View Full Version : Ident: what is a "DD" stamped bolt

June 18, 2003, 22:06
I have a bolt for a FAL rifle the bolt has "DD" stamped on it and nothing else. It as a 2 piece firing pin and a smaller size extractor [meaning the "claw" area] Has anyone else got one like this? Where did it come from?
Mucho thanks

June 19, 2003, 08:54
If it is under the bolt in "slanted" surface I think you have australian bolt DD is either date or factory+date code. they are explained somewhere in the files archive. (USE SEARCH)
My australian bolt has DT code and it has small extractor (unlike british "wide" extr)

NZ L1A1 Collector
June 20, 2003, 03:53
DD and DT are stamped on Australian made L1A1 Breech Block and are the Steel Batch Marks (SBM)

DD breech blocks were made in 1959

DT breech blocks were made in 1964

The smaller 'claw' extrators could be the 2nd or 3rd patterns, the wide 'claws' being the 1st pattern.

June 20, 2003, 04:06
Thank you!
My rifle is serialled AD68015xx with that DT bolt.
I got the receiver, lower, HTS&other small parts, bolt carrier&bolt without barrel, PG, HG or stock.
They were unused with fair amount of bad storage/humidity damage.
Got together with brit plastics&barrel beadblast&hotblue.

NZ L1A1 Collector
June 20, 2003, 04:33
Your rifle was part of a batch AD6800442 - AD6802767 sold to the Australian Army in 1968

It is standard to have earlier 'dated' parts on a rifle as parts were grabbed from bins of parts and really the rifle is ASSEMBLED in the year the serial number states. In surveys I have done it is only the body and barrel that actually appear to be from the same production year as the serial number states.

June 21, 2003, 08:58
Thanks Kevin for all the great information!!

Ted this should be moved into the FAQ's section

June 21, 2003, 09:03
We already have a relatively coherent index of these facts about Aussie SNs and heat lots (batch marks). I'll troll around and make sure I catch them, and this one.