PDA

View Full Version : Technical: Builders- who/what/where

Caanis Lupus
January 13, 2003, 12:30
I want to get 2 kits built out. Not right now but want to be ready for it when I want to do it.

One Imbel and the other is G3(I believe, need to get the box from a friends house to double check)...the double kit that Tapco sold a while back.

I need to get recievers and the US parts to complete the rifles, then to locate a builder to work their magic. I preffer local so I could just drive and drop the stuff off and then pick it up when ever. But I don't want to be afraid to pull the trigger on the rifles either or get reamed on the build cost. Also if the builder does refinishing also is even better.

Anyone out there have the info I am looking for?

Thanks in advance for any info or a general clue to the direction I should be looking.

: sorry thought the location was to the side...yes in fact I am in Houston

W.E.G.
January 13, 2003, 13:07
Originally posted by Caanis Lupus
I want to get 2 kits built out...I preffer local...

We need your coordinates Scotty!

idsubgun
January 13, 2003, 13:11
Originally posted by gary.jeter

We need your coordinates Scotty!

His profile says Houston.

There are quite a few members in the Houston area, try to hook up with one of them.
If you want to drive, I would recommend Sledgehammer (Randy Kline), in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. He seems to have a number of satisfied customers.

Caanis Lupus
January 13, 2003, 13:30
Originally posted by idsubgun

His profile says Houston.

There are quite a few members in the Houston area, try to hook up with one of them.
If you want to drive, I would recommend Sledgehammer (Randy Kline), in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. He seems to have a number of satisfied customers.

I was figuring on driving so Dallas/Fort Worth is not to out of the way. Just wanted to keep in the state so so I didn't have to deal with FFL and such for shipping.

Thanks for the response so far.

W.E.G.
January 13, 2003, 13:42
Sledgehammer does great work, and I recommend him highly.

Ed Vanden Berg does great work too. He is in Houston.

See http://vandenbergcustom.com

idsubgun
January 13, 2003, 13:48
Oops, yeah, I forgot about Ed.

Sorry Ed.:biggrin:

Caanis Lupus
January 17, 2003, 01:12
Good deal...thanks for the info. I hope to be sending Mr Vanden Berg some work his way in the not to far future. May kill the refund check on the builds. ;)

Pa. Patriot
January 17, 2003, 08:33
... Just wanted to keep in the state so so I didn't have to deal with FFL and such for shipping.

:? You don't need an FFL, or ship through an FFL to send a long gun to an FFL holder for 'smithing. You can ship direct to the FFL and they back to you once services completed. :)

bykerhd
January 17, 2003, 10:06
DCI and Imbel receivers were both on sale at FAC for $199 plus shipping to your FFL. DCI is U.S. made, Imbel is not. Don't know what they have in stock. The DCI would look good on the G-1 and the Imbel is a good choice for the Imbel. DSA receivers are excellent quality but over half again the price. FSE makes excellent hammer/trigger/sear combinations, cocking handles, gas pistons & muzzle devices. Penguin makes good replacement furniture for the beat up Imbel stuff and they are more U.S parts.
Stay away from the Century made parts. Poor quality.

Caanis Lupus
January 18, 2003, 23:11
Thanks once again for the info. FSE have a site or they advertise in Shotgun News? Just filled out the subscription online for it before I forget it again. ;) I will also need furniture since the stuff on the kits looks like it was used to hammer nails or something. :tongue: So I take Penguin is easier to get a hold of then the Bud Light one. :D As for the Century parts...I am dealing with those in my AKs...mushrooming soft crap for parts. I am not even gonna start on that, I would be here for hours ranting how asinie(sp?) I think the US part count is to the functioning of the rifle. Anyway, like i said thanks guys for the info and I look foward even more now to dropping some cash on getting these kits built.

Before it was more of impulse idea to get the kits and build them...then I was thinking...I don't know crap about building a firearm...then it became I can pay someone with the tools and knowledge to build them...yeah...thats the ticket. :bow:

Haze
January 19, 2003, 00:51
FAC sells a US parts kit that is hard to beat. You get the FSE H/T/S plus a Penguin furniture set for $88. The part # is 6PACK. Their website is http://www.gunsnstuff.net/

Caanis Lupus
February 18, 2003, 14:18
So who has the DCI and Imbel receivers in stock? Or should I just get two DCI? Skimmed a few posts with problems with the Imbel. Granted I am not building them myself yet, but I don't want to give a potential problem child to the builder(haven't contacted Ed yet since I don't have everything yet).

The G-1(my bad in the first post saying G3, at least I don't still call magzines clips;)) is going to get an Ironwood Designs stock set, once Matt gets thru the AK stocks(which I am getting two of also) and the Penguin on the Imbel. I just called FAC to get a catalog so I can start knocking out getting my US parts and hopefully recievers. Now the goverment just needs to get my tax return to me. :cry:

skfullgun
February 18, 2003, 22:23
I don't personally know Sledgehammer, but I've seen his work and it is first rate. I do know Ed VandenBerg, and I will vouch for his integrity and his expertise. I would think either of them would be a great choice for a professional build.

If you want to build it yourself, or be involved in the build, there are a number of us here in Houston who would be happy to supply the tools and our amateur expertise. There is nothing like building it yourself!

rob1
February 19, 2003, 11:03
FAC is the only game in town for Coonan receivers.

bykerhd
February 19, 2003, 11:19
I doubt experienced 'smiths/builders like Ed VandenBerg or Sledgehammer would find any issues with Imbel receivers that they could not overcome. Assuming they even ran in to any. Ask them if you like, but either Imbel or DCI will probably not be an issue.

perdurabo
February 19, 2003, 12:09
Most of the good FAL smiths in Texas tend to be on the upper end in terms of what they charge for their services, which may not be worth it.

I personally recommend Tony Marshburn at M&M Gunsmithing in Atlanta, GA. His prices are among the lowest in the business but his quality is top notch. As good, if not better, than the work I have gotten from outfits like ARS and DSA. Because of his great prices and good reputation, he has a lot of work on his hands so his turn-around time is a little longer than most, but its well worth it. Tony also offers discounts to FAL Files members.

Since you dont need an FFL transfer to ship to Tony and he pays for return shipping, your shipping bill to get the rifle to him would certainly be less than the sales tax you would pay by using a Texas gunsmith to do the build.

M&M Gunsmithing's website:

http://bellsouthpwp.net/g/u/gunsmith_tony/default.html

Alexit
February 19, 2003, 12:28
Not to Hi-jack this thread, but how about creating a list of builders by area somewhere in the forums(FAQ?) I'm from Minnesota, but staying in Wisconsin right now, so I'd like to find someone local for both places ('cause I think one FAL will not be enough...)

gunsmith_tony
February 19, 2003, 12:57
Originally posted by Alexit
Not to Hi-jack this thread, but how about creating a list of builders by area somewhere in the forums(FAQ?) I'm from Minnesota, but staying in Wisconsin right now, so I'd like to find someone local for both places ('cause I think one FAL will not be enough...)

Actually...that's not a bad idea. People are always asking who does what...and where. Perhaps it could go somewhere in FAQ. No advertisements mind you, just contact name, number, email, and location.
What do you think Ted?

Caanis Lupus
February 19, 2003, 14:01
ACK!

Stirred up trouble did I? :wink:

A database would be cool, just have to make sure newbies to the board(like me) would find it. I do have to admit I didn't search to see if there was a list or anything. Just don't use the dremel on me!!! :bow:

gunsmith_tony
February 19, 2003, 20:31
Not to worry.
Thanks Ted.