PDA

View Full Version : Magazines: Who made straight Metric 30x mags?

762minigun
February 22, 2003, 17:55
?

762minigun
February 22, 2003, 20:29
I need to clairify alittle more. This mag is'nt welded,taped,riveted screwed or glued together. This mag is straight and factory .BTW I tried the search feature Ted.
edit: not a altered L4A1 Bren mag

FN74
February 22, 2003, 21:35
Saw some original belgian mags a while back that were straight 30's. Probably belgian.

kfranz
February 23, 2003, 00:36
IIRC, South Africa also made them.

762minigun
February 23, 2003, 00:56
This one has no markings at all. Do the Belgian or South African have any distintive featuers, to tell them apart? The mag in Question is unused as far as I can tell and appears to have never been in a rifle . It has some sort of black oxide finish it dosn't look like paint.

Finski
February 23, 2003, 03:33
Mine R1 30rd is atleast blued, and made of thin steel sheet(weak) compred to L4a1 Bren mag its lousy(hate to admit but I have couple INDIAN made bren(7,62N) mags that more solid feeling)

Finski

Falfegnügen
February 23, 2003, 11:52
Here are some pics, let me know if you want to see something specific and I'll take a picture for you.

These are (top to bottom), South African 30-rnd (blued-outside, hard chrome inside), Australian L2A1 30-rnd, and British L4A1 30-rnd.

http://scottgs.dynip.com/pictures/firearms/FAL-L1A1/Magazines/30_round_Mag_Comparison_sideview.jpg

http://scottgs.dynip.com/pictures/firearms/FAL-L1A1/Magazines/30_round_Mag_Comparison.jpg

EMDII
February 23, 2003, 12:02
The FAQs "Eureka" link will have your post included now. THANKS for the great pics FALophile!

762minigun
February 23, 2003, 12:20
Falophile,SA mags had hard chrome inside?
The mag I have has a standard floor plate the spring looks like the one for the 20 round mag but with a few more coils on it .The mag body is pretty heavy steel . It's fairly sturdy,it looks like a streached out 20 round mag. Did any aftermarket companys like U.S.A. make a 30 round mag ?

762minigun
February 23, 2003, 12:27
Anybody got a good pic of a belgian mag ?
Falophile thanks for the pics

EMDII
February 23, 2003, 17:03
Voila! (that's French, BTW!)
:wink:

Courtesy of Kevin Adams, who owns the copyright to the pic.

762minigun
February 24, 2003, 07:59
I meant a 30X mag Ted ,but thanks anyway. I really need to get another digi cam. I could post a pic and this would be settled.

EMDII
February 28, 2003, 07:08
VOILA!

fal fiend
August 17, 2003, 10:03
i bought a few of the 30 rders tapco is selling,,they look different on the side than the 1 in the pic above:)

Peter Wells
August 18, 2003, 08:01
My 0.02c worth.

The only South African made ones I have seen (other than those known to have been re-finished by our local collectors/shooters) were of the same guage steel as the 20s, had quite serious/ugly forming marks (horizontal scratches), a 'thinish' blue finish and no markings at all. Real cheap looking but the intended users were Unita so it figgers. I have not been able to find out who produced them but it was almost certainly a company sub-contracted to LIW.

That's not to say that better grade gun-koted ones weren't made but I've never seen them. I would be VERY suprised to hear that any were chromed internally.

Something I do have that I have not been able to ID is a slightly curved metric 30rder made in stainless - no finish. Locally sourced but of unknown origin.:confused:

Falfegnügen
August 18, 2003, 16:08
Originally posted by Peter Wells
My 0.02c worth.

The only South African made ones I have seen (other than those known to have been re-finished by our local collectors/shooters) were of the same guage steel as the 20s, had quite serious/ugly forming marks (horizontal scratches), a 'thinish' blue finish and no markings at all. Real cheap looking....

....I would be VERY suprised to hear that any were chromed internally.

Peter, your description of the 30 rnd South Afrikan magazine fits the one in my photo above, except it's chromed inside...or maybe it's stainless. But then I didn't know you could blue stainless? It's definitely got crappy thin blued finish. It was a very recent import from Rhodesia, last year I believe. It was with other 30 rounders that were somewhat cheap looking, painted and definitely not plated inside.

Peter Wells
August 19, 2003, 01:31
Very interesting Falophile (and nice pics Ted and Kevin)

The Rhodesians were/are a very resourceful/indivualistic crowd so I would guess (only a guess mind you) that somebody decided to jazz up their mag/s although what they would hope to achieve by doing that escapes me.

Also, I think some more technically minded people than I would suggest that it would not be a simple job to plate just the inside of a mag. Try a dab of cold blue solution to see if it's not just polished on the inside (a possible attempt to make it feed 'upward' better on a FAL rather than 'downward' for a BREN?)

PS. Although I am sure that some 30rdsers were used on FALs they were not a std issue item, probably private purchase, or else they may have been used on the 7.62mm BRENs that we supplied them. I have not been able to find any reference as to what accessories etc. were supplied along with the guns.

762minigun
April 10, 2008, 00:22
WOW talk about a blast from the past.... :eek: