PDA

View Full Version : Technical: Fred's Locking Shoulder jigs

EMDII
December 15, 2002, 11:15
Fred has developed an innovative LS jig set that avoids hammers, bashing, busted fingers, and refinishing. He has made them from readily available materials such as ABS sheet stock and alluminium channel. Enclosed are the materials. As they are large pics and files, I will attach them separately. Copy to your Drives, and open in the appropriate software.

Fred says the following:
I have no idea if there is a market for these as that was not the reason for making them. Given the time it took to make them, with no CNC or digital readout, on the mill I think they would too expensive for most.
However for someone with access to CNC equipment, these would be a snap to produce.

I am glad that they can be of use to others.

Fred Husher

W/O further ado:

11-24-02

To aid the insertion and extraction of the locking shoulder on the FAL the following fixtures shown below were developed.

- LS Insertion jig
- LS Extraction jig
- Clamp on pin for press

After having built a number of FALs it became clear that some jigs would be of value so that the assembly could be done with one person using a press. It was desired that no damage to the receiver would be acceptable during either insertion or extraction of the LS pin. The first attempts were done using some hardwood laminated to mate with the receiver so that a level surface would be realized. While OK it did not have alignment pins to link with the receiver. As often as not the receiver would move about relative to the hole on the wooden jig for the LS pin and I would damage the wood. The result was the creation of the jigs as shown. The clamp on driving pin allowed me to only have to deal with the press handle and the receiver/barrel assembly: one hand for each.

The drawings for the two jigs are below. They were constructed from ABS block as I had some around from something that I had stripped and the material would ensure that no marks would be put onto the receiver. One might think a plastic as inappropriate as it is too soft. However, with the large area of contact between the receiver, jig, and press anvil no damage occurs to the plastic blocks. I will leave it to the builder to modify as needed to use what materials are at hand.

For those who want the complete set un-redux'd, send me an E-MAIL and I'll zip them it. Pretty good sized files. ISP limitations may apply.

Templator
December 15, 2002, 11:19
drawings?

EMDII
December 15, 2002, 11:23
LS installation jig pic

EMDII
December 15, 2002, 11:24
LS extraction jig pic

EMDII
December 15, 2002, 11:25
LS installation jig drawing