1. 1954 X8E1 British trials rifle magazine follower
2. Standard FAL magazine follower
3. German G1 FAL magazine follower
4. Israeli FAL magazine follower

NZ L1A1 Collector
September 28, 2003, 23:20
FAL Base Plate

1. 1954 X8E1 British trials rifle
2. German G1 FAL base plate NSN 1005-13-100-0225 (standard FAL base plate without the NSN No.)
3. Israeli FAL modified OR made base plate
4. FN FAL 'Tab' version of base plate

Rooster
September 29, 2003, 00:03
You always have a little piece of info that is nice to know but not quite necessary. I like it. Keep it up.

James
September 29, 2003, 11:03
Posted by Rooster:
You always have a little piece of info that is nice to know but not quite necessary. I like it. Keep it up.

Not quite necessary? How can you make a statement like that? You don't know what everyone else on this board or views this board wants to know. I like and appreciate all the work that Kevin does to help enlighten everyones knowledge of FAL releated items.

Thanks for the pictures Kevin.

James

flight 556
September 29, 2003, 12:40
Pay close attention to the rolled edges at the bottom of the magazine which are the basis for the support of the floorplate. The designers and toolmakers of the mags with wide support lips on the fold at the bottom were thinking. Most of the factory floorplates were not heat treated and can be bent too easily. The FN tab was the superior design as far as the floorplate goes.

R4 fan
September 29, 2003, 14:48
Posted by Rooster:

Not quite necessary? How can you make a statement like that? You don't know what everyone else on this board or views this board wants to know. I like and appreciate all the work that Kevin does to help enlighten everyones knowledge of FAL releated items.

Thanks for the pictures Kevin.

James

I agree with James. I like to know everything I can for identifying FAL parts. Some people can look at a pile of metric FAL parts from different countries and not be able to tell the difference. I know very few others (one personally) who can identify parts by appearance.

I have some range FAL mags that I just found out one was Israeli, after enough paint wore off to see the lightly stamped hebrew glyph on the side. Being able to spot Israeli magazines alone by the magazine follower is a plus for me.

Now that flight 556 mentions it, out of coincidence I just noticed the the mags with wide support lips on the bottom the other day, but I'm glad he brought that point up.

Thanks for the info Kevin and flight 556!

cliffy109
September 29, 2003, 19:49
Y'all are being too hard on Rooster. Read his comment closer. He appreciates the fact that somebody took the time to look into something as trivial as the origin of followers and baseplates. What real world use is this? Probably none, unless you are anal retentive like most of us here are.

Now from one MAUI to another... thanks NZ.

(Maui you ask? Master of Aquired Useless Information)

R4 fan
September 29, 2003, 22:35
I'm not being too hard on Rooster. The origin of followers and baseplates has real world use for me. The anal retentive need to know all trivial facts and information. :rolleyes:

:biggrin:

NZ L1A1 Collector
September 29, 2003, 23:16
Firstly. Rooster I take no offence at what you have written, I can see the point you are making, and thank you for the kind words.
the rest of you "chill-out" and re-read what he posted, it was a complement :-)

I like to check and see what the differences are with things. In this case FAL mags. Unfortunately I only have 9 FAL mags to examine so the ID'ing is a little hard. FAL mags in New Zealand are few and far between (= expensive).

I'm interested in what others have figured out in regards to the magazines as to origin, case design, base plates and followers. Anyone able to post a pic of all the different US made followers..... or is that base plates for the FAL?

EMDII
September 30, 2003, 10:36
Kevin-
Seems I have a rollicking I/E business w/ your part of the world. For which magazine do you search in particular? 20x Metric, Inch, 30x? I 'may' have a few spares.
:wink:

Hawkish
October 08, 2003, 19:41
Great thread!!! I love trying to figure out where this stuff comes from!! I just received a box of $3 mags from Antares. (metric 20 rnd) Took them all apart and gave them a bath and oiled them up.

All have type 2 followers with type 4 base plates. The mag bodies have tapered flanges. No markings.

I'm curious about whitness holes. I have 4 with 3 holes in each. Are there variations on this? How about the tack welds? All mine have 2

:?