The FAL Files

The FAL Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Bolt Action Files (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Savage 10 BA Stealth 6.5 Creedmoor. (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=421378)

ArtBanks November 26, 2017 11:38

Savage 10 BA Stealth 6.5 Creedmoor.
 
Picked up a new Savage for the herd yesterday.
Made a couple of changes on the Savage Stealth 6.5 Creedmoor. Replaced the crappy butt stock with my favorite, the XLR and added a SEI vortex to the muzzle.
Ran another 20 rnds today. This rifle , almost, shoots itself. What a joy. Throws the AR-500 prairie dogs at 150 yds farther than the 30-06. This little baby has some serious whoop arse.

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/...psji8ztudw.jpg

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7qbf3rpt.jpg

Semper Fi
Art

olgier November 26, 2017 12:08

someday I will have one of those. lol

I like it! :biggrin:

Eyeguy November 26, 2017 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtBanks (Post 4505947)
Picked up a new Savage for the herd yesterday.
Made a couple of changes on the Savage Stealth 6.5 Creedmoor. Replaced the crappy butt stock with my favorite, the XLR and added a SEI vortex to the muzzle.
Semper Fi
Art

Have the XLR Element stock on my Bergara LRP in 6 Creedmoor. Love it. They make a quality product.

ArtBanks November 26, 2017 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eyeguy (Post 4506021)
Have the XLR Element stock on my Bergara LRP in 6 Creedmoor. Love it. They make a quality product.

Borrowed this one off one of my Bula Defense XM21s. Just ordered a replacement.
I don't believe there is a more stable buttstock available. I had the fancy Magpul on the XM21 for a time, but just didn't feel right. I really like all the adjustments on the XLR. Even get it to fit my chubby mug.

Semper Fi
Art

Merl November 26, 2017 19:51

Is that a savage made chassis that takes AR parts & mags?

Eyeguy November 26, 2017 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merl (Post 4506136)
Is that a savage made chassis that takes AR parts & mags?

No. XLR Industries makes monolithic chassis' for a number of actions. Happened to be the chassis that my Bergara B-17 bolt action came with from the factory.

As Art said, he's used it on this Savage and Bula XM21.

https://xlrindustries.com/collections/chassis

tac-40 November 26, 2017 20:51

You probably already know this, but make sure you try out the full range of bullet weights to find out which your rifle likes best. And that can take some close inspections to see the difference. My RPR likes the 130 to 143 grain bullets. The heavier 147 grain stuff opens the groups about a MOA. 129 and lighter works well out to 200 yds but really opens up beyond that distance, close to to 1 MOA out to 600 yards. Of course this may be the shooter and environment and not the ammo, but it does seem to be consistent on different shooting days and conditions.

ArtBanks November 27, 2017 05:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by tac-40 (Post 4506152)
You probably already know this, but make sure you try out the full range of bullet weights to find out which your rifle likes best. And that can take some close inspections to see the difference. My RPR likes the 130 to 143 grain bullets. The heavier 147 grain stuff opens the groups about a MOA. 129 and lighter works well out to 200 yds but really opens up beyond that distance, close to to 1 MOA out to 600 yards. Of course this may be the shooter and environment and not the ammo, but it does seem to be consistent on different shooting days and conditions.

Thanks for the advice. My experimenting with this caliber is just in it's infancy.
Being a reloader and experience with .308 and .223 this one is icing on the cake.
All first hand information is appreciated. That from the boogey woogey google boys from company Z is generally rejected on the spot.

Semper Fi
Art

55bird November 30, 2017 18:14

Nice stuff, glad someone else is into these for I am an amateur learning as I go.
Dang good looking set up.

ratas calientes December 02, 2017 21:27

How did you decide to select the Savage over, say, the River Precision Rifle? I keep vacillating between these two.

ArtBanks December 03, 2017 05:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratas calientes (Post 4508765)
How did you decide to select the Savage over, say, the River Precision Rifle? I keep vacillating between these two.

Had a fellow on my range with one in .308 let me give it a go. Just like the feel of the rifle. I knew right away what I was going to do for a butt stock. Replace the original with the XLR.
Since the photo above , I have added a Precision armament M11 Severe-Duty Muzzle brake.
I think perhaps the fact that I also have other Savage 10 and 110 rifles that it added to my choice.

Andy2205 December 17, 2017 18:22

Nice looking rig Art. I just got out to shoot my Model 10 today. I saw the XLR site while looking at stocks and they had $150 instant savings. Ordered up the Evolution chassis and got it for under the listed cost with my options.

Love the chassis, but it does have more than just a couple of different size allen screws holding it together. Had to tighten up the butt stock tube after today's trip to the range.

What magazines are you using? I ordered two ten round Magpul mazines and have noticed that they don't like locking into the mag well.

Hoping the chassis will help tighten up the groups compared to the factory stock.

ArtBanks December 17, 2017 19:54

I bought a few MDTTAC. The ones that come stock with the Stealth.
Only XLR part on mine is the butt stock.

Andy2205 December 18, 2017 07:04

Thanks for the lead on the metal mags, looks like they are a bit more affordable than the other I've managed to find. Maybe I can get Mrs. Santa to stuff a couple in the stocking.

Good luck with your build. I've only had limited experience with precision rifles. My Savage 10 FCP was pretty decent out of the box using the Leupold 3.5x10, hopefully this will help tune it.

I have a Sage stocked M1A and the chassis helped that rifle out quit a bit. It's heavy, but I'm not lugging it the field.

ArtBanks December 18, 2017 07:53

The mags I have are not metal. I don't know it they will work with an XLR chassis.

Eyeguy December 18, 2017 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy2205 (Post 4514803)
Nice looking rig Art. I just got out to shoot my Model 10 today. I saw the XLR site while looking at stocks and they had $150 instant savings. Ordered up the Evolution chassis and got it for under the listed cost with my options.

Love the chassis, but it does have more than just a couple of different size allen screws holding it together. Had to tighten up the butt stock tube after today's trip to the range.

What magazines are you using? I ordered two ten round Magpul mazines and have noticed that they don't like locking into the mag well.

Hoping the chassis will help tighten up the groups compared to the factory stock.

XLR is having their "backroom blowout" currently. The Evolution stock is one of the sale items at a great price if anyone else is looking.

http://shop.bergarausa.com/pc_produc...ED36926C84B2F5

Apologies Art if I stepped on your thread.

55bird December 18, 2017 19:28

Is there a specific reason you chose the XLR Tac AR stock over the others?

ArtBanks December 18, 2017 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by 55bird (Post 4515220)
Is there a specific reason you chose the XLR Tac AR stock over the others?

I have a couple of them on other weapons and they just seem to be extremely rugged and stable. I don't like some other brands that seem wobbly to me.
This one has the ability to add a rail on the bottom and I use that area to attach M14 front sling swivels. Works great for the cotton slings I use on the majority of my rifles.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2018 The FAL Files