View Full Version : Technical: notes on grades of FAL steel

January 08, 2003, 23:31
During the project of making FAL45acp and 22cal conversions I have chopped, sawed, drilled, milled and dremilled parts from Australia, UK, Belgium and South Africa.

Here is what I have found so far.

The South African steel is the softest and barrels are realitively easy to drill the rifling out of.

The UK barrels are a little harder but not bad. The bolts are very tuff to drill or even mill. But carbide mills work pretty good after I have cut the surface with a grinder.

The Belgium steel is wicked stuff. I have to special mark the Belgium barrels that are to be drilled out, they have to change the lathe speeds for them. The bolts are very tuff to drilll or mill, I gave up on that. Even grinding them is difficult. While grinding the locking shoulder off a bolt, the darn thing nearly destroyed my good quality grinder wheel.

Something to play with there.

January 09, 2003, 01:28
If you get a chance to work on S. American or Austrian, post those results too!

January 09, 2003, 11:26
Easiest way I've found to cut stuff like those kryponite bolts is to use a wet saw. The wheel heats up the part you are cutting/grinding, and it hardens. Instead of cutting through surface hardening, you are cutting hardened steel the whole time.

Using a wet saw keeps this from happening. It still is some really tough ass metal to cut though.

January 09, 2003, 19:20
this is a good report!...........how about Austrian?? TIA, orca