View Full Version : Manuals: Recommendations on books?

June 29, 2003, 17:31
I am waiting for the dellivery of my first FAL. I preparation I would like to know if there are any reference books, manuals, etc., available that I should pick up. I have only fired one FAL, and I fell in love at first shot. I'm sure this new addiction is going to cost me, but I'm hooked.

I would like info on trouble shooting, maintainance and so forth. Any advice?

June 29, 2003, 17:54
One book that you should pick up is "The Fal Rifle" by Collector Grade Publications Inc. It's more of a data/reference book not a users guide. "The Fal Rifle" is very detailed in illustrations and can help you completely disassemble or build the Fal, and it discusses both the inch and metric versions as well as the various models from all the other major nations. It cost a little under a $100, but well worth the price.

June 29, 2003, 21:28
Small Arms Identification Series (SAIS # 12)
7,62 mm L1 & C1 FAL Rifles by Ian Skennerton.

June 29, 2003, 21:31
‘SLR- AUSTRALIA’S FN FAL’ Skennerton & Balmer
Hard & soft cover editions, 9½ x 6 in., 122 pages, 200 illustrations, hard cover edition w/ dust jacket, 1989. ISBN 0 949749 13 3. The 7.62mm L1A1 was made in Britain, Canada and Australia with interchangeable parts and accessories under NATO. Auto, target & experimental models, Australian fittings & accessories are detailed. Appendix includes a full serial number dispersion list. PB $19.95, HC $29.50

June 29, 2003, 21:34
Delta Press

FN-FAL Auto Rifles

The complete manual for one of the most effective battle rifles ever made. If you own a FN-FAL you need this book. Fully illustrated with photos & drawings on almost every one of its 130 pages.

(basically a reprint of a factory FN manual, buy if you find it cheap at a gunshow)

June 29, 2003, 21:36
Tapco.com has a really good deal

Our Price: $39.99
Item#: ZMAN2401

Have we got a special treat for you guys this week! For this week only we have an outstanding reference book combo for you at an unbeatable price! Included in this combo are the following books and manuals.

1) Das Gewehr Kaliber 7.62MM FN, which is a translated version of the original manual on the G1.

2) The Manual of Land and Warfare teaches one how to use and operate the 7.62MM L1A1 properly.

3) The Australian 7.62MM Rifle Book is a technical brochure on Australian 7.62MM rifles.

4) Next we have the Australian Brochure Supplement that supplements the Australian Rifle Book

5) Finally, we have the English version of the Light Automatic Rifle Cal 7.62MM - Imbel. This book goes into the teachings of the proper use and operations of the Imbel rifle.

Right now, you can get this combo for $39.99! IF you were to buy all of these books separately you would spend $60.95. That is a $30.96 savings! And you'll get a great start to the reference section of your FAL/L1A1 collection!

June 29, 2003, 22:45
You might also consider the American Gunsmithing Institute Video. I believe it is on sale now at Sportsmans Guide.

June 30, 2003, 06:15
Gunplumber's Guide to FN FAL Home Gunsmithing Video & Workbook.

Covers all aspects of building a FAL with your receiver and FAL parts kit. Includes tools, selecting and preparing parts; barreling and timing; adjusting headspace; tuning gas system for optimal performance; customizing; complete disassembly & reassembly, function testing and troubleshooting. Covers Inch, Metric, Israeli and Indian models. 2 Volume digitally produced and edited standard play VHS (5 hours). Workbook compliments video with technical specifications, home-made tool drawings, vendor listings, schematics, and much more. 75+ pages. $60 for the set, delivered.

June 30, 2003, 08:20
“You might also consider the American Gunsmithing Institute Video.”

“Gunplumber's Guide to FN FAL Home Gunsmithing Video & Workbook.”

I own and recommend both.

FAL Friend
June 30, 2003, 18:57
Dido all the above. And another vote for "The Fal Rifle" by R. Blake Stevens. If you can only buy one guide to the FAL, get this one:bow: Gunthings (http://gunthings.com/faltools.htm) has it for $89.00, Tapco (http://www.tapco.com/product_information.asp?number=BK2481&back=yes&dept=150&last=) for $99.99

July 06, 2003, 13:23
PLEASE go HERE in R&D Forum, and CLICK on the "MANUALS" link (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60277)

May 23, 2005, 20:52
Everyone said everything. Only one comment will I expound upon. The FalFiles. IMHO, this very website is THE final work, living work, on everything FAL. I continue to be astounded at the depth, breadth and constant supply of information concerning the rifle and ALL the varients. Subject matter will range from the mundane wiping of a barrel with lube, to the machining of a part or tool from the basic raw material. Basic shop skills, not necessarily discussed in reference to gunsmithing, are taught, argued and relagated to the TOP with a sticky and eighty-sixed to the Basement for combat ad nauseum.

Read the FAQ's, the R&D, the Reviews. Spend a couple of weeks worth of free time. That'll put a minor scratch in the surface of the massive quantity of info here. For free.

Of course, one can always be gratuitous and pitch a bit in for the Files! :|

Enjoy. I am ! :biggrin: