PDA

View Full Version : OT: I want a millitary style bolt action 5.56mm

KingSlug
July 18, 2001, 16:56
I want a rifle like the FR-8s. You know short and heavy iron sights, preferably with a mauser action. I doubt any one made any of these, because the 5.56 mm came in after every one abandoned the bolts.

Any ideas?

KingSlug

archy
July 18, 2001, 17:08
Well, the Spanish *Destroyer Carbines* chambered in 9mm Largo had a bolt face pretty close to that of the .223. If you'd section the action at the magazine well and lengthen it there, you might get something workable out of it.

Alternatively, if a straight-pull bolt action would work for you, a CZ52 rifle action [in the original 7,62x45 chambering, not one of the redone Vz52/56 in 7,62x39] is likely long enough for the .223 cartridge, though the bolt face and probably the extractor will need some rework. A .223 AK magazine would seem to be a possible feed device starting point....

There's said to be a fella working on a .223 barrel for the Remington 870 shotgun action, which ought to be interesting if it's a repeater.

DABTL
July 18, 2001, 18:22
CZ makes a Mauser in all kinds of calibers. Looking at that action makes you think of the Kaiser.

The stock looks a bit civilian but it can be sexed up.

tunashark
July 18, 2001, 19:30
There's a rifle called the CAM made in the UK that takes M16 magazines. I would love to find one. I am working on a conversion of a Lee-Enfield No. 5 to .223. I've already had an English gunsmith manufacture a new bolt head for .223 Remington with an integral ejector and and extractor like the M16. That cost more than the original Enfield. Now I just have to get it barreled. My plan is to modify an R4 M16 magazine adaptor in the magazine well so that I can easily use detachable magazines.
But I still want a CAM rifle. Anybody got one for sale?