The FAL Files

The FAL Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   Curios & Relics (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Where to get rare Luger appraisal? (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424068)

DesertFALrat February 12, 2018 17:58

Where to get rare Luger appraisal?

I have what I believe to be an extremely rare Luger.
It was purchased out of a WW2 vets estate.

I need an appraisal for insurance purposes.

It's a 1940 Mauser Banner Police w/ eagleN and eagleC proofs. The eagleC proof in 1940 is apparently super rare.

I located one website that indicated that only 19 of these particular 1940 Lugers are known to exist. Perhaps mine is the 20th.

Anyone have suggestions or experience on how to get a decent appraisal without sending the gun by mail?

Thanks,
dfr

tdb59 February 12, 2018 18:58

Let me contact Russ Withem, and see if he can assist.

tac-40 February 12, 2018 22:18

Just be careful. There are many fake stamped and altered pistols out there to make run of the mill Lugers into something special.

DesertFALrat February 12, 2018 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdb59 (Post 4540142)
Let me contact Russ Withem, and see if he can assist.

Thanks for the reference. I'm working on getting quality pictures tonight.

I will contact him tomorrow.

paulo February 13, 2018 05:14

You could try Simpsons in Illinois. Id also post it on the Luger Fourm, there are some decent folks there.

Herr Walther February 13, 2018 10:06

I'll second Simpson's.

Gazz February 13, 2018 10:34

Try posting at;

http://luger.gunboards.com/forum.php

DesertFALrat February 13, 2018 12:38

10 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures of what I've got.

It's all matching, including the magazine.
The grips are not numbered but do have the "655" stamps.

Everything looks correct to my eye, but I course I'm not an expert.

I've looked at the stamps under a 10x loop and none of them looked tampered with or altered.

I bought it from the deceased vets son, who wasn't totally eager to sell it because it was his dads war trophy, "supposedly" collected from a dead SS officer....you know how the stories go.... anyway, I told him I wasn't interested in reselling and just wanted it for my collection and his wife was pushing him to sell. Neither of us knew what it was worth, but I figured it was worth at least a grand, so that's what we agreed on.

So that's the story on how I got it. Now for the pics....

DesertFALrat February 13, 2018 12:39

3 Attachment(s)
more pics

pmf February 13, 2018 14:27

Here's one for $3500. 1940 Mauser Police Eagle C

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gun...n_id=100950251

It amazes me what these things go for. Doesn't seem all that long ago that they were all over the place. Guess my age is showing.

raubvogel February 13, 2018 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by tac-40 (Post 4540271)
Just be careful. There are many fake stamped and altered pistols out there to make run of the mill Lugers into something special.

Ebay sells punches with all the stamps you would ever need. How else could you have a genuine ultra rare Taurus PT92 that was given to Adolf Hitler by Goebels without the Waffenmarks to prove it? :whistling:

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmf (Post 4540527)
Here's one for $3500. 1940 Mauser Police Eagle C

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gun...n_id=100950251

It amazes me what these things go for. Doesn't seem all that long ago that they were all over the place. Guess my age is showing.

Same can be said for the $50 SKS carbines...

VALMET February 13, 2018 21:54

+1 for Simpson Ltd. like Tac-40 said, fakes abound when it comes to Lugers. Hope yours does turn out to be one of those rare birds!

Sagerider February 14, 2018 00:45

1 k for any Luger in that condition, you stole it!

paulo February 14, 2018 06:39

If you want a documented appraisal, Simpsons is the place to send it. It will cost you, I believe they have info on their web site.
I would recommend getting on the Luger Forum. Post your photos in the P-08 Military Luger's section. They will ask for one more photo of the markings that are on the underside of the barrel, right where it joins the lower frame by the trigger guard. In your photos it's hard to see the straw color on the trigger, they may ask about that as well. May just be the lighting?

There are some very knowledgeable folks on that Forum and you should get some good feed back. They will tell you if it's rare and approximate value.

Shooter grade Luger's are going for $800.00 and up. As others have said, $1000.00 seems to be a very good price for what appears to be an all matching numbers war time Luger, assuming it is the real deal. Nice score if it is!

Let us know what you find out.
Paul

pmf February 14, 2018 09:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by raubvogel (Post 4540698)
Same can be said for the $50 SKS carbines...

Really? I've got a couple of those I'd like to unload. The Yugo ones with the grenade launchers and bayonets.

DesertFALrat February 17, 2018 22:06

I talked to Russ Withem and he said it was authentic based on the photos. He rated it at 95%. Value of 3k to 4k, insure for 5k.

He indicated that although the eagle C guns are more rare, they don't automatically have a much greater value than any of the other police pistols....unless a collector really wanted an eagle C for his collection and was willing to pay more.

He basically confirmed what I had figured was the case.

But. You are right. For 1000 bucks, I basically stole it.
Score 1 for the rat.

Gary Harwell February 19, 2018 20:20

How to contact Russ? I just picked up an interesting one also.

DesertFALrat February 20, 2018 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Harwell (Post 4543788)
How to contact Russ? I just picked up an interesting one also.

check your PM's

ExCdnSoldierInTx February 22, 2018 10:38

I hope it's the real deal for ya, man. I have a real weakness for Lugers.

Personally, I always question these supposed 'ultra rare' guns that suddenly pop up out of nowhere. I know they occasionally do, but yeah, most often, they're homemade.

I remember back in the day when the whole "Black Widow" schtik was foisted on American collectors by some enterprising and quick thinking resellers.
Yeah it was a scam, but dangit, it was brilliant. They took average wartime production guns and for awhile turned them into serious moneymakers. Just add black handgrips. :bow::D

Me, I just like nice, untouched original numbers matching guns, Run of the Mill 42 BYF or a mid 30s Civvy with decent straw is fine by me, as long as they're original. Just put 'em up, and their better than a 401K.
They ain't making any more of them, and they've got serious public recognition and demand. The three things that guarantee good ROI.

Retired Bum February 22, 2018 16:47

Just before I retired from the BOP I bought a Mauser S/42 code P08 dated 1937. All matching numbers including the grips and the magazine. Paid $750 for it and put it away in the safe.

Then the price of decent ordinary Lugers started going up and I waited until they got into the four figure amount. Ended up selling that Luger to a collector that just had to have it. That seems to be the norm with me when it comes to Lugers I have owned over the years. Both DWM and Mauser made. I find them and then I sell them.

The only Luger I currently own is one of the Mauser Parabellum repro's. Made in 1968 with a 9mm six inch barrel I found NIB for only $600 from a dealer going out of business in 1990. One day I will probably put it on consignment. Let someone else enjoy it because there are never going to be anymore of them made.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

ExCdnSoldierInTx February 22, 2018 23:51

The problem with them is that they shoot so darn nice. It's hard to not keep one just to use.