DSA is and has been working on steel FAL mags.

If I do this I am gonna do it right, I am not gonna settle for cheap feeling unreliable mags.
I will be striving for the equivilant of Pmag quality for the FAL!

ThunderGod March 31, 2010 00:45

What about the beak and notch? Metal inserts? If not, those are primary "fail" points, due to shock or wear.

Czechsix March 31, 2010 01:53

If they work out, I'd easily be in for ten, and probably more.

What I'd really like to see is a lightweight 30 rounder though......

moses March 31, 2010 01:54

Probably won't have metal inserts but with all the advances in polymers now I don't think they will be needed.

If this happens the mags will have a lifetime warranty to the original owner.

STGThndr March 31, 2010 02:35

Ten for me if they look good... or ten more of the euro's, whichever.

WarriorPoet March 31, 2010 07:30

I polled for 5...........but would probably end up getting 10 in the long run.

If the mags are as good as your FAL builds.......we'll have nothin' to worry about :)

Now the race is ON. Who can produce U.S. made FAL mags first? DSA - which is trouble-shooting their product - or Moses' vaporware uber-mags (VUMs, for short) :D :D :D

(am secretly rootin' for Moses, of course!)

-WP

MAINER March 31, 2010 10:41

Can't vote, never could, donno why?

Anyway, I'd order 5.
I like my PMAGS and 3 US parts would let me gear up the L1A1's with origional parts. "Cept for the metric receivers o'course.

A "window" would be nice, but not absolutely necessary.

mashed68 March 31, 2010 11:19

I voted two. I'll end up buying more, but I can't spend more then $50 on mags at any one time, just dosen't feel right to me when I need so much ammo still.

hagar March 31, 2010 13:05

Maybe you can outsource it to FNH! They may be looking for extra work pretty soon...:eek:

dakdak March 31, 2010 13:23

I would buy 10 possibly 20 if they have the quality you describe.

MBrady March 31, 2010 14:57

If they are PMAG quality, I'll be down for 8, plus the mandatory back ups :wink: !

moses March 31, 2010 15:41

I have a meeting with the injection moulding company next week!

Hagar what's up with FNH?

embatp March 31, 2010 17:53

johnny...

i put down for five.....would these have a "pmag" type look or more of a "thermold" look? how many do you need to get it going? what else is in the works?

terry

hagar March 31, 2010 19:16

Quote:

Originally posted by moses

Hagar what's up with FNH?

If I tell you, somebody will come and shoot me...:eek:

molotov March 31, 2010 19:41

Quote:

If all goes well, how soon could we be able to buy some?

I need a few more mags and if this could happen in the next month or two I will hold off until they became available.

moses March 31, 2010 20:05

I'll know more after I meet with them, but I would think if there are no major problems encountered less than 2 months will be doable.
I will be torture testing them too so that will also take some time.

I am still working on the design of the exterior, while I would like to have a Pmag type look I think it will have to be different enough not to infringe on any patents.
I think the Thermold mags were a little plain looking and also too smooth not offering enough grip. I know it will not have the ridge like the thermolds that would interfere with the outside bottom of the magwell preventing the mag from seating.

I definitely plan on having an exterior with some ridges to aid in gripping the mag when inserting and taking it out. I also plan on the design being pleasing to the eye.

After talking to the injection molding company today and getting a ballpark figure I plan on doing this, so barring any unforeseen circumstances this will happen.

genmeagher March 31, 2010 21:36

Sorry mate, I'm in a "ban" state; NY didn't sunset...

I'll stick to the pre-94 vets out there...

JohnnyReb March 31, 2010 22:02

I'd buy 5. What color? Black? Smoke? Amber?

ThunderGod March 31, 2010 22:17

Well, unless some kind of ridges are needed for structural reinforcement, you have a lot of grip-enhancing options. You could go with something as simple as smooth, checkered, ribbed or a 'pebble-grain' EG-style, with simple, round bumps. Better yet, Morse code dots&dashes, spelling-out something relevant. Or, Or, ...

Artful March 31, 2010 23:24

I'd buy one to try and support ya. :biggrin:

yarro April 01, 2010 01:03

If I mag was as good as a PMAG, hell yes. If you offered a 25rd one, double hell yes.

-yarro

moses April 01, 2010 01:20

Probably just offer Black to start and maybe do other colors later.
I'll know more after I talk with the injection moulders about color options.

I would love to make 25 rd and 30 rd mags too but the molds are really expensive and therefore I am only doing 20 rd mags to start. If all goes well and there is enough demand I would definitely like to do the 25 and 30 rd mags later.

Super B April 01, 2010 01:50

Two 20 rounders for me. Count as 3 US parts, yes?

brunop April 01, 2010 03:13

I voted 10 because that was the most. I'd probably end up with 30 or 40 of them over a year's time. I can name ten other purchasers of 5 to 10 each who aren't on this board.

I really like PMags, and I've always thought that this would be super cool. I'm a supporter if they are quality.

pmf April 01, 2010 09:22

You need a buy zero option. What's wrong with the metal surplus mags? Are they drying up? I bought so many years ago that I don't pay attention to them anymore.

If you do make them, it might be interesting if they came in higher capacity -- like 25-round or 30-round. I know there are some 30-round mags out there, but they're kind of rare (I have a few). I'd buy some new 30-rounders, but not 20-rounders.

Scott V2 April 01, 2010 09:32

Quote:

Originally posted by pmf
You need a buy zero option. What's wrong with the metal surplus mags? Are they drying up? I bought so many years ago that I don't pay attention to them anymore.

If you do make them, it might be interesting if they came in higher capacity -- like 25-round or 30-round. I know there are some 30-round mags out there, but they're kind of rare (I have a few). I'd buy some new 30-rounders, but not 20-rounders.

I would buy them just to put the original HTS sets back in. US made HTS just do not function correctly with 100% reliability.

pmf April 01, 2010 14:21

Quote:

Originally posted by Scott V2

I would buy them just to put the original HTS sets back in. US made HTS just do not function correctly with 100% reliability.

Hmmmm, that's an interesting option. I didn't think about the U.S. made parts issue. It is kind of a shame throwing perfectly good gas pistons and H/T/S sets out to be replaced with expensive parts that aren't typically as good.

Would a mag count as three parts -- follower, body, floorplate? I know a floorplate counts as one.

mashed68 April 01, 2010 15:11

Quote:

Originally posted by pmf
Would a mag count as three parts -- follower, body, floorplate?
Yup. Its a big deal for people like me with imbel receivers which dosen't help with the US parts count. I'd like to be able to use as many stock parts as I can where it counts, and mags are not one of the "counts" spots :)

EMSflyer April 01, 2010 15:26

To set your product apart from the rest of the surplus FAL mags you should consider starting out with a 25 round polymer FAL mag.

Try to stay with a "classic" appearance so it looks correct on an FAL and not too "space age", if you know what I mean.

I always thought the Thermold mags looked terrible.

My 2 cents.

Good luck,

EMSflyer

[486] April 01, 2010 16:25

I'd go with 30 rounders as they are somewhat more uncommon, and the weight savings would be nice.

Maybe make them like the saiga 12 mags that have ribs for the follower all along the sides so you can cut them down to whatever size you want. Then you'll only have to make 30rd molds, save money there.

ETA: Can't say for sure that I'd buy any, as I'm perpetually broke these days...

DYNOMIKE April 01, 2010 17:27

I'm good with the 20's, no practical use for a 30 in most instances although it is fun in a 3-Gun match.. I have perfectly good original 30's if/when the mood strikes me..

The U.S. parts things is a Big one, I have yet to get a US H/T/S set that worked as well as an original and would like to put the Surplus parts BACK in my rifles..

longhair51 April 01, 2010 18:02

If they are PMAG quality, I would be interested in ten...maybe more after I tested/proved them out.

Hoot G April 01, 2010 19:27

I voted 5, but I'd probably buy more.

Inch, metric, or both? It seems (to my uneducated manufacturing sense) that it might be fairly easy to figure a way to use the same molds, but have a one-time install of the beak or lip.

I'd be more interested in 25 round mags. DSA will get their 20s right one day, and that might be sooner rather than later. Kel-tec is probably working on something for their bullpup. One of the AR guys is supposed to have 20 rd FAL mags soon for their AR10ish thingee.

I like the ribs on the P mags. Much more secure than checkering, or stippling, or anything else I can think of. But, I'm no expert, so YMMV.

Just some random thoughts. Feel free to use or discard at will. No consulting fee required. :biggrin:

MistWolf April 01, 2010 21:20

Keep in mind the Rock river Arms LAR-8 was designed to take FAL mags. There will be a demand there. Myself, I'd be interested in 25 & 30 round magazines at this time

Kyrottimus April 01, 2010 22:26

I'm interested in at least 5...

20's would be nice but 25's would really kick ass IMO. 30's would be a nice addition too if possible. :biggrin:

littlehoot April 02, 2010 10:54

Quote:

what he said.

i'd be in for a few, quantity dependent on price

Aifwikir April 02, 2010 12:33

Hey Moses! Have you checked out Falcon Springs yet?

:D
Aif

rangedog April 02, 2010 14:24

Iv'e got a ton of 20 rd. mags . But I would buy 10 (25 rd) Pmag quality USA mags

moses April 02, 2010 15:03

Let me know which mags you would prefer, 20 rd, 25 rd or 30 rd.

And to the people who have asked yes these mags would count as 3 US parts towards 922r.

Kyrottimus April 02, 2010 15:05

Quote:

Originally posted by moses
Let me know which mags you would prefer, 20 rd, 25 rd or 30 rd.

And to the people who have asked yes these mags would count as 3 US parts towards 922r.

I would say as there are fewest 25rd mags available that a 25rd FAL mag would be the largest niche to fill. Second priority would be 30rd followed by 20rd.

For me, 25rd mags would be most desirable. FWIW.

kfranz April 02, 2010 15:32

Quote:

Yep. I've got more surplus mags than I care to admit, but I'd still be in for five for this reason. I guess 25 rds, just to differentiate them from the 20's and 30's I've already got.