View Full Version : Ident/India: Indian front sight and odd (Israeli) mag release

Jeffrey K Hampshire
January 21, 2003, 16:04
I just got this FAL today and noticed two things that were unusual.

#1 the mag release is deeper from front to rear and rounded on the bottom, there is a transverese hole in it and the serations extend from the back down around the rounded bottom. Very nice to use compared to standard.

#2 the gas block appears to be inch but did not have time to pull the handguards and check the barrel markings. The sight ears are open and this is the odd part. The sight post is threaded like an inch but has a square post on the top like an AR15 A2 post, instead of a set screw there is a round washer/plate with slots milled into the top opposed to each other and this threads over the post tightening against the top of the gas block (this part looks like the recoil tube/butt stock retainer from the rear).

Anyone have any idea where these came from and what they were on originally?

I have a couple pics but cannot post, will e-mail them if someone could post them.

January 21, 2003, 16:14
sounds like a indian barrel to me.

January 21, 2003, 16:14
sounds Israeli..............mag release is, probably the site post also. I do like the Izzy release!:p , orca

January 21, 2003, 16:53
Did you go look at the ID threads in FAQs? Try the "Eureka" thread first, and scroll down to ID.

Sounds Israeli to me.

Jeffrey K Hampshire
January 22, 2003, 10:56
Well Ted, I did the old searcharoo thing and the FAQ thing and found nada.

I pulled the handguards and the only markings I can find are a very faint number on left side of gas block and a "T" on the breach at 6 o'clock.

I compared the gas block to an Izzy light barrel gas block (open ear) that I have and there is no resemblance, this block outwardly looks like an inch unit and the gas adjustment looks the same (albiet quite loose being overly large ID).

I have to correct my description slightly, the sight post has a square area ostensibly for a wrench to hold while tioghtening with a small round pot on top, the jamb nut (for want of a better word) has the opposing notches cut all the way through from top to bottom. Removing the sight reveals no holes for detents, etc. just a dead flat circular area for the "jamb nut" to seat against.

Anyone know where I can find detailed pics of an Indian front sight setup?

What about the mag release?

Mosin Guy
January 22, 2003, 11:10
Hey Jeffrey K Hampshire,What you have is a Indian Ishapore L1a Gas block and barrel and front sight post and washer,your mag release lever sounds like the Metric Isreali version mag release lever as they were the only ones to use the mag release lever with the hole through it.HTH

January 22, 2003, 11:18
Look at this ID thread (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38745&highlight=ID) for some Israeli pics.

NOTE: the Israelis did use an open-ear gas block on initial contracts, primarily (exclusively?) for the LB. The Indian foresight assembly resembles this most, even to the square adaptor. You have an Indian gas block on your Franken-FAL. Izzy mag release, as stated.

Wasn't sure if the "Indian" thread had all this info. Will try to find a pic.

Jeffrey K Hampshire
January 23, 2003, 21:41
Thanks for all the info guys, looks like these arent so odd after all:)

Another question, the gas block being Indian, does it have different dimensions in relation to the ID of the gas adjustment nut and the OD of the gas block? This one is significantly oversized and will not properly seat to allow for gas adjustment as designed. Any ideas?

Mosin Guy
January 24, 2003, 01:32
Yes the Indian Ishapore gas block takes a Indian gas regulator which is different than the regular L1A1 gas regulator.HTH

January 24, 2003, 02:23
Yes it's an Indian Fr. sight, here's a pic of mine.

No the gas regulators will not interchange. The Indian one mics at .725" The Commonwealth, or "inch" ones, go at .741.

I tried to exchange my Indian onto both my Cdn and Brits and can confirm that it is a no-go.

Jeffrey K Hampshire
January 24, 2003, 08:38
Thanks for the pics and measurements, I will mike mine tonight as I have a feeling that there is Brit regulator on my Indian gas block.

Anyone have an extra Indian gas regulator they want to sell/trade?

One more question, This rifle came with a metric rear sight, I purchased an Inch sight before I got the rifle and should receive it soon. Does the standard Inch rear sight coincide with the height of the Indian front?

Thanks guys

Sgt Rock
January 24, 2003, 09:45
I don't think so. My indian rear is definitely shorter than a standard inch. The aperture size looks the same but the aperture location is lower on the indian than the inch. Looks like the indian aperture is 1 aperture hole size shorter than brit.

Mosin Guy
January 24, 2003, 12:09
Also on the Indian ishapore rear folding sights the range is set by useing the push button on the rear sight housing just Like the Metric FALS are and not like the British L1A1 rear folding sights which use a detent and ball setup with No push button.HTH

Jeffrey K Hampshire
January 25, 2003, 13:08
Well shucks! I just got a beautiful inch rear sight from another member, can I drill a new aperature to make it right?

Sgt Rock, could you please measure the height of the aperature from the sight leaf pivot pin hole to the center of the aperature?

Actually, this rifle came with a metric rear sight, how close is it to being of proper height compared to the Indian?

Thanks guys, I greatly appreciate your help :bow:

January 25, 2003, 21:55
Originally posted by Jeffrey K Hampshire
Sgt Rock, could you please measure the height of the aperature from the sight leaf pivot pin hole to the center of the aperature?

Actually, this rifle came with a metric rear sight, how close is it to being of proper height compared to the Indian?

Thanks guys, I greatly appreciate your help :bow:

Look in this thread:

FAL Sight Measurements Thread (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18076)

There is a lot of info here on the Falfiles, if you look hard enough!

Jeffrey K Hampshire
January 25, 2003, 23:04
Thanks Falophile, precisely what I needed:cool: