PDA

View Full Version : ??? for Jeter et als: High Power Shootin'

BattlePack
February 13, 2003, 08:04
I'm just a country boy from VA with not much practical shooting experience past about 100 yards. I'm intrigued by seeing what high power shooting is all about. I'm only about an hour from Quantico, where I understand such shootin' occurs.

1. What books can ya'll recommend for learning the course of fire and sling positions?

2. What do I need to do to go visit Quantico and see how its done?

3. If I decide to get halfway serious, is an out of the box DCM service rifle from Armalite or RRA a good start?

Thanks for some enlightenment.

John

kotengu
February 13, 2003, 08:54
I'm not Senior Jeter (and haven't been shooting nearly as long), but David Tubb's "Highpower Rifle" is a good place to start for books on the subject. A lot of clubs put on "highpower clinics" periodically as well to help new shooters get started.

Jeter's in VA, IIRC, so he can probably set you up on the specifics at Quantico. At most places, you show up at registration time, pay your fee, and shoot - it's that simple. Any club I've been to bend over backwards to welcome new shooter into the fold.

If you want to shoot service rifle a RRA is hard to beat. When you've been shooting long enough to be nit-picking your x-count you may want to send it off to John Hollinger for a tune up (trigger and sight job, maybe rebarrel).

Good luck and happy shooting!

W.E.G.
February 13, 2003, 14:56
Get this rifle (or similar product)
http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/dcm/pcwa2s20dcm8.asp
(ignore the MSRP, it costs a lot less if you shop carefully)
This rifle is all you need to shoot master-class scores.

Read what you can about sling positions. Not all positions work for all people. Find a position that you can comfortably and consistently obtain. If anybody tries to tell you different, they are wrong.

Go to this web site
http://users.erols.com/gary.jeter/index.htm

Prepare to muster EARLY in the morning on practice days.
The Virginia State Rifle Team welcomes all new shooters, so long as they understand that this is competitive training, and not an afternoon tin-can shooters' association. If that sounds blunt, please forgive me. But, I've unsuccessfully tried to kid-glove new shooters into the program. Now, I just tell it like it is.

I was active with the team from 1994 - 1999. I have been inactive with the team since my son started playing competitive baseball. I've got a few more years of baseball before I can get back to the rifle team on a regular basis. But, I still show up (on time) for a practice now and then.

The main contact for Quantico practices is Jim Morgan. Send me an email offline, and I'll give you his email address.

Also, there are "less formal" highpower activities (100-yard monthly matches) around VA in the Charlottesville, Richmond, Va. Beach, Williamsburg, and Roanoke areas.

BattlePack
February 13, 2003, 15:22
Sounds like I need to do a little research first and perhaps find a local clinic (for high power, not syphillis).