PDA

View Full Version : Finishes: What combination of finishes for a Belgian FAL?

R4 fan
December 20, 2003, 19:09
Here's a photo of a belgian FAL that was originally posted by Anders. I'm going to have a post-ban clone built, only with a standard topcover. I have the handguards, which have parkerized metal ends (not black enamel). The bolt carrier and rear sight assembly also appear to be parkerized or possibly blued. What I want to know is that most of parts were coated with a black enamel finish. What parts were blued or parkerized? Specific parts in question are the hinge pin, hammer/trigger/sear pins, trigger, trigger plunger, rear sight, bolt and bolt carrier. I could just have the whole rifle done in black, but I'm trying to be authentic.

I searched the archives, and found info on a as nib 50.63 fn para. (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78461&perpage=30&pagenumber=1) The hinge pin was different, and gunplumber had this info on the finish:

FWIW, the hinge pin, bolt and the bolt carrier should be blued, not enamel. Few other misc pins are blued, not parked. There should be park under the cocking handle and on the back side, not paint. The BHO should be bare metal on the shaft although sometimes blued, not parked; and black on the wide foot.

Anyone know what the differences are?

R4 fan
December 20, 2003, 19:10
Here's the photo.

R4 fan
December 22, 2003, 09:34
Thanks Anders! I have almost all the parts to build a clone of it in 7.62. :D This is an easier rifle to copy in a post-ban version, as I already have a belgian barrel, lower, stock assembly, handguards and STG/G1 carry handle. It seems some of these rifles had parkerized or blued parts along with black enameled parts. I could have everything coated in black, but I just want to make something more "original" or different I guess.

Do you know if the bolt/bolt carrier on this rifle was blued or parkerized? It's hard for me to tell from the photos.

FNSam
December 22, 2003, 10:36
Nice looking rifle Anders. What kind of upper receiver is that?
Merry Christmas FNSam

FNSam
December 22, 2003, 11:17
I thought it was, since the crest is somewhat visible in the picture.
Great rifle..........FNSam

cliffy109
December 22, 2003, 15:21
Ah man... That's it. That's my next build! I've been searching for something different than I've already got and something "authentic". The open ear thing wont work for me, but the rest of it will be a breeze. Thanks Anders.

hydrotx
December 22, 2003, 15:33
If you are trying to duplicate the gray finish of the gorgeous rifle Anders is showing. Alumahyde II in park gray works well. Here it is on a rifle I did up. It looks much grayer in person.

http://www.geocities.com/hydrotx/tal1.JPG

R4 fan
December 22, 2003, 19:58
Anders,

I have all those photos saved of your "gray" FAL last time you posted them! :D I was thinking of making a clone of that, but I don't have any original wood or a full length belgian barrel. Is there any other parts that are parked and not painted on that rifle? How about the rear sight?