PDA

View Full Version : Ident/backsight: Configurations and Differences

Bruce Allen
January 01, 2004, 10:10
Here is a pic of 4 rear sights.
The first is the Israeli, next the Inch Pattern, then the Beligum and last from a G1 or IMBEL. I took this pic from the files and am not sure about #4.

Rooster
January 01, 2004, 22:53
#4 looks like an Imbel to me also. I am not sure what the question was, but if you need a better pic I can take one. I have one of each sitting in the workshop somewhere.

vmtz
January 01, 2004, 22:53
BTT or Ratas.

Vince

Bruce Allen
January 01, 2004, 23:07
Originally posted by Rooster
#4 looks like an Imbel to me also. I am not sure what the question was, but if you need a better pic I can take one. I have one of each sitting in the workshop somewhere.
Thanks.. I was showing the different sights, the Israeli and Inch Pattern in particular as a remedy to a rifle shooting low.

ratas calientes
January 02, 2004, 01:13
Bruce, thanks for the photos.

The question came up as a result of my second build of a G-1. I assembled a G-1 on a Coonan, and when I attempted to site it in, it shot ~6 inches low at ~25 meters. I suspected a bent barrel, so I borrowed a second G-1 barrel from "shootist 87122." This borrowed barrel came from a build that did site in okay, so I am assuming that it is straight. When installed, it shot ~2 inches low at ~25 meters, with the stubby one-dot front site all the way down. I had heard that Bruce Allen had some rifle builds that show low, so I wondered what was the best fix. Bruce recommended a taller rear site if the rifle gouped satisfactorily.

This begs other questions:

Do G-1's, as a group, tend to shoot low? Why?
Do Coonan-based builds tend to shoot low?
Is a taller rear site a good fix for a full-length rifle? Or should I expect any full-length rifle to sight in within reason with a front site at ~mid-travel?

Sig220
January 02, 2004, 01:26
If it helps...I built a G1 on an Imbel, it did not shoot low. Of course, I had to adjust my barrel timing to get it all straight, though. Must have had a crooked eye when using the two rods method! I found it does group tighter then my STG58, too.

ratas calientes
January 02, 2004, 01:30
My first G-1 was mated to an Entreprise Type 1. It tooks some work to assemble, but it sighted in fine with a three-dot front site at mid travel. So, is shooting low a Coonan thing?

vmtz
January 02, 2004, 08:23
Ratas,

Just in case you missed it. Here is another thread of someone with a low shooter. http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96697

elbo
January 02, 2004, 08:33
Originally posted by ratas calientes
So, is shooting low a Coonan thing? I have one using a DSA StG. Works fine with the sight parts that came in the kit. I have another that is Izzyfied. New Izzy gas block on an IMBEL barrel. Works fine with Izzy sight parts front and rear.

Bruce Allen
January 02, 2004, 10:00
I am going to take some pics of my carbine for another thread today and will remove the rear sight, which is a resculpted Israeli, and take a pic of it side by side with a Belgium and post when I get the photos back (probably tomorrow).

Bruce Allen
January 06, 2004, 12:26
Here is a modified Israeli rear sight and a standard Belgium (which is the shorter one of the two)

Bruce Allen
January 06, 2004, 12:28
From side:

Mk VII
July 31, 2006, 14:28
British double leaf 'Hythe' sight, orginally intended for day and night shooting with large and small apertures and a luminous foresight. Ended up being used by shooting teams.

http://www.fototime.com/D7503A062FA6A5C/standard.jpg

chromestarhustler
August 06, 2006, 11:44
isnt the taller sight if your shooting high. and the lower sight if your shooting low? the taller sight lowers the front of the barrel. and the short sight raises it?

EX1
August 06, 2006, 21:33
Hello here are 4 more types of metric rear sights. from left to right adjustable para rear sight fro 150 to 250,next is the 50 63 para or Holland sight, Next is the Venezuela diopter ajustable from 2 thru 6 ,and last is the early Belgian rear sight with the pin thru the back so the ap does not slide off and a #2 marked tall ap.

EX1
August 06, 2006, 21:35
Here is the other side

Falcon
August 06, 2006, 22:56
The earliest FAL's had fixed front sights and numbered rear sight apertures(1 thru 4), thats why the tall rear sight you have is numbered.