PDA

View Full Version : Ident/Aussie: L1A1 fitments

Brian S
October 07, 2003, 22:19
I need some historical help with my L1A1 replica.

You may have seen my L1A1 replica that has been posted in the reviews section some time ago.

Link to thread (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85913)

Anyway, I am trying to get this into a "correct" configuration.

Inch cut Imbel receiver
Wood buttstock
wood PG with wood popsickle
All wooden handguards, not the laminate kind with metal ends.
Green plastic carry handle
post 1962 enamel finish
Trilux w/bodycover

Would this combination have ever been seen in service? What do I need to change to make it "correct"?

Thanks,
Brian.

NZ L1A1 Collector
October 07, 2003, 22:47
Hi Brian S, Firstly your rifle looks great :)

If you are wanting to have an original 'factory issue' configuration then the best option might be to start with the original serial number on the lower, the 'AD' number. Use this as the point for working the configuration around.

So the question is..... what is the original number on the lower? If there is no number on the lower what is the number on the breech block OR carrier?

Once we have the number we can then design the correct configuration for you as per the factory specs at the time it was assembled.

One thing I can tell you to start with................... remove ALL the white and red painted markings as factory rifle did not have colours on them. The serial number would be bright metal, where the cutter etched or stamped the serial number after assembling and proofing.

If you truly want it 'correct' Aussy L1A1.. sorry but the paint has to go.

Brian S
October 07, 2003, 23:01
As is the custom here the serial numbers on the lower and other parts are milled out and force matched to the new receiver.

Strike one there I guess.

What I'm looking for is for it to be "correct" as in all the components are from the same time period, IE enamel paint and wooden handguards w/ green carry handle. Is this a valid configuration??

NZ L1A1 Collector
October 07, 2003, 23:10
Ok configurations since we don't have a serial number to work off of.

1959 - 1965
Butt: Wood
Pistol Grip: Wood
Handguards: Wood
Carry Handle: Wood
Finsh: Phosphated

1965 - 1967
Handguards: Wood
Carry Handle: Green Plastic

1967 - 1968
Handguards: Laminated Mk 1

1968 - 1971
Handguards: Laminated Mk 2

1971 - 1988
Handguards: Laminated Mk 2
Finsh: Phosphated over coated with satin black stoving paint

Prior to 1971 the finish of the rifles was just a dark Phosphating finish.

After 1971 the rifle was phosphated and then had a coating of satin black stoving paint.

FYI the mag shown in your pic is a British made one.

SLR-5000
October 08, 2003, 23:33
I saw a lot of SLR's during the 80'sin the Aussie miltary and by then they had a mix of commonwelth parts including british dual apature rear sights and the L2's had L1rear sights. The Furniture was used and dented, all I saw had old green Phosphate finish and the smell of the grease on all the parts still turns me on.
Your pretty Ironwood handguards dont have the metal reinforcements behind the front screw area, your wood carry handle was green plastic by the 80's.
Raw metal engraving with no highlighted proofmarks, also I did see the word LITHGOW on some of the military SLR's. I dont remember seeing any stampings on the wood althow one of my Aussie kits I have here in Idaho has some.
I dont know if your rifle should or even could be made to look like a real Diggers SLR its too poyerish now.;)

Andy the Aussie
October 09, 2003, 02:01
Hey there 5000, maybe we should just call you Torana..???? Glad to see another Aussie here.

Not much I can add to this. Kevein has about covered it all...maybe you just need to beat her up a little...make it authentic...

:p

tim02
October 09, 2003, 10:19
My original Australian L1A1 receiver/lower combo had a thin greenish phosphate finish on it - serial AD68015XX

Now it has beadblast&hot blue/black & 15 in brit barrel - horror for you perfectionists....:biggrin:

tim

Brian S
October 09, 2003, 16:45
Thank you guys!

The chart posted by NZ collector is great! I appreciate your time and effort.

EMDII
October 09, 2003, 18:21
I've added this to the R&D FOrum: thanks to Brian (beautiful L1A1) and Kevin (as always THE RKI).

Aussie Grunt
October 10, 2003, 20:58
Originally posted by Andy the Aussie
Hey there 5000, maybe we should just call you Torana..???? :p

Hey Andy,
Can you hear about 11,000 File members all asking the same question........"Whats a TORANA????"

Cheers from Wagga Wagga (whats a Wagga Wagga???) :shades:

Blood of Tyrants
October 10, 2003, 21:37
Isn't the Torana the type of car that Mel Gibson drove in Mad Max and Road Warrior ?

Andy the Aussie
October 10, 2003, 22:07
Wagga Wagga.....it really does sound like some kind of bad illness does'nt it...he he......mind you mate...the Vic Hotel always kept me entertained when I was in town.

I thought it was a Ford (fighting words to a Holden man) in the Mad Max flicks....but yes...a Torana is a car.....of the right brand as well...:tongue:

Andy:)

Aussie Grunt
October 11, 2003, 02:37
G'day Andy,
Ahhh the Vic', good for a beer, a feed a fight or to pick up a root.........and not necessarily in that order! And as for this weekend at Bathurst......GO THE FORDS!!!!!!!

Andy the Aussie
October 11, 2003, 03:42
FORDS.......?????? They are much like a HOLDEN.....only SLOWER.....he he he:devil: :devil: :devil: :rofl: :rofl: :p

EMDII
October 11, 2003, 14:25
You Aussies are VERY bad!
:wink:

Andy the Aussie
October 11, 2003, 16:24
Bad Ted...???? I have not even begun to misbehave yet.....:wink: :wink: Should see me when things really get out of hand....!!!

SLR-5000
October 11, 2003, 19:49
You pair of wankers got these septic tanks all confused. Now what did ya wanna go and do that for?:D

Andy the Aussie
October 11, 2003, 20:13
Cause I can mate......:wink: Should see me when I am actually in the US.....they have bugger all idea just what I am saying....hell....I get a confused look when I ask for a Coke...I dunno why but I do....!!!! Well....best I go polish my Digeridoo and chuck a little Jumbuck on the barby for lunch......may even go grab a feed of prawns or better yet boil up some Yabbies...!!!:angel:

All the best.

Andy

BTW.....the Bathurst 1000 is a shit fight just now...!!! lotsa prangs and a new record lap time..!!:bow:

SLR-5000
October 11, 2003, 20:46
You poor bastards livin down there with no guns to play with. I lost all my guns down there but then I saw the light and dug out my US passport and came to the land of the free. (Idaho) a full auto state YEH!!!!
Piss on you buggers.:fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :love:

Andy the Aussie
October 11, 2003, 21:19
Thanks for that SLR.....two words spring to mind...BLOW ME...!!!!:p :p I saw a bit of Idaho when I was through there in 01. Nice country. I am rather partial to Oregon myself.

Andy

SLR-5000
October 11, 2003, 21:32
Next time your over here look me up and we'll go waste a case of ammo or two.
Got to get to bed now, Got to go Bear hunting in the morning. :tongue:

Andy the Aussie
October 11, 2003, 21:37
Copy that mate...take it easy and good hunting...!!!:)

NZ L1A1 Collector
October 12, 2003, 17:31
WOOO HOOOOOOO

HOLDEN WON Bathurst :biggrin:

and even better a Kiwi won it ...... Greg Murphy :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::bigg rin:

Andy the Aussie
October 12, 2003, 19:25
Can't take anything away from Murphy ('cept of course he is a Kiwi), he deserved that win and I am sure it will not be the last time he does it either....pity he is a Kiwi (have I mentioned that already)..:rolleyes: :rofl:

L1A1Johnno
October 07, 2004, 21:16
You should see a septics face when you try to explain to him the meaning of:

"Hope your chooks turn to emu's and kick you dunny down!!"

It's a hard job, even if you can find one who has a sense of humor

Hooroo for now!

:fal: Johnno

308PARA
October 08, 2004, 04:48
Hmmm..., just had a brilliant idea. We could have a new marketing campaign for OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE going on here! We'll have you guys eat MAD MAX burgers and drink Wallabedarns after a lovely day shooting up part of the American countryside (Fun with a capitol F ) and then at some point it will be mentioned that it's the authenticity of OUTBACK that draws you back again and again, the plastic alligator on the wall inspires me...They do have a good damn burger though! I live in Kalifornia and wish I was firing free and auto in Ohio!!! Just putting some lame humor out there on the files.:]

Andy the Aussie
October 08, 2004, 16:40
I have yet to go to an Outback Steakhouse, when in the states I have never had the urge to go. Funny this thread should pop up THIS weekend....as it is BATHURST time again....!!!!! Go the HOLDENs........!!!!!!!

Andy:shades: :bigangel:

English Mike
October 09, 2004, 20:17
I know what a Yabbie is:wink:

torquemada055
March 18, 2005, 21:32
Okay, I'll ask.

What the hell is a Yabbie ? or is it Who ?:confused: :beer: :whiskey:

The heck with it, wanna just go shooting and then the beer ?

Andy the Aussie
March 18, 2005, 21:42
Mmmmmmmmmmmm.................boiled Yabbies in garlic sauce... as strange as it may sound mate they are a freshwater crayfish kinda thing.....great bait for big fish and damn good eating on their own. Useful for getting rid of unwanted bodies as well....just dump them in a damn that has a good stock of yabbies and they will be nothing more than bones in very short order....well....ummm....so I have heard anyways....;)

Andy :cool:

Brian in MN
March 18, 2005, 23:50
Cause I can mate......:wink: Should see me when I am actually in the US.....they have bugger all idea just what I am saying....hell....I get a confused look when I ask for a Coke...I dunno why but I do....!!!! Well....best I go polish my Digeridoo and chuck a little Jumbuck on the barby for lunch......may even go grab a feed of prawns or better yet boil up some Yabbies...!!!:angel:

All the best.

Andy

BTW.....the Bathurst 1000 is a shit fight just now...!!! lotsa prangs and a new record lap time..!!:bow:

Am I in a bad way if I actually understood all of that? 'Course, I have been drinking.

Wagga Wagga.. --sounds like a skin disease one gets from spending too much time in the jungle followed by some R&R at the wrong "tourist resort". Is Wagga Wagga curable?

I met Mrs. Bont, my skate maker from Campsie, this past summer. I drive a blue Celica. I love the way you Aussies say Celica. Sounds so feminine and sexy.

SLR-5000
March 19, 2005, 10:21
Wagga Wagga (in Oz) and Walla Walla (in US) are both shit hole towns, I live in both for a while.
If you find an Australian store you can get a book with Aussie terms and their meanings like catchin a squiz at this shelas gutted rabbit while gettin pissed at the local.
Pat

torquemada055
March 19, 2005, 12:31
I knew when I asked the damn question about Yabbies I was opening up something I wouldn't understand.:smile:

Now I have proof !:eek:

But, PLEASE, keep it up as I am learning something from the other side of the world.

Brian in MN
March 19, 2005, 19:33
Originally posted by SLR-5000
catchin a squiz at this shelas gutted rabbit while gettin pissed at the local.
Pat

:rofl: It just isn't possible to read that and not laugh out loud.

Andy the Aussie
March 19, 2005, 19:49
Pat just about describes my favourite Friday nights out....!!!!!:rofl: :rofl: Ye olde "Gutted Rabbit".....:bigangel: :rofl: :eek:

Tim Dreas
April 19, 2005, 05:39
Yabby

Yabby

Scientific Name

Cheerax destructor
Other Common Names

None. The name "yabby" is sometimes used to refer to any freshwater crayfish species in Australia.
Size

To 70 mm carapace length, 160 mm total body length

Conservation Status

Common/Widespread
Habitat

Capable of living in virtually any body of fresh water including rivers and other streams, lakes, dams and even some temporary waters. Yabbies are active burrowers and are very hardy, able to withstand poor water quality and long periods of drought.

If a particular water course dries up, yabbies burrow deep into the bottom until they reach moist soil, where they presumably become very quiet. The scientific name destructor refers to the yabby's habit of burrowing into levee banks and dam walls where they can cause considerable damage.
Distribution

Occurs in much of South Western Queensland, central and western New South Wales, the majority of Victoria and the eastern part of South Australia.
Diet

Detritus feeder and opportunistic carnivore especially of carrion.
Angling

A very common childhood pastime is to catch yabbies with a piece of meat tied to a length of string. Adults generally use nets of various designs, depending upon location and regulation in the particular area.

Restrictions on methods of gathering yabbies, especially the prohibition of "opera house" nets and other enclosed nets for the capture of yabbies and other freshwater crayfish in rivers and streams relate more to the protection of other wildlife, such as platypus and water rats, than to any attempt to restrict the take of yabbies.

In farm dams, yabbies are usually gathered using drag nets, and this can very quickly harvest a large number.

Yabbies themselves, in the smaller sizes, make excellent bait for the larger native fish, being an important part of the diet of many species.
On the table

Yabbies are excellent eating. They can be simply boiled for a few minutes in salted water or prepared in a variety of ways. They have a very sweet meat and the claws of larger specimens are particularly succulent. Compared to spiny freshwater crayfish, yabbies have much more meat for the size of the animal, although yabbies are much smaller than crays. A feed of yabbies is one of the most delicious meals you can try.

Tim Dreas
April 19, 2005, 05:59
BARBEQUED GARLIC YABBIES
Serves 2

INGREDIENTS
1kg Yabbies
2 Crushed Garlic Cloves
2 Onions Diced
Olive Oil

METHOD
Either cut yabbies in half down centre or break tails from yabbies. Fry on a hot plate in oil, crushed garlic and onion until bright red, approximately 5 minutes.

ggiilliiee
April 19, 2005, 12:02
what is the aussie term for .....get these flies outa my sinuses

1stSSPZ
April 20, 2005, 16:01
Cool, but what does the rifle look like?

1 More Aussie
April 20, 2005, 18:39
Originally posted by SLR-5000
Wagga Wagga (in Oz) and Walla Walla (in US) are both shit hole towns, I live in both for a while.
Pat

Oi ! Whassamatter with Wagga Wagga ?!?:redface:

Gunny71
July 15, 2005, 12:35
Call em crawfish down here, or just mudbugs....one of my favorites, especially boiled up with new potatoes corn on tha cob...MMMMM-MMMM. Next time I get some Ill call em yabbies and see how long it takes dem coonasses to figure out what im talkin about!:beer:

Lee Carpentieri
December 29, 2007, 19:56
Sounds like the down under crayfish or CRAWDAD as they say in Louisana.

Tak
January 06, 2008, 22:47
Wagga Wagga.....it really does sound like some kind of bad illness does'nt it...he he......mind you mate...the Vic Hotel always kept me entertained when I was in town.

I thought it was a Ford (fighting words to a Holden man) in the Mad Max flicks....but yes...a Torana is a car.....of the right brand as well...:tongue:

Andy:)

FYI - It was an Australian Ford Falcon XB GT with a Ford 351 c.i. (5.7 litre) Cleveland motor 4-barrel carb and a Weiand (fake) blower atop it all. The Falcon was the Australian Ford division's bastard child of a Mustang and a Torino. They sell for big bucks nowadays.

zb-30
March 19, 2008, 22:14
Does anyone have a chart for British L1a1 fitments similar to the Aussie L1a1 chart posted by NZ L1a1 Collector?