The FAL Files

The FAL Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   So.. Who actually makes decent receivers? (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422634)

ncreptile January 03, 2018 16:50

So.. Who actually makes decent receivers?

Just picked up an Aussie l1a1 on the trader and now I need a receiver. Doing research it seems DSA now sucks, but also COONAN now sucks. I do not really want to put a metric receiver on an inch gun. And I know how people look down on century receivers.

Who is currently making receivers that do not cost an arm and a leg($600+) that would be in the Aussie pattern?

I did a search on google before posting this and found only 10+ year old threads.

Ghost January 03, 2018 16:56

No body.
For Aussie you need to hunt down an older DSA, but it probably wont be under $600.
As far as I'm aware, there are no current production receivers with a good quality track record.

meltblown January 03, 2018 17:11

Enterprise ABNI? None are going to be cheap. You can roll the dice with a DSA. Send it back if it doesn't work

wanneroo January 03, 2018 18:34

I've wondered for a while, how's it so damn hard to make a quality receiver?

These guns have been around for almost 70 years so I'm not seeing what the issue is.

ActionYobbo January 03, 2018 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanneroo (Post 4521794)
I've wondered for a while, how's it so damn hard to make a quality receiver?

These guns have been around for almost 70 years so I'm not seeing what the issue is.

1 million machining steps to start with + its not a easy one to make. Level of difficulty is right at level 10. Where an M14 would be level 6 and a rem 700 would be level 1 and an ar-15 would be level 0.6 . The amount of machining and cost of machines/tooling makes it not worth the effort for for the few sales. Add to all the other hassles the heat treating that took FN a few years to get right on production guns

munchoman January 03, 2018 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by ActionYobbo (Post 4521813)
1 million machining steps to start with + its not a easy one to make. Level of difficulty is right at level 10. Where an M14 would be level 6 and a rem 700 would be level 1 and an ar-15 would be level 0.6 . The amount of machining and cost of machines/tooling makes it not worth the effort for for the few sales. Add to all the other hassles the heat treating that took FN a few years to get right on production guns

Ok, so what is DSAs excuse

paulo January 03, 2018 20:07

Danus ex had three in the MP, two DSA and one Coonan.

meltblown January 03, 2018 20:15

You'll find what you want when you get ready to either lower your expectations or save up a few more bux.

hk22045 January 03, 2018 23:45

Getting depressing

I have been reading the files for a few years now hopeing to get some info on a Israeli HB kit i have been holding for 20 years, Is there any way to build up one of these kits without spending a fortune (yes it big, heavy and clunky but still) PS my kits came with factory barrels so thats one less cost Any thoughts would be appreciated Graywolf

Trypcil January 03, 2018 23:53

hk22045

Hold out for an Imbel receiver, they come up - build it yourself or send it off to one of the reputable builders here - cost will with tools be about the same as getting it built - get it built! Good luck and do it! Imbel receiver $600+, build perhaps $350+!

Right Side Up January 04, 2018 00:21

Sadly it's not worth it to tie up a CNC machine to make an FAL receiver. Can make far more money doing other things on it.

ncreptile January 04, 2018 09:55

So were all the Coonan l1a1 receivers bad? I'm eyeballing the one in the trader due to the price but it seems everyones avoiding it and after reading horror stories I gotta admit I'm shying away. I'd much rather have one with a near correct lightening cut than an imbel.

Ghost January 04, 2018 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncreptile (Post 4522014)
So were all the Coonan l1a1 receivers bad? I'm eyeballing the one in the trader due to the price but it seems everyones avoiding it and after reading horror stories I gotta admit I'm shying away. I'd much rather have one with a near correct lightening cut than an imbel.

I built on one trouble free. Take it with a grain of salt though, its just a sample of one. I've read the horror stories as well.
Actually there is one thing Im keeping an eye on, after 400 rounds the ejector has a rounded indent where the empty case impacts. Not a receiver issue, an e-block issue as the coonan is a single part, not a design I care for.

hk22045 January 05, 2018 02:25

Worth doing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trypcil (Post 4521918)
Hold out for an Imbel receiver, they come up - build it yourself or send it off to one of the reputable builders here - cost will with tools be about the same as getting it built - get it built! Good luck and do it! Imbel receiver $600+, build perhaps $350+!

After spending 600 for a Imbal (assuming i can even get one , than 350 to assemble and 150 to 200 to finish the metal and wood would i have way more into it than it is worth even if i wanted to sell it someday or is this type of a build really a money pit? Appreciate anyones opinions Graywolf

Right Side Up January 05, 2018 04:18

You won't get any more than the parts are worth when you sell it. The build is down the drain. Weird I know, but it's the way it is with FAL's.

meltblown January 05, 2018 08:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by hk22045 (Post 4522333)
After spending 600 for a Imbal (assuming i can even get one , than 350 to assemble and 150 to 200 to finish the metal and wood would i have way more into it than it is worth even if i wanted to sell it someday or is this type of a build really a money pit? Appreciate anyones opinions Graywolf

That's the rub. Most of us here don't have to pay the $350 for assembly and still have more into these rifles than they are worth. It's the love not the ROI.

ncreptile January 05, 2018 11:58

Thanks for the wealth of information. I may try to grab that Coonan from Dan in the trader. I'd much rather have an inch on an inch gun as I already have an l1a1 with an imbel metric.:facepalm:

Incognito January 05, 2018 12:33

There were some Imbels that were inch; as in they took inch mags. I don't know if they came that way from Imbel or if someone converted them. I have one on my Ausie and I love it. I would not trade it for a DSA, Coonan, or Entreprise receiver. Imbel is a licensed built in spec receiver. It does not have the correct lightening cuts for an inch rifle but that is purely cosmetic and insignificant in my biased opinion.

pistolero1911 January 05, 2018 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Incognito (Post 4522475)
There were some Imbels that were inch; as in they took inch mags. I don't know if they came that way from Imbel or if someone converted them. I have one on my Ausie and I love it. I would not trade it for a DSA, Coonan, or Entreprise receiver. Imbel is a licensed built in spec receiver. It does not have the correct lightening cuts for an inch rifle but that is purely cosmetic and insignificant in my biased opinion.

I too have an IMBEL inch receiver, looks like a metric type 3 on the outside, but all inch [dust cover, charging handle cut, L1A1 magazine] where it counts. It's forged and made extremely well. If you can find one, you can't go wrong building on an IMBEL inch receiver.

mace2364 January 06, 2018 22:22

Hmm. Well this has been depressingly informative. I have a really nice Aussie kit I happened into a couple of years ago. I guess it's either build on a metric or not at all unless I get lucky.

Is there anyone even producing a not-so-good inch receiver at this point?

baker72 January 18, 2018 01:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncreptile (Post 4522460)
Thanks for the wealth of information. I may try to grab that Coonan from Dan in the trader. I'd much rather have an inch on an inch gun as I already have an l1a1 with an imbel metric.:facepalm:

Aw mate If I were you , I would put a want to buy ad In the market place for a Enterprise sporter Abni . Almost everyone on this board are hoarders and are sitting on little piles of treasure :biggrin: . Iíve purchased A L1A1A Lithgow cross flag marked receiver just by asking also a few older dsa and four enterprise receivers , yep your going to pay but you will get tip top stuff and as the L1A1 market is still down I think what you pay today for a quality receiver will be worth far more down the road plus the pleasure of not settling for non Aussie cut receiver and shooting your Aussie rifle

Cheers and good luck

raubvogel January 18, 2018 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by ActionYobbo (Post 4521813)

Yet a small dinky factory manned by illiterate poop-flinging monkeys in a third world shithole seems to make them without QC issues using only rocks and bones as tools.

raubvogel January 18, 2018 09:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by hkshooter (Post 4523223)
No.

DSA had a run last summer, FUBAR'd a large majority of them according to some. No news of any future runs.

You can try to contact coonan and see if they are willing to squeeze you in their last L1A1 run.

ActionYobbo January 18, 2018 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by raubvogel (Post 4527751)
Yet a small dinky factory manned by illiterate poop-flinging monkeys in a third world shithole seems to make them without QC issues using only rocks and bones as tools.

You got my attention. Can you provide an example. I would really like to see a khyber FAL.

garandguy10 January 19, 2018 08:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by hkshooter (Post 4527764)
Coonan stopped taking orders Dec 31. They are done.

Well, that is one less thing GP will bitch about.....:tongue:

gunplumber January 19, 2018 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by garandguy10 (Post 4528165)
Well, that is one less thing GP will bitch about.....:tongue:

I have another customer with one of Coonan's oversize locking shoulder holes. Coonan Inc refused to replace it.

So I will make another video. And it will go all over Youtube and Facebook, and here. And then Greg White (CEO of Coonan, Inc.,) will get butthurt that his other sales are suffering when people learn that Coonan Inc., sells defective crap - and has a "f-ck you" warranty. And then he'll send me another letter saying they don't know what I'm talking about, never heard there was a problem, and of course they'll fix it.

And then we'll repeat the whole thing in another couple months.

Because either Greg is stupid, and can't do math. Or I am I.

I'm not a math wiz, but I did take a class in financial and managerial accounting in college, and I do my own taxes. Whether you put a dollar into advertising or into customer service, or promotions, or COGS, it's still an expense that trickles down to the same line 31 on Schedule C.

So whether Coonan scraps and replaces their defective receiver at a imagined cost of $200 (and keeps a loyal customer they already have), or spends $200 in marketing to replace the loyal customer they've lost forever; the cost is the same.

Except it isn't. Because they are also losing customers they don't know about. As of today, I only have 542 followers on my Youtube Channel, and 1633 on the ARS Facebook page, but these are people who BUY. And there are quite a few people here on FalFiles who take my detailed analysis of products seriously.

So when I post a video like this one, even after Greg is shamed into doing the right thing, do you think it is a net gain or a net loss for Coonan Inc.? I think its an obvious net loss. So why would someone - just a couple months after going though this, again tell their customer "tough shit" over an oversize locking shoulder hole?

The only thing I can think of, is that it is a character issue. Some people have "getting over" so deeply ingrained in their character, that they won't do the right thing even when the right thing is less expensive than cheating their customers with defective products. Or maybe I'm missing something.

<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:56.21%"><iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FG0v814yHNo?ecver=2" style="position:absolute;width:50%;height:50%;left :0" width="321" height="180" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>

gunplumber January 19, 2018 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by hkshooter (Post 4528239)
Good video, Mark. Very informative. Will you make a similar one for DSA? METRIC? Inch?

I already made videos on DSA's mag fit issues - FAL & L1A1 part 1 & 2.

The DSA locking shoulder problem is in reviews section using photos.