PDA

View Full Version : OT- How good are your 4x4s offroad?

Wobblin' Goblin
January 27, 2001, 20:55
I have an '87 Nissan Hardbody pickup. It has an extracab, V-6, and SE trim.

I have not witnessed any other registered vehicle get around better offroad. In the snow, with a little weight in the bed, I can drive almost exclusively in 2 wheel drive, except in the most extreme conditions. During the rest of the year it hauls me and my wife around virtually anywhere we go sans pavement.

Anybody else got a good one?

------------------
The Wobblin' Goblin has spoken.

armedalaskan
January 27, 2001, 21:02
I got a 1978 Ford Bronco that will take me anywhere I want to go. Only got it stuck a few times and that was in mu over the bumper, so I think many others would have come to the same fate. But it is a pain to keep up. There is always something that is not working right and needs fixing.

But it looks bad ass with ST-58 hanging in the side window. I get some stares while driving down the road. http://www.fnfal.com/forums/smile.gif

armedalaskan

------------------
FEAR THE GOVERNMENT WHO FEARS YOUR GUNS
A Philosophical Mind

Dan at VOW
January 27, 2001, 21:44
I like my 4x4's, got to have them, of course I like the odd ball stuff. I have owned a bunch, but would like to end up with a Unimog. Most recent was just to play with, 79 Jeep Golden Eagle, 360, auto, with quadra-trac, running condition for 400.00 Here are links to a couple more. http://www.fnfal.com/forums/biggrin.gif Dan
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=449755&a=3311236&p=33329633
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=449755&a=3311236&p=33329635
PS, the panel really does good, snow, mud, whatever. Weighs almost 7,000 lbs empty. 12,000 lb PTO winch up front.

Gaspipe
January 27, 2001, 22:07
The best one I ever had was a '72 IH Scout II with the 345 gas motor. It was a tank. I sold it when it had 172k on it.

I have '97 F350 4x4 Crewcab diesel now and it is like driving a schoolbus with 4wd. Not good in the sticks or offroad like the Scout, but it would probably pull a house down. I feel like Austin Powers trying to turn the behemoth around.

------------------
Gaspipe.....
User of an auto-loading, gas operated battle rifle.

Bruce Allen
January 27, 2001, 23:52
I use a '88 Chevy K1500 4X4. I have taken that truck every where. I really like it. I ran through a rut one time I thought was about 3 feet deep with water. WRONG! It washed up over the hood in two places. Scared the fool out of me, well almost ;-)).

I have been stuck 1 one time and that was early on when I was real inexperienced. The mud was hip deep. Washed crud from it for days after that.

jon coppenbarger
January 28, 2001, 00:07
had quite a few differant 4x4. a couple of ranger pickups with the v6 took those a lot of places. took a few jeeps up the rubicon. have a cherokee right now and like it a lot but don't try to take it to many bad places when I hunt anymore. the only time I really got stuck was in a 78 toyota land cruiser. was on a dirt road to my cabin in northern ca. was on that road a thousand times. it was hunting season and raining cats and dogs, going in on a friday night and did not know they had just put in a new culvert. sank that thing down to the cab. took four hours to get it out with a wench. just noplace to hook up to. had to drive stakes. man what a mess.

vegas
January 28, 2001, 00:08
I bought a 2000 land rover discovery series II last august and I love it!

About the only thing that can out perform it off-road is a hummer.

I had an 79 cj-5 with a 304 years ago and beleive me the disco would put it to shame.

SrBenelli
January 28, 2001, 00:25
76 CJ-5 with an AMC 304.....damn thing's a mountain goat! Though it has limited cargo capacity, UNLIKE the 'Rover Discovery, scratches and dents add character!!! http://www.fnfal.com/forums/biggrin.gif

------------------
If we could just get everyone to close their eyes for 15 minutes and visualise world peace, imagine how quiet...how serene it would be....till the looting started!

vegas
January 28, 2001, 00:38
You've got a good point about the scratches and dings......but if I could put a gun mount on the hood with a cutout in the windshield.

damn that may just add some character

BUFF
January 28, 2001, 03:53
I had a '74 Ford Bronco with the 302 for a long time, from '75 until '89. 160,000 miles. It had the limited slip rear, but not front, axle. I went an amazing number of places with it. It had the shortest turning radius of any commercially available 4wd you could buy, turned around in a lot smaller circle than my '68 VW Beetle had. I would buy a new one if they made them now. Rust eats them up , though.

I replaced it with a new '87 Ford F-250 with the 460 engine. Limited slip rear end. I have gone everywhere I pointed it at, but truthfully have never tried to take it places I used to take the Bronco becaseue I don't want to bang it up! I've only got 41,000 miles on it now, been to Alaska once, to Glacier and Waterton N.P.'s another time, all over the state of Idaho and western Wyoming, but truthfully don't use the 4wd very much. It sure is nice in the snow, though! Good truck.

I truthfully think driver skill means a lot more than what kind of 4wd vehicle you have. Just like guns.

BUFF

[This message has been edited by BUFF (edited January 28, 2001).]

Mt_Guerrilla
January 28, 2001, 04:18
You guys need this web page!! Call it a hunch, but I'd bet anything some of you have photos already posted on this site.

***WARNING!!!! NOT FOR THE SQUEEMISH!!***
http://www.mulletsgalore.com/

EMDII
January 28, 2001, 06:38
Get a Pinzgauer. That's Austrian for 'Mobile FN FAL rifle rack". They're available on the surplus vehicles market, for 16K to 20K in G to VG condition. FUN!

I don't have one, but have ridden one on a jaunt! YeeeeeeHaaa!

http://www.fnfal.com/forums/wink.gif

------------------
1*.....Train Like You Fight: Second Place is NOT an Option.

E.M. (Ted) Dannemiller II

paintballmagnet
January 28, 2001, 07:43
It's not street legal, but my Kawasaki mule has done a pretty good job of handling anything I've tried so far. (My bugout vehicle)

Regal Beagal
January 28, 2001, 08:13
I have had a couple of 4x4s. My first was a 1987 Ford Bronco with the 302 v8 and a 5 speed. It was a great vehicle never had any problems with it. Of course, it only had 48000 miles on it when I traded it in for a Honda Accord for the wife. Can you say, STUPID, STUPID, STUPID...!!! To replace the Bronco I decided to go "truck" this time but smaller. I bought a used 1989 Toyota 4x4, v6 with the extended cab. It currently has 136000 miles on it and is still truckin'. I have taken that truck every where and pulled campers and trailers long distances, through mountains and hills. I've taken it hunting down in Alabama, Texas and NC in all kinds of conditions. I almost got stuck one time in a deep mud rut/wash out but that was because I tried to floor the truck through it instead of taking my time and easing it through it and letting the 4x4 do the work. I currently use it as a work truck hauling lawn equipment, constuction equip., ladders, etc... Its beat all to pieces and I keep telling myself I'm going to pull/pop all of the dents and have her repainted but heck it's a work/hunting truck. The only problem I've had out of her has been a bad starter, which was relatively easy to replace. She has just recently developed a hanging lifter, so I have a feeling I may be putting her in the shop for some engine work. Other things are starting to wear and will need to be replaced. Overall, I can't complain-I have really abused this truck and it has kept running like a top up until now. I've decided I'm going to spend the money and get her back in shape to strictly use as a hunting truck. The only thing I miss with this truck is a posi trac rearend. She tends to fish tail on wet pavement when you you have to make a sharp turn. I would like to have a bigger truck next just because of the business I'm in and I need the larger hauling capability. I've thought about a GMC truck but I may look at the Toyota just because this one has given me such good service. RB

cvl engr
January 28, 2001, 11:06
Gaspipe- what kind of milage do you get? what tranny, gear ratio?
Don't sell yourself completely short.2WD diesel pickups SUCK,they are helpless on slick grass, too much torque, not enough weight distribution, but 4wd diesels can get around better than most would think. The abillity to have full torque at a low RPM has gotten me out of more than one situation my innattention, carelessness got me into.

cvl engr
January 28, 2001, 11:15
Gas pipe- My first engine was a chevy diesel many years/miles/thousands in repairs later I parked it, my second was a gas chevy (gave that one away), swithched to international/ ford combo and never looked back. My 92 F250 xtned cab,4.10's, 7.3 IDI w/5 spd would get 16.8-18.5 depending on how hard I pushed her. Sold it a 305,000 miles, got tired of fixing everything but te engine!2000 F-350, powerstroke,3.73's extened cab, 6-sd, intercooled, very fun. Thought I would get better milage with more power/taller gears; get 16.8-18.5 WTF?

KingSlug
January 28, 2001, 11:35
I have a 94 Land Rover Defender 90, new age un-paralleled offroad kick ass babe-magnet, puts all late model jeeps to shame and some early model jeeps (but at least early jeep have history) but now I am married so my wife drives it. Now to my Unimog, I challenge anyone to have a better stock vehicle with front and rear PTO (winch), Locking diffs, OEM gun rack, 12 foward gears 2 reverse gears (not including extra crawler gears OEM), an 88 Hp gas engine (compression of 2:1), an Articulating frame, Portal axels, with a 1 1/2 ton Payload that can out preform it except in acceleration.

KingSlug

AR308and223
January 28, 2001, 11:52
I have a 92 Isuzu Trooper, with over 250,000 miles on it http://www.fnfal.com/forums/eek.gif and on only 3 occasions did it break down! 1) Had to replace the starter 2) had to have a rear wheel bearing replaced 3) Gas pump needed to be replaced. Most people that see it can't believe it's a 92, still looks great. Granted, most of these have been highway miles, but it's seen it share of the back forty also http://www.fnfal.com/forums/smile.gif

Wish I could afford another, these damn yuppies got there hands on them and they now only come furnished like a Lincoln Continental! http://www.fnfal.com/forums/mad.gif

CJ-7
January 28, 2001, 12:32
83 AMC CJ-7 360 ,Auto ,ARB air locking differentials.I don't get stuck often but believe me anything can get stuck or break.Thats when a winch,Hi-Lift jack and friends come in handy.Jeeps are #1

Gaspipe
January 29, 2001, 00:04
Cvl Engr: - my 'schoolbus' has a 4.10 pumpkin f/r and gets on the road about 17-17.5 mpg, depending on speed. It has the autotrans/slushbox and the Powerstroke t/d.

It is the long w/b model - 4 door cab and long bed, but single rear wheels rather than the mailbox smasher dually.

I like it - it pulls like a locomotive (hey, I have nine locomotives, so I know), but is so long, it requires a harbor pilot and about 10 miles to do a k-turn.

It slogs through anything, as long as you don't have to negotiate any tight turns - that's where I really miss my old Scout.

------------------
Gaspipe.....
User of an auto-loading, gas operated battle rifle.

BMB
January 29, 2001, 00:05
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=642914&a=4688528&p=38957703

This ones pretty good off road and its for sale if interested.

I have a Toyota 4x that has been very good to me. It has run in 12" of snow, done some power line trails that are more than just dirt roads and generally has done all that I have asked. Its pretty much stock, just a good set of aggressive tires, heavy duty shocks, and real locking hubs on the front. I know its limitations, so that really keeps me out of trouble.
My problem is four wheel drives are becoming like rifles, you really can't get by with just one. My collection, if I could afford it, would consist of a Jeep CJ7, Kaiser/Jeep M715, Dodge Power Wagon WM300, Steyer Pinzguar, Mercedes Unimog, and a M37.
That would hold me for a while.

BMB

jon coppenbarger
January 29, 2001, 00:23
man had a neibor(god rest his soul)with a early 70's bronco, took out the 302 put in a 351 and a truck four speed with that granny first gear and put in a large gas tank in the back when we went far out. that thing would go anyplace and forever. fill up in sac. ca. and drive to colorado with out getting gas. all those landrovers and hummers,ect are very nice but don't see to many of them going up trails like the rubicon. like to see a new rover trapped on some rocks and have to be dragged threw the little or big sluce box. on the jeeps just change the body panels and when you brake something you just get out and weld it back on. for mud and ruff terrain get a rover or hummer. I see them going threw some deep ruts, cross those streams, great in sand and they run forever. but you can't beat a jeep for going every place you want to go. and if it won't get there by a honda 4x4 bike.

tool
January 29, 2001, 00:35
My unmodified factory 1993 Grand Cherokee with a straight six and standard transmission does really well for what it was built for: bad road conditions, muddy roads, snow, ice, etc. Of course, it is not meant for the serious off-road stuff you guys are talking about, but it will hold its own as long as you don't bottom out the thing or drown it. I've had it so deep in mudd before that water was above the side-step (and water coming through the door and flooding the floorboard) and it still kept crawling. I've thought about getting a lift kit, but there are more FALs to built now...

[This message has been edited by tool (edited January 29, 2001).]

jon coppenbarger
January 29, 2001, 00:57
yes tool its a funny feeling when that water is coming in. I have the same thing in a 95 and if my better half caught me with water running in it I don't think she would let me drive it anymore. had my brother and sister in the back of a landcruiser and was fording a flooded stream and they started screaming theres water coming in. and I wasn't even to the deep part yet. I think they still remember that.

Enquiring Minds
January 29, 2001, 06:57
So Wobblin', how's that Nissan holding up?

I make do with a Ranger 4x4 Sport Supercab. It's not the mondo-beastmaster, but it gets me far from the RAV4/Escape/CRV crowd.

The engine is not quite what Toyota and Nissan offer, but for the HUGE diff in price (and dealer arrogance), I can buy a LOT more toys to tow and shoot. It's only a 3.0 V6, but a manual tranny stretches that a little.

OTOH, with the steel deck lid on, it gets 22mpg on the hwy. And it's got adjustable torsion bars so I keep stiffening it up over time as the shocks wear out... http://www.fnfal.com/forums/wink.gif

I no longer have to get out to lock the hubs, but I still get out to walk-check the dicey spots, and a spike/shovel combo entrenching tool is always on board. It came with the "exploding Firestone recall" tires, so when I cash in on that little windfall, maybe I'll get the next size up so I don't sink quite as deep in sand.

Tom S
January 29, 2001, 07:14
I had more than a few 4x4s over the years, including GM pickups and Suburbans. Had a 75 Dodge POWER WAGON with 318-V8 and 36 inch Mudder Tires and it was awesome. Right now I drive a 86 Ford F-150 4x4 5.0L with 9.50 X
30 inch rubber and have a 79 Chevy 4x4 shortbox(400 ci) with 33 inch tires on the side. Yeah-I gotten stuck. If you have not ever been stuck you have not gone into the mudholes I've been thru. There are limits!

jwv3
January 29, 2001, 08:48
'74 CJ-5 Renegade. 304 V8, alloy mags, and rust are all original from the factory. It has taken me through a lot of places I wasn't sure it would make it or not.

I'd like to pick up a Unimog or a Pinzgauer someday (if I could stop spending all my $ on guns).

[This message has been edited by jwv3 (edited January 29, 2001).]

Wobblin' Goblin
January 29, 2001, 21:51
Enquiring Minds,

The Nissan is doing just fine, thank you. It has 185,000 on it. I, too, adjust my front torsion bars as they sag, but I do believe they are maxed out now. The truck rides real well and gets 22 mpg on the highway too (about 16-17 around town).

True story: My cousin and three of his buddies went four-wheeling through a state forest couple years back. His Bronco II got stuck in a snow drift miles away from civilization. Two of the guys nearly froze to death hiking out to get help. The next morning, my uncle called up, asking for help looking for his son. We took the Nissan out through the snowmobile trails, not knowing where they were but eventually found them.
We used come-a-longs to pull the Bronco out then made our way back. On the way back, we met no less than five vehicles out looking for them and EACH ONE GOT STUCK while I was around.
The Nissan never did get stuck and I even took her off the packed trails to get around the other vehicles!

Yeah, it's a keeper.

------------------

Frontsight!
January 30, 2001, 01:03
Well, having been Pres of a pretty big 4x4 club, I've been in that realm a bit.

I have an '81 Toyota Land Cruiser (FJ40) with a TBI 350, SM420 tranny (7.06:1 1st gear), ARB air lockers front and rear, a spring-over lift with 2" lift springs, 33" tires which are too small and look funny, so they'll be 36" Super Swampers when I stop buying guns, full roll cage, racing harnesses, 9K # Warn winch, and a few other tricks. Yeah, she'll go. In fact, if you're stupid, she'll kill you because she won't stop when she gets to something bad...just keeps on going. You really have to use your brain when the truck doesn't see obstacles as obstacles.

The other...a '78 Ford Super Cab Long Bed F-250 4x4, with a 400 cid engine, C-6 tranny, Dana 205 t-case, and Dana 60 full floaters front and rear (of course all front axles are full floaters). This is actually my SHTF rig, as she'd be mighty hard to stop at 3.5 tons dry. Did I mention the Orange Cream paint? It's so cool...Orange on the main body, with the hood and a 4" stripe down the side that's a light orange "cream" color. Ford original.

HUD
January 30, 2001, 02:06
Pinzgauers (aka extremely mobile FAL carrying devices) can be bought here in Colorado for under 8K in excellent condition. The largest Pinzgauer dealer in the country is 15 miles away from me on HWY 85 just south of Littleton. Most of the Pinzgauer owners here also own at least one FAL and when we take them off-road where other vehicles can not go we take them properly equipped.

Jon in Colorado
"Which FAL should I put in the Pinzgauer today?"

Enquiring Minds
January 30, 2001, 02:39
It has 185,000 on it... it's a keeper.

Wobblin' Goblin, sounds like it is... but admit it, you saw that new rad-styled supercharged Nissan pickup sitting on the lot, and you slowed down a little... maybe started "selling it" to the wife... http://www.fnfal.com/forums/wink.gif

Not surprised about your cousin. I remember those Bronco-II's always had the wimpiest skinniest tires on them. I'd guess snow performance is similar to sugar sand--i.e. GVWeight divided by tire footprint + tread design. Once sunk past a certain depth, more torque will not save you.

As truck buyers we're ALL hosed by low-tech leftovers: iron blocks, massive t-cases (derived from 1930's PTO units for farm use) and extra shafts, etc., all of which weigh us down in the muck. Think of what an aluminum block would do for both "buoyancy" and center of grav. At the other extreme, dune buggies are able to get it done with 2WD.

Look at how much LESS machinery Subaru uses to get torque to all 4 wheels, AND that includes F-to-R differential, so nothing gets stressed on dry pavement. These AWD systems I've seen do NOT, however, have a 4LOW range, but I'm sure that could be included, maybe just an extra-low 1st gear or...?

January 30, 2001, 10:26
I have a 1999 ford expedition xlt, 5.4 liter, 4x4, tow package. Its big. uses lots of gas, 14 mpg highway, really sucks gas offroad. can carry 8 passengers with no problem. Usually carries myself, wife, two childredn. I have climbed some rocky, rutted roads on navajo rez/northwest new mexico with no problems. it's good in mud/snow, heavy vehicle, don't need any sandbags. My major bitch - the skid plates don't provided enough protection from rocks. The front transfer case projects below the skid plate and can be damaged on rocks, which is poor design for a 4x4. My other complaint - the vehicle is wide and scratches against trees, bushes on narrow roads. got it because of lots of accidents here due to drunk drivers, about 50% of new mexicans don't have insurance and most drive ford/chevy/dodge half ton and 3/4 ton pickups which can do major damage to small/medium sized vehicles.
My wife really likes it. I would rather drive a toyota 4runner or tacoma off road.

jeffrey
January 30, 2001, 12:30
'76 Dodge W200 POWER WAGON...after leaving
the Ozarks for Illinois flatland,sold it to
scrape up down pmt. for our first house.
As long as you knew your limitations that
truck would not strand you.You guys are right.The quality of the driver is more
important than the vehicle.
Now I drive a Cherokee.It's great on snow
and ice,but don't want to beat the sh*%^t
out of it off road cuz it's my office on
wheels. Besides, the original owner was too
stupid to order the limited slip diffs.
After it gets too ugly to call on my customers anymore, maybe I'll turn it into
a real off-road vehicle. Really like the
4.0 liter six.
You guys with the Unimogs,Pinzgauers,and
hummers make me sick in a jealous kind
of way http://www.fnfal.com/forums/smile.gif

jeffrey
January 30, 2001, 12:30
'76 Dodge W200 POWER WAGON...after leaving
the Ozarks for Illinois flatland,sold it to
scrape up down pmt. for our first house.
As long as you knew your limitations that
truck would not strand you.You guys are right.The quality of the driver is more
important than the vehicle.
Now I drive a Cherokee.It's great on snow
and ice,but don't want to beat the sh*%^t
out of it off road cuz it's my office on
wheels. Besides, the original owner was too
stupid to order the limited slip diffs.
After it gets too ugly to call on my customers anymore, maybe I'll turn it into
a real off-road vehicle. Really like the
4.0 liter six.
You guys with the Unimogs,Pinzgauers,and
hummers make me sick in a jealous kind
of way http://www.fnfal.com/forums/smile.gif

Tiburon
January 30, 2001, 12:41
I have an 85 Toyota 4 Runner, old style with the removable top. The removable top is great in the summer for camping, varmint hunting, mountain bike hauling, cruising,.... I put in an ARB differential locker system, best money I ever spent on it. My 4 Runner is great in the snow and mud. A bit under powered but that is being remedied as we speak.

Used to own a International Scout 80. I love those removable tops. I kick myself for selling it. It only went 50 mph, but it could go straight up or down anything in my path.

Mr. Pink
January 30, 2001, 12:42
Originally posted by Wobblin' Goblin:

Anybody else got a good one?

My AWD eclipse don't go so hot in the woods and deep mud, but it runs like a raped ape on any type of pavement, including snow and ice covered.... http://www.fnfal.com/forums/biggrin.gif

FALPhil
January 30, 2001, 12:54
HUD,

Is that Pat Robb's place you are talking about? http://www.fnfal.com/forums/smile.gif

Originally posted by HUD:
Pinzgauers (aka extremely mobile FAL carrying devices) can be bought here in Colorado for under 8K in excellent condition. The largest Pinzgauer dealer in the country is 15 miles away from me on HWY 85 just south of Littleton.

CSAcavalry
January 30, 2001, 19:39
Had 2 Scouts in the past.
In black mud of the coastal plains they were hard to beat. But in the clay of the mountains (Blue Ridge) if its wet aint nothing much will go. Presently use a 72
Chevy 3/4 ton converted to duals with a 350
under the hood. It goes when pratical but let me tell you if you have to depend on anything. GET A HORSE!!
Hey, I know Gents, I work out in it all the time, a side hill wet just puts you down in the bottom.
GET A HORSE!! FOUR LEGGED KIND.
CScav

Wobblin' Goblin
January 30, 2001, 19:40
I don't know, guys. The new Nissan Frontier p/ups don't do much for me. I really like the Hardbody style.

I was rather disappointed with the Frontier when it came out. Now that the "new" Frontiers are available, the first ones look downright handsome. http://www.fnfal.com/forums/frown.gif

I really don't want to sound like an idiot, but while I'd love to have a Hummer ("honey, it's only $60,000..."), in every condition I've driven in my Nissan excelled. I can't complain at all. Especially given the fact I bought it for $5,000 seven years ago.

------------------

jon coppenbarger
January 31, 2001, 01:38
hud in colorado I do not have much experience in alot of exotic. . maybe I should go and look and some and widen my perspective a little. do they have the ground clerance like on bmb's red jeep in his post. I can only speak for what I have been threw and experienced and the rubicon trail and the wrights lake trail plus a few others are very bad . if you take five jeeps the odds are fairly good you are going to break something on one of them. I will give you a example: I took a three wheel honda up the wrights lake trail and passed a group of about 15 jeeps and land cruisers and they were trying to go up one of the boulder fields up on a side ridge. I passed them on the bike and went to the lake had lunch and cooled off in the lake then went back and they were just getting the last two jeeps up the ridge. the rovers would most likely not have a problem but what a way to treat a $40,000 plus vehical and I don't think the replacement parts most of us carry would be to cheap either. the hummers wheel base would kill them. I could see a lot of hung up hummers. but maybe they are great for rock hopping. saw some trucks do it so anythings possible. let me know the address of the place that sells those pinzgauers. we are planning on going up that way on friday heading over to glenwood springs and aspen for a few days. saw a lot of people from out of state slide off of the roads when the clay on the western slopes get wet and muddy. they must not know the only way to get around in that kind of condition is to chain up all fours and still there are places you do not want to go.

January 31, 2001, 02:08
i drive an old humdinger of a truck, its a 1958 Land Rover Series 1, only been stuck once and thats because it used to have old buggered radial tyres on it, i hiffed those things and never looked back, its filled with empty cartridge cases of various calibers from many a fun (and deafning) night of spotlighting bunnies and other critters http://www.fnfal.com/forums/biggrin.gif
she takes me where i want to go so i dont need new fangled teknoligy for that!!
happy hunting!

TREADMARKS
January 31, 2001, 06:14
My bestest truck yet....FORD rocks..

http://geocities.com/terrydeaton.geo/cowcatcher.JPG

------------------
Aim for the nose, if you miss, you still win.
SAR-48 Para, Bush, & Izzy HB
THE TOYBOX (http://geocities.com/terrydeaton.geo/action.htm)
Good... Bad... I'm the one with the gun.

Scott S
January 31, 2001, 10:36
The only vehicle that goes further offroad than a 4x4 is a rental.

garandman
January 31, 2001, 13:16
Originally posted by Wobblin' Goblin:

I was rather disappointed with the Frontier when it came out. Now that the "new" Frontiers are available, the first ones look downright handsome. http://www.fnfal.com/forums/frown.gif

Gotta go with Wobblin', here. It looks as if Nissan had a surplus of plastic at the factory, and used it all up in designing the new Frontier. There's just too much "crap" on it. It looks like a Go-Bot ('member them???? ), that morphes into a washing machine or something. Its just plumb ugly.

My opinion, YMMV.

------------------
I let the M-1 do my talking...

Enquiring Minds
February 01, 2001, 00:22
Yeah, saw one of the new Nissans on the road today, pretty goofy... I just want the supercharged V6 that's inside.

If my Ford limited-slip diffs get too slippy after warranty, it's ARB air-locker time!