PDA

View Full Version : TOUCH UP ON PARK FINISH

dragunov308
October 11, 2003, 19:08
I once had a gunsmith do some touch up on an AR15 flash-hider. He used some solution in a bottle than used something to neutralize it. I can't recall what he used. Does anybody know of anyway to touch up parkerizing? I have a very small area that I'd like to touch up.

nvcdl
October 11, 2003, 19:34
Cold Blue is pretty good on touch up jobs - works better on park then it does on hot blued finishes.

ratas calientes
October 12, 2003, 18:32
Cold blue is fine for small touch-ups. The larger the area repaired, the easier it is to note that the cold blue is not the same as the surrounding park finish.

Snakeshot
October 12, 2003, 18:48
Seems that I remember gunplumber mentioning Brass Black to be the best. Brownell's has it.

I haven't tried it, but I'm pretty sure it's phosphoric acid based like park solution.

dragunov308
October 12, 2003, 19:05
anybody out there use this stuff??? I checked out BIRCHWOOD CASEY site- its listed there but not with alot of description. I can always try a scrap piece and see what it does.

yovinny
October 13, 2003, 04:38
A gunsmith I knew used to do it with Navel jelly, it's phosphoric acid based. I've never tried it myself. YOOO VINNY

dougjones31
October 13, 2003, 11:25
I would suggest etching the metal with Naval Jelly and then using the cold blue on top of that...it should make the texture of the repaired spot blend in better.

Court in Fl
October 13, 2003, 20:04
Hello dragunov308,

I saw a product like the one you describe at the Shot Show.

Check this link, http://www.bluewonder.us/

By the way the gun show in West Palm Beach was below average.
You didn't miss anything.

Court in Fl.

gunhead
October 13, 2003, 22:15
I've used Oxpho-blue from Brownells for small areas.
I don't know why it uses the word "blue"? It looks more like park to me!
I've done an entire buttstock plate from my K31, came out real good but I had to use a method that I believe either Splattermatic or Jeter recommended.
Work in the stuff with a piece of steel wool.
Wow, that Wonder Blue is costly.
GL...
Rich