PDA

View Full Version : gas prices.buy cheap & sell dear?

standingbear
February 16, 2003, 14:51
i drive an hour 1 way to work each day.gas prices vary,in small towns i go through,they are now 1.95-215 gallon.along freeway they are now 1.60/gallon for the same gas.they jumped last few weeks up 30 or more cents per gallon.they have not been this high since 9/11(which some gas stations were fined for gouging customers-5.00/gallon that 9/11 evening)anyhow,a AAA spokesperson was on the news talking about the high gas prices.said that the prices dont reflect crude prices and the problem is not from refinery troubles(what it was blamed on last time)but rather consumer demand.i can say that on monday,it was 2.00,tuesday,187 and wed it jumps back to 195-for the same gas.if this is not price gouging,then what the heck is it.along the same lines,another news show was saying that there is a shortage.so which is it?a shortage,consumer demand or are they just making excuses to gouge people-again?

DABTL
February 16, 2003, 15:46
Ronald Reagan put America out of the oil business in 1981.

Bush, the elder, completed the process during his administration.

The US now gets its oil supplies from Mexico and Venezeula while Europe gets its supplies from Iraq and Saudi.

The European countries are stockpiling in the event of war knowing it will interrupt the supply line for at least a few months. That is causing a supply deficiency. The Venezuelan oil workers are on strike adding to the deficit.

No one in Texas is willing to spool up the oil production because of the costs involved and Bush not committing to American production, it will be higher than currently priced crude.

I live in a petroleum producing patch and we have drilled about 500 wells in my county in the past two years for natural gas. No one is drilling for oil and the equipment is at least 20 years old that is being used. No one is making new equipment either.

Wait till you see how much gasoline costs in May.:cry:

masman
February 16, 2003, 18:42
Originally posted by DABTL
Wait till you see how much gasoline costs in May.:cry: im waiting to see how long these "i don't put anything but super in my car" guys will hold out.

Falunga
February 16, 2003, 18:50
How about the guys who put in the hot cams and pistons who have no choice?

If it aint knockin' it's got enough octane!

I run the 87 stuff in my Camry and it has pleanty of power at 225K still.

Jim :fal: FALunga

fireback
February 17, 2003, 00:33
Well crap, so much for a roller cam stroker small block for my '69 Cornet. Looks like I'll be lookin' to find a slant six instead.:cry: :cry: :cry:

Heck, I found out that locally, no fuel companys are taking contracts for diesel fuel. You pay pump price and take delivery today!

I may have to raffle an FAL to raise funds for fuel to farm this year. Here I try to help feed a hungry nation, and this is the thanks I get. :confused: :(

Mebsuta
February 17, 2003, 01:10
U.S. oil imports: top 20 countries of origin

http://www.ott.doe.gov/facts/archives/images/fotw246.gif

http://www.ott.doe.gov/facts/archives/fotw246.shtml

I think exploration and production in Texas is a losing proposition until crude prices get to around $35.00/barrel and stay there. I think you'd have to slap a tariff on imported crude and relax environmental restrictions to get our guys back in the game. We have some reserves offshore and of course in Alaska, but politics have put these out of reach. Oh well, there's always somebody overseas willing to do business. People can be goofy; folks get bent out of shape over an oil rig or a refinery, but everyone wants to drive a car, run the AC at home, turn on the lights, and play on the computer all night.

Sailor553
February 17, 2003, 08:42
I'm still trying to decipher why the cost of Gulf Coast natural gas rises with OPEC increases.