PDA

View Full Version : Technical: Aluminum magazines any good???

garandman
January 20, 2003, 09:36
Found a place selling Fabrique National Hestal alluminum mags.

Are they any good???

Are DSA's mags steel???

Are the alum mags durable????

Thanx.

(sorry if this is the 800th time this has been asked)

EMDII
January 20, 2003, 09:51
I carried them for a bit in Saudi Arabia. 18 months, no problems. Scuff more easily in real service, but you won't know any difference.

kotengu
January 20, 2003, 10:21
I haven't used them as much as Ted, but they've worked fine for me as well.

Only thing I don't like about them is they don't "drop free" when they're empty and you hit the mag release (like the steel do).

BlueNavion
January 20, 2003, 11:20
Ditto on what kotengu said.
Only used them for range work, but I love em.
Best deal by far is board member "vorbek"s ,(they are almost new) , as Ted would say
"use the search function"
HTH

Ned

Shrike
January 20, 2003, 11:39
Originally posted by EMDII
I carried them for a bit in Saudi Arabia. 18 months, no problems. Scuff more easily in real service, but you won't know any difference.

Just curious Ted, what were you doing in Saudi Arabia carrying aluminum FAL mags? Yes, I used the search function.
Mike :devil:

RS39
January 20, 2003, 18:14
My 2 function fine, and I loved the new $9 mag show price. I expect my steel mags to outlast them (dents ?) though.

johnsopi
January 20, 2003, 19:45
I got 20 from I/O half used and half new I think there great. The used are all most as nice as the new.

ricochet
January 20, 2003, 19:49
I love mine. I bought a couple dozen and they have performed perfectly for years. I did have one that looked good, yet would not feed 100% reliable. It is not in my inventory.
Ted has more experience here- if he likes'em, I believe I will trust mine.

EMDII
January 21, 2003, 11:30
Originally posted by Shrike

Just curious Ted, what were you doing in Saudi Arabia carrying aluminum FAL mags? Yes, I used the search function.
Mike :devil:

You need to find a copy of SOF April 83. All is revealed, including the EvMod as a svelte man-of-the-world/military adventurer.
:wink:

The truth: A USGI contract wherein I served as an advisor to the SANG, a wholly separate military personally loyal to the monarchy. We pulled border patrol (ambushes against Yemenis mostly), large Zone Reconnaissance, and strategic site security.

ANd yes, I really was in SOF.

P806
January 21, 2003, 13:14
Originally posted by kotengu
I haven't used them as much as Ted, but they've worked fine for me as well.

Only thing I don't like about them is they don't "drop free" when they're empty and you hit the mag release (like the steel do).

Strange....all my Vorbek alum mags drop free. I was thinking about another order of them.

Wadman
January 21, 2003, 14:15
Whether or not the alloy mags drop free may be related to the receiver they're used in.