PDA

View Full Version : Preparedness and us FALers

AP101
February 10, 2003, 17:21
I know we all feel well prepared with our FAL's, but what other measures are we taking to keep ourselves and our loved ones safe? Some of you have to be kinda like me---my wife calls me paranoid---I say cautious. I am currently trying to find NBC filters for my gas mask, but am having a hard time most filters are only good for CN or CS gas---anybody have a "survival list" or plan of action? Don't think a terrorist NBC attack is far fetched---it's not----by the way before somebody asks incase you don't know NBC---is Nuclear, Biological and Chemical warfare talk-----any ideas or input would be apprecitaed:skull:

jfrost23
February 10, 2003, 17:35
I'm in the middle of making a list. I figure at least two months of food...more if possible...like 6 months...mostly canned food, including hams which have a 5-year shelf life according to the producer. I'm also saving to buy water disinfectant tablets, aerobic oxygen water purification, a water filter system that guards against pesticides and other chemicals as well as biological threats, fire starters and candles, kerosene for the heater, emergency food rations and survival food tabs, hygiene products, including hand and dish soaps, potassium iodate in case of radioactive fallout....and a lot of other stuff, including clothes, especially winter clothes. You can really make a long, long list....maybe garden seeds wouldn't hurt, since anyone's list is finite...there'll come a day when it will dwindle down to zero. Let's hope we don't have to go back to the 18th century.

AP101
February 10, 2003, 19:20
WOW---you seem like a very intelligent individual. I only know a little about a little. I have been in the Corps. for 6 years, I have the anthrax, and if I get shipped over to Kuwait I will get the smallpox. I was thinking more along the lines of secondary effects, not within the direct infection area. Same for nuclear{sp} I live in Pa. so I am right between N.Y. and Washington and there are also some military targets within Pa.---just a thought and I like to hear peoples ideas. I always planned more for a hasty evac. moving by vehicle or by foot if eventually necessary---I like the stockpiling in your house way to go too---sounds very interesting---thanks for the feedback----:bow:

Treborer
February 10, 2003, 22:15
go to the hardware and buy the paper masks- the kind with 2 rubber bands Spec. N-95 and keep them in purses, cars whatever, close by, for a family of four you'll be out $15.00 counting spares. 95% filtration and close by. God Bless . :angel:

warlord
February 11, 2003, 03:40
Originally posted by jfrost23 .mostly canned food, including hams which have a 5-year shelf life according to the producer.
Canned food where the container has not been damaged or buldged will last longer than 5 years. I was told that after a period of time, the TASTE of the food will deteriorate, but will be perfectly safe to eat.

I too hope that I never have to use my emergency survival food, people call me paranoid, but I have been called worst, so it is no big deal.

woodie
February 11, 2003, 04:24
I've gotten the shots for anthrax,,got a few cans of tuna and a 1/2 dozen cans of ranch style beans, and a fresh bag of chips and a new 30 pack. I'm set for another round of BS.

warden
February 11, 2003, 07:02
Hey Gary,
Very well said. It's great info that should be more widely put forth. The best fix is to stop it before it happens, the big hammer.

warden

FN74
February 11, 2003, 07:19
Well, many here gaff off prepardness, but not this marine.... Nor should you.

I have a gas mask - one of the M40 series, chem suit and three spare filters. problem is, knowing when to use it.... No NBC alarms in the neighborhood....

However, if there is a creeping cloud of yellow gas (which happens often here when trains derail...) and people are collapsing around me, think I'll opt for the safety of the mask until I get to high ground or a safe area.

There are many things to prepare for.

safe Water is probably the most important - I use a katadyn Combi filter - good for 14000 gallons of drinking water purification.

Communications is next. Yeasu FT50R here, VX5R soon. HAM licensed myself. FRS radios are cheap commom and abundant and sub nicely for a small unit TACCOM. (2mile range)

Defense - well, lets just say myself, the wife and all our family is covered with NATO caliber weapons systems...

New house has well and septic, I'm buying a diesel genset ASAP. We'll be self sufficiant. Good thing about the deep south - I can grow vegis about 10 months out of the year on average, and in a hothouse, 12 month growing season.

Keep up your preparedness. Quarentine areas may be sealed in a hurry if they are few and spread out, but if some mass cotastrophe breaks out, you can guarentee it'll take them at least 48 hours to mobilise, identify and cutoff escape routes from just the major cities. If you're in the country, then you have even more time.

Good luck, and Semper Fi!

SOF
February 11, 2003, 10:44
The Fed's propaganda is falling on deaf ears in my home. Nothing has changed for me. Getting killed on the way home from work by a teenage driver is my biggest concern. Rattle your sabres, I'll just put plugs in my ears.......

Ohfal
February 11, 2003, 11:21
Although Iím prepared for a fairly lengthy stand-off on the home front, with provisions and defenses, (a few friends call my place the Central Command Outpost) if it gets as bad as has been depicted in some of the Sci Fi type catastrophe movies, I donít know that I want to survive. I mean really, what would be the point. If civilization breaks down there will be no gun shows, no FAL files, no vendors to send all my $ to. Geezz, what kind of life would that be?

Farmer from Hell
February 11, 2003, 21:54
Gary hit the nail on the head. You should be prepared to hole up for at least a couple days. I dont know if I would tape plastic up to my windows unless I lived in the city but maybe Im wrong. Lawlessness could be prevelent to in the event of a shut down so keep that in mind also and think about having a castle mentality.

OBL popping out of his hole today along with the other factors makes things seem like they are coming to a head. The Bitch is riding along in my truck now along with some feed. Im old enough to remember what that Paki done at the front gate of the CIA and I dont live that far from NSA. I aint checking out like that.

FfH

Carp Killer
February 11, 2003, 22:49
gary.jeter In the event of a major bio-attack, don't plan on driving very far. There will be a quarantine like nothing you ever imagined. If you are in the defined area, you will be arrested if you attempt to leave. Vehicles covered with Anthrax spores will be gathered-up and destroyed. Remember that clause in your insurance policy about "acts of war?" Entire cities could be evacuated.

I agree with gary. But to get the most bang for the buck, I would think the terrorists would hit a major population center. So get out of the citys ASAP. And up wind of the prevailing weather pattern. I have relatives who were in that earthquake that happened in Santa Cruz county in California a few years ago. One of the first things the gov did was shut down the roads into the area. And it didn't take long. So one of the best things to do is to be in a location where you could ride out some kind of disaster BEFORE it happens. It takes alot of the guess work out of preparation.

doubletap
February 12, 2003, 10:03
Originally posted by jfrost23
I'm in the middle of making a list. I figure at least two months of food...more if possible...like 6 months...mostly canned food, including hams P Let's hope we don't have to go back to the 18th century.

Heck personally I could live with the 18th century, it's the 14th century and back that scares me!

scottymetz
February 12, 2003, 12:09
anybody know of any LEGITIMATE web sites for good preparedness info(beyond buying more FAL mags)? i live an hour from D.C. and i have family very close to the city.i would have to assume they would be guests for awile if possible.i don;t dwell on this stuff,but couldn't live with the fact that i let my family suffer or worse because i didn't take some precautions or was afraid of looking paranoid!one more thing,did anyone see Daschle's sound bite responce to "duct taping the windows with plastic"?he said something to the effect of"i think we have to t\do better than duct tape for homeland defense".purely political from what i can see,if you dont have anything constructive to say than don't.some of these guys are nothing short of traitors IMHO

lmsc07ct
February 12, 2003, 12:28
Originally posted by scottymetz
anybody know of any LEGITIMATE web sites for good preparedness info(beyond buying more FAL mags)?

www.frugalsquirrels.com

Go to the forums, register, and do a search first on all your questions. There's alot more info there past "buy more ammo" and this site will serve you well.

FWIW, the radio shack DX-398 radio is a Sangean 909, good am/fm/all band radio, and it's on clearance for $99 if you can find any left. Charlotte NC has several left, maybe you're close enough to have them transfer one. It will provide entertainment and info if TSHTF, and if you decide to add this radio to your preparedness routine later, it'll cost you $250 or so. I'd also suggest you go food shopping and stock up on extra non-perishable foodstuffs, you'll eat it anyway.

backhoe
February 13, 2003, 04:13
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/840488/posts

-Terror Tips--

MacAleese
February 13, 2003, 18:30
Well being a Haz-Mat responder........ For the chemical company I work for ........ I can tell you I'm ready! :biggrin: I've got top notch equipment at my disposal!:biggrin: Level A suit and a Scott SCBA anyone.......:biggrin: heehee!

On a serious note.......If something chem goes down in my neck of the woods..... I'm sure the 'Mutual Aid' agreement between my company and the local county/city 'Emergency Management' will come into play.....:rolleyes: I probably won't go......Being a private responder I have that option.......I guess!:rolleyes: Family comes first!

Pager....what pager....I did'nt hear it go off!:biggrin:

And all of you that are buying 'Gasmask' or 'Air Purifying Resperators'......... Remember.....If you have a beard, it will not seal, if you have stubble, etc,etc...it won't seal very good if at all! Long hair (bangs) that hang down in you face, will get in the way of the seal and you donning said mask! I've seen this problem especially with wimmins in training and drills :rolleyes: You wanna live...you gotta SHAVE everyday, Bwaaaaaaaahahaaaaa!!!!!! :D

During the last scare, when there was a run on gasmask, friend of mine owned a surplus store.....can't count the number of men that came in, with full beards, buying mask! Bwaaaaaha!