PDA

View Full Version : db flame war is sad.

lost
February 08, 2003, 22:33
I finally drop to dumping brass to see a large # of the people
I have delt with on the boards in a Flame war with each other!
What started all this? The board has more members than ever.
We all have a common goal ( I hope). Keep the second ammendment intact ( as well as we can). And enjoy the hobby
. I came to this board a year or two ago.I happened across it.I liked the unity that I saw,so I joined.I didnt even own an FAL. I started reading posts, Asking what may have been stupid questions, Started buying parts (mostly other peoples spares) and putting things together.Then
I started trying to help others when I could. I can understand people upset with venders due to shipping prices,overgraded kits,overpriced small parts etc. But I dont understand the personal natured flames of members towards members. This is
deteriorating the quality of this board. We all have differences,But we all share common ground too.Lets all try to get back to common ground. I enjoy reading posts by id-subgun,
ud@100,E.R.,Temp,HD99,Jeter, and most of the others on the files. Lets not have "bored = barred". Im not posting this to flame anyone. Im just (LOST)

Pluribus
February 08, 2003, 22:55
Come's a time when the bitch don't know the pup no more. I agree that it's unfortunate, I did my first build in 94' after a lot of wheel spinning trying to find info to do it. Suffered a number of set back's before finding what I needed. Found this place about a year ago and thought " wow people that like the same type firearm's as I ". A lot of what I learned the hard way was confirmed as the norm. It was comforting.

I love you guy's :biggrin:

Snakeshot
February 08, 2003, 23:22
Why do you mention that here?

It's like bringing darkness to light.

Falunga
February 08, 2003, 23:32
That's what dumping brass is for! Sometimes the boys like to commence to fightin'. Let 'em knock out some teeth and pound some sense into each other. They will all feel better after they get it out of their systems. What do you think this is? the UN? Let 'em have their fun. It's all just words anyway. Remember the old saying, "Sticks and stones may break my bones..." Besides it's fun to watch and maybe even wade in a bit and throw a few punches.

Jim :FAL: FALunga

Templator
February 08, 2003, 23:49
Mostly it just seems silly,.... but I have fun jumping in and laughing about all of it.

Lately I've noticed a new activity,... calling people out by name to "do battle" in Dumping Brass. LOL! It's like being in Junior High and telling someone to meet you behind the smoking area at lunch time to settle a dispute. I look down there a coupla days ago and there's *my* nick heading a topic. I'm like,.. "What the hell does *he* want?" Then I read it and laughed out loud.

,... yeah,... it's been pretty silly down there lately,...but I don't think that all of those people are *really* as upset as they try to act,.... surely not,...

Jen
February 08, 2003, 23:56
Members have been banned, threads removed, etc.

We're all supposed to be adults here aren't we? I don't see why people need to become complete and total assholes online and start flame wars, name calling, race baiting, or making threats.

W.E.G.
February 09, 2003, 00:05
Originally posted by Jen
...We're all supposed to be adults here aren't we? I don't see why people need to become complete and total assholes online and start flame wars, name calling, race baiting, or making threats.

AMEN!

geerhed
February 09, 2003, 00:18
I've indulged in this admittedly juvenile behavior before, but I don't let it go beyond DB, i.e. I'm not rude or provocative to the person on any of the other forums. I figure that's about the limit.

Templator
February 09, 2003, 00:32
,... yeah,.. well,... about the worse that I do is occasionally call jabberts a dog pekker gnat,...but don't hold ya breath until I start feeling remorsefull about it.

That Mauser270abcdefg guy gets on my nerves too,.. always talkin all nutty, and shit.

I ain't Batman and he ain't the Riddler,... if he got somethin' ta say,.. he needs ta go on and do it,..

,.. but it ain't like I'm losin' any sleep over either of em,..

geerhed
February 09, 2003, 03:22
DABTL, on the other hand...well, he's fair game wherever you find him.:biggrin:

HD99FXR3
February 09, 2003, 20:01
I've indulged in this admittedly juvenile behavior before, but I don't let it go beyond DB, i.e. I'm not rude or provocative to the person on any of the other forums. I figure that's about the limit
me too, but i'm in it for the amusment factor. i will jump on the bait in a heart beat. sparing with words keeps the mind sharp and thinking. but some people want to start poo poo like Mr. pogo did with his sig line about harleys. so i naturaly took the bait and ran :D only he didn't like it to well when his sig line bit him back. and he started playing the "race card". and if you had the oppertunity to read what was posted, i didn't even cuss. except to call him a pompous ass.:shades:

Teleplayer
February 09, 2003, 21:03
Yeah, yeah, let's all just have group hug....The truth is that other than a love of FALs (and I would assume other personal weapons) there are very wide gaps in what the individual members/posters hold as virtuous here.

I used to think that gun people shared certain values...boy, was I in for a surprise. The main reason I've gotten into "spirited" discussions with persons here (many under the previous nom de plum of KJack) is that many here love the power and glory of the Government of the U.S. and confuse that with loving the country.

As Chesterton chided Kipling about his love of the U.K., Kipling loving the empire as opposed to loving his country because it was British.

Love of weapons doesn't even mean that a person is a shooter, or a hunter, or a worthy man to have in your foxhole. THAT much is true.

TREEGUNNER
February 09, 2003, 21:09
I agree that the Db area is for people to unload but it has gotten out of hand. I wouldn't want to have to try to play referee in there so I have to hand it to the MODs. I think if they keep it open people need to be a little more responsible.

paintballmagnet
February 09, 2003, 22:13
Sometimes we just have to face the fact that some people are very combative. I remember being called everything short of a moron because I stated that I had a preference for chrome lined barrels. ???

Batman
February 09, 2003, 22:22
Just for fun....who got the axe?!?!:uhoh: :eek: :p

Templator
February 09, 2003, 22:38
Originally posted by Teleplayer
many here love the power and glory of the Government of the U.S. and confuse that with loving the country.

Wish I'd strung those words together like that,..

You're exactly right,... and that's why they can be led around so easily by whatever buffoon will get us involved in a war.

ricochet
February 09, 2003, 23:12
Originally posted by Jen
Members have been banned, threads removed, etc.

We're all supposed to be adults here aren't we? I don't see why people need to become complete and total assholes online and start flame wars, name calling, race baiting, or making threats.

I have made a statement (or 2) that made folks upset, and I found myself dragged to the mud in DB. I tried to rectify the statements, and then I eliminated DB from my life. Seems some folk who look for a fight have a place to lower us all. I will make mistakes, but I will never again go to where some seem to desire. It is all about choices- Let them roll in their hatred, I desire the folks who are human (make mistakes), yet choose not to roll in the slop. You make your choices- I make mine (ain't that the beauty of living in a free land)? Avoid the minefield and let the others enjoy their miscontent. Vitrios behavior needs a place to ferment. And we need a place without them. Most of us are civil, yet many seek a fight. Seems db is where cyber fighters seem to go. They must be tough folk. I prefer the keyboard not for a fight.

Falunga
February 09, 2003, 23:57
Originally posted by ricochet

I prefer the keyboard not for a fight.

I know what you mean. I can type 20 WPM one-handed... :uhoh:

Jim :fal: FALunga

dadman
February 10, 2003, 05:33
Hardly look at DB or CF. Better things to do in life.

MagicAnimal
February 10, 2003, 11:13
If i haven't offended you, or someone near and dear, lately, get in line and wait your turn.

If i HAVE offended you, know that deep down inside (and right out in the open!) it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy....:D

John Randolph
February 10, 2003, 11:19
Perhaps the problem could be solved in a simple way.

Rather than having nicknames...we each post under our real first and last names (like jeter). Anonymous posts get deleted.

That way perhaps people will less likely behave like assholes, and if they have something interesting to say, they should at least be willing to attach their name to it.

The forum on www.tacticalshooting.com does the same thing.

Vanden Berg
February 11, 2003, 10:40
"Rather than having nicknames...we each post under our real first and last names (like jeter)."

Agreed :bow:

E

cadillac
February 11, 2003, 11:06
Originally posted by geerhed
DABTL, on the other hand...well, he's fair game wherever you find him.:biggrin:

I think that we need a DABTL Forum: Not exactly civil discourse, not quite Dumping Brass, just a place where a guy (or girl) can go to wipe their feet once in a while :wink:

Wadman
February 11, 2003, 11:27
I find all the banned folks, the flame wars, and talk of leaving the forum extremely ironic. Wasn't it just last month where there was a thread about how this forum shines above the rest? I recall people commenting on the merits of the FAL Files and its level of maturity, information, and usefulness. People were fleeing other forums and coming here in search of sanity.

What a difference a month makes. Now we have disgruntled folks and people making disparaging remarks about the mods (who just last month were lauded for their evenhanded approach to moderating!). We've got folks who knowingly err, get punished for it, and then complain about it. Personally, I refrained from adding to last months FAL Files Laurels thread because from all these years here, I know that with several hundred active members and almost 10,000 registered users that a few people just aren't going to get along.

Remember folks, this is the FAL Files, not the Utopia Files. We'll have good months and we'll have bad ones. I'll ride out this bad spell and wait for a really interesting and informative thread to come along.