PDA

View Full Version : Ragpicker

Chip
February 10, 2003, 00:21
Listening to Mark Knopfler's album called Ragpickers Dream and was wondering what a Ragpicker was. I lived in England for three years back in the 60s and I knew then what it was, but have forgotten. I think it was a trash man, or second hand clothing man. Can limryinaz help me on this? Thanks, Chip

justashooter
February 10, 2003, 12:17
clothing rags were used in the manufacture of high grade paper, and could be sold to papermakers. one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Dean P
February 10, 2003, 12:40
And now they are on E-Bay

Chip
February 10, 2003, 23:54
Thanks for the info, limey. I think your right about it being a rag and bone man. I really enjoyed the TV show Steptoe and son when I was stationed over there. Very funny. I think it was better than Sanford and son. Chip

Sword of Laban
February 11, 2003, 19:22
Rag pickers picked threads out of cloth to resale the threads for paper production.

This is not to be mistaken with nose picker as the purpose of that is normally quite different.

spartacus2002
February 11, 2003, 19:45
Originally posted by limeyinaz
Chip, if you were in the UK at the time of "Steptoe and Son", you may have also seen "Til Death Do us Part" the basis for the US sitcom "All in the Family", another classic.

It amazes me how many Brit sitcoms were used as a basis for successful US comedies.

Oh, there go the British again, always claiming that whatever we come up with, they came up with FIRST!! First it was common law, now sitcoms; I'll bet you even have the gall to say that the British were here in America before us Americans were......

uh...uh.....ignore above:tongue: