PDA

View Full Version : WECSOG: cleaning method for FAL

W.E.G.
September 22, 2003, 22:17
My after-range-trip method for keeping my FAL's rust-free is:

Remove the upper from the lower (takes 30 seconds)

Remove handguards (takes 30 seconds)

Remove gas plug, piston and spring (takes 30 seconds)

Remove top cover, bolt carrier and bolt (takes 30 seconds)

Hold stripped upper assembly over utility sink, and spray LIBERAL quantity of Break-Free into both ends of the gas tube, both ends of the barrel, and all over the front sight and gas nut (takes 30 seconds)

Allow excess to drip into sink (takes 30 seconds)

Use can of compressed air to blow excess out the barrel and gas tube and from around the front sight assembly (takes 30 seconds)

Wipe excess slop from exterior of upper assembly with paper towel (takes 30 seconds)

Use sloppy paper towel to wipe scuzz off bolt, bolt carrier, gas piston, spring, and plug. (takes 30 seconds)

Reassemble (takes 2 minutes)

YES, I know that some manual somewhere says "Don't lubricate the gas system." I say BULL-F***ING-$***. I've let too damn many good guns go to rust to listen to that crap anymore. Whoever wrote that manual needs to be smacked.

After the above described prophylactic application, you may fire your FAL whenever you like. The Break Free will burn off (and create a little bit of smoke) after the first magazine, without leaving any harmful goop. I've done it a hundred times.

Whatever damage you did is done. Don't go overboard trying to "fix" the rust damage. The best way to deal with it is to use good 'ol Break Free and some bronze wool. (Bronze wool will not remove bluing or parkerizing).

Muggzy
September 23, 2003, 07:14
Heck with that! I'll just take her to the car wash:D the wax cycle really makes her shine:rofl:

W.E.G.
September 23, 2003, 07:41
Remember, this is just the rust-prevention step.

I should add, it is a good idea to pull/push a patch through the bore to swab any excess that the compressed air doesn't remove.

Use a bore brush if you feel it is necessary. Don't overdo it on a rack-grade battle rifle.

Jailguard
September 23, 2003, 09:01
Gary I oil my gas system also. I live near the coast and would rather burn off the oil than scrub rust

MetalKnight
September 23, 2003, 14:40
Southern WECSOG cleaning method for FAL = Drink last 2 beers from case. Douse FAL rifle with gasoline and/or karosene and apply match. Stand clear. Hopefully you did this outdoors. If in kitchen sink, apply the Kidde fire suppression NOW! and/or call fire department. Call fire department direct (use speed dial) DO NOT call 911 :wink:

If outdoors (like ya shoulda done in the first place), open second case of Blue Ribbon. Commence ta droppen yer draarws and you-rin-ate on that bon-fire till flames is out. (kills two birds here) Wait till cool. Drink 2 more beers. Scrape off old crusty gease/oil/you-rin and run CLP patch down bore. Squirt CLP all over rifle. Shake off excess. You now have a clean rifle and have enhanced that black finish that is so desireable. Replace charred/melted furniture with one of the 40 or so sets you have layin' around from prior builds or compulsive purchases. :biggrin:

MK

W.E.G.
September 23, 2003, 20:48
I think this is the part where I need to remind everybody that ammonia will neutralize the corrosive salts known to exist in some nasty lots of ammo. The body produces ammonia through the natural elimination process.

So long as you are drinkin' all that beer while cleaning your FAL, you might as well not let anything go to waste. Just place your nozzle in the chamber and let fly. If you are really coordinated, you can hold the rifle so that your little toe works as a plug for the muzzle. Keep the flow going until there is liberal overflow. Be sure to save one beer to drink while you are "lettin' it set" so as the ammonia can do its work.

It takes some practice to do this right. I found it necessary to remove the dust cover in order to get a good seal between the nozzle and the chamber. Just not enough room to navigate in there otherwise.

Reverse the rifle and use your booger-pickin' finger as a plug on the receiver end of the gas tube while you pinch the vent holes. Use nozzle to dispense byproduct of that last beer into the gas tube.

Dry rifle using the kerosene method stated above.

nvcdl
September 24, 2003, 19:36
My method is much simpler.

Open action, remove cover, remove bolt/carrier, remove gas plug, piston spring.

Put liberal amount of Ed's Red on patch run thru bore (from chamber end). Then run same patch into gas tube. Repeat above using dry patch. If feeling ambitious run bore brush thru barrel a dozen times.

Run another wet patch thru bore and gastube. Clean piston with wet patch, reassemble gas system, install bolt/carrier. cover, close rifle and put in case.

55bird
September 24, 2003, 20:41
Field-strip,brush on hoppes#9 or whatever your choice of solvent.Then spray with the cheapest version of brake-leen you can find.After dry relubricate using your favorite choice.Then ready to rock and roll.Go Arnold!

HK33K
September 25, 2003, 02:37
Ya gotta clean them!?

AZ_gun_nut
September 25, 2003, 09:00
Originally posted by gary.jeter
I think this is the part where I need to remind everybody that ammonia will neutralize the corrosive salts known to exist in some nasty lots of ammo. The body produces ammonia through the natural elimination process.

So long as you are drinkin' all that beer while cleaning your FAL, you might as well not let anything go to waste. Just place your nozzle in the chamber and let fly. If you are really coordinated, you can hold the rifle so that your little toe works as a plug for the muzzle. Keep the flow going until there is liberal overflow. Be sure to save one beer to drink while you are "lettin' it set" so as the ammonia can do its work.

It takes some practice to do this right. I found it necessary to remove the dust cover in order to get a good seal between the nozzle and the chamber. Just not enough room to navigate in there otherwise.

Reverse the rifle and use your booger-pickin' finger as a plug on the receiver end of the gas tube while you pinch the vent holes. Use nozzle to dispense byproduct of that last beer into the gas tube.

Dry rifle using the kerosene method stated above.

I'm F***KING dying here.... ROFL

Gremper
September 25, 2003, 20:13
Just watch out when you close that puppy...It could make a zipper snag fade to insignificance!

ThunderGod
September 25, 2003, 21:51
:rofl: :rofl: *inhale beer* *choke* *gasp*:rofl: :rofl:

Dr. Nick Riviera
September 26, 2003, 19:57
All these years of lost ammonia-kleen...:rolleyes:

EMDII
September 27, 2003, 06:12
:rofl:
I am ROTFLMDAO! OK, it stays in the 'Lore' section of R&D!

PS- I still wipe off my piston(s)!
:uhoh:

1MOR
November 27, 2003, 21:51
Been using that method on Glocks for years, with one improvement. I take 10mg of Lipitor daily. So I get to clean and lube in one step!!!

English Mike
November 29, 2003, 16:43
Better yet.
Ballistol Human is available in digestible glycerine pearles.
"Take one before cleaning gun":biggrin: