PDA

View Full Version : Legal: FAL pre ban Serial Number's?

Oregon-Jet
November 02, 2003, 19:29
Anyone know what the breaking point is on serial numbers for FAL receivers from Pre ban to Post ban?
Were there any upper's sold by CAI that were pre ban?
And if there were, what would be the breaking point on the number's?
thanks for the info ahead of time
OJ

gunplumber
November 02, 2003, 20:09
CAI FALs. There are no Pre-1989 CAI Fals. There were some post 1989 and pre-1994 thumbholes. But there were no US parts to legally conver these to "assault weapons" prior to the ban, and if not so converted, are not grandfathered. An interesting question, is

Was a rifle converted to an "assault weapon" after 1989 and before 1994, in violation of the 1989 import ban, still grandfathered? It meets all the rquirements of an assault weapon for being grandfathered under the 1994 rules. If then "corrected" with the requisite US parts post 1994, is it then legit?

I for one don't want to confuse the issue further.

All belgium Fals are preban
All SAR 48s (Springfield armory import IMBEL - Brazil) are pre 1989
all SAR4800s are postban (except one person called Springfield and reported his .223 SAR 4800 was pre 94)
All PAC import, Hesse Import, Entreprise Import, Imbels are postban
All Argie imports marked SAC Lattica inside the mag well are post 1994
Argies marked on the receiver May be preban
all DSA are postban
some Entreprise are preban
some armscorp are preban
all Gun South (GSXXXX) receivers are preban if built into complete rifles

Oregon-Jet
November 02, 2003, 20:18
Originally posted by gunplumber

Was a rifle converted to an "assault weapon" after 1989 and before 1994, in violation of the 1989 import ban, still grandfathered? It meets all the rquirements of an assault weapon for being grandfathered under the 1994 rules. If then "corrected" with the requisite US parts post 1994, is it then legit?

Thanks mark for the Good Info.
I think this one I'm looking at for a friend is what you said above, or close to it.

vmtz
November 03, 2003, 05:13
There was some discussion that some CAI FAL's were pre-ban. The serial number started with a "C" and they may have been number less then 1000. However, big however, no one has been able to verifiy this with CAI.

Vince

gunplumber
November 03, 2003, 11:36
nope. the only interesting thing about the C prefix is they are argentine and not imbels - still post 89 thumbholes.

vmtz
November 03, 2003, 15:31
nope. the only interesting thing about the C prefix is they are argentine and not imbels - still post 89 thumbholes.

Cool didn't know that. It is good to know that all were post-ban. I have seen a few that were advertised as pre-ban.

Vince

Oregon-Jet
November 03, 2003, 16:06
vmtz

I have too, and it is nice to know that as well for me.

gunplumber
November 03, 2003, 18:19
They are preban - Pre AW Ban (94) They are post Import ban.

So back to the same question.

I buy one of these dumbholes in 1991-92 and think the thumhole looks stupid. I've never heard of the import ban or 18-922, so I just stick a surplus flash hider and standard lower back on the thing. I enjoy my rifle fo r several years. Then the 1994 AW ban comes along. Well my rifle has the bayonet lug, flash hider, and pistol grip, and detchable 20 round mag, so its definitely an assault weapon. So it gets grandfathered. Around 1995, I start cruising the internet and I learn about US parts - Oh no - I think - I guess my rifle needs 7 US parts. So I buy 7 US parts. My rifle now complies with the 1989 import ban. Is it staill a grandfathered assault weapon?

vmtz
November 03, 2003, 18:25
They are preban - Pre AW Ban (94) They are post Import ban.

So back to the same question.

I buy one of these dumbholes in 1991-92 and think the thumhole looks stupid. I've never heard of the import ban or 18-922, so I just stick a surplus flash hider and standard lower back on the thing. I enjoy my rifle fo r several years. Then the 1994 AW ban comes along. Well my rifle has the bayonet lug, flash hider, and pistol grip, and detchable 20 round mag, so its definitely an assault weapon. So it gets grandfathered. Around 1995, I start cruising the internet and I learn about US parts - Oh no - I think - I guess my rifle needs 7 US parts. So I buy 7 US parts. My rifle now complies with the 1989 import ban. Is it staill a grandfathered assault weapon?

I might be game to say "yes." But, wasn't there some mumbo jumbo about keeping it in the butthole stock?

Vince

gunplumber
November 03, 2003, 18:37
ATF "changed their minds" on the thumbhole stock. It was specifically approved (AKs and FALs) for import as a thumbhole and as a thumbhole was not an assault weapon under the import ban. But then in 1994, they decided it still was an assault weapon, just with 2 US Parts tied together in the thumbhole. Of course, this would mean it was an assault weapon PRIOR to 94 as well (grandfathered).

Thats why a new manufactured thumbhole isn't exempt from the import ban. Confused yet? Thats your tax dollars at work,.

Oregon-Jet
November 04, 2003, 01:53
Man Mark..........
Ok i think i got it
#1 you dont have a pre ban
#2 you do have one
#3 you dont have one
#4 you did have one
#5 you might have one

Yup I sure wish they would make up their minds, mines starting to hurt......lol